empress first 6 sailings canelled

baron9

Here... let the Miami Herald do the math for you. Spoiler alert:, yes, it's 13 total cancelled cruises.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article73175172.html

PS: I emailed this reporter today to say that they totally missed the single most important point of this story; namely that real-life families had their vacations pulled out from beneath them just a week before sailing! That actual lives have been tattered and torn by this last minute, immoral, if not criminal, action on Royal's part. That thousands of people, per sailing, have not been made whole. All thanks to a complete failure on Royal's part to deliver on the services that we contracted (and paid-in-full-for) months ago. And how painfully abysmal Royal's overall customer service response has been to this travesty. An industry low.

Why don't you do so as well and make something happen? I got a response. Will you?

Edited by WinksCruises

Uncovered expenses:

(some of which I experienced; some of which I did not but others did)

Nonrefundable hotel reservations. (mine was refundable, but I couldn't get the same hotel for the same price on the rebooked cruise)

Airfare at the last minute is MUCH more expensive than booking early. RC so graciously is covering the change fee, but NOT the increase in airfare. In addition, there are no "good" seats left on the available flights.

Just about everyone I know who DID rebook and WAS price-protected, is not really price-protected. I'll use "me" as the example.

I was on back to back Empress cruises in a JS, a 4 night and a 5 night.

Royal Caribbean moved me to the same time Enchantment cruises (which will be out of Miami by then; she leaves PC in the first week of May).

They are not charging me more for my new cruises, although the Enchantment fares are much higher than what I paid for the Empress.

BUT

(there is always a BUT)

The Enchantment is a 3 & a 4 night cruise. 7 nights. Empress was 9 nights. (not to mention the much more desirable ports of Cozumel and Key West (twice). Noooooooooooooo. Now I get to go back to Nassau twice and CocoCay twice. Big whoop.

Same price, two fewer days.

At least I don't have work hassles or family hassles.

This really is a WCCF. (credit to Bob, clarea ;))

"..... were needed to meet our high standards,” Royal Caribbean said in a statement."

I nearly fell out of my chair laughing at that comment. :D

High standards? High standards of and for what? :eek: With all the problems RC has been having I am very amused by their statement about their high standards. I think RC needs a reality check. They can't even get their website to work right. How hard can that be? Won't even go there about how they treat their customers.

Uncovered expenses:

(some of which I experienced; some of which I did not but others did)

Nonrefundable hotel reservations. (mine was refundable, but I couldn't get the same hotel for the same price on the rebooked cruise)

Airfare at the last minute is MUCH more expensive than booking early. RC so graciously is covering the change fee, but NOT the increase in airfare. In addition, there are no "good" seats left on the available flights.

Just about everyone I know who DID rebook and WAS price-protected, is not really price-protected. I'll use "me" as the example.

I was on back to back Empress cruises in a JS, a 4 night and a 5 night.

Royal Caribbean moved me to the same time Enchantment cruises (which will be out of Miami by then; she leaves PC in the first week of May).

They are not charging me more for my new cruises, although the Enchantment fares are much higher than what I paid for the Empress.

BUT

(there is always a BUT)

The Enchantment is a 3 & a 4 night cruise. 7 nights. Empress was 9 nights. (not to mention the much more desirable ports of Cozumel and Key West (twice). Noooooooooooooo. Now I get to go back to Nassau twice and CocoCay twice. Big whoop.

Same price, two fewer days.

At least I don't have work hassles or family hassles.

Good summary. But you're not likely to book another cruise line, so Royal will treat its best customers this way because they can get away with it.

It pleases me that the acronym can get some wider use. I think at least in this situation, it's hard to find something more appropriate.

PS: I emailed this reporter today to say that they totally missed the single most important point of this story; namely that real-life families had their vacations pulled out from beneath them just a week before sailing! That actual lives have been tattered and torn by this last minute, immoral, if not criminal, action on Royal's part. That thousands of people, per sailing, have not been made whole. All thanks to a complete failure on Royal's part to deliver on the services that we contracted (and paid-in-full-for) months ago. And how painfully abysmal Royal's overall customer service response has been to this travesty. An industry low.

Why don't you do so as well and make something happen? I got a response. Will you?

