ANTHEM - What's going on with DD/Classic Dining?

New to Dynamic Dining concept and I have to say I am totally confused.

We have booked Anthem to Bermuda in September and wanted, I believe, Dynamic Choice. We could only book Dynamic Classic.

Will we be able to switch to Dynamic Choice before the cruise date, or even once onboard, or are we stuck?

Now, assuming we can not change, how is the dining rotation determined i.e. what order are we given and can we opt out of one?

When do we find out about the rotation, so that we could book a specialty restaurant if one of the four was less desirable?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Did you call Royal? When I booked over a year ago, Dynamic Classic wasn't a choice. At some point it was and they automatically placed me in it! Since I always intended on going to many specialty restaurants, I didn't want that but I was unable to change online. I called and they were able to do it - actually seemed like they were trying to talk me into keeping it, but would have been a wasted spot/table. Not sure if they would for you, but they were able to for me.

My feelings as well. I have sailed out of NJ quite a few times and love it every time. Love being able to drive 20 minutes to the ship. But if what I'd like to do on a future cruise doesn't fit well with what's in the area, I just hop on a plane. No complaining. I just go to the ship that fits my plans best.

I have taken the Celebrity Summit a few times from the same NJ port A few times over the past 10 years. Smaller ship and no airports to deal with.

Patti, have the menus changed from Quantum? Just curious because we thought the menus were great except for Silk.

Yes, the menus are not the same as what we remember on Quantum. We were told that all 4 restaurants have added and removed items from appetizers to desserts. We remembered being served fried wontons with sweet chili sauce when we were first seated. They don't do that any more. I will say that Silk is still our most favorite and everything we have tried is fantastic. The glazed lamb chops are especially delicious.

In Coastal Kitchen they had a wonderful salted carmel pudding with waffer cone crumbled on top. That is no longer available.

OOOHHHHH. THAT is the reason that the two October Canada cruises disappeared!

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity, Patti!

You're welcome. We would have done the 2 cruises prior to the 10/23 repo because that would have been a "legal" b2b2b.:D

Thanks for the name of the Executive Chef.

Yes, the menus are not the same as what we remember on Quantum. We were told that all 4 restaurants have added and removed items from appetizers to desserts. We remembered being served fried wontons with sweet chili sauce when we were first seated. They don't do that any more. I will say that Silk is still our most favorite and everything we have tried is fantastic. The glazed lamb chops are especially delicious.

In Coastal Kitchen they had a wonderful salted carmel pudding with waffer cone crumbled on top. That is no longer available.

You're welcome. We would have done the 2 cruises prior to the 10/23 repo because that would have been a "legal" b2b2b.:D

Thanks for the name of the Executive Chef.

They're not service the fried wontons any more? They were this past November. Also, thanks for the tip about the lamb chop. Do you remember if it was on the first or 2nd menu in Silk?

Thanks Patti, People on early sailings of Quantum told me they loved Silk but when we sailed her, they had changed the menu and we didn't have the same menu that the earlier cruisers had. One of my friends was on both the early sailing plus our sailing and she even said Silk had gone downhill. Glad to hear your enjoying Silk. Hoping we enjoy it next time around.

Thanks for all the information you've been providing all of us.

Patty

Thanks Patti, People on early sailings of Quantum told me they loved Silk but when we sailed her, they had changed the menu and we didn't have the same menu that the earlier cruisers had. One of my friends was on both the early sailing plus our sailing and she even said Silk had gone downhill. Glad to hear your enjoying Silk. Hoping we enjoy it next time around.
Silk has been a disaster for a while. I spoke to one of the head chefs (from the specialty restaurants, I believe) while on board in January and he claimed it was because they had a curry-based menu while in the UK and that was not popular in the US. Maybe that was their excuse for having such terribly prepared dishes on it when I sailed, but I can tell you that the best items on the menu was stuff that was mildly Asian influenced, like the Five Spice Lamb Chops and the Hibachi Steak.

A co-worker was on board in March and got me copies of some of the menus and it appeared that there had been significant changes since January and the choices looked better. I am very interested to see how this all plays out, since I really do like the idea of different menus. The only thing we missed from the standard Royal menus were the cold fruit soups.

Edited by MisterBill99

Silk has been a disaster for a while. I spoke to one of the head chefs (from the specialty restaurants, I believe) while on board in January and he claimed it was because they had a curry-based menu while in the UK and that was not popular in the US. Maybe that was their excuse for having such terribly prepared dishes on it when I sailed, but I can tell you that the best items on the menu was stuff that was mildly Asian influenced, like the Five Spice Lamb Chops and the Hibachi Steak.

