Advice to Overseas Cruisers coming to Australia

My DW and I are preparing ourselves in earnest before we visit this great country of yours early next year.

In preparation for this epic journey, I have been following this thread with great interest, and it is a fountain of knowledge. There is far more to learn here than in any guide book.

My DW is however taking a different approach and watching Neighbor’s and Home and Away everyday as she claims she is learning about every day life in Oz.

This is fascinating stuff.

As for food well well we in Scotland have our fair share of interesting foods and there are too many to list but, just as a wee snapshot we have delights such as;

Black Pudding: - basically boiled pigs blood.

Haggis: - The cooked version ie which consists of sheep’s heart, liver, lungs and all cooked in a sheep’s stomach. The real haggis is a protected species and is extremely rare in the wild.

Stovies: - Consists of fat, onions, tatties and corned beef all mashed together.

Sheep’s Head Broth: - a delightful soup but remember to remove the brain and tongue first!

Rowies: Basically about 500 calories of cooked dough.

Deep fried Mars Bar: - a popular chocolate bar dipped in deep fried batter.

And no wonder we have a high record of heart disease but…I digress.

We look forward to your arrival, if you tell us the exact dates and times we can have the ECG machine on standby.;)

Oh and one of those cone shaped cakes with a doll stuck in it.... I once knew the real name, but that was when she was little.

Are you going to jump out of the said cake Mr Gut? Like they do in the US of A.

Strewth, fair suck of the sav you wonderful Aussie CC members.

You have just filled four pages with posts about all types of sausages (and with a bit of cheese thrown in).

Why, it is enough to put any vegan reading this thread off meat for life - anyone for a carrot?

Has there been any sausage or likewise meat product that has not been mentioned?

I can think of only one but I am definately not going there!!! But I digress

But what will our valued overseas cruisers make of all this?

Well no doubt they will think we live on sausages, cakes and cheese (we all know that is true but they do not need to know our peculiar fetishes - do they).

Only one overseas CC has chipped in, Condorfan from California USA - see what he/she said in the above quote - please read and digest - now you know where I am coming from.

Well unfortunately, we Aussies love to talk (to anyone who will listen), to educate as well as give much advice, right or wrong, so everyone will just have to pull in their belt and accept our weird and odd ways.

So there it is - up front and out in the open.

Our posts and discussions serve only to enrich our overseas guests cruise/holiday experience in Australia.

We give information and advice that cannot be found elsewhere.

To do otherwise would be unAustralian

All the chatter of quirky foods has me forewarned and convinced that I'll just stay in a pub!!

A piece of very useful info for some of our USA friends.

White joggers* (sneakers) worn with white socks pulled tightly to lower calf went out of fashion in about 1980 in Australia.:D

* unless they are Dunlop Volleys that is.

Edited by woodyren

White joggers* (sneakers) worn with white socks pulled tightly to lower calf went out of fashion in about 1980 in Australia.:D

Certain white sand shoes also indicate a recent "holiday" in less than pleasant surrounds, especially if worn with green trackies.

But they are still one of the best ways to see if any spiders or such are crawling up your leg.;)

Oh dear the white socks and thongs.

Formal wear for P&O Orstralia ? What would the Cunarders say about that ! LOL.

Actually having been on P&O UK a few times, might I say the Brits love the socks and sandals, any colour socks, looks awful on ye olde Promenade deck. Uncle wears his Rivers Sandals (quality - not K Mart) but NO socks wiv 'em. I am no Bogan or Chav. LOL LOL

Edited by NSWP

Actually having been on P&O UK a few times, might I say the Brits love the socks and sandals, any colour socks, looks awful on ye olde Promenade deck. Uncle wears his Rivers Sandals (quality - not K Mart) but NO socks wiv 'em. I am no Bogan or Chav. LOL LOL

Good to hear,i must say you are saving face,these days.:p

After seeing some people's feet, :eek: I don't mind seeing some of them wearing socks with sandals, if you know what I mean.;)

Well I still wear white joggers with white socks, but I have never been guilty of having my socks anywhere other than in a wrinkled heap around my ankles.:D

Recently back from the USA and the trend there is for those little, shorty, ankle sox. May even get some myself.

Deep fried Mars Bars we used to have here, haven't seen one for yonks.

still are if you look carefully a f&c in frankston has them when i was last there and i think my local has them too