ANTHEM - What's going on with DD/Classic Dining?

I really don't understand why there has to be Classic, isn't it the same thing if people just book the same time every night and reserve a rotation of restaurants on their own each day?

Because folks are used to certain things and don't like change and can't be bothered to make a standing reservation. Also, there might not be any desirable times under Choice but you might be able to book Classic.

BTW, RCI is not making more menus available to give you more choices just because they want to be nice - they had enough feedback (complainers) to make them do it.

Because folks are used to certain things and don't like change and can't be bothered to make a standing reservation. Also, there might not be any desirable times under Choice but you might be able to book Classic.

BTW, RCI is not making more menus available to give you more choices just because they want to be nice - they had enough feedback (complainers) to make them do it.

Maybe they did have bad feedback. I'm just saying I haven't seen any complaining about food on any of the social media sites.

[quote name=beachbuddy;49878104

I really don't understand why there has to be Classic' date=' isn't it the same thing if people just book the same time every night and reserve a rotation of restaurants on their own each day? Guess I just don't understand the need for Classic.[/quote]

The main reason we booked this cruise (one year ago and our 'home' port) on the Anthem was because it had DD Classic. We are 13 people this year and it's much easier for us to be seated together, at the same time, in a rotation. We have a big group yearly and last year we had 17 people. This is almost impossible with DD Choice and certainly a big headache.

As I've said before, if it's a small group or couple, DD Choice or MY Time or Freestyle (etc) is preferred for me. But a large group is better and easier (no-brainer), with DD Classic or Traditional.

The main reason we booked this cruise (one year ago and our 'home' port) on the Anthem was because it had DD Classic. We are 13 people this year and it's much easier for us to be seated together, at the same time, in a rotation. We have a big group yearly and last year we had 17 people. This is almost impossible with DD Choice and certainly a big headache.

As I've said before, if it's a small group or couple, DD Choice or MY Time or Freestyle (etc) is preferred for me. But a large group is better and easier (no-brainer), with DD Classic or Traditional.

Agree 100%. After fighting the reservation system on Q last year for only 4 people, now that we have 6, I did not want to fight or worry about reservations again. Would I sail Anthem if it were only DD Choice, absolutely.....but I am glad to have the option of Classic too.

Edited by VaTech8912

I'm sure it's harder to schedule a very large group for Choice, especially if you want tables together. We had 10 people scheduled for DD on Quantum and my friend did have a difficult time getting us all linked but the system was new when we sailed Quantum - but she got us all linked and it worked great. We're sailing on Anthem with 8 people this time and 1 person made all her reservations and then just had us linked to her. It wasn't half as hard for her this time as it was when we sailed Quantum.

But I can certainly understand the difficulty of scheduling very large groups. My Aunt is running a trip on Anthem for her church and that's a very large group, however, they all made their own reservations so they could sit with whoever they want to sit with at dinners. They aren't sitting all together as a group.

It would be interesting to see what percentage of people travel as a group larger than 6 compared to travel as 2s, 3s, 4s

We have Dynamic Dining Choice. We are a large group. I made all the reservations through the cruise planner at all of the venues. Then sent an email to rcl dining with our reservation numbers, and they linked all the couples and we are all seated together each evening. No problems!

Edited by dedosr

We have Dynamic Dining Choice. We are a large group. I made all the reservations through the cruise planner at all of the venues. Then sent an email to rcl dining with our reservation numbers, and they linked all the couples and we are all seated together each evening. No problems!

Do you have an email for RCL dining?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Do you have an email for RCL dining?

Sorry for the delay,but the answer is what Bob said.

Edited by dedosr

Wow, they said they would get back to me when I sent my letter regarding DD and they actually did get back to me. Here's their response.

Dear Mrs. *****:

Thank you for your patience while we reviewed the future of Dynamic Dining. I am pleased to advise you that we will continue to offer Dynamic Dining.

Dynamic Dining Choice allows guests the option of selecting restaurants and dining times each day. Dynamic Dining Classic is an option for guests who prefer the traditional main dining style with the same dining companions and wait staff for the duration of their cruise.

We appreciate all our guests’ input received via comment card, survey, or personal contact. Whether it is positive or negative, your feedback provides us with opportunities to improve our services and grow as a company.

Mrs. *****, we sincerely appreciate your loyal patronage. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Kind Regards,

Joan Bernheimer

So glad this conversation has been put to rest and happy with Royal's decision.

