Advice to Overseas Cruisers coming to Australia

[quote name='Bpos']You are in luck erniebernie

You can get pizza at the Australian Heritage Hotel, the Rocks, Sydney - about a [B]10 minute walk[/B] from the Overseas Terminal which includes (from their Heritage range) the following:

Pepper Kangaroo

Coat of Arms (Emu and Kangaroo)

Saltwater crocodile

Apparently they have cold beer too.

How handy is that.[/QUOTE]

Another great pub for a lunch before boarding and miss out on the buffet bedlam.

[quote name='mrs and mrs']Isnt sausage,on/in bread roll called a hot-dog,and sausage on slice of bread just called that.Sausage in bread.[/QUOTE]

Hot dog - boiled Frankfurt in a roll vs
Sausage Sanga (sandwich) - BBQed sausage on a slice of bread.

[quote name='GUT2407']Back on tucker I see.

2. Sometimes rather than the bread roll the sausage is placed on a slice of bread which is then wrapped around the sausage.[/quote]

AKA Sausage in a blanket.

or Sausage bleeding in a blanket (with ketchup)

The sausage can also be split in half,smothered in fried onions,and go the exotic barbeque sauce.

As this requires 2 slices of bread,needs to be eaten with 2 hands,where the single slice method 1 hand.

The price of these mystery bags,usually found outside local hardware stores,has crept up from $1.00,$1.50,$2.50 even to $4.00 Edited by mrs and mrs

[quote name='mrs and mrs']The sausage can also be split in half,smothered in fried onions,and go the exotic barbeque sauce.

As this requires 2 slices of bread,needs to be eaten with 2 hands,where the single slice method 1 hand.

The price of these mystery bags,usually found outside local hardware stores,has crept up from $1.00,$1.50,$2.50 even to $4.00[/QUOTE]

Nah I can eat it one hand, but then I can eat most things no handed, I use me mouth. Still $2 or $2.50 here and $1 a can of Coke.

[quote name='Bpos']You are in luck erniebernie

You can get pizza at the Australian Heritage Hotel, the Rocks, Sydney - about a [B]10 minute walk[/B] from the Overseas Terminal which includes (from their Heritage range) the following:

Pepper Kangaroo

Coat of Arms (Emu and Kangaroo)

Saltwater crocodile

Apparently they have cold beer too.

How handy is that.[/QUOTE]
had the croc it was ok the one i had in Katherine was better , next time i go i will try the coat of arms

[quote name='GUT2407']Nah I can eat it one hand, but then I can eat most things no handed, I use me mouth. Still $2 or $2.50 here and $1 a can of Coke.[/QUOTE]

the bbq i was at the other day charged $2 for a can $2.50 for the snag

[quote name='mrs and mrs']Isnt sausage,on/in bread roll called a hot-dog,and sausage on slice of bread just called that.Sausage in bread.[/QUOTE]
Only in Qld, you folk talk different up there. Hot dog has to be a frankfurt in a long soft roll. An ordinary snag in a bread roll is a 'snag in a roll, or in bread 'snag sambo.' That's the way we roll in NSW - The Premier State. LOL.

mrs and mrs....You should be at the Ecka..what a strange name for a show, having a Dagwood Dog, we have those too. Edited by NSWP

[quote name='NSWP']Only in Qld, you folk talk different up there. Hot dog has to be a frankfurt in a long soft roll. An ordinary snag in a bread roll is a 'snag in a roll, or in bread 'snag sambo.' That's the way we roll in NSW - The Premier State. LOL.

mrs and mrs....You should be at the Ecka..what a strange name for a show, having a Dagwood Dog, we have those too.[/QUOTE]

Only a Dagwood if you're at the show, otherwise a Pluto.

[quote name='Bpos']Food, food, glorious food.

Then there are our famous meat pies with all sorts of fillings, anyone for crocodile fillets, kangaroo steaks, roo tail soup, [B][U]mystery bags[/U],[/B] emu on a skewer, whitchetty grubs, bush tucker etc - exotic foods for sure.
/quote]

For the benefit of our overseas visitors, a mystery bag is a sausage, snag whatever and a hot topic for discussion on this thread.

Why is it called a [B]mystery bag [/B]you may well ask?

Well we would like to know the answer to that too!!!

But is it generally believed that the contents of a sausage could be anything (hence the Mystery). indeed some years ago it was reported that sawdust - yes sawdust of all things, was a important ingredient of the sausage.

