Help needed regarding best ports

Thanks everyone who answered my previous post about which cruise ship to choose. I have narrowed it down to Oasis of the Seas or Adventure of the Seas. We are planning on a New Years Eve cruise and the islands are a little different for each ship.

Oasis is an 8 night cruise ex Port Canaveral and visits Basseterre, Philipsburg, San Juan and Labadee and 3 days in total at sea.

Adventure is a 7 night cruise ex San Juan and visits Bridgetown, Castries, St Johns, Basseterre & Philipsburg with 1 day at sea.

Which itinerary would you choose and why?

I think I would choose Oasis if it did Castries as I have heard St Lucia is beautiful. Or would the other islands we are visiting make up for missing this one?

We are from Australia and haven't been to the Caribbean before.

Edited by Pete&Jackie
wanted to add where we are from

I would go with the one with more ports.

Depending on the exact dates of the cruise, sailing on a NYE cruise may have a lot of kids on board (I am not saying this is a bad thing, I just see the ship as being at capacity). This will make the ship seem more crowded, especially on sea days.

If you are looking to enjoy the ship more (meaning sea days) you will have that opportunity when most guest disembark the ship while in port.

My opinion is based solely on sea days vs. port days. It's not based on ship.

Adventure. It's more ports and the Southern Caribbean are just "better" than the eastern or western. I'm not sure why I think they're better, maybe it's the beaches, maybe it's the people but there is just a better feel about the Southern islands. Another thought, if you sail Oasis, you'll have a stop for a few hours in San Juan. If you sail Adventure, you'll probably fly in a day early so you'll have a whole day to explore San Juan.

Still sticking to my guns and saying the Oasis....especially since you have two teenage boys. I think they have much more to do, they have the Aqua theatre and many more activities and eateries. All ports in the Caribbean are fabulous and since you have never been there, you don't have anything to compare it to. I have not been on the Adventure, but I have been on the Explorer...and yes, I loved it, but the Oasis blows any ship out of the water. :):D:)

Edited by champagne123
nnnn

My vote would be for Southern Caribbean. Have done Eastern and Western muntiple times and they are ok ports. Since you are traveling so far for this cruise I would suggest you see as many islands as possible. All of the Caribbean islands offer interesting things to see and do but Southern would be my choice. Happy Sails To You.

I would stick with Oasis too. If you've never been to the Caribbean before, then the ports are not old and stale to you as they are for many of us.

Itineraries with only 1 sea day can be very exhausting.

Have you visited the Ports of Call board? I recommend reading up on each port, and seeing which ones appeal to you.

I would stick with Oasis too. If you've never been to the Caribbean before, then the ports are not old and stale to you as they are for many of us.

Itineraries with only 1 sea day can be very exhausting.

Have you visited the Ports of Call board? I recommend reading up on each port, and seeing which ones appeal to you.

Probably a good choice given the OP's circumstances. If they had sailed an Oasis Class or been to the Caribbean before or both, I may feel differently.

Another vote for the Oasis.

Given you're from down under, this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for your family. The technological marvel that is the Oasis and the ports will both create unforgettable memories.

If you enjoy being at sea and on board more, go for the Oasis; if you prefer to explore more ports, go for the Adventure.:rolleyes: Like a previous poster said, fun things for your kids will be added this fall to the Adventure and the southern Caribbean can't be beat, so I vote for Adventure!;) Snorkeling with the sea turtles in Barbados (via Calabaza) was awesome!:cool: Have fun whatever you choose!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My vote is for Adventure. The Southern Route has been my favorite cruise to date! We had a total of 5 ports and St. Lucia is where I had the best excursion to date. Airfare to San Juan is the only thing that keeps me from taking that route again.

Thanks everyone who answered my previous post about which cruise ship to choose. I have narrowed it down to Oasis of the Seas or Adventure of the Seas. We are planning on a New Years Eve cruise and the islands are a little different for each ship.

Oasis is an 8 night cruise ex Port Canaveral and visits Basseterre, Philipsburg, San Juan and Labadee and 3 days in total at sea.

Adventure is a 7 night cruise ex San Juan and visits Bridgetown, Castries, St Johns, Basseterre & Philipsburg with 1 day at sea.

Which itinerary would you choose and why?

I think I would choose Oasis if it did Castries as I have heard St Lucia is beautiful. Or would the other islands we are visiting make up for missing this one?

We are from Australia and haven't been to the Caribbean before.

The ports are just a lot more fun on the Adventure. She's a great ship and you can have fun on her also. One consideration. Getting to PR during the holiday will be expensive. 20 to 30% higher than usual and less options for reroute if there is weather issues.

If this is your first Caribbean cruise I would go with the Oasis. The ship, on its own, is a destination.

The shows are wonderful and there is so much to do. It is an experience for sure. :)

Edited by janetz

As Janetz says, the ship is the destination for Oasis. If you have never been to the ports they are all good tourist places to visit. Adventure is a great ship - did a B2B to hit both routes last summer. Sailing out of San Juan is about the ports. BUT, a holiday trip to San Juan could be very expensive. Check airfares and hotel rates before you decide. Of course Ft Lauderdale isn't cheap that time of year either.

Typically Oasis costs more for the same length cruise. Like Disney - more to do onboard.

If I was coming in from Australia and had never been to the Caribbean I would do 14 days on Adventure to see a lot of different islands and reduce the travel overhead (air and hotel). We prefer the Aruba route, but both are great. If sailing on Oasis I would spend a few days at the theme parks in Orlando (only about 3 1/2 hour drive from Ft Lauderdale and easier to fly into).

Adventure hands down. We've done all of the island you'll be visiting, whichever you choose, and there's no question in my mind that you get a far better choice of ports with the Adventure. As you say, St. Lucia is beautiful. We've stayed there three time on land holidays and visited multiple times on cruises and continue to enjoy it every time.

I'd do the eight night w/ three days at sea. All those post days in a row can get tiring.

If you pick the one w/ Barbados, it the best tour buses in over 20 cruises.

All southern Caribbean were hot, hot, hot!

Edited by knittinggirl