Beware, No Power Strips Allowed

So, using your analogy, if I were to say that crossing the street has no inherent risk, just because I haven't been hit by a car yet, makes it a valid argument?

More accurately...if people have been crossing the street in a specific location for more than 20 years...and no one has been hit...the risk is very low.

I'd still be interested in your take as to why the cruise lines are implementing, and taking the time and cost to enforce a policy that supposedly has no risk to them, and only places your belongings at risk?

In our industry...we call that a solution seeking a problem.

Whatever the answer I receive from the IEEE, I will post it here.

So, using your analogy, if I were to say that crossing the street has no inherent risk, just because I haven't been hit by a car yet, makes it a valid argument?

I'd still be interested in your take as to why the cruise lines are implementing, and taking the time and cost to enforce a policy that supposedly has no risk to them, and only places your belongings at risk? Especially when it has been shown to annoy guests when their power strips are taken away for the cruise.

Excellent point.

Whatever the answer I receive from the IEEE, I will post it here.

So using your analogy we shouldn't cross the street ? You have not posted a single incident of a fire due to a surge protector on a cruise line . Not one . Yet you mock CRUISEFAN0001's skepticism regarding the danger of their use . Where is the proof ?

So using your analogy we shouldn't cross the street ? You have not posted a single incident of a fire due to a surge protector on a cruise line . Not one . Yet you mock CRUISEFAN0001's skepticism regarding the danger of their use . Where is the proof ?

I really find it interesting that folks (not necessarily you, I don't know your posting history) will always call for USCG investigations when a fire or other emergency happens on a cruise ship, yet when something comes along that affects them, then the USCG is wrong and ignored. I like the fact that non-marine people claim that there is some mysterious difference between cargo ships and cruise ships. There are those who I can convince, and those I can't. I spend a lot of time on this subject, as I say not for my benefit, and will spend some more in conjunction with the IEEE, since this was brought up, but their proponent doesn't seem to want to further their involvement, but I will not spend a inordinate amount of time proving what US government and US industry have already found.

So we Need a ships fire caused By a surge protector to validate the obvious?:eek:

That´s pretty ridiculous.

chengkp75

I´d like to thank you for all your expert Posts on this and other subjects. It´s always a pleasure to read your Posts.:)

Thanks....we're sitting back waiting for tangible evidence this has indeed been a risk/problem/major cause for concern as was stated...nonetheless...the general advice is to adhere to policies...even when....like in this case...they are not founded on substance.

Since its likely there have been many thousands of violations for this practice, numerous examples of the results should be available.

Like the commercial says...still waiting...

Payitforward: will this device fit the 110 outlet on the desk?

Cheng: will this device (post 104) without surge protection used to charge cameras and iPads cause problems?

Thanks for you help. I want to be safe.

Margee

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Payitforward: will this device fit the 110 outlet on the desk?

Cheng: will this device (post 104) without surge protection used to charge cameras and iPads cause problems?

Thanks for you help. I want to be safe.

Margee

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I can't guarantee it isn't surge protected. I've found that I can't rely on advertising on consumer sites like Amazon to get accurate specifications. I've been unable to trace this back to a manufacturer website to see if there is any better information. The uber product I've linked to above, is similar, but again, I don't know how well it fits on the outlet.

I think I've traced this to Midwest Trading Group, and have e-mailed them requesting clarification of the specs.

Edited by chengkp75

That is absolutely correct, but UL 1449 (not marine) does include chapters on proper grounding of surge protectors and the additional requirements for using these surge protectors in specially grounded systems like marine applications.

The problem though, as I'm understanding the article from the USCG, is that 1) you must know which way the ship is wired, DELTA or WYE and 2) you must have a surge protector compatible with that type of wiring. Correct? The average person isn't going to know either of those things, nor understand the difference.

The information certainly isn't posted onboard.

It's amazing to me that someone who has the knowledge explains why something is dangerous and yet you say they are wrong.

Makes me think of all the people that claim vaccines cause autism even though doctor after doctor has said it isn't true.

Why listen to an expert when you can say you read something on the internet so it must be true.

He is not an expert. The advisory is for crew. It does not say surge protectors are banned. Just because someone sounds like they know what they are talking about does not mean they do. I believe he believes in what he is posting but that does not make it correct.

Edited by Charles4515

Just for kicks...I called an associate at our company who is an IEEE certified electrical engineer, and when I told him about these claims he thought I was joking. Then he told me that "whoever is making such claims has no clue about these devices or how they can be used". Enough said. End of conversation.

Any sane EE would think it was a joke. I am sure our resident "expert" believes what he is saying but sometimes someone with some knowledge goes off.

It's amazing to me that someone who has the knowledge explains why something is dangerous and yet you say they are wrong.

Makes me think of all the people that claim vaccines cause autism even though doctor after doctor has said it isn't true.

Why listen to an expert when you can say you read something on the internet so it must be true.

Congratulations . Excellent example . There are a whole lot of people who , just to be sure , don't vaccinate their kids because , you know , someone on the internet said vaccinations could be dangerous . No actual proof or examples but better safe then sorry .

So thank you for a great example of those who believe the unproven . Say hello to Pamela for me .

I have taken power strips before with no problem. The issue may have been down to specific steips that have surge protection built in.

I too thought this was the difference if they are allowed or not...does anyone have that answer :confused:

Any sane EE would think it was a joke. I am sure our resident "expert" believes what he is saying but sometimes someone with some knowledge goes off.

I am concerned now, because by your definition, I have a sanity problem.

The problem though, as I'm understanding the article from the USCG, is that 1) you must know which way the ship is wired, DELTA or WYE and 2) you must have a surge protector compatible with that type of wiring. Correct? The average person isn't going to know either of those things, nor understand the difference.

The information certainly isn't posted onboard.

All ships are wired delta, the only reason the USCG mentions the Wye configuration is that small commercial fishing vessels and inspected yachts tend to use wye, in order to be more compatible with shore power when docked and not requiring an isolation transformer. And no consumer surge protector is compatible with delta configuration.

Then I guess that cavediving isn't sane either. If you look at his posts on the thread I've linked here, he claims to have an EE background (and just like your perception of me, or anyone on this board, there's no proof), and he did the research, and came away convinced of the danger. Oh, well, maybe he will see this and chime in to defend his sanity. Funny thing, he signed his posts, and I googled him (apologies if this offends him), and his name on facebook provides a photo of a diver (cavediving?) and lists him as a graduate of Renssalaer Poly, a pretty prestigious engineering school.

I've read through the thread and am convinced of the potential danger of surge suppressors.

The answer to my question below is something that I don't think was addressed, or I may have missed it (sorry if that's the case).

Why are "electrical extension cords" the prohibited items, and not "power bars" or the explicit calling out of "surge suppressors"?

What I think of as a classic "extension cord" (where providing added length is the primary function) doesn't have any surge suppression as a feature. It's just one plug and one receptacle, wired straight through, with the gauge of the cord rated to carry a certain amperage. Or the few cords that might have 2 or 3 receptacles on the one end, and then those are just wired in parallel to the plug end.

It's much more likely for a "power bar" type of device to include the surge suppression feature. The way that RCI lists "extension cords" is a bit misleading and can make people think they are compliant without actually being so.

To the casual observer, it could appear that extension cords are banned (while power bars are not) due to trip hazard or under-rated cord fire hazard (e.g. if someone decided to plug a hair dryer into a "lamp cord" extension cord so they could use a hair dryer in the washroom, since that receptable inside the washroom is meant for something like an electric razor and not a high-current device such as a hair dryer).

Edited by moopetguy