empress first 6 sailings canelled

baron9

Look at the patterns since Mr. Bayley took the top seat. I am unimpressed by the corporate attitude and arrogance displayed towards customers.

which is why we are branching out . . .

point being, they can lose customers and the more of these things they do the more they will lose. It is a very short term mindset RCI has with things like this Empress fiasco.

Right, so if not for the USPH, RCCL would let RCI slip to the same acceptable Pullmantur levels.:rolleyes:

So it seems in this case--which is why that line about it being THEIR (RCI's) high standards which require these costly renovations is so very eye roll worthy :rolleyes:

It might bite them---this incident, even though we were not affected at all, is what pushed me to book a late summer cruise on another line (booked yesterday). We still have 4 RCI's booked and do not plan on cancelling any--but would have had a fifth and now MSC gets that booking----I want to expand my options in case this type of things becomes a repeating pattern.

I can only imagine that even high status customers might find another line if they experienced this sort of thing, first hand, on multiple occasions.

I hope, very much, that this will prove to be a one time issue with RCI just totally screwing customers over (I mean, really? FIVE day's notice? This wasn't sudden damage or weather, sheesh)--but if not, well, we can move on to other lines if it becomes a habit.

But Hadley, it's already NOT a "one time issue."

After cancelling the first six with five days' notice, why would they do it again with seven more cruises and 12 days' notice?!!??!?!

It goes so far beyond incompetence and indifference. The mind truly boggles!!!!

I think it's a fact that Pulmantur has lower standards, at least in the food prep area, because they are not subject to USPH inspections and standards.
Looking at the CDC site it looks like almost all cruise lines are there . It is odd that Pulmantur is not listed .

Why is that ? Seriously why is that ?

http://wwwn.cdc.gov/InspectionQueryTool/InspectionSearch.aspx

Edited by richstowe

But Hadley, it's already NOT a "one time issue."

After cancelling the first six with five days' notice, why would they do it again with seven more cruises and 12 days' notice?!!??!?!

It goes so far beyond incompetence and indifference. The mind truly boggles!!!!

Yes--that is very true. The 12 days notice and minimal compensation (primarily the lack of flexibility and price protection, and failure to cover non refundable costs many of you had already incurred expecting to cruise) was one bad incident and then the five days notice with new cancellations and just about as bad issues is mind blowingly bad.

I guess i am seeing them as two issues related to the same one issue (Empress dry dock going totally over time and budget) .

In either case it is quite disheartening.

Yes--that is very true. The 12 days notice and minimal compensation (primarily the lack of flexibility and price protection, and failure to cover non refundable costs many of you had already incurred expecting to cruise) was one bad incident and then the five days notice with new cancellations and just about as bad issues is mind blowingly bad.

I guess i am seeing them as two issues related to the same one issue (Empress dry dock going totally over time and budget) .

In either case it is quite disheartening.

It means that their learning curve is directly vertical...........straight down. :rolleyes:

Looking at the CDC site it looks like almost all cruise lines are there . It is odd that Pulmantur is not listed .

Why is that ? Seriously why is that ?

http://wwwn.cdc.gov/InspectionQueryTool/InspectionSearch.aspx

My guess is that because the CDC is a U.S. Organization and Pullmantur does not sail to or from US ports they don't have any jurisdiction?

When I called C&A to re-book the May 16 Enchament cruise the rep was very friendly and said that I would get to keep the OBC I already had and get the additional $100 obc since we only booked an OV for this cruise and not a suite. She said there would be no additional cost, that they were price protecting and I should see this on line the next day.

The next day I logged in and it showed that I owed over $300 and my OBC was missing,:eek: so I sent an email with my concerns. I got a call yesterday to review my concerns. He said that this sailing on the Enchantment was not included in the choices we could make, but he was not sure what the rep told me and I told him it was recorded so he could listen for himself. I was pleasant and he did finally say they would honor what the C&A rep said and zeroed out my amount due and made sure all my OBC was there. So even though I had to fuss at least the final result was good as it could be.

One positive note was that when I told Delta what RCCL did to us they only charged me $100 per person to change the ticket dates since my original tickets were only $173 per person. I know we will get reimbursed, but who knows how long that will take and it was nice not to have to come up with $400 to change my tickets.

Look at the patterns since Mr. Bayley took the top seat. I am unimpressed by the corporate attitude and arrogance displayed towards customers.

And everyone here thought he was the second coming. ;)

Who misses Adam now?

The next day I logged in and it showed that I owed over $300 and my OBC was missing,:eek: so I sent an email with my concerns. I got a call yesterday to review my concerns. He said that this sailing on the Enchantment was not included in the choices we could make, but he was not sure what the rep told me and I told him it was recorded so he could listen for himself. I was pleasant and he did finally say they would honor what the C&A rep said and zeroed out my amount due and made sure all my OBC was there. So even though I had to fuss at least the final result was good as it could be.

