Carry-on only!

DancingGypsy

I'd think that as a full fare-paying passenger, I'm just as entitled as anyone else to put one item above and one under my seat, just as the attendants request. :cool:

Just because I pack in a 19 to 22"x14"x9" does not mean I will carry it onto the plane. Many times, I will check my legal-size carryon just so I can put my daypack in the overhead so I have space to put my foot cushion on the floor (if I don't use my foot cushion on long-hauls, my reconstructed ankle will lock up and I can't walk right for hours). I have zero guilt putting my one item in that overhead. If I buy something in the duty-free (usually no more than 2 bottles of wine and some chocolate), I will stack - everything still is a smaller footprint than a full-size legal carryon. The only time I will absolutely put my item under the seat is on a Barbie Jet - there isn't enough room for a book in those overheads!!!

Edited by slidergirl

If you guys follow the rules as I do, then you WOULDN'T be putting a small bag that could easily fit under your seat in the overheads. I don't see how you guys are trying to justify that. You are being selfish that way. My bf and I only bring ONE carry on between the both of us, and we each have a backpack that is quite large. We put those under the seat in front of us! I see many people who have bags much smaller than our backpacks put them up top. If you have more than a carry on and a personal item you are breaking the rules and you are bringing too much. If you went shopping and have a shopping bag in addition to your carry on and personal item you need to put that on your lap on on the floor by your feet.

So with our one carryon and two backpacks between the two of us, that would/should give us no guilt as too putting one backpack up in the overhead right? But we don't out of respect for others. Which sometimes those others put small shopping bags in the overhead.

Wow.

Consider someone like me who usually only brings on a purse (under my seat) and a small tote. Sometimes if I don't bring a small tote and I went shopping on my trip, I will bring the bag and put it above.

Are you saying I can't put one of those bags above without risk of some self-deputized vigilante smashing the crap out of it?

Yes. You don't want it go get damaged, don't put it out of your sight.

If you guys follow the rules as I do, then you WOULDN'T be putting a small bag that could easily fit under your seat in the overheads. I don't see how you guys are trying to justify that. You are being selfish that way. My bf and I only bring ONE carry on between the both of us, and we each have a backpack that is quite large. We put those under the seat in front of us! I see many people who have bags much smaller than our backpacks put them up top. If you have more than a carry on and a personal item you are breaking the rules and you are bringing too much. If you went shopping and have a shopping bag in addition to your carry on and personal item you need to put that on your lap on on the floor by your feet.

So with our one carryon and two backpacks between the two of us, that would/should give us no guilt as too putting one backpack up in the overhead right? But we don't out of respect for others. Which sometimes those others put small shopping bags in the overhead.

I don't think most of the frequent-flying world would agree with your reasoning. :cool: See here, for example: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1630783-carry-baggage-etiquette-overhead-bin-versus-under-seat.html

Edited by cruisemom42

i started to do carry on only on frequent business trips. My bag was misdirected once on a business trip. It was the last time I checked luggage.

We started to do the same on pleasure trips. DW was not happy at first. Now she is a huge proponent. She shops for clothing/shoes specifically for carry on travel. Same with her hair etc. She won't be going back to checked luggage anytime soon. It is not for everyone. For us it is the only way to go. After seven weeks of travel I already know that I will be taking a few less things next time simply because I never wore them or did not need them.

Edited by iancal

OK. My daypack is my larger bag, and my foot cushion (which is 15x12x5) is my "personal item" Happy now???

Geez. No wonder flying is a PIA now, with all the private police visually measuring each piece coming onboard and monitoring where said pieces are placed. If you are one of those who feel entitled to put their rollaboard in the first available spot, even though you are at the rear of the plane and there is still plenty of space, do not whine when I ask the FA to remove your bag...

I read the first few pages and then had to stop. What if one of those people saw that I didn't have different shoes for each outfit I had? I asked my DH if he felt deprived because he could only take what fit in our carry on. He just laughed.

Our first cruise was only seven days and we each took a very large bag. We wore about 1/3 of what we brought. Since then we have been taking the train to our cruises and take one carry on each person, including our formal wear and shoes. We also take a small personal bag. Sometimes it has been a computer bag or just a handbag each. The longest was for a 32 day cruise.