Patty

So is the official word no change at all? No third menu? Here's the link to the article posted here saying that they are sticking with DD.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=7005

Wonder what will happen with Solarium Bistro? It would be great if they used the menus from Oasis. I loved the lunches there and dinner looked great, too.

Another customer who is very happy they have decided to continue with dynamic dining. Initial photographs from the interior of harmony suggest they are decorating the MDR with a similar scheme to the 3 separate dynamic dining restaurants originally envisaged - I wonder are they looking to a possible future where dynamic dining is introduced to other ships?

I can but hope!

I sent an e-mail to Mr. Bayley 4/21 asking that I be added to the list of folks hoping DD remains on Anthem. I said there was no need for his office to take time from their busy schedules to respond, but today I received a call from Nelson Frau in the Executive Office. He of course assured me DD will remain - Classic and Choice. He stated there will be enhancements to it but did not elaborate. I asked specifically if Solarium Bistro will be for Pinnacles and Suites only and he said absolutely not; it is open to everyone for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

I sent an e-mail to Mr. Bayley 4/21 asking that I be added to the list of folks hoping DD remains on Anthem. I said there was no need for his office to take time from their busy schedules to respond, but today I received a call from Nelson Frau in the Executive Office. He of course assured me DD will remain - Classic and Choice. He stated there will be enhancements to it but did not elaborate. I asked specifically if Solarium Bistro will be for Pinnacles and Suites only and he said absolutely not; it is open to everyone for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

That's funny. I am pretty sure that he is wrong about dinner in CK. :)

I read that the SB will be for suites and pinnacles only but any reservations already made will be honored. I think it will be open for everyone for breakfast and lunch, but not for dinner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by beachbuddy

I read that the SB will be for suites and pinnacles only but any reservations already made will be honored. I think it will be open for everyone for breakfast and lunch, but not for dinner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I read that too. That's why I asked and he responded with breakfast, lunch, and dinner is open to all passengers. If Mr. Bayley's office is giving out erroneous information..............:eek: (Probably won't be the last time)

Didn't we also read that they were getting rid of DD? I'm not sure that anything that's been rumored in this thread should be considered factual at this point.

But if it's true, then we should all make reservations there now so we can eat suite food when they change it!

Edited by MisterBill99

Didn't we also read that they were getting rid of DD? I'm not sure that anything that's been rumored in this thread should be considered factual at this point.

But if it's true, then we should all make reservations there now so we can eat suite food when they change it!

Not only was this read in here but been the only thing that's really been consistent with any changes

Our group already has reservations at SB for 2 nights so hope they honor them. All our reservations were made a couple months ago.

Nothing is changing with Dynamic Dining on the Anthem. End of rumor.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=7005

(3:15 p.m. EDT) -- Royal Caribbean has decided to stick with its Dynamic Dining program on Anthem of the Seas, as well as other Quantum-class ships -- at least when the passengers are primarily English-speaking.

"We have always been about innovation," said Mark Tamis, Senior Vice President of Operations for Royal Caribbean International. "Sometimes innovation comes with some growing pains. Dynamic Dining was certainly very different than how dining has been delivered on a cruise vacation for a long time. It's been a journey for us, as well as our guests. We're excited to be in the place where we are now.

When it debuted in late 2014, Dynamic Dining -- where passengers make reservations to eat in various venues, rather than a main dining room, with no set times and no set tables -- created controversy among Royal Caribbean regulars. Although many cruise lines, such as Norwegian, had already moved toward giving passengers more choice in dining, the break from tradition took some by surprise.

But Royal Caribbean kept tweaking the concept along the way. It added Dynamic Dining Classic as a compromise on Anthem of the Seas, allowing passengers to choose a fixed time and tablemates, while still rotating restaurants. In the Classic version, waiters stay with the diners as they move through American Icon Grill, Chic, The Grande and Silk -- and the improvement in service is one factor that has made Dynamic Dining work in its current iteration, Tanus said

Now, customer comment cards and other feedback show that passengers actually like the flexibility in meal times and venues, Tanus said. "It feels like a vacation to them," he said. "It's about having different experiences and variety of experiences."

Also, I have yet to find a credible source mention either way of the Solarium Bistro going to Suites and D/D+/Pinnacle only, so I'm going to suggest that was just a rumor as well.

Edited by jla410

Not only was this read in here but been the only thing that's really been consistent with any changes

Well, they really do need to do something with SB because it's just a clone of WJ at breakfast and lunch and they've got a great concept on Oasis that they could just implement.