Please Help Me Convice My In Laws to go Cruising!

Kailuna

So I'm not a new cruiser. My husband and I LOVE CRUISES! We want to plan a family trip with his mom (50), his sister and her husband (both in their mid 20s), and their 2 kids (2 and 7). We know they would have an amazing time on a cruise because we've vacationed with them before and we think a cruise vacation would be perfect for them. One of their biggest hesitations is the feeling of being "stuck in the middle of the frickin' ocean". Any advice or any facts you guys can share to help us convince them?

So I'm not a new cruiser. My husband and I LOVE CRUISES! We want to plan a family trip with his mom (50), his sister and her husband (both in their mid 20s), and their 2 kids (2 and 7). We know they would have an amazing time on a cruise because we've vacationed with them before and we think a cruise vacation would be perfect for them. One of their biggest hesitations is the feeling of being "stuck in the middle of the frickin' ocean". Any advice or any facts you guys can share to help us convince them?

Unfortunately, much like getting a kid to "like" green veggies, you can't convince people of things unless they want to be.

Maybe, if you keep talking, and showing pictures/videos of the great times you're having onboard/in ports, you'll get them to at least give it a try on a short cruise. And then the seed is planted.

Ugh. I have one brother who has a wife who feels the same way. It makes the rest of us crazy (two brothers and two sisters and their families who have cruised together.) Because this particular brother doesn't have super strong feelings on cruising, he never pushes it. They enjoy their all-inclusive resorts in the DR (which isn't really our cup of tea.)

The only thing that I tried to suggest is maybe a very short cruise to nowhere deal. They never wanted to do it.

Other than that, I personally wouldn't try to convince someone. I'm the type of person who would end up feeling 100% responsible for their happiness on the cruise. Just what I don't need.

Do NOT try to convince them. It always backfires! They will do it when they're ready!

The more you "talk it up", the greater the chance that the experience will NOT match what you've told them.

Let them be. They will cruise when they're ready!

Do NOT try to convince them. It always backfires! They will do it when they're ready!

The more you "talk it up", the greater the chance that the experience will NOT match what you've told them.

Exactly! I have friends that love camping. No amount of begging will convince me to go.

Everyone has their idea of a vacation and if this is not appealing to them, so be it.

Nope, nope, nope. Seriously, just nope.

I cruised before I met my current DH. He had zero interest in cruising. Then one day he heard me talking to a dear friend who had just booked his first cruise. And my DH said "do you want to go on a cruise?"..... I don't know why that was "his time" but it was. We were booked that day :D He loves it, but he had to get to wanting to try a cruise on his own timetable.

If your mother in law wants to go, but the others don't, take your mother in law.

Be careful what you wish for. We did this with my husband and I our 2 kids, my 2 brothers and my mom and stepdad. My mom was sea sick for most of the cruise. My stepdad complained about everything. I felt really bad for our waitress be cause nothing was to his liking. My brother and stepdad were constantly fighting. I can look back and laugh at a lot of it now....but it was pretty stressful then and I never asked them to come along with us again. Since then it has either been the 4 of us or just DH and myself. No more stress on my vacations.

I agree with this, from personal experience. It's better to let them make up their own mind.

They are not the first to think this way. Almost everyone does.

Most people want just ports on their first cruise and no sea days and then over time discover who special those sea days are.

I would recommend finding a cruise that is all about ports and one in the caribbean.

Keith

We were always dead against cruising.We had all those stupid pre conceived thoughts without looking into it properly.Then an itinerary came up for Falklands and Antarctic,advertised in our Sunday paper.I had always wanted to visit Buenos Aires and The Falklands and My husband had dreams of sailing round Cape Horn.... The more I looked into it,the more interested I was.

We booked it up,saved hard and had a fantastic time.Bit I am glad we did it all on our own back with no 'advice' from friends or relatives...

Now we cruise once a year,all different companies and thoroughly enjoy it.

It really is important to 'want' to do it yourselves,much more enjoyable.....

We were always dead against cruising.We had all those stupid pre conceived thoughts without looking into it properly.Then an itinerary came up for Falklands and Antarctic,advertised in our Sunday paper.I had always wanted to visit Buenos Aires and The Falklands and My husband had dreams of sailing round Cape Horn.... The more I looked into it,the more interested I was.

We booked it up,saved hard and had a fantastic time.Bit I am glad we did it all on our own back with no 'advice' from friends or relatives...

Now we cruise once a year,all different companies and thoroughly enjoy it.

It really is important to 'want' to do it yourselves,much more enjoyable.....

That's the important part, is you made up your own mind to do it.

The reality is, if they don't want to go, the don't want to go. That being said there may be other fears that they have that aren't being discussed.

