Grandeur pax heads up...Balt gangway collapses

Thanks Bob. I'd hate to be the Captain and have to call and explain that one.

The Captain may not have been at fault. I've used that port/gangway about 8 times, and still trying to wrap my head around what happened. The gangway had to be too close to the dock, or not in the correct position for the ship to hit it. JMHO...thank goodness no one was hurt.

I was thinking the captain was transferred from Costa :D

... I think the captain re-iterated about ten time "At this point, I personally was on the Bridge"

Someone on the thread on Carnival's site on CC said they know someone who works at the port who said, it appears that the gangway operator jumped the gun and hit the ship with the walkway and that the ship didn't hit the gangway. It would be very difficult to hit the gangway unless it was extended. If you've ever seen it retracted, it's far enough back from the edge of the pier so that it can't be hit by the ships. I'm pretty sure a ship would have to hit the pier in order to hit the gangway.

Someone on the thread on Carnival's site on CC said they know someone who works at the port who said, it appears that the gangway operator jumped the gun and hit the ship with the walkway and that the ship didn't hit the gangway. It would be very difficult to hit the gangway unless it was extended. If you've ever seen it retracted, it's far enough back from the edge of the pier so that it can't be hit by the ships. I'm pretty sure a ship would have to hit the pier in order to hit the gangway.

But wouldn't the operator be inside the gangway operating it? By what the gangway looks like afterward the operator would have been severely injured or worse.

As it is laying on its side, it was obviously dragged along by a moving object; the ship. The ramp does not extend beyond the side of the pier, but the ship can extend over the edge of the pier. It has been reported that while the ramp may not have been in the proper position, the mooring platform on the bow hit the ramp and then the ship moved along the pier and dragged the ramp along. As I said on the Carnival thread, when a moving car hits a parked car, the moving car is "at fault".

As it is laying on its side, it was obviously dragged along by a moving object; the ship. The ramp does not extend beyond the side of the pier, but the ship can extend over the edge of the pier. It has been reported that while the ramp may not have been in the proper position, the mooring platform on the bow hit the ramp and then the ship moved along the pier and dragged the ramp along. As I said on the Carnival thread, when a moving car hits a parked car, the moving car is "at fault".

Oh, I understand that. I was just reporting what was said and trying to figure it out. My DH is retired US Navy Captain and what happened today is most likely a career ender.

Edited by BND

Oh, I understand that. I was just reporting what was said and trying to figure it out. My DH is retired US Navy Captain and what happened today is most likely a career ender.

Maybe, maybe not. Depends on what the USCG investigation shows.

We have been discussing this on FB and there were sources cited that the GANGWAY hit the SHIP, not the other way around.

My opinion is that the operator was watching the Kentucky Derby and was starting to dream about the nearby Preakness Stakes in two weeks.

:D

Should be anytime now that we have folks posting that they want compensation for delayed boarding due to this situation.

Just out of curiosity is the "pilot" still on the ship when it pulls in?

Yes, the pilot is still onboard. As noted on the other thread, the pilot is never in command, nor is he at the controls of the ship. The pilot is merely an adviser to the Captain for local conditions. The Captain is still in command, and may countermand or relieve the pilot at any time at the Captain's discretion.

Thanks for this info. It is big news. I don't really know what the situation will be by the time of my cruise. I will plan to allow extra time for the process.

Err, no plans to request any other compensation than to have a great time on the cruise ... and also to hope that Grandeur avoids crashing into anything. :p