Advice to Overseas Cruisers coming to Australia

Not a bad price for Mexico...inflation rules. Was the Tomato sauce complimentary?

Yes free sauce and you get them at any bunnings stores in Victoria Australia sorry don't know if other states or territories bunnings do them I'm guessing yes they probably do

Edited by Hawka

Yes free sauce and you get them at any bunnings stores in Victoria Australia sorry don't know if other states or territories bunnings do them I'm guessing yes they probably do

They do in NSW in fact a few weeks back the charity whose turn it was couldn't be there so the store staffed it and shared the money made between the charities that normally run it, so I guess it must be a bit of a crowd drawer for the stores.

Have had this year's ago they aren't bad

A battered sav, should be just that a battered saveloy, usually cut down the middle lengthwise.

A Pluto should be made on a Frankfurt rather than a sav, left whole. If we got really technical they used to have a lighter batter too.

See I did learn something while my nan was working in a fish and chip shop.

They do in NSW in fact a few weeks back the charity whose turn it was couldn't be there so the store staffed it and shared the money made between the charities that normally run it, so I guess it must be a bit of a crowd drawer for the stores.

That's awesome good on them for doing that

A battered sav, should be just that a battered saveloy, usually cut down the middle lengthwise.

A Pluto should be made on a Frankfurt rather than a sav, left whole. If we got really technical they used to have a lighter batter too.

Not sure which I had but it was one of them I was a kid at the time :-) either way I liked it

:eek:

My German-ancestry DH would be very upset hearing frankfurters referred to as luncheon meat.

Admittedly frankfurts are a pale imitation of a brockwurst (the original frankfurter) but they aren't luncheon meat.

Luncheon meat is a pale imitation of liverwurst and/or mortadella. Bologna is the American version of that.

Don't forget the salami - how many variations of that are there? From mild to blow-your-brains-out spicy.

One thing I've really enjoyed discovering since living in Sydney is the wide variety of European sausages and deli meats. There wasn't a strong European influence in NZ when I lived there so there was much less variety - just the bland Aus/NZ versions of such products.

Sydney is very multicultural for euro heritage as well as for the rest of the world. A big melting pot of cuisines.:D

They do that every where I suppose. The public holidays bbqs are so popular that they (the charities) bid for them here in the ACT by stating how many people they plan to man the stall and thus ensuring that there will be a good supply of sausage sangas.

Edited by MicCanberra

I suppose it depends on who and where they are being made.:cool:

saveloys are called polonies in nz,you are kidding yourself if you think,pre-packaged savs, franks, are not manufactured meat.Just made into different shapes.Exactly the same as luncheon meat.Big,small,round,long,thin,thick,flat etc,etc.

chuck some olives into it,slice it hey mortadella.

This crap is not European cuisine,as okj says you have to go to a artisan shop for that.

One thing I did like was the Huttons black pudding.(nz)

Yes, they are very sneaky. They know it's hard to walk past a sausage sizzle.

Dagwood,pluto yum,eat the batter throw away inside.Keep stick as a hair pin.Noice.

We actually are in N.S.W.

Figured it out yet Gut.:);)

Oh you are from the Premier State? You must be nice people then.

saveloys are called polonies in nz,you are kidding yourself if you think,pre-packaged savs, franks, are not manufactured meat.Just made into different shapes.Exactly the same as luncheon meat.Big,small,round,long,thin,thick,flat etc,etc.

chuck some olives into it,slice it hey mortadella.

This crap is not European cuisine,as okj says you have to go to a artisan shop for that.

One thing I did like was the Huttons black pudding.(nz)

:confused: Polonies? I never ever heard them called that there, they were just saveloys. And the cocktail ones were called cheerios - always a favourite at kids parties. Every so often I seen them in a store and the old childhood taste memory flares up - but I know I'd probably hate them now.

All forms of sausage/deli meats are just meat processed in some way. Usually made from offcuts that can't be sold separately . Flavourings do differ. There was one brand of saveloy that was absolutely delicious when I was in my 20s. I never knew exactly what brand they were (may have been a very small smallgoods company) but local Petone fish shop used to sell battered ones for a while but eventually went back to the regular ones.

