What are your biggest cruise pet peeves?

Panda3

And yet in another thread someone else criticized me for sitting through a show on the Radiance which was absolutely horrid - I still shudder to think about it. (Do NOT waste your time on "City of Dreams" ever! And if the cruise director introduces something by saying "It might make sense if you've been drinking..." run from the theatre before it starts.)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

But here on CC someone will criticise you for pretty much anything.

Basically what everyone is saying us there seems to a lack of courtesy, used to be called common courtesy, but not so common any more. Also "it's all about me" society.

Let's pay it forward in a nice way and make sure our manners are on display for everyone.

I often thank people who are pushing into the lift (elevator) when I am trying to get out.

Thank you so much for allowing me to exit and make room for you. My family thinks I'm a cynical old lady but but I say let me have my fun.

Smoking is not allowed on balconies. Report them and they will be fined. If it continues, they will be put off the ship.

HAL does allow smoking on the balcony.

My pet peeves are chair hogs at the pool, people talking loudly on walkie talkies,

unsupervised children misbehaving, people touching food in buffet -- but none of these ruins my cruise.

Let's see, I have a few:

People in the buffet using their hands, when there are tongs or serving utensils right in front of them. BTW, yes I'm the one who calls over a server right after you do that (hopefully you are embarrassed) and tells them you touched the food, making them take it all away.

Folks that sit in the buffet during prime lunch hours playing cards, while others are carrying their food trying to find a place to sit and eat their lunch. Are you that oblivious or just that uncaring and rude?

Ladies that leave the restroom without washing their hands...gross.

Passengers who are rude to staff or treat them like lesser people.

People that forget to use the words, please, thank you, excuse me, do you mind if I just grab a roll (while cutting in line), etc. I never understand why some folks' manners are left at the pier.

Chair hogs who have to save chairs in the sun and the same amount of chairs in the shade.

Three little words: SELF ABSORBED SWINE.

Those people who only care about what they want at any particular time, and to hell with other people:

They manifest their dismal condition in a number of ways- they are chair hogs, they have badly brought up children whom they fail to supervise, they smoke in non-smoking areas, they push ahead of others into elevators and food lines, they occupy tables in cafeterias long after finishing meals just reading (or simply sitting) while others are carrying trays looking for a spot, they save multiple seats in theatres for late arriving friends, they are discourteous to stewards and waiters, they reach with their hands into food containers in the cafeteria, they relieve themselves (presumably) in bathrooms and fail to wash their hands - sharing whatever virus/bacteria they happen to harbor on their hands which are as filthy as their attitudes -- in general, they only care about what they are capable of understanding - which, sadly, is very, very little.

• Haha 1

What is interesting to observe in reading this thread is that many posters with very reasonable concerns over multiple incidents of gross and/or rude behavior keep returning to the same cruise line.

In particular (given the reality of communicable diseases that prey on large populations in compact spaces), the significant number of slobs whose filthy behaviors contaminate self-serve buffet food should be enough to have offended/infected cruisers looking at alternative cruise lines where passengers would never be allowed to serve themselves in even the most casual of dining venues.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

What is interesting to observe in reading this thread is that many posters with very reasonable concerns over multiple incidents of gross and/or rude behavior keep returning to the same cruise line.

In particular (given the reality of communicable diseases that prey on large populations in compact spaces), the significant number of slobs whose filthy behaviors contaminate self-serve buffet food should be enough to have offended/infected cruisers looking at alternative cruise lines where passengers would never be allowed to serve themselves in even the most casual of dining venues.

I witnessed the no hand washing/refusing hand sanitizer on Princess (and caught noro on our first Princess cruise) and HAL. Rude behavior and abusing staff on both. I don't know that changing cruise lines would make a difference, honestly. At least not within our price range.

I don't think people are leaving their manners at the pier, I think lots just don't have any

People who stand in front of an arriving elevator and expect departees to move away so they can enter.

People who sit on the stairs and expect stairgoers to step around or over them because they are too lazy to stand clear.

People who are still wizzing and moaning about a cold waffle at breakfast when you pass them in the dining room at dinner and you realize that their saliva might actually be amber.

People who think their little kid who is two hours past his bedtime should be in a dining room or showroom because Mom and Dad don't care about ruining many people's evenings.

People in bathroom stalls who are making sounds like the Love Boat entering the harbor and then leaving that room with washing their hands and heading straight to the buffet to share their nastiness with lots of unsuspecting folks who don't to get sick.

Edited by luddite
  • Like 1

Elderly people shoving and hitting people with their canes, walkers, or scooters to get to their destination. I will gladly let you enter the elevators first ( when I see you) so please don't shove me out of the way with your walking device...my parents did teach me respect.

1) people who drone on and on at dinner in the MDR about their super-secret diamond status and how all the crew loves them so much that they all have the autographed photo of said guest hung on their cabin wall…

2) people who act as if this is their last meal on Earth and load up their buffet plate to the absolute limit. Gluttony at it's worst and is nauseates me.

3) clueless and stupid people who stand in a transit area, jamming it up. ( that one is a peeve of mine anywhere)

As an addition, as someone who is frequently on the receiving end of rude and verbally abusive comments from the self-entitled twits I "serve" at the hotel, thank you to those who have apologized for another's poor behavior. It wears on us, emotionally and eventually, physically. It really is nice to have someone tell us they were sorry we were abused that way.

Edited by slidergirl

I often thank people who are pushing into the lift (elevator) when I am trying to get out.

Thank you so much for allowing me to exit and make room for you. My family thinks I'm a cynical old lady but but I say let me have my fun.

I share this fun, many different opportunities to thank people who clearly should have thanked you. The game has its roots in morning commuting fun, and includes not quite swerving enough to avoid folk who are not looking where they are going.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Musicians that are painfully loud.

On our recent Golden Princess cruise there was one band that played in the Explorer's Bar most nights, around 10pm onwards. They were so loud they drowned out the comedian/pianist in Crooners at times.

They were a really good band, played great dance music, but most of the time I couldn't enjoy their music as it hurt my ears. Bummer! :(

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

I didn't want to add to the "poor etiquette" string and I'm sure there are other strings out there but just wanted to hopefully start a fun thread and maybe it will bring awareness to any offenders.

What are your pet peeves, things that will spoil your own cruise. From minor annoyances to biggies?

I'll start with my two main annoying things. Note: I don't let them win and spoil my cruise, it's just annoying.

1. Chair hogs - Folks that get up early put their towels and an inexpensive personal item (flip flop) on multiple lounger near the pool. (my sister does this and I won't travel with her anymore, so rude). The flip side, Crew that won't do or say anything about it.

2. Rushing into the elevator before people have exited (and going in before elderly/disabled folks)

You nailed my top two pet peeves!