empress first 6 sailings canelled

baron9

So does your DH think that the May 28 sailing is likely to be a go or a no-go. We are the June 2 sailing and are wondering what our realistic chances of actually sailing will be.

I can also say that if the June 2 sailing is canceled RC has probably lost us as return customers as well

I guess I just don't understand how you could even think that someone who is not even on the ship you are asking information about could possibly give you a qualified answer.

I know that this has caused great consternation to the people involved via the cancellations. I believe this was handled poorly by Royal, and don't blame anyone for choosing in the future not to sail on Royal, if they have been burned in this scenario. However there could come a time, when an itinerary is out there, that you really want and it happens to be on Royal -- so would you really NOT go?

I guess I just don't understand how you could even think that someone who is not even on the ship you are asking information about could possibly give you a qualified answer.

I know that this has caused great consternation to the people involved via the cancellations. I believe this was handled poorly by Royal, and don't blame anyone for choosing in the future not to sail on Royal, if they have been burned in this scenario. However there could come a time, when an itinerary is out there, that you really want and it happens to be on Royal -- so would you really NOT go?

I believe her husband is in Freeport working on the dock. I'd trust his info over the company line of BS.;)

As far as your other question, I have a short memory and would head back eventually no matter what they did

I believe her husband is in Freeport working on the dock. I'd trust his info over the company line of BS.;)

As far as your other question, I have a short memory and would head back eventually no matter what they did

I could be wrong, but my feeling from the post was that the husband was on another SHIP in drydock in Freeport, since the PP stated that he talked to a Shipyard manager, while if he was a Grand Bahamas employee, it would have been mentioned differently.

While there was probably some pest infestation, I think that the total replacement of galley bulkheads and ceilings is more due to poor maintenance by Pullmantur causing a need to remove some panels, and the line finding that it damages more than it fixes doing it this way, so it becomes cheaper to just gut it out.

He just said that after stripping it down inside (usph required this) they will need to do full fumigation then inspection... Then they will put her back together... The shipyard said they have this programmed to take another month, so using that as rough calculation, it seems that there is a good possibility that the May 28 sailing will be ok? But at this point who knows? His hands are kinda full with his ship, but if he hears anything else (that seems credible ) I will let u know...

I could be wrong, but my feeling from the post was that the husband was on another SHIP in drydock in Freeport, since the PP stated that he talked to a Shipyard manager, while if he was a Grand Bahamas employee, it would have been mentioned differently.

While there was probably some pest infestation, I think that the total replacement of galley bulkheads and ceilings is more due to poor maintenance by Pullmantur causing a need to remove some panels, and the line finding that it damages more than it fixes doing it this way, so it becomes cheaper to just gut it out.

Sorry, working on the dock meant working on a ship vs being a passenger on a port of call visit. Don't know the lingo.

The gutting was mandated by usph in order to ensure eridacation of the pests... It was NOT because they want to "upgrade"... But as long as they are forced to strip down to the steel, they are doing the upgrades...

Sorry, working on the dock meant working on a ship vs being a passenger on a port of call visit. Don't know the lingo.

Yes, I believe the husband is working on a ship, could be Carnival Valor or CSL Argosy, probably as crew/officer or subcontractor, not a shipyard employee. That being said, the poster who asked if he would know whether another ship would sail on time, would be pure speculation, or hearsay that the husband got from a shipyard employee.

Sounded more to me like the DH was working on another ship....and what others say as in 'the old telephone game' comes out at the end, not much like what the statement started as.

So admitting that you have a short memory, and would eventually head back to Royal, why bother throwing down the 'gauntlet'.

The gutting was mandated by usph in order to ensure eridacation of the pests... It was NOT because they want to "upgrade"... But as long as they are forced to strip down to the steel, they are doing the upgrades...

I didn't say the gutting was for "upgrades", but having worked under USPH regulations, I know that sometimes crew that aren't familiar with them (like Pullmantur) will do things to the walls and ceilings (such as cutting access panels, or modifying the radiuses of the corners) that would require complete replacement of the wall panels.

I'm not there, so I can't say for sure, but I'm a bit skeptical of the USPH requiring the walls and ceilings to be gutted for pest control. It could be, but I've never heard of it.

Sorry, not trying to be obtuse, He is on on the Valor... And yes, any finish date for the empress is purely from heresay from the GBSY super... I just found it interesting and thought I would pass it along. I know it does not help anyone affected, but I usually prefer to have a true picture of what is going on when ***** goes sideways...