This trip we are doing a lot of flying so it was really important to my worry level to do only carry on. We will be gone for 21 days. The problem was that new airline sizes for carry on made our old bags about two inches too big and our personal bag could not be my large computer bag. I don't know how much they enforce actual sizes but to be sure we got smaller carry on that are 21 by 13 by 9. We have now packed our bags and everything fits. I bet there will still be a few items that we never wear. I truly doubt that anyone will notice this old couple may wear the same outfit on day 3 and day 14 and if they do, someone once said, so what, they will never see us again anyway. I never notice what shoes the lady at the next table in the dinning room is wearing. I doubt that I would notice if she wore the same dress every night. I am too busy looking out the window and enjoying my food.

I like the idea of shampoo in a bar. I had never heard of that. What brand and where can you get it?

I read the first few pages and then had to stop. What if one of those people saw that I didn't have different shoes for each outfit I had? I asked my DH if he felt deprived because he could only take what fit in our carry on. He just laughed.

Our first cruise was only seven days and we each took a very large bag. We wore about 1/3 of what we brought. Since then we have been taking the train to our cruises and take one carry on each person, including our formal wear and shoes. We also take a small personal bag. Sometimes it has been a computer bag or just a handbag each. The longest was for a 32 day cruise.

This trip we are doing a lot of flying so it was really important to my worry level to do only carry on. We will be gone for 21 days. The problem was that new airline sizes for carry on made our old bags about two inches too big and our personal bag could not be my large computer bag. I don't know how much they enforce actual sizes but to be sure we got smaller carry on that are 21 by 13 by 9. We have now packed our bags and everything fits. I bet there will still be a few items that we never wear. I truly doubt that anyone will notice this old couple may wear the same outfit on day 3 and day 14 and if they do, someone once said, so what, they will never see us again anyway. I never notice what shoes the lady at the next table in the dinning room is wearing. I doubt that I would notice if she wore the same dress every night. I am too busy looking out the window and enjoying my food.

I like the idea of shampoo in a bar. I had never heard of that. What brand and where can you get it?

For the shampoo bar - Lush cosmetics. If you don't have one in a mall near you, go to their website. I've been using them since a Canadian friend turned me on to it before they came to the US. I'm a fan of the Karma Koomba one. they also have some solid conditioner...

On one cruise we asked what they did with clothes that were left on board. We were told that if there was a note that they left the items on purpose the ship put them in a location so that if someone lost their luggage, they could chose from what was in their collection. We saw one person who wore shorts and flip flops the whole 14 days on one cruise because they didn't ask. I don't know what they call the stuff but I bet each ship has something to give people who don't connect to their checked bags before sailing.

Since then if we find some great buys on our trip and don't have room, we choose something we never wear and leave it behind for someone else and have room in our suitcase.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't think most of the frequent-flying world would agree with your reasoning. :cool: See here, for example: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1630783-carry-baggage-etiquette-overhead-bin-versus-under-seat.html

Not sure why you linked that post. Exactly what I was saying, we only bring one carryon for the both of us, and each one of our backpacks go under the seat in front of us, freeing up room in the overhead for people who bring two carryons.

Just got home from two months of independent travel in SE Asia. Carry on is the only way to go for us.

We keep thinking about the poor couple try to board the train to Hanoi with 2 26 inch cases, 2 22 inch cases, and they both had carry on over their respective shoulders. Saw the same on some ferrys. Not certain how they manage it all.

Just got home from two months of independent travel in SE Asia. Carry on is the only way to go for us.

We keep thinking about the poor couple try to board the train to Hanoi with 2 26 inch cases, 2 22 inch cases, and they both had carry on over their respective shoulders. Saw the same on some ferrys. Not certain how they manage it all.

Yes, you see it all over the world. People who cannot lift their luggage to get it onto trains, ferries and up and down staircases. (Forget getting it into the overhead - they can't even get it onto the train!) Must be their "first rodeo" because I don't think anyone would do that to themselves more than once. :eek:

My neighbor does that thing a previous poster mentioned: Instead of a carry-on and a personal item, she brings two 22-inch bags, her purse and her coat. Then brags about how light she packs.

I don't usually do just carry-on only. But, even then I bet I have less in my 24-inch checked bag and carry-on than my neighbor has in her 2 carry-ons. And I certainly could do carry-on if needed.

I take what is applicable to the trip. A straight-forward cruise or cruise with a stay in 1 hotel where someone else will take your bags (tipped, of course) then I'll take a larger bag.

If I were doing multiple cities with different kinds of travel and tight connections you can bet I would go smaller.

