Gifts for the Crew

Prujam

I have seen quite a few posts about extra tipping for exceptional service, and many other posts about giving people gifts (trinkets, food, calling cards, etc.). One thing I haven't seen, but very well could have missed it, is what do they want? Do they want calling cards or are we assuming they do? I do not like wasting money on things I assume people want and would rather give what they really want/like. I know cash is the great equalizer, but just curious on gifts in general :) I want to be thoughtful, not wasteful.

I have seen quite a few posts about extra tipping for exceptional service, and many other posts about giving people gifts (trinkets, food, calling cards, etc.). One thing I haven't seen, but very well could have missed it, is what do they want? Do they want calling cards or are we assuming they do? I do not like wasting money on things I assume people want and would rather give what they really want/like. I know cash is the great equalizer, but just curious on gifts in general :) I want to be thoughtful, not wasteful.
They want cash. Many calling cards can't be used by them in certain areas, plus most have computers to communicate with family and friends. They get all the food they want and, not to mention, one doesn't know what they will or can eat and what they won't eat. They have no room for trinkets, t-shirts, caps, etc., in their tiny cabin (imagine if 5 passengers gave them a cap on a 7 days cruise and you times that times 52 weeks and they can't get into their cabin because they have 260 caps).

If they want or need anything, if you give them cash they can purchase what they want and need. Think about it, how many times has someone given you a gift that you didn't want or need, but you nicely said thank you and then left wondering what you were going to do with it.

CASH! Just give them money! At your job, do you want "stuff" or do you want to be paid MONEY??? Well, so do they!

They share cabins that are smaller than the smallest passenger cabin...they have no room for "stuff".

Give them money!

Do you give hotel employees gifts? The server in your favorite restaurant? Then why would you do it on a ship?

The best thing you can do for outstanding staff members is to fill out a Vacation Hero card for them. Each department has a Vacation Hero of the Month which based on the cards received. Promotions also come from those cards. They are very important to staff.

The best thing you can do for outstanding staff members is to fill out a Vacation Hero card for them. Each department has a Vacation Hero of the Month which based on the cards received. Promotions also come from those cards. They are very important to staff.

Yes!

We like to give great crew members an envelope with a tip and a thank you note personally and let them know that a Vacation Hero card has been submitted for them.

Our butler from the Jewel was on our Pearl cruise and we had a chance to chat with him. He was all smiles and proudly wearing his Vacation Hero pin.:)

Please no gifts, you are not their family or friend.

Not to the OP, just ranting.

It is so wrong how unprofessionally and obtrusive some guests treat the crew. Do you really think the dream of some bloody young filipino woman is to get hugged and touched by obese caucasian tourist couples? Please keep some personal distance especially with those people who feel intimidated expressing their honest feelings.

Treat the crew? How about just in general? I recently have developed a massive annoyance to those that feel it's necessary to step in my breathing bubble (hula-hoop people!!), or constantly touch me when talking to me, or "oh come here give me a hug, I'm a hugger" well I am not! I agree micm, thank you for the post :)

That is why I posted about the gifts ... I am just not sure I want to give someone a $20 gift when I don't know what they want/like, and I'd rather just do cash ... but I see so many postings from people talking about what they've given their room stewards and thought maybe I was not up on the social norm. I am already given odd looks for not shaking your hand or shying away from your hugs, didn't want to also get odd looks for not giving you some hometown trinket and giving you cash instead, HA!

The best thing you can do for outstanding staff members is to fill out a Vacation Hero card for them.

I agree. I don't remember what they're called on HAL, but they have them, and I suspect they do the same thing. Good feedback from passengers will keep these folks working, which is what they need to do to support their families back home. I also agree that extra $ is what they really need and want. As for bringing them Christmas gifts (and I speak as a life-long Episcopalian), while I'm sure they appreciate the gesture---or pretend to---I find the idea a little condescending, as some/many/who knows? do not celebrate Christmas. And as others have pointed out, they really don't have room for stuff/things/gifts. But money---that's the gift that keeps on giving.

Edited by Langoustine

Cash, vacation hero cards and leftover bus tickets or tokens (Bermuda). We had unopened bottled water that we did not want to carry back home so I asked the steward if she wanted them and she was thrilled. She said it is so expensive to buy bottled water at some ports. SHE hugged me.

Treat the crew? How about just in general? I recently have developed a massive annoyance to those that feel it's necessary to step in my breathing bubble (hula-hoop people!!), or constantly touch me when talking to me, or "oh come here give me a hug, I'm a hugger" well I am not! I agree micm, thank you for the post :)

That is why I posted about the gifts ... I am just not sure I want to give someone a $20 gift when I don't know what they want/like, and I'd rather just do cash ... but I see so many postings from people talking about what they've given their room stewards and thought maybe I was not up on the social norm. I am already given odd looks for not shaking your hand or shying away from your hugs, didn't want to also get odd looks for not giving you some hometown trinket and giving you cash instead, HA!

Cash is not what they want IMHO

I've been told they like trinkets key chains magnets hats etc from your hometown along with photos of you with them taken on board

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Please no gifts, you are not their family or friend.

Not to the OP, just ranting.

It is so wrong how unprofessionally and obtrusive some guests treat the crew. Do you really think the dream of some bloody young filipino woman is to get hugged and touched by obese caucasian tourist couples? Please keep some personal distance especially with those people who feel intimidated expressing their honest feelings.

Would it be less offensive to be touched and hugged by strange slim caucasian tourist couples?

What they really want is bits of paper with pictures of dead presidents, if you get my drift.

They want pictures of famous dead Americans.

At the end of one of my cruises, we had left over liquid laundry soap(you never know, right?)and some soda I had brought, neither of which I wanted to bring back home. I asked a different crew member about the soap because I knew I didn't want to just pour it down the drain. It was suggested that I offer it to our cabin steward, which he happily accepted. That plus the soda. He assured us that he would be able to share it with his colleagues and not have to throw it out.

The only time I've ever given a gift to a crew member is when we had become friends over the course of three cruises and kept in touch via Facebook after the cruises. I knew her boyfriend loved chocolates so we brought them some to share but also tipped in cash. When we went to shore and we knew she was working, I asked her if we could pick anything up for her, she asked for a fridge magnet. Since we were getting one for ourselves it was easy to get her one as well. But they live in such close quarters and get discounts on shopping and Internet, there really is no need to buy them anything unless you know they wanted it.

Debit Card by Visa or MasterCard (AE aren't as useful), preloaded with cash - ready to use, works just like green bucks or cash.

Plus, you can add a personalized short message on the gift envelope's outside or inside the flap.

So...my steward doesn't really like the 500 piece puzzle I have him on my last cruise?

(Kidding. There is a very long old thread on this. They want cash...)

Edited by txagfan