What are your biggest cruise pet peeves?

Panda3

Your latest post indicates that you have an idea of what a buffet station looks like - but my question really was if you knew what they were used for.

Buffet - means self-serve, and a buffet station is where food is placed so people can serve themselves. If you don't like the concept, stay away from buffets - because people serving themselves is what they are all about.

What non-tableside food service is called is really not the issue.

Whether a buffet or a cafeteria or a luau or a college dining hall or a wedding reception meal or a ship's casual grill/room/etc., it is the practice of self-service (and it's consequences) that is the issue.

The unsafe and otherwise gross actions of untrained "food service personnel" (e.g., self-serving cruise ship passengers) as catalysts for all sorts of communicable sicknesses is well-documented.

A cruise line could easily switch to staffed service stations and still provide the amount and variety of food a passenger would want in line with whatever may be their traditional limitations. (And. As you know, some already do)

Finally, if names are that important, just call it "la caffetteria" or (with apologies to the Beverly Hillbillies) "the not-so-fancy eatin' room."

I agree with much of what has already been posted. The uncontrolled kids are not only a nuisance, but a risk to themselves and others. One of my pet peeves are the ship's photographers. I don't want a picture of myself pigging out at every meal. Maybe they need some kind of signal that you want a picture or don't.

My second pet peeve is passenger related -- Karaoke bar "wanna be stars." Those that think they're going to be the next Faith Hill or Madonna (yes, I'm showing my age), and put their name on the list over and over again. For goodness sake, it's supposed to be fun for everybody, not your audition for American Idol.

1 roll aboard and 1 carryon. Laundry = 1 load when I get home after a 7 day cruise. Easy.

What size is that roller??? is your carryon a full 22" model??

7 days = 7 different jackets

This plus your clothes…

Let me guess: the roller is just your 7 jackets the carryon has the rest of your clothes that only take 1 load to launder...

Need photos...

I also have to comment on #2. How long does it really take to get your food? Not long for me, maybe 5 minutes max and then DH goes. Like a previous poster mentioned if we have gotten a large table and someone can't find a seat, we always say they are welcome to join us. There may be folks who take a really long time to get their food, but I really don't think that is generally true and the "time wasted" as you put it is really not much time at all. :)
There's my peeve. People who take forever deciding what to eat and holding up the line. It would be rude for me to barge ahead of them, but it would be polite for them to say, "Please go ahead."

There's my peeve. People who take forever deciding what to eat and holding up the line. It would be rude for me to barge ahead of them, but it would be polite for them to say, "Please go ahead."

Or just people who are moving really incredibly slo... w... ly...

Just MOVE! I'm only here for a week, I can't spend my time doddering around behind you.

What size is that roller??? is your carryon a full 22" model??

7 days = 7 different jackets

This plus your clothes…

Let me guess: the roller is just your 7 jackets the carryon has the rest of your clothes that only take 1 load to launder...

Need photos...

Do you think all 7 jackets would fit in that roller? Remember --- they must be rather thick as they are made of several layers of fabric - which makes the hems so useful in avoiding contamination.

I agree with much of what has already been posted. The uncontrolled kids are not only a nuisance, but a risk to themselves and others. One of my pet peeves are the ship's photographers. I don't want a picture of myself pigging out at every meal. Maybe they need some kind of signal that you want a picture or don't.

My second pet peeve is passenger related -- Karaoke bar "wanna be stars." Those that think they're going to be the next Faith Hill or Madonna (yes, I'm showing my age), and put their name on the list over and over again. For goodness sake, it's supposed to be fun for everybody, not your audition for American Idol.

I give them this signal, at dinner, when boarding, anytime. Polite smile and no thank you.

Do you think all 7 jackets would fit in that roller? Remember --- they must be rather thick as they are made of several layers of fabric - which makes the hems so useful in avoiding contamination.

Depends on the size of the "roll aboard": I have an old 29" roller that has been relegated to storing winter clothes in the off-season. I can see getting 7 jackets and shoes easily in there and rolling it onto the ship. But, all of that in two 22" rolling bags - nah… that's why I said pictures needed;)

Edited by slidergirl

It's got to be the many drunks, loud, obnoxious, act like they own the place. I am afraid all the drink packages are lowering the level of the sophistication you felt on a cruise not too long ago. I'm sure some of us long for the old golden days of the cruise experience, I think cruise lines are competing with all inclusive beach locations, like sandals, so you drink and the food, it's not so good or the service but your a little tipsy so you don't mind.

It's got to be the many drunks, loud, obnoxious, act like they own the place. I am afraid all the drink packages are lowering the level of the sophistication you felt on a cruise not too long ago. I'm sure some of us long for the old golden days of the cruise experience, I think cruise lines are competing with all inclusive beach locations, like sandals, so you drink and the food, it's not so good or the service but your a little tipsy so you don't mind.

Right - this development has the potential of converting many an itinerary into a booze cruise.

It's got to be the many drunks, loud, obnoxious, act like they own the place. I am afraid all the drink packages are lowering the level of the sophistication you felt on a cruise not too long ago.

