Sabor Restaurant - Thoughts? Opinions?

cjdixon4

We've loved Sabor since first introduced on the Navigator. Now it's our favorite specialty restaurant on Royal. Not TexMex, more upscale, different and delicious! Guacamole prepared table side is the best and try to save room for their dessert!

We were big fans of Sabor, on the Navigator. All the food was excellent, including the fantastic guacamole.

I think this is one of my favorite restaurants aboard any ship I have been on. I like the setup on Navigator, which was a cover charge vs. a la carte.

I'm a little bit confused on this. If you pay the flat fee, Can you eat anything on the menu or do you have to pay the additional costs that say a la cart? In other words, what is included for the 15 lunch and the 25 dinner? This is my first Royal trip. Thanks

I'm a little bit confused on this. If you pay the flat fee, Can you eat anything on the menu or do you have to pay the additional costs that say a la cart? In other words, what is included for the 15 lunch and the 25 dinner? This is my first Royal trip. Thanks

Sabor is confusing, because on some ships it's a flat fee, and other ships it's a la carte. On Navigator and Liberty, it's a flat fee. On Oasis and Allure, it's a la carte

On Oasis in April, it was our least favorite meal. Will give Freedom a chance next month. Maybe for lunch

I was just on last week, and they were ridiccccuuulouuusssllyyy slow and understaffed. Like busy to the point that one of the JR servers came over in full JR uniform and was running food. It definitely affected the quality of our meal, plus they forgot to bring out one dish entirely and tried to charge us for it.

I do not share the same affinity for their guac that other posters do. It was just OK for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I do think think the ambiance on Navigator (and most likely Liberty) is better than on Oasis class. Food tasted the same to us though.

Seems like the specialty margaritas there were around $12.

I agree about the empanadas. I can just have guac & chips and those and I'm happy.

We did Sabor on the Oasis with a la Carre ordering but we did as our waiter suggested and it worked out great... One of us ordered the meal deal option, where u get the guacamole, appetizers, entree, and dessert, and then the other just got an entree. We shared everything. It was still soo much food but saved us a few bucks. We loved it!

Sabor is confusing, because on some ships it's a flat fee, and other ships it's a la carte. On Navigator and Liberty, it's a flat fee. On Oasis and Allure, it's a la carte

Bob, what about Freedom which is the ship I'll be on in May?

We did Sabor on the Oasis with a la Carre ordering but we did as our waiter suggested and it worked out great... One of us ordered the meal deal option, where u get the guacamole, appetizers, entree, and dessert, and then the other just got an entree. We shared everything. It was still soo much food but saved us a few bucks. We loved it!

A le Carré ordering? Do you have to decode a menu provided to you by MI6 to place your order? :p

Bob, what about Freedom which is the ship I'll be on in May?

Freedom is also a flat fee. It's only Oasis and Allure that use the a'la carte system.

Edited by garnetpalmetto

The night we went to SABOR must have been a fluke. Everyone raves about it, but we did not have the same experience. We were sailing the Oasis and the place was packed. It was nice to see that the night we did go, there were many employees dining the from all different departments. This is usually a good sign. However, the restaurant was out of many items. I remember there were no jalapenos for the jalapeno margaritas and they were out of something else. We actually had our entire meal comped by the manager because we were there for 3 hours due to the slow service. We never were offered dessert, but I don't think we would have wanted it either, as I might still be waiting!!!

With all that said, I would like to try it again, but on a different ship.

The night we went to SABOR must have been a fluke. Everyone raves about it, but we did not have the same experience. We were sailing the Oasis and the place was packed. It was nice to see that the night we did go, there were many employees dining the from all different departments. This is usually a good sign. However, the restaurant was out of many items. I remember there were no jalapenos for the jalapeno margaritas and they were out of something else. We actually had our entire meal comped by the manager because we were there for 3 hours due to the slow service. We never were offered dessert, but I don't think we would have wanted it either, as I might still be waiting!!!

That's something I forgot. We had a lot of ships employees dining as well. I figured since it was so empty, they encouraged employees to try and make it look busier.

Looks like a bad experience on a bad night but I was on the Oasis last month and our experience was a good one. I would definitely go again and recommend it to others.

Hubby and I are beginning to consider restaurants/excursions that we want to book for our Freedom sailing. I am really interested in Sabor, because I love good Mexican food. Heard that it's a more upscale-type Mexican fare, and not the usual tamales, burritos, enchiladas etc...

Can anyone who has dined there previously share their Sabor experiences? Much appreciated! ;)

Ate at Sabor in November on Allure. Great food. Sailing Freedom in May and not sure we'll do it. On Allure it is a la carte pricing compared to a per-person cover charge on Freedom. $25 PP seems a little steep. We spent $40 total (with 2 margaritas) and we were STUFFED!! on Allure.

What is the cost to eat in Sabor? And is it one fee per person and then you eat whatever you want?

Thanks for any help!

That's been somewhat addressed earlier in the thread and depends, in part, on what ship you're going on. If it's on Oasis or Allure, it's a'la carte with a $19.95 sampler meal available. If you're on any ship but Oasis or Allure that has Sabor it's a $15 per person cover at lunch and $25 per person cover at dinner.

Edited by garnetpalmetto

Hubby and I are beginning to consider restaurants/excursions that we want to book for our Freedom sailing. I am really interested in Sabor, because I love good Mexican food. Heard that it's a more upscale-type Mexican fare, and not the usual tamales, burritos, enchiladas etc...

Can anyone who has dined there previously share their Sabor experiences? Much appreciated! ;)

From my review ...

Sabor is offering a lunch for $15. If I can get a reservation, I’ll give it a try. I did get a reservation at Sabor for 1:00pm. I went to Sabor for lunch. It is more or less a Mexican restaurant. Several officers where there also having lunch.

I had tacos as an appetizer and shrimp for the main course. Of course there are chips and the dip is made fresh at the table. I also ordered a drink. The drink cost $12!!! The entire lunch, including dessert is only $15. Speaking of dessert – WOW! They bring half a dozen different desserts. You don’t have to choose one because they give you the entire platter with all six desserts and a couple of dipping sauces. I ate most of the desserts. Very filling. Good thing I have late dinner.

ShipSV_1501_zpstrc4jv99.jpg

ShipSV_1502_zps9cpxarhl.jpg

ShipSV_1503_zpsg2lenshy.jpg

ShipSV_1760_zpsqv9vokvq.jpg

ShipSV_1762_zpshioobteu.jpg

Edited by Cuizer2