"I am an over packer and can't travel any other way". I admire all you other's as I see you with your carryon...but alas I will never be one of you :o;)

Me either!! I just read all these posts and can't believe how anyone can do it! I like a clean outfit everyday, at least 2 bathing suits, dresses for evening, and shoes to go with different dresses. Usually the hubby and I each have one large suitcase and a carry-on. I am in awe of you people that can manage just a carry-on!! But I've gotten better since my first cruise in 1995, where I packed one whole suitcase of just shoes!! Lol!! 😂😂😂 I try very hard to reduce what I bring, but am never very successful. I guess I will try harder this January for my next cruise, as we are sailing NCL, and no formal wear needed for their Freestyle Cruising.

Leaving in 5 days on Turkish Air (land-tour of Spain & France). Their LIMITS are 17.6lb (8kg) for the carry-on bag and that the personal item NOT "approach" a carry-on in size or weight. So scaling down on what we took previously, even, as our daypacks might be considered to approach [someone else's] carryons! Thinking of AmeriBag sling bags... which we own IF I can find them!

We wear clean clothes every day. Some of them may have been worn before, but they are still clean! Same as at home...

Me either!! I just read all these posts and can't believe how anyone can do it! I like a clean outfit everyday, at least 2 bathing suits, dresses for evening, and shoes to go with different dresses. Usually the hubby and I each have one large suitcase and a carry-on. I am in awe of you people that can manage just a carry-on!! But I've gotten better since my first cruise in 1995, where I packed one whole suitcase of just shoes!! Lol!! 😂😂😂 I try very hard to reduce what I bring, but am never very successful. I guess I will try harder this January for my next cruise, as we are sailing NCL, and no formal wear needed for their Freestyle Cruising.

I KNOW that no offense is meant by the OP -- but I have to laugh at "I like a CLEAN OUTFIT every day (CAPITALIZATION MINE)". I don't think she believes that we light packers wear dirty clothes (or even not-fresh clothes) on some days! It just came out wrong, I hope!

Now that we have free laundry, it is easy to pack for a two week cruise in a carry on and a large tote (for make up, sundries and hair stuff). But even without free laundry, the total cost on HAL is $49 for unlimited for a week or just $20 for a one time "all you can stuff in the cloth bag". Now, granted, I may just take two pairs of black slacks for non-formal nights and two pairs of velvet slacks for formal nights, but I send one pair out to launder (not the velvet ones) while wearing the other ones. I take nice black shoes that go with the "regular" slacks and dressy flats for the velvet ones. I wear my walking (tennis?) shoes when I board and then just bring a neutral pair of sandals for days onboard. I bring two bathing suits and a cover up and about five casual tops that go with the black capris, white capris and one other color capris. Oh -- and maybe four nice tops for evenings with the black slacks and two dressy velvet tops for formal nights. Throw in the unmentionables and I'm done. Granted, I'm a little short of having a DIFFERENT top for every day of the cruise but I can virtually guarantee that no one is going to remember what I wore as long as I look "nice".

Believe me, paying $20 or even $49 for laundry is MUCH better than lugging suitcases around AND I am unpacked and on deck much faster to start my cruise (and spend less time packing up on that sad last night!).

I realize it is not for everybody but once you go light, you'll never go back to schlepping again! :)

I am also one who does not understand the clean clothes comment.

We typically travel for 6-8 weeks at a time. We do carry on. We wash our clothes or have them laundered. We always wear clean clothes. The only thing surprising about this is that some people are surprised. There are lots of us out there who travel in this fashion. Perhaps not so much in the CC demographic but we are certainly out there.

Nor do I understand comments about bragging. What is there to brag about? This is about personal preference and physical ability to travel with luggage. Based upon the way we travel we cannot physically handle any more than carry on. For us it is, for most trips, a requirement first and then a preference.

Edited by iancal

I KNOW that no offense is meant by the OP -- but I have to laugh at "I like a CLEAN OUTFIT every day (CAPITALIZATION MINE)". I don't think she believes that we light packers wear dirty clothes (or even not-fresh clothes) on some days! It just came out wrong, I hope!

Now that we have free laundry, it is easy to pack for a two week cruise in a carry on and a large tote (for make up, sundries and hair stuff). But even without free laundry, the total cost on HAL is $49 for unlimited for a week or just $20 for a one time "all you can stuff in the cloth bag". Now, granted, I may just take two pairs of black slacks for non-formal nights and two pairs of velvet slacks for formal nights, but I send one pair out to launder (not the velvet ones) while wearing the other ones. I take nice black shoes that go with the "regular" slacks and dressy flats for the velvet ones. I wear my walking (tennis?) shoes when I board and then just bring a neutral pair of sandals for days onboard. I bring two bathing suits and a cover up and about five casual tops that go with the black capris, white capris and one other color capris. Oh -- and maybe four nice tops for evenings with the black slacks and two dressy velvet tops for formal nights. Throw in the unmentionables and I'm done. Granted, I'm a little short of having a DIFFERENT top for every day of the cruise but I can virtually guarantee that no one is going to remember what I wore as long as I look "nice".