That's strange and doesn't line up with what is happening. There are LOTS of Empress refugees on the May 16th Enchantment cruise. Myself included. I think they are overwhelmed and confused!!

My guess is that because the CDC is a U.S. Organization and Pullmantur does not sail to or from US ports they don't have any jurisdiction?

Correct, the USPH department only has jurisdiction over ships that visit US ports.

Has anyone who was cancelled in the first group of Empress cancellations actually got reimbursement for their airlines change fees? I filed the paperwork the next day which is now almost five weeks ago, and haven't heard anything.

What I'm wondering is what they mean by "up to $200" .. per flight segment, per record locator, or total? Per person of per reservation?

My cancellations totaled about $700 for the two of us, although none of that was a cancellation fee. The flights cost less than the cancellation fee so what I loss was less than it could have been.

Edited by publicpersona

Has anyone who was cancelled in the first group of Empress cancellations actually got reimbursement for their airlines change fees? I filed the paperwork the next day which is now almost five weeks ago, and haven't heard anything.

What I'm wondering is what they mean by "up to $200" .. per flight segment, per record locator, or total? Per person of per reservation?

My cancellations totaled about $700 for the two of us, although none of that was a cancellation fee. The flights cost less than the cancellation fee so what I loss was less than it could have been.

You should be calling them to see if they have the proper documentation. I sent them the docs more than once as they kept saying they didn't get what they needed. I have stayed on them weekly and even then I had to keep sending the docs. Finally got it all straight and received the 200.00 per person this past week.

This would be advice to anyone waiting - don't assume it's coming make sure they have all they need. Once I kept them on the phone and made them go through the emails I had sent to show them I had sent them what they were asking for the money was credited within a week.

Bayley seems to be the man hiding behind the curtain. He trots out Miss Vicki to make comments about problems while he stays silent (like with the Anthem storm). I was struck by his aloofness when Anthem "debuted" in Bayonne last fall. I was on one of the preview cruises and there we all were at a press event and the only speaking parts were given to Richard Fain, Vicki Freed, and the Captain of the ship at the time. Michael and Adam sat on the sidelines playing with their iPhones. Adam I can understand, but why the CEO of RCI seemed to be along for the ride was disappointing.

You should be calling them to see if they have the proper documentation. I sent them the docs more than once as they kept saying they didn't get what they needed. I have stayed on them weekly and even then I had to keep sending the docs. Finally got it all straight and received the 200.00 per person this past week.

This would be advice to anyone waiting - don't assume it's coming make sure they have all they need. Once I kept them on the phone and made them go through the emails I had sent to show them I had sent them what they were asking for the money was credited within a week.

You emailed it in? I was unaware that was an option...I only saw a postal address.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Same here. I mailed off my documentation that Saturday (the first round of cancellations being on that Friday) and it's been cricket and frog sounds since. I note that with the first round of cancellations the e-mail gave their address in Miami to send them to, but this time around they only provided the fax number (people still fax?) or the customer service e-mail.

It's sad that you had to go through that, and I guess I'll have to do the same, especially since their e-mail back on March 18 (for the first round of cancellations) said the following: "We ask that guests please send a copy of the receipt for the change fee, along with a brief note explaining that they were booked on the above mentioned sailing dates to the following address: Royal Caribbean International, Customer Service, 1050 Caribbean Way, Miami, FL 33132-2096."

I added the bold type to emphasize that they only wanted a receipt and BRIEF note explaining things.

Mycruise@rccl.com

Put your booking # in the subject line

In the body of the email put the date of original sailing and send the the invoice where the change fees are noted

Oh ya, I never did get an email or phone call I learned of the cancellation through Cruise Critic and I phoned them.

I still wonder when I would have found out otherwise.

Good Luck

Edited by #55worktoplay

My DH, who is on another drydock in Freeport took this pic of the Empress (next berth over). Does not look like much going on outside... But in a conversation with a Bahamas shipyard manager confirmed what most here said, the delays are for the roach infestation issue :eek:. Seems USPH will not clear the ship until it is stripped down to the steel in many areas (panels removed, kitchen equip, facades etc..) and a full extermination. He estimated a month. REALLY makes me wonder about the conditions on other Pullmantur ships!!!

IMG_0956_zpsvqj1unym.jpg

My DH, who is on another drydock in Freeport took this pic of the Empress (next berth over). Does not look like much going on outside... But in a conversation with a Bahamas shipyard manager confirmed what most here said, the delays are for the roach infestation issue :eek:. Seems USPH will not clear the ship until it is stripped down to the steel in many areas (panels removed, kitchen equip, facades etc..) and a full extermination. He estimated a month. REALLY makes me wonder about the conditions on other Pullmantur ships!!!

IMG_0956_zpsvqj1unym.jpg

So does your DH think that the May 28 sailing is likely to be a go or a no-go. We are the June 2 sailing and are wondering what our realistic chances of actually sailing will be.

I can also say that if the June 2 sailing is canceled RC has probably lost us as return customers as well