Drink packages don't make drunks. No drink package makes you a jerk or a falling down drunkard. Not everyone can handle their alcohol and some can become obnoxious and/or drunk on a single drink. Some can drink many drinks a night and you wouldn't know they had any. Some are happy drunks some are not. My SIL can have 3 drinks and be falling down drunk (she stops at two though). I can have 10 and you wouldn't know it. Metabolism, your body and a bunch of other things decide this for you.

I got the drink package last cruise. I could literally sit and go down the menu and order every drink on the menu in that alcohol. Then get up and walk away without anyone knowing how much I drank. NOW, taking the pain medication I'm on, I can have two drinks and have a totally different experience. My other SIL can have a few drinks and is a "best friend" and "I love you" and needs to take a nap before dinner drinker.

Drink packages make it easier for people to order more then they normally would. That's it. Maybe I would have only ordered two or three a day without the package but there is no way you, in talking to me or by my actions, would know I had just had six drinks.

I will agree with you in not liking the obnoxious drunks though. They just aren't necessarily connected to the drink packages.

Why not just politely ask "Do you mind if I just slip past while you decide?"

Not really that hard.

Drink packages don't make drunks. No drink package makes you a jerk or a falling down drunkard. Not everyone can handle their alcohol and some can become obnoxious and/or drunk on a single drink. Some can drink many drinks a night and you wouldn't know they had any. Some are happy drunks some are not. My SIL can have 3 drinks and be falling down drunk (she stops at two though). I can have 10 and you wouldn't know it. Metabolism, your body and a bunch of other things decide this for you.

I got the drink package last cruise. I could literally sit and go down the menu and order every drink on the menu in that alcohol. Then get up and walk away without anyone knowing how much I drank. NOW, taking the pain medication I'm on, I can have two drinks and have a totally different experience. My other SIL can have a few drinks and is a "best friend" and "I love you" and needs to take a nap before dinner drinker.

Drink packages make it easier for people to order more then they normally would. That's it. Maybe I would have only ordered two or three a day without the package but there is no way you, in talking to me or by my actions, would know I had just had six drinks.

I will agree with you in not liking the obnoxious drunks though. They just aren't necessarily connected to the drink packages.

I don't think I've seen more than a handful of drunks on all my cruises, and I sail Australian waters where we have a bit of a reputation.

But then I also tend to do longer cruises and consider a week to be a bit of a sampler.

Not really that hard.

Again, this is much harder for some of us than it apparently is for you. Some of us would rather stand quietly and wait than to risk being berated by an angry stranger. It still annoys us, but we won't necessarily say anything about it.

Not really that hard.

That's what I do. On our last cruise there was an older lady who was pissed because a smaller child came back to get a single item. Obviously she had missed it and had no intention of going back through the line, she just wanted a piece of bacon. Rude loud comment to everyone about the child. This same old lady goes through the line and TWICE cuts in front of people and does the same thing.

While I never said anything directly to her, I did turn to the lady behind me (who had also witnessed her actions) and said loudly (in case the lady was hard of hearing) "Man, I really hate it when people cut in line, don't you". I don't think she got it, but it was sure interesting to see her doing exactly what she complained about others doing. She cut in front of another line as well. Hold me back people!

Edited by notentirelynormal

Again, this is much harder for some of us than it apparently is for you. Some of us would rather stand quietly and wait than to risk being berated by an angry stranger. It still annoys us, but we won't necessarily say anything about it.

I get that it is hard for you to do this. Stop thinking about it as being rude and just think of it as being politely curious if the person minds. If the rude person berates you then hopefully someone with more nerve will step in and back you up. Chances are though, once someone like that is called into check they walk away without another word.

Not really that hard.

Most "buffets" are now more like "food stations". I don't see a railing keeping people in line.

Therefore, I will move into the passing lane and go around someone who is picking olives one at a time to put on their salad if I didn't intend to get a salad. Especially if there is lots of clear space ahead.

So, it looks like I will remain as the cause of some of the pet peeves here as we will:

Pass people at the food station who are holding up the line needlessly and move on to open areas beyond.

One of us will secure a table while the other gets food so we don't stand there letting our food get cold while searching for a table.

And to top it all off, we are old and Diamond +:D

Edited by cruzincurt

Most "buffets" are now more like "food stations". I don't see a railing keeping people in line.

Therefore, I will move into the passing lane and go around someone who is picking olives one at a time to put on their salad if I didn't intend to get a salad. Especially if there is lots of clear space ahead.

So, it looks like I will remain as the cause of some of the pet peeves here as we will:

Pass people at the food station who are holding up the line needlessly and move on to open areas beyond.

One of us will secure a table while the other gets food so we don't stand there letting our food get cold while searching for a table.

And to top it all off, we are old and Diamond +:D

Yep I don't see the issue, I do ask (normally as I go past them).

I dislike the ones that move against the flow,or come back and push in.I politely stand aside and say please go,help yourself,you look starving.Normally they have a platter full of food and are about 30 stone.Most times they are so rude the comment goes right over their heads.:eek:

Seems to me that just having a few tissues in a pocket would be so much easier than fumbling for a jacket hem each time. Wouldn't have to take seven jackets. :D