I hated black pudding until I went to Ireland a few years ago. They had really nice black pudding. The Scottish black pudding was quite nice too. Neither were as dense or as strong in flavour as the NZ one.

My German-ancestry DH would be very upset hearing frankfurters referred to as luncheon meat.

Admittedly frankfurts are a pale imitation of a brockwurst (the original frankfurter) but they aren't luncheon meat.

Luncheon meat is a pale imitation of liverwurst and/or mortadella. Bologna is the American version of that.

Don't forget the salami - how many variations of that are there? From mild to blow-your-brains-out spicy.

One thing I've really enjoyed discovering since living in Sydney is the wide variety of European sausages and deli meats. There wasn't a strong European influence in NZ when I lived there so there was much less variety - just the bland Aus/NZ versions of such products.

I do like the thick Continental franks, Princess have them up in their Trident Grills on deck.

I go and get some GF bread from the buffet, take it back to the grill and whack ye olde continental frank in the bread with onions, sauerkraut if they have it and sweet American mustard. I call it a 'Coeliac hot dog.'

The Princess Cruise Lines Food & Beverage Managers should be reading this thread, they could learn something...like get GF hot dog rolls on your ships for the likes of Uncle Les and his fellow sufferers !!!

I have been to Frankfurt, Munich and Berlin in Germany, tried the wieners, wunderbar !! nothing beats the genuine article.

BTW, OzKiwi JJ...the small franks, @ saveloys/cheerios are also known as 'little boys' in NSW. I won't go into that. LOL.

Edited by NSWP

Sydney is very multicultural for euro heritage as well as for the rest of the world. A big melting pot of cuisines.:D

I know. Sydney is a foodie heaven! :D :D

Don't get me started on the range of cheeses available here. ;)

I love cheese, I wouldn't mind getting a statue of baby cheeses for Christmas time.

ROTFLMAO!

But that could get a bit messy. Baby cheeses = young cheeses = soft / fresh cheeses ie brie, camembert, mozzarella / bocconcini / fiore di latte etc. All cheeses that turn very runny without refrigeration. ;)

I love cheese, I wouldn't mind getting a statue of baby cheeses for Christmas time.

My 10 year old grandson is addicted to Fetta Cheese. When we go out he orders a Greek salad, no olives but extra fetta cheese, he devours the cheese real quick.

I bought him a 500gm block of Fetta Cheese from Aldi for his birthday, gift wrapped it real nice, just for a laugh. He thought it was Christmas and devoured the lot on the half hour drive home.

Edited by NSWP

My 10 year old grandson is addicted to Fetta Cheese. When we go out he orders a Greek salad, no olives but extra fetta cheese, he devours the cheese real quick.

I bought him a 500gm block of Fetta Cheese from Aldi for his birthday, gift wrapped it real nice, just for a laugh. He thought it was Christmas and devoured the lot on the half hour drive home.

That's a lot of cheese at one time! Still fetta isn't as rich as some cheeses.

I call DH the cheese mouse. Years ago, when he started working from home, the cheese kept disappearing out of the fridge. He claimed there was cheese mouse in the fridge! :rolleyes:

Unfortunately he has expensive tastes in cheeses so these days it's "cheese or cruising?".

Miss Gut has a birthday coming up and decided that rather than real food she wants

Fairy Bread

Party pies

Little boys

Chocolate Crackles

And all the other stuff she had 25 or so years ago.

Oh and one of those cone shaped cakes with a doll stuck in it.... I once knew the real name, but that was when she was little.

Miss Gut has a birthday coming up and decided that rather than real food she wants

Fairy Bread

Party pies

Little boys

Chocolate Crackles

And all the other stuff she had 25 or so years ago.

Now that's bringing back some wonderful memories :D Oh and a bit more than 25 years for me :eek:

What about the rolled up sliced devon with mashed potato inside - what were they called? And traffic light sandwiches.

All washed down with GI cordial!