And to my knowledge sawdust is not even meat!

Goodness me - what next! Edited by Bpos

[quote name='mrs and mrs']Well next is bakery items.
Some of said items are cream-filled.
Please ask if it is fresh cream,otherwise it will be something called Mock-Cream.
A travesty of the highest order.[/QUOTE]

Mrs Gut came home yesterday with a Lamington with fresh cream and a vanilla slice and said which one or half each.

No wonder I love her so much.

[quote name='Bpos'][quote name='Bpos']Food, food, glorious food.

Then there are our famous meat pies with all sorts of fillings, anyone for crocodile fillets, kangaroo steaks, roo tail soup, [B][U]mystery bags[/U],[/B] emu on a skewer, whitchetty grubs, bush tucker etc - exotic foods for sure.
/quote]

For the benefit of our overseas visitors, a mystery bag is a sausage, snag whatever and a hot topic for discussion on this thread.

Why is it called a [B]mystery bag [/B]you may well ask?

Well we would like to know the answer to that too!!!

But is it generally believed that the contents of a sausage could be anything (hence the Mystery). indeed some years ago it was reported that sawdust - yes sawdust of all things, was a important ingredient of the sausage.

And to my knowledge sawdust is not even meat!

Goodness me - what next![/QUOTE]

At one stage it wasn't unusual for butchers to gather up the scraps off the floor to mince up for sausages. And butchers had sawdust in the floor to make clean up easier.

Old uncle used to get so upset about it, as he had been a butcher.

Sad I guess, but never heard of anyone getting crook from eating them.

Well the frankfurters are just luncheon meat,
What the americans call BOLOGNA,i think.
The wording of meat,can be interpreted any which way.:confused:

I think ive seen it called FRITZ,DEVON,BUNG FRITZ,LUNCHEON MEAT. Edited by mrs and mrs

[quote name='GUT2407']Mrs Gut came home yesterday with a Lamington with fresh cream and a vanilla slice and said which one or half each.

No wonder I love her so much.[/quote]
Were they from Darby's? Love their apple turnovers.
I happen to like mock cream (its made from butter and sugar). My mum used to make it. She cooked lots of good stuff (except for tripe or lambs fry) as she was a Sgt cook for the officers mess in the WAAAF during WW2.

[quote name='lyndarra']Were they from Darby's? Love their apple turnovers.
I happen to like mock cream (its made from butter and sugar). My mum used to make it. She cooked lots of good stuff (except for tripe or lambs fry) as she was a Sgt cook for the officers mess in the WAAAF during WW2.[/QUOTE]

Yep Darby's they were out of Apple Turnovers.

I don't mind mock cream on some things, others it must be fresh.

Mock is also good if storage won't be optimal, it keeps better.

[quote name='mrs and mrs']Well the frankfurters are just luncheon meat,
What the americans call BOLOGNA,i think.
The wording of meat,can be interpreted any which way.:confused:

I think ive seen it called FRITZ,DEVON,BUNG FRITZ,LUNCHEON MEAT.[/QUOTE]

:eek:

My German-ancestry DH would be very upset hearing frankfurters referred to as luncheon meat.

Admittedly frankfurts are a pale imitation of a brockwurst (the original frankfurter) but they aren't luncheon meat.

Luncheon meat is a pale imitation of liverwurst and/or mortadella. Bologna is the American version of that.

Don't forget the salami - how many variations of that are there? From mild to blow-your-brains-out spicy.

One thing I've really enjoyed discovering since living in Sydney is the wide variety of European sausages and deli meats. There wasn't a strong European influence in NZ when I lived there so there was much less variety - just the bland Aus/NZ versions of such products.

OK let's straighten things out a bit, in the US a hot dog is the frankfurt, the roll is there to stop you burning your fingers.
Now hot dogs in a roll are something of an art form over there, although artists and gourmets may wish to crucify me for that statement.
Hot dogs on a roll may be accompanied with any or all of the following, depending on how brave you are:-
Ketchup = USA Tomato Sauce not fit for dogs.
Mustard = Bears no resemblance to real mustard except that it is yellow.
Sauerkraut = Sauerkraut, but the quality varies greatly.
Chilli = What we call Chilli con Carne, ie mince with red beans and chillies of varying strengths, as well as some usually unidentifiable substances. The quality of this varies greatly too.

I'm sure there are other additives that can be applied but I've never been hungry/brave enough to explore the possibilities.:D Edited by Russell21