Piano Bar entertainers - who is your favorite?

JPH814

Wow. A lot of love for Barry from Boston. He was on Oosterdam in October and I thought he sucked. In fact, I've yet to hear a decent piano entertainer on HAL, and I think the venue is terrible.

Sorry, I know this wasn't exactly what you were asking. :o

We were on the Oosterdam in October also. I agree with your sentiments about B from B. Too much talking, not enough crowd engagement for my tastes.

Great to hear so many positive comments. As I said, I could not imagine a better guy than Jimmy until I heard Stryker. Now it seems that Holland America might have a bunch of them. So let's see what I get on the Oosterdam in February 2017

• 2 months later...
Just got off the Veendam that had Barry from Boston. I don't understand what it is that people like about him. I think he is terrible and there were not many people who sat around in the piano bar.

I've never sailed with him. Can you elaborate on what made him so terrible?

Barry from Boston , but my all time favorite was Marc Farris who now works exclusively for Crystal. :mad: Night after night we would sit around the old piano bar on Maasdam waiting for him. I thought he was better than Jimmy Maddox. Hal's loss.

Barry from Boston , but my all time favorite was Marc Farris who now works exclusively for Crystal. :mad: Night after night we would sit around the old piano bar on Maasdam waiting for him. I thought he was better than Jimmy Maddox. Hal's loss.

Mark has changed roles somewhat and is now "Entertainment Host" on the yacht or river boat most of the time. I know he plays occasionally in the Avenue Saloon on the larger ships but not as much. I haven't heard much about what that role actually entails.

My favorite on HAL is Debby Bacon. She only does Grand Voyages on the Amsterdam and I'm hoping she'll be on next year's Grand Asia.

Roy

I like Jimmy Maddox, love Stryker and Diane Fast, but am particularly fond of Buddy Mitchell. He is a lot of fun, with an outgoing personality.

A lot of the job in a real Piano Bar is to make a party every night. Having an extensive repertoire isn't enough---there has to be a spark igniting the crowd, fresh and new every night.

Unfortunately, HAL is moving away from the Piano Bar concept to something more of just another music venue.

I like Jimmy Maddox, love Stryker and Diane Fast, but am particularly fond of Buddy Mitchell. He is a lot of fun, with an outgoing personality.

A lot of the job in a real Piano Bar is to make a party every night. Having an extensive repertoire isn't enough---there has to be a spark igniting the crowd, fresh and new every night.

Unfortunately, HAL is moving away from the Piano Bar concept to something more of just another music venue.

We seem to like the same people + Jeff Warren and, yes, it is sad to see HAL moving away from the traditional style Piano Bar.

We have been on Princess a few times and their style of Piano Bar is called Crooners, a more open version without walls. Although we have seen and heard pretty good entertainers there, it does not have the same appeal as a closed in Piano Bar. Musicality, good repertoire, close proximity and fun people all contribute to making a good Piano Bar excellent.

We once had a piano player (Tom Franek) on Princess that we loved. I've never seen anyone else who even comes near him since then. Guess we were spoiled by him! I've looked at schedules for Westerdam posted recently and it just says "piano bar entertainer Anna". Anyone know anything about her? I was hoping to see something here, but it sounds like maybe we will have someone who is not too memorable.

I see that as a good thing because I don't think HAL does piano bars well.

One could argue that HAL does not do any music venue well. Basing many ships in a single jazz entertainer is fine for a few months, but not good for long term. Piano bars are great if you have good entertainers, but HAL only has a few that rise to a high level and many others who are mediocre at best. And what kind of real piano bar closed before midnight? Only on HAL.

Hank

I see that as a good thing because I don't think HAL does piano bars well.

They used to. Heck, there was a time the Piano Bar didn't even open until 11:00, and when they said it went until the "wee hours", they really meant it.

They could do it again, too, but they haven't seemed to want to for a long time now.