empress first 6 sailings canelled

baron9

Are the others after 23 May cancelled as well? The only sailing showing on RCI's website is the 6 June sailing.

On another website I typically use, it shows 13 cruises from May 28th to July 28th.

Oh, please. As I noted 100 posts ago on this thread, RCI had inspected Empress before November, yet didn't notice the defective or non-par equipment and conditions in the galleys (and provisions cold boxes as noted in the latest cancellation notice) and then have 4 months prior to the original shipyard date to get things ordered? The only "tall pole" here is the one the technical superintendents need to climb out of the s*** hole they dug for themselves. I have defended cruise lines in incidents from the Carnival Splendor to the Anthem storm where the facts justified, but this is gross incompetence and perhaps arrogance towards governmental regulations on the part of RCI.

I fall in love with you a little bit more each day! :D

I was on April 16 initially, moved to May 5. I still haven't received a call or e-mail, although they sent me a text yesterday saying they had sent me an e-mail and to also reply to the text. So, they can't even send an e-mail correctly it seems. And even better is that I can still open my May 5 booking on their website, do stuff on the cruise planner, print my setsail pass, etc.

Did you book through a travel agent? They should have received the notice and contacted you.

Did you book through a travel agent? They should have received the notice and contacted you.

No, it was a direct booking with RCI. I'm going to wait and see how long before they call me. My reservation is still available on line. I just cancelled all of my MTD reservations to see what would happen. It processed with no problem. Still no e-mail either. I guess I'll wait until Monday and if they still haven't done anything I'll call. I've already booked a Carnival cruise for the same dates.

My Travel agent called me yesterday to notify me that all three sailings in May got cancelled. She even stated that I would get a Future Cruise Certificate for 100 percent of what I paid for the cruise and a full refund.

She wasn't sure about the airfare when I told her I wouldn't be sailing on the Enchantment and was suppose to find out from RC on what they would do. I also paid for the cruise insurance. Will they reimburse me for that too.

In the meantime, I called American Airlines and was able to transfer my airline ticket to travel in July. There was a $200 change fee which enabled me to break even. I originally paid $550 for my flight to Miami and my new flight was $350.00 plus $200.00 change fee. So -- I broke even but will try and get RC to reimburse me for the change fee. Do you think they'll do it? I sure hope so.

My Travel agent called me yesterday to notify me that all three sailings in May got cancelled. She even stated that I would get a Future Cruise Certificate for 100 percent of what I paid for the cruise and a full refund.

She wasn't sure about the airfare when I told her I wouldn't be sailing on the Enchantment and was suppose to find out from RC on what they would do. I also paid for the cruise insurance. Will they reimburse me for that too.

In the meantime, I called American Airlines and was able to transfer my airline ticket to travel in July. There was a $200 change fee which enabled me to break even. I originally paid $550 for my flight to Miami and my new flight was $350.00 plus $200.00 change fee. So -- I broke even but will try and get RC to reimburse me for the change fee. Do you think they'll do it? I sure hope so.

Supposedly if you show them documentation of the change fee, they will pay it up to $200. Hopefully the documentation does not show your previous price too.

Just received a call from one of my friends who was cruising with a group of us. He said he was just told by our TA that RC has changed their stance and are now not offering the future cruise certificates for any of the new sailings that got canceled yesterday. He stated their only offering Future Cruise Certificates to those that got cancelled previously and this is the second cancellation. I am not sure if this is true but if it is, I don't know how they can get away with it when they sent the message out to all the Travel Agents yesterday stating they were going to give the future cruise certificates to all of us that got cancelled. If this is true, there are going to be a lot of unhappy customers. Me included!

