Argh, tipping.

Don't ever say that...apparently people cannot be told to look at other travel options which may suit their budget as it is a below the belt comment apparently..or so I read on FB..:p:D

PS I agree - if someone cannot afford to tip with their budget, they should look for another travel option which suits their budget :)

And that's why it's really important to include all possible costs when choosing a cruise line.

I suspect a number of people get sucked into cheap last-minute RCI fares, for example, without realizing that there are other costs like the gratuities or visa costs. Then they board and also get sticker shock at the drinks prices! :eek: :D

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

We found it was a combination of both on RCI, Mic. Higher than expected drink prices given the prices were in USD ie $14 (incl 18% gratuity) for cocktails against US $10 (possibly plus 15% gratuity) on Princess USD cruises.

For example, even where a tipped employee receives at least $7.25 per hour in wages directly from the employer, the employee may not be required to turn over his or her tips to the employer.

A valid tip pool may not include employees who do not customarily and regularly received tips, such as dishwashers, cooks, chefs, and janitors.

Confusion Abounds

For example, even where a tipped employee receives at least $7.25 per hour in wages directly from the employer, the employee may not be required to turn over his or her tips to the employer.

A valid tip pool may not include employees who do not customarily and regularly received tips, such as dishwashers, cooks, chefs, and janitors.

Confusion Abounds

There are even some restaurants where the waiters get no wage at all ...... they bid with the Maitre de for the best tables , and live very nicely thank you off the tips they receive.

The drink prices are fine, it is the AUD vs USD that sucks.:(

I have found that the prices seemed close but one in Aus$ and one in US$ so a drink that was $10 on one line would be somewhere between $10 and $12 on the other, just one in Aus$ one in $US which at times made one crazy expensive.

And that's why it's really important to include all possible costs when choosing a cruise line.

I suspect a number of people get sucked into cheap last-minute RCI fares, for example, without realizing that there are other costs like the gratuities or visa costs. Then they board and also get sticker shock at the drinks prices! :eek: :D

I agree but I also reckon that there is a bit of a "we don't tip so why should we" mentality as well...there was one poster on here who seems to have disappeared (and not missed much :D) who had that same attitude...he booked balcony cabins and said he travelled the world yet refused to tip anyone because he did not get tips!1 :roll eyes:

Tipping (as unusual as it is for us here in Aus) is part of cruising and people should really try to accept it. And it is not hidden - it is known up front what the cost of tipping is which really means that people can factor it into the cost of their cruise. I don't buy the whole - we work and save hard for our cruise so why should be tip or even better still - why do we need to tip for our kids?? :cool:

I agree but I also reckon that there is a bit of a "we don't tip so why should we" mentality as well...there was one poster on here who seems to have disappeared (and not missed much :D) who had that same attitude...he booked balcony cabins and said he travelled the world yet refused to tip anyone because he did not get tips!1 :roll eyes:

Tipping (as unusual as it is for us here in Aus) is part of cruising and people should really try to accept it. And it is not hidden - it is known up front what the cost of tipping is which really means that people can factor it into the cost of their cruise. I don't buy the whole - we work and save hard for our cruise so why should be tip or even better still - why do we need to tip for our kids?? :cool:

The original post was about tips on top of gratuities on Australian cruises. Why does it need to devolve into the worth of gratuities?

Gratuities function as a labour surcharge and very few people have a problem with that. It's the ever increasing pressure to escalate beyond that with higher and higher tipping that's under question.

Should you tip beyond built-in gratuities? Not really. Let staff get on with their jobs and don't try to bribe them for more attention than other passengers get. It's pointless and stupid.

I suppose it does vary from line to line and also drink to drink but generally it is the conversion which does most of the damage. For me personally, the drinks are dearer on Princess compared to X and RCI.

RCI drink prices are not high. On Radiance at the moment and a 20oz xxxx gold draught beer is $6 inc gratuities. Thats about $8 Aus. I can live with that. Certainly not over the top considering the environment i am in - a beautiful cruise ship

Hugh

RCI drink prices are not high. On Radiance at the moment and a 20oz xxxx gold draught beer is $6 inc gratuities. Thats about $8 Aus. I can live with that. Certainly not over the top considering the environment i am in - a beautiful cruise ship

Hugh

But the cocktails are US $14 aren't they? I'm sure they were when we went on Rhapsody last year.

Hugh

And I will be on Explorer on Wed and expecting much the same :)

I have found RC pricing to be ok, and comparable with our Carnival cruise in terms of the listed/menu price, but recognise that in the last year or so, the exchange rate has added to my costs. That is nought to do with RC & we just love the RC experience.

Will be able to compare when we are on Princess this time next year.

But the cocktails are US $14 aren't they? I'm sure they were when we went on Rhapsody last year.

They were US$14 last year, but I've heard reports they may have reduced the price back down to US$10. Even those in the US thought 14 was a bit steep.

They're doing a lot of 'testing' at the moment though, without announcement, so it's a bit hard to tell.

They were US$14 last year, but I've heard reports they may have reduced the price back down to US$10. Even those in the US thought 14 was a bit steep.

They're doing a lot of 'testing' at the moment though, without announcement, so it's a bit hard to tell.

Interesting! I certainly had sticker shock when we boarded Rhapsody and saw the drink prices, after doing a local Princess cruise.

The cocktail prices were also high on Celebrity, with some at US $15.50. All the drinks pricing included the 18% gratuity, I think. We had a package so never paid for individual drinks. RCI definitely included the grats on their drink prices for Aussie-based cruising so I assume Celebrity did as well.

It will be very interesting to see what prices are like on the Golden Princess repositioning cruise next month, and whether those prices include the 15% gratuity.

BTW CC Australia posted a timely "Tipping on Ships: An Australian Culture Clash" article on FB this morning. Someone must have been reading this thread. :D:D

There was someone on another forum that recently came back from a RCI cruise. They complained about the gratuities saying that it was not the Australian culture. They did not have to cruise RCI. They could have gone on P & O, Carnival or Princess.

There was someone on another forum that recently came back from a RCI cruise. They complained about the gratuities saying that it was not the Australian culture. They did not have to cruise RCI. They could have gone on P & O, Carnival or Princess.

They certainly can cruise with whoever they wish,

Just remember that some lines just include what would have been the (service charge) tips in the fare price.

They should know the rules before they go, either from the RCI website or their agent.

He is still around, the handle changes but not the person. He rarely posts on this section, been sussed out by many of us.

Edited by NSWP

So if you accept that, we can also assume that any tips or gratuities are built in or included in the Australian wage structure.

Therefore does that mean that if we get bad service from a cafe ,restaurant Hotel etc , we can deduct a percentage from the bill?

The first thing I always do on any of these cruises is remove the auto tipping. I have paid the company for the services already. They should be prefect without added payments.

The whole purpose of a tip is a extra voluntary payment made extra services or above and beyond services. It is not my job as a client to pay the cruise lines basic staff wages. It is not up to the cruise line to tell me how to tip, how much to tip and how my money will be split up.

The cruise lines need to stop stealing from customers and pay their own staff. So my recommendation is remove the auto gratuity and tip as you see fit. But remember you are not required to tip anyone. You can if you wish cancel the auto tipping and cash tip no one.