You might want to see if they would consider an Alaskan cruise. The inside passage is beautiful, calmer waters and you can generally see land from the ship at all times. There are lots of port stops and if you do a RT from Seattle then you get to see Seattle too. The ship is being used as a floating hotel the flights from LAX or Burbank to Seattle aren't too bad either.

I too agree with most of those who've posted. I was the type who never wanted to go on a cruise. I did go on a dorm floor trip from San Pedro to Catalina and was on a company 3-hr around Marina Del Rey dinner cruise. But wasn't thrilled about being on the water. I even had a chance to have a free cruise (a cruise line was a client of my company).

Then I met the guy that I would eventually marry. He had already been on his first cruise and wanted to go again. Since it looked like we would last at least a while, I agreed to try out a cruise. He suggested an one-day cruise out of San Diego -- it went to Ensenada and then returned to SD that night. After that, we booked a seven day cruise. Since then, I've been on ten more cruises with him (and introduced our daughter to cruising when she was 23 months of age).

My parents were not the type to go on a cruise. My father was over being on the sea while in the army (to get to the Philippines for his tour of duty during WWII). After his passing, my sister convinced my mother, who gets motion sickness at the turn of a key, to go on a cruise. So my mother got the patch and they went on a four day Baja cruise. I asked how was it and she said she enjoyed the entertainment and food. But that was enough cruising for her.

I suggest going on your cruises without the in-laws but take plenty of photos and video. Maybe they'll take a look and decide on their own to try it out.

Have you thought about planning a land based family trip instead - maybe to Miami or Ft. Lauderdale or Vancouver? I was on a business trip in Vancouver and happened to be staying at the Pan Pacific Hotel which overlooks the Vancouver cruise terminal. I watched a cruise ship being prepared for a cruise and the passengers board and the ship sail off. That was when I decided I wanted to cruise and within about 5 months, I did.

I will just say that if my daughter in law kept trying to persuade me to participate in an activity in which I have no interest, it would be annoying and definitely put a strain on the relationship.

While I don't think you should push it, I just wanted to add that I definitely don't feel this way. Assuming you have a good relationship with your in-laws that is. If my kids' significant others cared enough to try to convince me to do something with them, it would definitely not annoy me at all. I'd personally be happy that they want me to do something with them that they enjoy. I guess it depends upon the relationship itself.

But just to reiterate what I originally said, I don't think trying to convince them is a good idea. But not for this reason.

A couple of thoughts:

If they do not want to be stuck in the middle of an ocean, find a cruise that is port intensive and doesn't leave the port until dinnertime or evening. Then you can approach the cruise as a floating mix of transportation and hotel- a highly efficient method of traveling.

Perhaps they are not interested in the type of ship or line you like? Do they do very different things from you on a land vacation? I love cruising but there are some ships that I would hesitate to go on (for me the megaships) but I am content on a small ship.

Can you go on a girl friend getaway cruise with just the sister in law? Win them over one at a time!

If they like beach vacations, a caribbean cruise could be presented as a way to check out multiple islands for a future vacation.

Talk about how much fun the kids are having on the ship and share some cute stories. OFFER TO BABYSIT.

Have they heard from friends how much the excursions and extras end of costing? You can research how much you can save by booking private excursions, especially since you will have a nice small group.

Then keep doing your own thing and let those ideas swirl around in their heads. My sister in law said she is afraid of flying, afraid of ships, and doesn't like to leave home. She has been looking at our travel pictures for several years now. She announced in the fall that she wants to see the Greek islands and we are going later this year.

I always think it a bad idea to overly urge someone to do a major thing they resist doing. If they don't want to cruise, find another vacation to enjoy with them.

IMO

I totally agree. We've tried it, and regretted it.

I totally agree. We've tried it, and regretted it.

Sorry you experienced a negative situation.

It is bound to breed resentment and 'blame'. Despite good intentions, adult people usually know what they wish to do and what they do not wish to do. Treat them as adults and let them make up their own minds.

IMO

Sorry you experienced a negative situation.

It is bound to breed resentment and 'blame'. Despite good intentions, adult people usually know what they wish to do and what they do not wish to do. Treat them as adults and let them make up their own minds.

IMO

I agree. In our case, it strained a long term friendship. The friendship recovered, but not immediately.

The trouble can even happen with regular cruisers. I was always talking up Oasis and Allure to my sister and BIL who were regular cruisers, but not Royal Caribbean sailers. Finally I got them to go with us on Allure. What an uncomfortable mistake! I won't go into detail, but needless to say we don't cruise with them anymore.

If the OP's family ever decides to cruise, let them make the first moves.