Edited by Colorado Babe

Just received a call from one of my friends who was cruising with a group of us. He said he was just told by our TA that RC has changed their stance and are now not offering the future cruise certificates for any of the new sailings that got canceled yesterday. He stated their only offering Future Cruise Certificates to those that got cancelled previously and this is the second cancellation. I am not sure if this is true but if it is, I don't know how they can get away with it when they sent the message out to all the Travel Agents yesterday stating they were going to give the future cruise certificates to all of us that got cancelled. If this is true, there are going to be a lot of unhappy customers. Me included!

Sounds like someone misunderstood the offer

Sounds like someone misunderstood the offer

No. there was no misunderstanding. We have a copy of the letter that went out to all the travel agents stating they were giving out 100 percent Next Cruise future cruise Certificates. Now their stating it was a mistake and are stating their not.

Somehow you don't get that the Future Cruise Certificates are NON TRANSFERRABLE, as both Marion Mom and I have pointed out. So go ahead and give this person $500.00 in cash, as it would be the same as flushing $500.00 down the toilet. The certificate will do you NO GOOD!:eek:

Rick

I understand that, was answering dj's snide remarks

No. there was no misunderstanding. We have a copy of the letter that went out to all the travel agents stating they were giving out 100 percent Next Cruise future cruise Certificates. Now their stating it was a mistake and are stating their not.

Still on website.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/itineraryUpdates.do

Empress of the Seas additional cancelled sailings

April 25, April 30, May 5, May 9, May 14, May 19 and May 23

Royal Caribbean International is canceling seven additional Empress of the Seas' sailings on April 25, 30, May 5, 9, 14, 19 and 23.

Modernizing Empress of the Seas for her return to the Royal Caribbean International fleet began in late February. As work has progressed, we learned that more significant infrastructure and physical improvements across the ship's multiple galleys and provisioning areas were needed to meet our high standards.

We decided that instead of simply repairing the five galleys, we would completely rebuild them, starting from scratch with entirely new infrastructure and all new equipment, at a cost of $10 million.

Guests originally booked on the March 30, April 4, April 7, April 11, April 16 and April 21 sailings and rebooked on one of the newly cancelled sailings will receive a full refund and a future cruise credit of 100%.

Guests scheduled to sail within 14 days of departure on the cancelled April 25 or April 30 sailing, who do not rebook, will receive a full refund and a future cruise credit of 50% of the fare paid.

All other guests scheduled to sail on the May 5th - May 23rd sail dates will be provided an onboard credit if they rebook to another Royal Caribbean sailing.

Please contact your booking professional by April 30th for reaccommodation. Refunds will be issued to all guests that have not reaccommodated by this date.

Guests with air transportation booked through Royal Caribbean International that transfer to another sailing will be rebooked on new flights at no cost to the guest provided the same gateways are used. If a guest purchased their own airfare, we will be covering their airline change fee provided.

Our travel partner's commission for these sailing will be protected, as long as the bookings are named and deposited regardless if they will rebook with us. In addition, travel partners will receive a rebooking bonus from Royal Caribbean.

We sincerely apologize to our guests and travel partners for the inconvenience, and hope they understand that more time was needed to ensure Empress of the Seas meets the standards for quality our guests expect from Royal Caribbean.

Well good luck with that.

Was your booking a replacement for one of the previous cancelled cruises. According to the press release, only those situations received the 100% FCC.

Oh no. I am now very disappointed with RC. At least I am not going to lose any money since I was able to change my airfare and cancel the hotel. I can't believe they are not going to compensate all of us that were cancelled yesterday and don't want to rebook with another ship. I have no desire to sail on the Majesty or the Enchantment. This is a big pain in the you know what. Not good publicity for RC.

You should not be an unhappy customer.

You should be an unhappy former customer.

Still on website

So it seems that... (if I am reading correctly)

Guests that have been canceled on twice: 100% FCC.

Guests who are on the 4/25 or 4/30 sailings: 50% FCC.

All other guests: OBC (if rebooking another ship).

PS...This is the original letter, and it hasn't changed.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

So it seems that... (if I am reading correctly)

Guests that have been canceled on twice: 100% FCC.