But I can kind of understand why RCCL did not do a "true" press release... Gross! But it also might go on to explain more why they only had a few days notice... They might have thought the pests were eliminated, but upon inspection, usph found this not to be the case (hence the 1st round of cancellations) then, upon reinspection, usph again, found bugs and/or un-approved modifications which affected the approval for sailing... At which point they (usph) were like... You need to Gut, exterminate and re-inspect and correct discrepancies , so RCCL, forced with a gut job, decided to upgrade... But this is all purely speculation too... I don't have any real Intel on this... And again, does not excuse how they handled the situation.

Edited by poz222
Added a line

Sorry, not trying to be obtuse, He is on on the Valor... And yes, any finish date for the empress is purely from heresay from the GBSY super... I just found it interesting and thought I would pass it along. I know it does not help anyone affected, but I usually prefer to have a true picture of what is going on when ***** goes sideways...

But I can kind of understand why RCCL did not do a "true" press release... Gross! But it also might go on to explain more why they only had a few days notice... They might have thought the pests were eliminated, but upon inspection, usph found this not to be the case (hence the 1st round of cancellations) then, upon reinspection, usph again, found bugs and/or un-approved modifications which affected the approval for sailing... At which point they (usph) were like... You need to Gut, exterminate and re-inspect and correct discrepancies , so RCCL, forced with a gut job, decided to upgrade... But this is all purely speculation too... I don't have any real Intel on this... And again, does not excuse how they handled the situation.

Well admitting that what you have put forth is 'heresay' is a start; but it also should be the end of it (IMO), since it accomplishes little comfort to those who have sailings booked.

I don't know the information Royal had, so I can't speculate on what the events were that happened....and this can only add angst to those affected...can this all be done is the time frame allotted now.....all we can say is, 'we will see'.

Well admitting that what you have put forth is 'heresay' is a start; but it also should be the end of it (IMO), since it accomplishes little comfort to those who have sailings booked.

I don't know the information Royal had, so I can't speculate on what the events were that happened....and this can only add angst to those affected...can this all be done is the time frame allotted now.....all we can say is, 'we will see'.

Some people appreciate a little inside info. Others (you) need to just chill, and not bite their heads off for only sharing what they were told. Her source is much closer to the situation. That you or I am, that's for sure.

As someone who was booked on the Empress before it was cancelled- I would rather know the truth than be comforted with a nonsense answer. I'd rather hear the dirty dirt than go on a ship that was dirty and infested. Many of the rumors that were swirling involved something gross about the ship.

If the infestation is true, and multiple sources have said it, I'm glad I was cancelled! I'd rather be inconvenienced than be on a dirty ship. I may be in the minority. I'm rebooked and moving past any disappointment.

I'm booked on the Empress in July, so I for one really appreciate Poz222's information. I think one of the early threads made mention of the roaches, and that it was a particularly unpleasant reason to cancel, so I can see why RC wanted it kept quiet. And for the most part they have succeeded. Poz222's information, while hearsay, helps me at least get my head around the task that faced the crew once they realized it was not going to pass USPH inspections. But I agree that it was an indescribably awful way to leave thousands of vacationers in the lurch. I hope it's done by July.

1. I read the prior post to suggest that the husband worked on the docks and thus may have some insight, since RC is fine with leaving everyone on pins and needles about their vacation until the last minute

2. I have a rather long memory. We've had issues on other RC cruises that have started to sour us a bit on them and a last minute cancellation of our upcoming vacation would be the straw that breaks the camel's back. In addition, when I'm looking for a cruise I look at the itineraries offer by a particular cruise line and if that line offers something that appeals to me at a price I like, then I book. So if I never came to the RC site again I would never know what itineraries they offer that might have liked.

Some people appreciate a little inside info. Others (you) need to just chill, and not bite their heads off for only sharing what they were told. Her source is much closer to the situation. That you or I am, that's for sure.

I agree. I am thankful this info was posted.

Sounded more to me like the DH was working on another ship....and what others say as in 'the old telephone game' comes out at the end, not much like what the statement started as.

So admitting that you have a short memory, and would eventually head back to Royal, why bother throwing down the 'gauntlet'.

I never threw down a gauntlet. Did I?

Yep, that's what we're here for I thought. To speculate, disect, critique, complain.

It's not all koom by ya, pass the Kool Aid