Advice to Overseas Cruisers coming to Australia

Sounds like a dance that a Coke addict would do and coke has been around for centuries if not longer.:p

It was actually at its peak during the Music Hall era, apparently.

It was one of those silly dances that was a good ice-breaker at parties where there is dancing. I can actually remember doing it at my parents 25th wedding anniversary party - I was about 9 at the time.

I think it became a party tradition way back then, and the evenings always finished with Auld Lang Syne.

It was actually at its peak during the Music Hall era, apparently.

It was one of those silly dances that was a good ice-breaker at parties where there is dancing. I can actually remember doing it at my parents 25th wedding anniversary party - I was about 9 at the time.

I think it became a party tradition way back then, and the evenings always finished with Auld Lang Syne.

All these foreign songs from the old country.

I prefer Aussie songs from great Australian bands like Crowded House, Split Enz and Dragon.;)

It is only rabbit proof and dingo resistant, all other creatures can get past.:rolleyes:

the native critters do better when dingos are there they keep the feral cats and foxes at bay but sadly some think otherwise , it has been proven too in docos i have seen

If a tourist is in trouble we have a special squad,ready to deal with problems.

They are easily indentified.

But it can, I have ridden a Roo and an Emu when I was small.

I think I must be one of the few who has had taken both animals from our coat of arms for a ride and eaten them (different animals) as well.;)

That doesn't alter the fact of the name change.

The name morphed from Cokey to Pokey in NZ. It was definitely Hokey Cokey in the 1950s and 1960s. It's possible that people confused the name with the popular ice-cream flavour name and so they ended up the same. Or maybe the Coca Cola company objected to the "Coke" part of the name. Who knows?

The name morphed from Cokey to Pokey in NZ. It was definitely Hokey Cokey in the 1950s and 1960s. It's possible that people confused the name with the popular ice-cream flavour name and so they ended up the same. Or maybe the Coca Cola company objected to the "Coke" part of the name. Who knows?

Well I'm a '44 model myself and we did the dance when I was very young, and I can assure you that in Australia it changed to "Pokey" a lot sooner than you are suggesting, maybe the NZ people were just a bit slow catching up with the rest of the world.

Well I'm a '44 model myself and we did the dance when I was very young, and I can assure you that in Australia it changed to "Pokey" a lot sooner than you are suggesting, maybe the NZ people were just a bit slow catching up with the rest of the world.

Maybe in the 50's- 60's NZers just had as bad a problem correctly pronouncing their consonants as they have today with their vowels. :p:p

I realise Australians have difficulties, but what you are now talking about is the Hokey Tokey.Its a dance.:D

Lyrics

You put your right arm in.

You put your right arm out.

You put your right arm in

and you shake is all about.

You do the Hokey Tokey

and you turn yourself around.

That 's what it 's all about!

CHORUS

Oh Hokey, Hokey Tokey

Oh Hokey, Hokey Tokey

Oh Hokey, Hokey Tokey

And that 's what it 's all about!

You put your left arm in...

CHORUS

You put your right leg in...

CHORUS

You put your left leg in...

CHORUS

You put your whole self in...

CHORUS

And that 's what it 's all about! Yeah!

I realise Australians have difficulties, but what you are now talking about is the Hokey Tokey.Its a dance.:D

Lyrics

You do the Hokey Tokey

CHORUS

Oh Hokey, Hokey Tokey

Oh Hokey, Hokey Tokey

Oh Hokey, Hokey Tokey

CHORUS

CHORUS

CHORUS

CHORUS

Really? Is it? Well I'll be damned, aren't we lucky to have someone so intelligent that they can tell us it's a dance, and they still can't get the name correct. But then again they are a Kiwi, or maybe they were having a bit of Smokey Tokey.

Edited by Russell21

Lyrics

You do the Hokey Tokey

CHORUS

Oh Hokey, Hokey Tokey

Oh Hokey, Hokey Tokey

Oh Hokey, Hokey Tokey

CHORUS

CHORUS

CHORUS

CHORUS

Same song same dance but was Hokey Pokey all my life.

Really? Is it? Well I'll be damned, aren't we lucky to have someone so intelligent that they can tell us it's a dance, and they still can't get the name correct. But then again they are a Kiwi, or maybe they were having a bit of Smokey Tokey.

More than happy to help our Ozzie mates out anytime.:D:D

Its always best to get things right.;)

It could also have been different in different parts of NZ. That was quite common until the advent of TV, which didn't arrive in NZ until around 1960.

Anyway, Hokey Cokey, Hokey Tokey, Hokey Pokey - who cares, as long as they don't put hokey cokey or hokey tokey in the ice-cream. :D

Edited by OzKiwiJJ