Believe me, paying $20 or even $49 for laundry is MUCH better than lugging suitcases around AND I am unpacked and on deck much faster to start my cruise (and spend less time packing up on that sad last night!).

I realize it is not for everybody but once you go light, you'll never go back to schlepping again! :)

No, I certainly should have phrased that differently. I prefer to wear a "different" outfit everyday. Lol! Sorry, everyone--no offense intended! And I get it that you can do laundry on a cruise, but for me--it's a vacation, and that means no laundry. I'd rather over pack, and not worry about washing clothes. But that's what is important to me. Everyone has their own important things on a vacation, and if packing just a carry on, and do laundry is something you prefer to do, go for it. I just wish I could cram all my stuff in a carry on, because it would be a dream not schlepping all that luggage! But as I said, I've gotten MUCH better! Down to one 28" luggage and one tote per person! 😊

I am also one who does not understand the clean clothes comment.

We typically travel for 6-8 weeks at a time. We do carry on. We wash our clothes or have them laundered. We always wear clean clothes. The only thing surprising about this is that some people are surprised. There are lots of us out there who travel in this fashion. Perhaps not so much in the CC demographic but we are certainly out there.

Nor do I understand comments about bragging. What is there to brag about? This is about personal preference and physical ability to travel with luggage. Based upon the way we travel we cannot physically handle any more than carry on. For us it is, for most trips, a requirement first and then a preference.

In 2011 a group of 9 of us did a two week 5 city land vacation in Northern Italy. I had been using one carryon bag for my frequent business trips and decided to give it a try for our two week vacation. Planes trains and especially getting around Venice quickly made me a believer. It was very entertaining watching the rest of my group with their massive wheeled luggage navigate the many stairs we encountered.

Edited by Tommy3putts

That is exactly what we will be doing in Sept/Oct. And we will most likely, given the current situation, snag a Med cruise just prior to leaving or fairly early on in our land travels. If not...we just carry on with our plans.

Last year we did not get one. So we just continued 'cruising' on local ferries, trains, etc. In each of the prior three of four years we were successful in grabbing a great last minute fare. We are hoping for at least one, perhaps even a combo of two this fall. It is the way we travel.

Edited by iancal

Our first trip to Europe in 1998 was an independent land tour of Germany, Austria and Switzerland and we managed with carry-ons and backpacks. Subsequent trips have resulted in bigger bags we checked on our flights and schlepped around cities.

For our week land trip followed by a 2-week British Isles cruise we are going to return to carry-ons and backpacks for several reasons.....

The first is so that we can get in and out of airports quickly. We have to get from LGA to JFK (4 hour window) to catch our AirBerlin flight and not waiting for bags will save us time. You never know about Queens traffic on a Friday afternoon:p. And after Brussels, the sooner we are in/out of an airport the more secure I'll feel.

Secondly, we will be taking a train from Berlin to Prague and, from experience, we know that the larger the suitcase the greater hassle bringing it aboard and finding a place to keep it on the journey.

Lastly things have changed for us while cruising. Celebrity has gone to an evening chic dress code which means I won't be packing cocktail dresses and high heels. We've also attained a status level with Celebrity that gives us free laundry (60 items between us) and some free dry cleaning and pressing. We also hand wash socks and undies. Nice black slacks worn only in the evenings are worn several times. My tops roll compactly so I can bring a variety. With select dining I can repeat tops since we'll be eating at varied times and with different people. Also will be cutting down on shoes to a limit of 3 pair, wearing my heaviest on the plane.

Packing lightly is harder for DH since his clothes are man-sized and his shoes are heavier than mine by far, but he vows he can do it for this trip!

• 1 year later...
Yes! We do only carry-on. It takes careful packing and planning. Our record carry-on was a 17 day winter Med cruise plus 5 nights in London. A week long cruise is definitely manageable.

I can supply details, but would most likely bore most readers!

I would love more details, we usually travel to Europe with a carry-on each and would like to do so on our 11 day Mediterranean Cruise in October. Any suggestions?