If I like Azamaar will I like Oceania ?

suesie

Depends on what you like/dislike on Azamara. There are many threads in this forum, with the differences ( for example http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2299223&highlight=azamara ) . Oceania includes soft drinks and all specialty restaurants, but does not include wine/alcohol with your fare. What is important to you when cruising?

Edited by Cruseforme

Depends on the size of Oceania ship you choose

Most people say Oceania is quieter

Some deal in the UK may offer the wine & beer beverage package

I would do some reading on what Oceania offers then decide if it would suit your wants/needs

Enjoy whatever cruise you choose

Lyn

In fact there are many threads discussing the differences between the 2 lines.

If you put into the search window something like:

Oceania vs Azamara (or v.v.)

you will come up with many threads containing a wealth of information and experiences.

If you have more or specific questions after that, I (we) will be happy to answer them.

Have fun exploring

It is difficult for us to truly answer the question. I have never been on Azamara (I've checked it out but didn't find a deal that appealed, that is just me).

Many Az fans that have posted here like the closer interaction with staff (including officers) that they find there. You won't find that on O.

The ships aren't all that different, although Az did reconfigure Deck 8 when they got their two ships.

I am sure that if we booked an Az cruise we'd be happy ... would we prefer it? That I doubt, but that might be because we've been cruising on Oceania since it was invented and we like the product.

Mura

In fact there are many threads discussing the differences between the 2 lines.

If you put into the search window something like:

Oceania vs Azamara (or v.v.)

you will come up with many threads containing a wealth of information and experiences.

If you have more or specific questions after that, I (we) will be happy to answer them.

Have fun exploring

Addendum to my post:

The above mentioned search yielded the following threads:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/search.php?searchid=83616782

Depends on what you like/dislike on Azamara. There are many threads in this forum, with the differences ( for example http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2299223&highlight=azamara ) . Oceania includes soft drinks and all specialty restaurants, but does not include wine/alcohol with your fare. What is important to you when cruising?

O Life (introduced at Oceania in 2015 as an included flexible perk) includes free internet as well as a choice of wine/beer at meals OR excursions OR OBC (beyond what TA may give). Also, remember that O includes air tix or a credit.

Haven't been on Azamara but have talked to folks who have done both cruise lines. All say that O food is far better. Have also heard that Azamara officers are friendlier but don't know why that would be important.

Having cruised both lines, but Azamara far more extensively, I would say if you enjoy one of them then you will enjoy the other one. Food quality is subjective of course but I would say they are pretty much on par, with Azamara definitely winning on entertainment and officer interaction. It interests me that some people think this is unimportant. It is clear that until you have experienced directly that Azamara special interaction, then you cannot understand just how much it does improve your cruise experience. I know I didn't understand it prior to my first Azamara cruise in 2011.

I also am not keen on sharing a table in the Speciality Restaurants on O....don't mind sharing in the MDR, but prefer to be just us in the Specialities. It is difficult to get a table for two at our preferred dining times on O. Never had that trouble on Azamara.

Both O and AZ are great cruise experiences and aren't we all so lucky to have the choice?

Oceania is MUCH better than Azamara (in our opinion). The food is the standout thing really but the Azamara Cruise we went on (Journey June 2015) represented very poor value for money in most respects. There was little or no entertainment TO OUR TASTE so for us it is Oceania any day. A standout negative memory was the sight of one of the officers using the buffet without sanitising his hands. I reported this and was ignored so took his pic. the next time!!

Small point, but Az's ships were built that way.

Azamara added the PH or whatever they call them on part of Deck 8

The ships that Oceania acquired the larger cabins were already there as part of the original ships

some of the R-ships were slightly different configurations

We enjoyed our one Azamara cruise and three Oceania cruises, soon to be 4 in 2 weeks. I did find that with Azamara, the friendly officers really did make a difference. They were a wealth of knowledge and just pleasant to converse with. Since it has been 6 years since we were on Azamara, it does sound like they have made quite a few changes and improvements in the offering. I would happily cruise on them again; but since Oceania has our favorite class of ship with Riviera and Marina, they hold a big advantage over Azamara in that department. Until I try another Azamara cruise, Oceania also wins in the all important food category. Perhaps that area has also gotten even better with Azamara, with so many people saying that they are equal.

Like the bigger ships on Oceania. Gives us more choices for dining and many other things. And they are still quite smaller than most other ships. Have not been on AZ but would think from what I read that the small ships ® would be pretty much the same. Would like to try AZ one day soon.

We traveled on Azamara several years ago. Since then it's been three voyages on Oceania, primarily because of the itineraries and schedule. We are very happy-dining, afternoon tea, overall organization are tops on Oceania. Love the string quartet. Not much interest in late night entertainment.