Guests who are on the 4/25 or 4/30 sailings: 50% FCC.

All other guests: OBC (if rebooking another ship).

PS...This is the original letter, and it hasn't changed.

Correct. Sounds like the PP missed some of the details. If their TA actually has a different letter, with different details, they should be fighting to get what was originally offered. I don't think that is the case.

I think if you have a letter or email from RCCL with what they are offering then they can't say it was mistake. WOW this is a huge mess for everyone. Someone needs to get fired over this mess they have created.

Someone didn't do their job with estimating how long this project was actually going to take; someone sends out an email with a 100% FCC and now it is mistake. Who is running this company? If RCCL was smart they would do the right thing, come out with what exactly is going on and anyone who has been affected from the 1st and 2nd round of cancellations stop treating them like it is our fault.

I was on the 1st round of cancellations and got treated poorly by customer service because I didn't take the Majesty offer (no rooms available for the date we wanted/needed).

Canceled for a refund on both legs of B2B, I have an already booked cruise on Adventure in October, they applied my 50% future credit to that cruise when the TA asked them to. That was at around 1pm EST today. The credit was only available for the 4/30 sailing, the 5/5 sailing I just got my money back due to the cancellation I got no future OBC.

I am very disappointed. I am still trying to figure out if they are going to pay the $200.00 change fee? Also, I bought the insurance but won't need it since they cancelled. Will they reimburse me for it? I have three next cruise bookings sitting on my desk that I am contemplating cancelling. I just did a land tour in Thailand and had such a wonderful 3 weeks. Perhaps hubby and I will go back to doing them and only sail on RC one-two times a year instead of 5-6. Just not worth it to me. If I had cancelled, I would have been penalized. They have very poor customer service.

Just spoke to TA., she said that when RC called her yesterday they absolutely told her that they were giving me a 100 percent future cruise certificate and a full refund. Obviously today, the person who contacted her was mistaken. My TA's office is still waiting from RC to send the email. A friend of mine who was going to sail with me, was the one who got the information that RC put on their website. I just assumed when she sent it to me, that it applied to me. I guess since my TA told me I was getting a NCC, I just assumed it still applied.

My TA just called me. RC will reimburse me the $200 change fee and the Insurance that I paid for. They will not offer me anything else since I didn't rebook.

I am cancelling two of my future cruise sailings for next year to send a message to RC that I am not happy with them. Still trying to figure out if I will cancel some more. I am currently booked on the Explorer in June and already paid final payment. There are several other cruises that I have booked that I am really seriously thinking of cancelling.

I am not happy with RC. I am still hoping they will change their decision and offer us something.

You should not be an unhappy customer.

You should be an unhappy former customer.

I am cancelling two of my future cruise sailings for next year to send a message to RC that I am not happy with them. Still trying to figure out if I will cancel some more. I am currently booked on the Explorer in June and already paid final payment. There are several other cruises that I have booked that I am really seriously thinking of cancelling.

I am not happy with RC.

I am with you 100% ColoradoBabe (Hope you're doing well by the way since meeting on Legend last year). I tell you what, I am not affected by this but boy oh boy would I be rightly pi$$ed off. I've been a defender of RCL for years now (Adventure propulsion OBC/credit, Grandeur fire OBC/future credit, other like issues) but this pretty much negates any goodwill from previous years. Absolutely outstandingly horrible customer care from RCL, I'd be very very concerned as a shareholder. This should be in the media... and may very well be in days/weeks to come.

I cannot believe the competition doesn't flatly come out with blanket emails or promotions that explicitly say "Are you an unhappy RCL customer? Well, we'll give you full status on our ships right now if you start booking all your future cruises with us". I'd have a hard time not moving over to experience other lines and leaving RCL if this had affected me directly.

I truly hope that this being very early in the 2nd round of cancellations that things are a little out of control now with what's being presented to those affected, and hopefully better things will arise in the days to come. Sincerely good luck to all of you.