A co-worker was on board in March and got me copies of some of the menus and it appeared that there had been significant changes since January and the choices looked better. I am very interested to see how this all plays out, since I really do like the idea of different menus. The only thing we missed from the standard Royal menus were the cold fruit soups.

We sailed last week on Anthem, and Silk was my family's favorite restaurant. They were shocked when I told them the consensus on Cruise Critic is that Silk has the worst menu. Not true for us!

We missed the cold fruit soups too. Only place we found it was in the Solarium Bistro.

May will be here soon so we should be hearing some sort of announcement from Royal. I really am hoping they don't change DD. We loved eating in different restaurants and having different menus.

We're on Anthem May 5th and we've been told that Dynamic Dining is still on for that sailing. I guess we won't know until it actually happens, but as of now we have reservations for the cruise in various venues. It will be our first experience doing it this way so we're jazzed about the opportunity for something different.

Tom

May will be here soon so we should be hearing some sort of announcement from Royal. I really am hoping they don't change DD. We loved eating in different restaurants and having different menus.

We're on Anthem May 5th and we've been told that Dynamic Dining is still on for that sailing. I guess we won't know until it actually happens, but as of now we have reservations for the cruise in various venues. It will be our first experience doing it this way so we're jazzed about the opportunity for something different.

Tom

You are going to love it!

:)

Tom

Enjoy, Even if they announce something new soon, I think it would take them awhile to implement it. Hope you enjoy DD as much as we did.

We loved Silk so much in March that we changed reservations just to go back.

Hibachi steak was excellent. Service was fantastic.

We also liked Silk. The Hibachi Steak and the Pepper Steak were fantastic. I think the Pepper Steak was one of the best meals I've had on any cruise ship in a long time. I could go for it right now. Hope they don't get rid of either of those dishes.

CHANGES TO DINING ONBOARD ANTHEM OF THE SEAS®

From 30 April 2016, dining onboard Anthem of the Seas® will change from the current Dynamic Dining model to the Royal Caribbean standard model of Traditional and My Time Dining for all guests, with:

•Traditional dining in Chic and The Grande

•My Time Dining in American Icon and Silk

•Fleet menu in all four main restaurants which will rotate nightly

•Additonal seating in all four main restaurants

•Solarium Bistro joining Coastal Kitchen as an exclusive Suite Class restaurant

source:http://www.cruisingpoweruk.co.uk/rci/news.php?utm_source=rci_cpus_signup&utm_medium=email&utm_content=rci_discover_more_intro_button&utm_campaign=rci_summer_sports

I don't get it. Can someone please explain? I had DD, with my reservations made. So where do I eat? Same time everyday? And what is fleet menu?

The Fleet Menu is a selection of different meals throughout the week and also includes four or five classic offerings like salmon, grilled chicken breast and so on.

You will probably be switched to one of the new traditional dining rooms. If you prefer flexible dining times call your travel agent and try and switch to My Time Dining.

Jonathan

Edited by cruiserking

Well I emailed Mr. Bayley and told him I was disappointed - because we all know he'll care ;) in my email I mentioned how they came out with unique ships and have already gotten rid of WOW bands (unless I buy them) and now DD, so why should I sail the ship with such a high price tag after you've gotten rid of things that made it different.

If I hadn't done so much research on the Oct cruise I would cancel. But dh wants something other than the 7 day Bermuda offerings on NCL and didn't like the Celebrity repo to San Juan.

I will most likely cancel the April cruise I had booked on Anthem and look for something else. Maybe do Breakaway again or fly down to FL and do something from there. Maybe give MSC a try.

Extremely disappointed by this news. Fleet menus are the worst. Looks like I'll definitely be getting that BOGO 2 night package now.

I wouldn't even care if they put me in one room, but to change the menus to the standard fleet menus, that's the worst part of it, imo. They are tired and boring!

Booked Oasis to try DD when they announced it. Canceled it before sailing.

Booked Anthem to try DD - changed it 2 weeks before sailing.

No travel agent. What restaurants are included in My Time? If I dont get it, do I have to eat at Silk? I don't care for that type of food. Is my time like DD?

Basically think of it like Anthem going to dining just like the other RC ships. But instead of one large dining room, it will be split into 4 dining areas. All 4 dining rooms will have the same rotating fleet menus that the other ships have. You may end up eating in Silk, but everyone will have the same menu. You wouldn't be eating the 'old' Silk themed menu.

The big cluster will be seating everyone. I head the table were close together as it was, and now they will try to pack in more seats.

From my point of view, I'll probably be asking for some significant OBC as the DD dining and unique menus were an important factor in choosing Anthem. If Royal doesn't want to pony up some OBC that I can use for the Signature restaurants, I have no problem in cancelling my reservation and going with NCL