On the other hand, Azamara made us feel that they cared much more about whether we were having a good time and were very open to any complaints or concerns. Very open to setting up Cruise Critic meet and greet. Attitude that they expressed openly from time to time. "We would rather hear your complaint now and fix it than read about it later on Cruise Critic."

On Oceania,the attitude seems to be "We already know we are the best and we know that you are going to think so too, so we don't really need to go out of our way to notice you." It's sort of like going to a fancy wedding of a rich relative you don't know very well. You know that everything will be perfect, the serving staff will be top notch and you will have a great time. But you also know that you as a person are rather irrelevant to the host. That's where such things as an officer saying hello and a meet and greet can make a difference. Seems like a very small improvement, not too difficult to manage.

I should point out that we generally travel "steerage" so the experience of those in the suites may be different.

Mary

Mary

I have never (well once) had a problem on Oceania with the M & G & now they even have a sign ;)

i-qQr4HHn-M.jpg

Whenever we have brought up a problem onboard it has been taken seriously & fixed

The staff were always saying hello maybe not stopping to have a chat but they did acknowledge us in passing ..even it is just a smile & nod

we are in peon class also

Edited by LHT28

My experience for quite a while is that they had a sign for M&Gs that I set up. (I didn't request one.) And on Marina they threw in peanuts and the like for snacks. No, they don't host it but they don't make it as difficult as some seem to think.

The first time I set up a M&G -- at least 10 years ago, I think -- the message didn't get to the staff that this was a cash bar, not a party hosted by me! So ever since I make sure the bartenders know I'm NOT paying for everybody's drinks.

Mura

My experience for quite a while is that they had a sign for M&Gs that I set up. (I didn't request one.) And on Marina they threw in peanuts and the like for snacks. No, they don't host it but they don't make it as difficult as some seem to think.

Mura

I agree

we did have a small sign saying "private function" or similar wording but now there is no mistaking the gang :D

We traveled on Azamara several years ago. Since then it's been three voyages on Oceania, primarily because of the itineraries and schedule. We are very happy-dining, afternoon tea, overall organization are tops on Oceania. Love the string quartet. Not much interest in late night entertainment.

On the other hand, Azamara made us feel that they cared much more about whether we were having a good time and were very open to any complaints or concerns. Very open to setting up Cruise Critic meet and greet. Attitude that they expressed openly from time to time. "We would rather hear your complaint now and fix it than read about it later on Cruise Critic."

On Oceania,the attitude seems to be "We already know we are the best and we know that you are going to think so too, so we don't really need to go out of our way to notice you." It's sort of like going to a fancy wedding of a rich relative you don't know very well. You know that everything will be perfect, the serving staff will be top notch and you will have a great time. But you also know that you as a person are rather irrelevant to the host. That's where such things as an officer saying hello and a meet and greet can make a difference. Seems like a very small improvement, not too difficult to manage.

I should point out that we generally travel "steerage" so the experience of those in the suites may be different.

Mary

Pretty good. I would agree with most of what you say. I think that O needs to improve on their PR and they will be just bout perfect.

Mary

This is a GREAT description of Oceania. Great food, very good service but overall the staff projects zero level of warmth, caring or willingness to really work to communicate well with passengers...as well as a very bureaucratic ship operation. I have cruised with Oceania only four times and will likely return if itinerary and price are right...but I go in knowing that warmth, kindness and quick polite addressing of concerns that may come up are not in the cards.

We have cruised eight times on Oceania ships and twice on Azamara. I agree with Azam (Mary) in her comparison. Better food on Oceania plus husband really likes the "O" size Oceania ships with their excellent specialty restaurants, but the welcome by Azamara starting with the happily hosted by Azamara Cruisecritic party, the White Nights deck party and the personal interest from officers on down really are a delight on Azamara.

My chief criticism of Azamara has been its outdated cabins (only new beds with the cabin furnishings still from old Renaissance days); now that Azamara is refurbishing both their ships, we really look forward to our upcoming Norwegian fjords cruise on Azamara Quest this August.

We only have cruised on Azamara and Oceania and really have enjoyed both; however, I still am very shocked and disappointed by the terrible crisis management, communication and leadership exhibited by Oceania management and Riviera officers on our recent Norovirus-plagued cruise.

Edited by CintiPam

Well. We've cruised both lines & after our very recent (Feb 2-12 Riviera) cruise on Oceania we've determined that first & foremost we prefer the smaller ships. When we got home & had a chance to compare Az's itineraries for next January against the itinerary we'd booked on board with O - we booked with Az & cancelled O.