Exactly . Many comment that they are " making people whole " . Not even close ! Partial reimbursements are not making people whole . RCI must of / should have known way before that more cruises would be cancelled . To compound that with indifference to their loyal (I'd say too loyal) customers is incredibly nasty . Not even good business . :mad:

We were booked on 5/14 sailing. We booked another cruise line and changed it to a7night leaving 5/8.happy we're stil able to stop at Key West! Still cost a lot more than planned but not to get my credit back on my gidt caed that I used. Eek!

Exactly . Many comment that they are " making people whole " . Not even close ! Partial reimbursements are not making people whole . RCI must of / should have known way before that more cruises would be cancelled . To compound that with indifference to their loyal (I'd say too loyal) customers is incredibly nasty . Not even good business . :mad:

I agree. It's a WCCF and a SS.

We were one of the affected with the March 30 cancellation - OV, 5 nights with Key West and Cayman and offered interior on Majesty, 4 nights Bahamas. My TA worked diligently, and RCCL was unwilling to bend and allow a transfer to any other ship keeping all of my onboard credit. It was spring break, (I am an educator with limited schedule), and by the time we got the news, our TA spent hours trying to get through to RCCL to rebook, etc. and most cabins were gone. Our flights were nonrefundable and in the end we opted not to deal with the change fees, etc. We have not been able to cruise for a number of years due to elderly parents/obligations and really needed vacation. We cancelled hotels, rebooked others, kept our flights and rented a car for a few days. We were able to book Norwegian Sky for the weekend Bahama cruise and had a nice getaway. It wasn't what we planned and cost us additional funds but we had our spring break. Until our sailing on Norwegian, we had only every sailed RCCL (Diamond). I realize the issues are with Empress, not the entire fleet but I am watching closely.

As RCCL refused to transfer/honor any of my onboard credit to any other ship (and I was not willing to give that up) we rebooked our Empress sailing for June 20th. It is a Monday sailing and we have opted to drive from Cincinnati. We have no flights to contend with, no hotels booked. If it happens, it happens.

Our issues were minor compared to those families affected. We met one such family on our flight in March. A single mom with 2 kids, spring break with non-refundable plane tickets, renting a car in Miami and heading to Disney. We had 12 days notice, this last round had 5 and is inexcusable.

Here... let the Miami Herald do the math for you. Spoiler alert:, yes, it's 13 total cancelled cruises.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article73175172.html

I find RCI's statement that "more work is needed to meet our high standards" rather amusing. Does that imply that RCCL's sister brand to RCI, Pullmantur, does not have such high standards?

I find RCI's statement that "more work is needed to meet our high standards" rather amusing. Does that imply that RCCL's sister brand to RCI, Pullmantur, does not have such high standards?

I think it's a fact that Pulmantur has lower standards, at least in the food prep area, because they are not subject to USPH inspections and standards.

I think it's a fact that Pulmantur has lower standards, at least in the food prep area, because they are not subject to USPH inspections and standards.

Right, so if not for the USPH, RCCL would let RCI slip to the same acceptable Pullmantur levels.:rolleyes:

Edited by Ocean Boy

Good summary. But you're not likely to book another cruise line, so Royal will treat its best customers this way because they can get away with it.

It might bite them---this incident, even though we were not affected at all, is what pushed me to book a late summer cruise on another line (booked yesterday). We still have 4 RCI's booked and do not plan on cancelling any--but would have had a fifth and now MSC gets that booking----I want to expand my options in case this type of things becomes a repeating pattern.

I can only imagine that even high status customers might find another line if they experienced this sort of thing, first hand, on multiple occasions.

I hope, very much, that this will prove to be a one time issue with RCI just totally screwing customers over (I mean, really? FIVE day's notice? This wasn't sudden damage or weather, sheesh)--but if not, well, we can move on to other lines if it becomes a habit.

It might bite them---this incident, even though we were not affected at all, is what pushed me to book a late summer cruise on another line (booked yesterday). We still have 4 RCI's booked and do not plan on cancelling any--but would have had a fifth and now MSC gets that booking----I want to expand my options in case this type of things becomes a repeating pattern.

I can only imagine that even high status customers might find another line if they experienced this sort of thing, first hand, on multiple occasions.

I hope, very much, that this will prove to be a one time issue with RCI just totally screwing customers over (I mean, really? FIVE day's notice? This wasn't sudden damage or weather, sheesh)--but if not, well, we can move on to other lines if it becomes a habit.

Look at the patterns since Mr. Bayley took the top seat. I am unimpressed by the corporate attitude and arrogance displayed towards customers.