Anthem of the seas is headed back to Cape Liberty now due to a storm

lazeyey

Unless this is a very new definition I am not aware of it.

As my work with pesticides decreased, I began to work more and more with GRAS reviews and submission to FDA. What I am about to say is based on over 10 years of experience and it floored me at first like it will you when I say:

Efficacy ("effectiveness" in your sentence) is NOT, I repeat NOT a part of a GRAS determination or a determination of GRAS by the applicant or FDA. Efficacy is secondary and incidental.

GRAS reviews are based on SAFETY and those are the sections of these submissions I worked on as part of my toxicology background; but I always threw in a little efficacy information that was typically relegated to an attachment or deep within the document, somewhere.

I told you that you would not believe what I was going to say but it floored me too and it is true. Sounds dumb and I agree that it should be both and maybe there is a new GRASE category now that I am not aware of as I retired from this rat race last year.

Now my wife a nutritionist/epidemiologist and I just cruise and enjoy not thinking about a lot of these weird government regulations

BTW: Has the Anthem docked yet????????????

Just for my own curiosity, I looked up what I could about the use of the term "effective" with regards to the FDA and OTC drugs. Apparently, this started in 1962 with amendments to the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act. This resulted in the FDA starting their "monographs" on the safety and effectiveness of various categories of drugs and cosmetics, and the first monographs were published in 1972. Now, they only apply this standard to "new drugs"; those drugs not found to be safe and effective at the time of the monograph, or had not been used "for a material time and material extent". And none of these product monographs are considered to be "final", even though started 40 years ago. So, the ability of manufacturers to make advertising claims of effectiveness based on their ingredients goes back to the '60's and '70's.

What effect will this have on the March 27th cruise?

No effect at all, most likely! I was responding to Formula280SS who is cruising in 25 days, and Formula was actually NOT stressing out at all, so that was a bad choice of words on my part. Sorry for the confusion!:o

Judy

Bingo. Here's to all the folks who are calling for the Captain's firing. The highlighted section above shows that the BMA and the USCG have found that the Captain followed proper procedure, which as I have stated all along, means that he followed the company's ISM (International Safety Management) system procedures, and as long as he did this, there would be no censure of any kind against him. Now, the BMA and the USCG are looking to see if best industry practices and RCI's ISM policies need to be adjusted, but under existing procedures, the Captain did nothing wrong.

Thank you for posting this.

Good to hear. I hope he is sailing soon.

JC

Why? Have you not been reading these posts about what a fabulous job he did and what a fabulous Captain he is?????

Because I dint feel the same way. Good Captains sail in a different direction, not directly into a situation like that. I'm not going to get into battles over this as some do on here but I do not feel comfortable that he will be at the helm on my cruise. Nothing you can say to me or none of the typical insults that I have seen thrown at others that feel this way will change my mind about that. As far as I'm concerned he put thousands of people in harms way and is not a hero.

Why? Have you not been reading these posts about what a fabulous job he did and what a fabulous Captain he is?????

He had pretty much the biggest test possible to prove he is very capable of taking the ship through whatever weather may be thrown its way. I'm very happy he will be back for our sailing.

Ugh!!! I'm not happy about that!!!

Please pass judgement on what you've experienced and not what you have read.

Because I dint feel the same way. Good Captains sail in a different direction, not directly into a situation like that. I'm not going to get into battles over this as some do on here but I do not feel comfortable that he will be at the helm on my cruise. Nothing you can say to me or none of the typical insults that I have seen thrown at others that feel this way will change my mind about that. As far as I'm concerned he put thousands of people in harms way and is not a hero.

From Michael Bayley CEO of RCI "after" the investigation was completed......

Dear valued travel partner,

I want to give you an update and some additional information on Anthem of the Seas.

As many of you know, last week Anthem of the Seas encountered a storm that was dramatically stronger than all official weather forecasts. U.S. Coast Guard and other investigators have relayed information to us that our captain followed proper procedure in managing the ship in the storm. They praised him for making decisions that kept our guests and crew safe, kept the ship seaworthy and led to only four minor injuries in a ship with more than 6,000 people on board. The ship passed all safety inspections. All but a few minor repairs have been completed. Anthem is back at sea.

The severity of the storm far exceeded forecasts, but ultimately it is our responsibility to avoid these possibilities – and this event has provided us with an important learning opportunity. We can do better, and we will. I want to let all travel partners know the steps we are taking.

Edited by cruisenfever

I found "r&r I.C. Hand sanitizer lotion" on Amazon that I could next day. Any thoughts on that one? Wonder if it would be worth it to buy wipes or spray to wipe down our room too? Is norovirus something you typically get once a season and then are immune to? We had some stomach virus a month ago. Would be great if it was the same thing and we are immune to it. Wishful thinking!

I found "r&r I.C. Hand sanitizer lotion" on Amazon that I could next day. Any thoughts on that one? Wonder if it would be worth it to buy wipes or spray to wipe down our room too? Is norovirus something you typically get once a season and then are immune to? We had some stomach virus a month ago. Would be great if it was the same thing and we are immune to it. Wishful thinking!

I think the problem with immunity to Noro is that there are different strains of the virus and the immunity doesn't last very long. But you should have immunity at least to the one you had for awhile. Most people don't get it every season. I've had it twice in my adult life, many years apart.

I always carry clorox wipes when we cruise or stay in hotels. I assume that helps, at least it makes me feel like I'm taking precautions! Not sure how effective they really are, but somehow the smell of bleach is reassuring.:p

Judy

The ship returned to New Jersey today. According to what I heard on NECN, NORO virus was not the reason for the return. Many passengers were upset about having their hard-earned vacations cut short.

So what was the reason? Please don't post and leave us hanging. We sail on her Monday, am very happy with the Captain returning, we have Deet and sanitizers/wipes packed. We are looking forward to an enjoyable cruise with no drama:D

So what was the reason? Please don't post and leave us hanging. We sail on her Monday, am very happy with the Captain returning, we have Deet and sanitizers/wipes packed. We are looking forward to an enjoyable cruise with no drama:D

You stand a far better chance of having a cruise on Anthem with no drama than you do of reading a CC thread about Anthem with no drama.

Edited by Ocean Boy

Anybody but me think that we are talking to a new named person that we talked to last month?:D

JC

You stand a far better chance of having a cruise on Anthem with no drama than you do of reading a CC thread about Anthem with no drama.

You are 100% correct!! We ARE looking forward to a great cruise, even leaving from Bayonne in winter. This port is just two hours up 1-95 for us, very convenient.

While you all are haggling, we will be disinfecting our insides with the drink package!! Tell you all about it when we get home:D

While you all are haggling, we will be disinfecting our insides with the drink package!! Tell you all about it when we get home:D

Finally, someone else that understands proper use of the drink package..... for medicinal purposes only!

Thought I was the only one