WHY?

Well, apart from ship size (we've decided we're small ship people) Azamara's crew has an awful lot to do with our satisfaction level. On Riviera, there was a young woman who was supposed to be assisting guests - assigned to a desk for this purpose! - on our recent cruise & she was completely worthless. Not only worthless - she seemed to make it her full time job to assure passengers that we were not worth her time. I stood in front of her, in a sort of line, on two occasions only to have her tap away at her computer without regard to me. When I moved away she did NOT look up, but said, "YES?" I wanted to take her to task at that moment more than I've ever wanted to lecture someone in a public service role but I resisted. Oh how I resisted!

The problem is that this attitude is pervasive on Oceania. In the O Riviera Main Dining Room we nightly got resistance for our desire to dine alone at a table for two. Each night, we were told there was nothing available by the hostess...until each night a wait staff person came up & pointed out how to make it possible for us to get what we wanted. In the Poolside Grill my husband got a Caesar Salad that was so salty that it was inedible. He asked to talk to the maître d' - only to caution him that this was a batch of salad that was not right. When the maître d' gave no satisfaction & insisted that the salty salad was indeed just right, my husband got a Caesar Salad from the inside lunch dining room, & eventually pointed out to the maître d' that THIS salad was completely OK. The response? The maître d' of the Poolside Grill made a face & said, "Naughty naughty chef! We'll have to teach him how to do it right." What on earth kind of response is that????

There were some very good moments on our recent O cruise but absolutely NOTHING other than our cabin stewardess would make us want to return - although we did book another cruise on board! BUT - when we got home we searched out another itinerary that better meets our needs. We are delighted to find that it's on Azamara. On that ship, we know first hand!, the captain keeps in touch with passengers...& the officers seek out the passengers & try to dine with them even if it's for a burger at the grill. We've cancelled our on-board booking with O, & booked with Az for next year.

Well, I have to say that the combination of shedridt's last post and the multiple Noro threads, the unruly children and drunks in Jacques, poor entertainment and seemingly zero management action when someone has a valid complaint is definitely NOT making me look forward to our Nautica cruise in October! :(

This would not happen on Azamara. The great AZ Hotel Directors would have a fit.

Edited by Lottie A

Well, I have to say that the combination of shedridt's last post and the multiple Noro threads, the unruly children and drunks in Jacques, poor entertainment and seemingly zero management action when someone has a valid complaint is definitely NOT making me look forward to our Nautica cruise in October! :(

This would not happen on Azamara. The great AZ Hotel Directors would have a fit.

Why not wait and see for yourself?

If you go thinking you won't like it, chances are you won't.

If someone posted they didn't like their Azamara cruise, would it change YOUR mind about Azamara?

Go with an open mind (always a good thing in life) and see what YOU think. :)

Now, Lottie A, I think you are being unfair. If you remember, I had taken 2 AZ cruises and have not been back due to black mold growing under my bed.

I have never experienced anything like that on O (or anywhere else) and the O ships have always been immaculate. I prefer cleanliness over Officer interaction, and that last cruise on AZ left a very bad impression. They do have great itineraries, and if their new refit gets good reviews, I would consider, only if the itinerary works.

I hope you enjoy whatever cruise line you choose, but give O a chance. You may really end up liking them.

Hi portofinoitaly and paulchili....I am going with an open mind honestly. I have been on Marina before and we enjoyed a lot of aspects of the cruise....but some things we naturally compared to Azamara and found them wanting. I know we will have a great time on Nautica but even the O afficionado's have to admit that there is a lot of negativity around the O board at present and from some loyal past customers too. My friend Kat is on Riviera in a couple of weeks and I will look forward to her feedback because she loves both O and AZ ....we actually met on Marina. That was because we were practically the only four people on the cruise who were not in bed at 11 pm! :D :D

Paulchili, lots of people find that AZ is not the cruiseline for them and I don't mind at all, because it leaves empty cabins for us! I dare say you feel the same about O. Aren't we lucky to have the options of both great cruiselines?

Portofino, I well remember your angst over the mould under the bed....I always check for it now, just in case....but luckily I have never found any. I have to say that Azamara rarely suffers a Noro outbreak like Oceania seems to do so often lately. Aren't you going on your Silversea cruise soon? Just a hint.....Rush to book La Champagne on your first day and pretty much as soon as you board, if you do want to go. It's getting booked up so quickly now and a lot of people are disappointed that they can't go. I'm on two SS cruises this summer but on Shadow and Spirit. Let's hope we can meet up soon on either O or AZ and I'll buy you that glass of wine and we can have a giggle....I really am a glass half full girl. :)