What are your biggest cruise pet peeves?

Panda3

I am sure the lady washes her hands frequently, as this is one of her pet peeves and calls out the one's that don't in the ladies room. Even if she did carry her own....is she supposed to stand near the Purell pump, pull out hers and spray so that everyone see's it? :confused: Just saying.

I carry a tiny Bath & Body Works hand sanitizer to use after we've finished handling the menu. We haven't always been this OCD, but as we get older and have less efficient immune systems, we think it's worth it to minimize the chance of illness.

About 40 of us took a cruise several years ago (our first cruise not on Royal Caribbean since 1980 - we wanted to go to Bermuda from Florida and RCI didn't have sailings from Florida to Bermuda until the next year), and eight of us came home sick. I didn't get better for a couple of months, many tests to identify the bacteria, several antibiotics and Prednisone. This left me with scarring in my lungs, which affects my life every day, so I feel we need to take extra precautions.

BTW, from what our TA was told, there were no reports of illness on that ship, but a good friend who lives in Bermuda told me it was well known there. We had noticed a lack of good hygiene on the part of servers, ineffective sneeze guards, no washy washy person, and other questionable practices. We were later told the line had just launched a new ship and had taken too many of the experienced staff from our ship. We can't just wrap ourselves in cotton batting, but we do now take precautions and we stick to Royal.

Yes, Yes, Yes to the ones you listed. I'm ashamed to admit, though, as I read the comments on getting a table in the WJ and having half my family go get food while the other half saves the table, that we were guilty of this on our recent cruise. In hindsight it makes perfect sense why this is a "pet peeve" move. Forgive me!

I am inclined to feel that getting food in shifts makes sense when there are few available tables - particularly when you have four or more people together. They do not have the option of joining people already at a table, and if there is no table available to them, they have to hold their loaded plates and stand hovering over others waiting for them to finish. They will show more courtesy to their fellow passengers by having some hold the table while others get food - and then not dawdle -- making their table available to others as soon as possible.

I am sorry that this annoys some -- but the alternative: lurking over people , while they finish eating - holding loaded plates- is surely a more annoying action.

One of my peeves is people who need to yell, and talk loud, so no one else can hear what's going on, in lounges & bars,:eek:

Cato :)

Completed Cruises !

Pre-cruise Days - The Big Red Boat, 1993 ??

1st cruise - Coral Princess, 19 November 2008, 10 day Panama Canal, FLL to ACA

2nd cruise - Coral Princess, 15 May 2009, 3 day Repositioning, Los Angeles to Vancouver.

3rd cruise - Sapphire Princess, 25 November 2009? 7 day Mexican Riviera.

4th cruise - Golden Princes, 12 June 2010, 7 day Alaska. (Golden Anniversary Cruise)

5th Cruise - Island Princess, 04 October 2010, Vancouver - Los Angeles, Repositioning

6th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 05 January 2011, 10 day Mexican Riviera. LA to LA.

7th cruise - Golden Princess, 11 May 2011, 3 day, LA to Vancouver, Repositioning

8th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 14 May 2011, 1 day, Vancouver to Seattle, Repositioning

9th cruise - Coral Princess 19 May 2011 2 day, San Francisco to Vancouver, Repositioning

10th & 11th cruises - Coral Princess 02 July to 16 July 2011, round trip Vancouver - Whittier Alaska, B2B

12th & 13th cruises - Sapphire Princess, x2, Cabins, 18 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning

14th & 15th cruises - Golden Princess, x2, Cabins, 24 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning.

We have now reached Elite status with Princess Cruise Lines

16th cruise - Oasis of the Seas, 26 Nov. 2011, 7 day, Western Caribbean, Ft. Lauderdale, Ret.

17th & 18th cruises - Crown Princess B2B, 03 - 10 Dec & 10 - 17 Dec 2011, 14 Days, South & western Caribbean

19th cruise - Grand Princess, 31 Mar. - 07 April 2012, 7 Days, Eastern Caribbean, FLL - FLL

20th cruise - Island Princess, 06-16 June 2012, 10 day cruisetour Vancouver - Wittier

21th cruise - Emerald Princess, 16 day, 10 - 26 Sep. 2012, TA, Copenhagen - New York

22nd cruise - Carnival Ecstasy 10 - 14 January, 2013, 4 Day Bahamas, Port Canaveral Ret.

23rd cruise - Sapphire Princess 30 March - 06 April, 2013, 7 Day Coastal LA - LA

24th cruise - Coral Princess, 19 May - 22 May, 2013, 3 Day Repositioning Cruise, LA - Vancouver

25th cruise - Royal Princess 16 June - 05 July, 2013, 19 Day Inaugural cruise, Southampton - Venice.

26th cruise - Emerald Princess, 06 - 16 October, 2013, 10 Day Canada - New England, Quebec city to New York

27th cruise - Royal Princess, 24 November - 01 December, 2013, 7 Day,Eastern Caribbean, Fort Lauderdale Ret.

28th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 20 - 24 Jan, 2014, 4 Days, California

29th cruise - Crown Princess, 03 - 10 May 2014, 7 Day, LA to Vancouver.

30th cruise - Pacific Princess, 05 - 12 Aug. 2014, 7 Days, Vancouver RT, Alaska

31st cruise - Golden Princess, 13 - 17 Oct. 2014, 4 Days, LA - Mexican Riv, RT,

32nd cruise - Crown Princess, 20 - 27 Dec. 2014, 7 Days, LA - Mexican Riv, RT.

33rd cruise - Coral Princess, 27Apr. - 02 May.2015, 5 Days, LA - Vancouver, Repo

34th cruise - Coral Princess, 10 - 14 May. 2016, 4 Days, LA - Vancouver, Repo

Some of us actually wash their hands and are allergic to that crap they spray on our hands so we don't use it. Also, it does not protect you from noro.

But unfortunately many people don't wash their hands and yet would say the same sort of thing as you. "I'm allergic...", "I don't want to put those chemicals on my skin", "I didn't touch anything while I was in the bathroom ", etc, whilst all the time spreading bacteria to unsuspecting guests who just want a nice holiday.

My husband had to spend 3 days out of a 7 day Med cruise confined to the cabin courtesy of someone with poor hygiene practices.

I wish the cruise lines would have sinks at the entrance to the buffet so you could choose whether to wash you hands or use the Purell, I would be one of those choosing soap and water but until that day......

Oh and BTW according to an article on NBC "most people don’t wash their hands properly, either -- it takes about 30 seconds of vigorous rubbing using hot water and soap to wash away the tiny bits of virus, and that means getting under the nails, too"

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Edited by SpainAlien

But unfortunately many people don't wash their hands and yet would say the same sort of thing as you. "I'm allergic...", "I don't want to put those chemicals on my skin", "I didn't touch anything while I was in the bathroom ", etc, whilst all the time spreading bacteria to unsuspecting guests who just want a nice holiday.

My husband had to spend 3 days out of a 7 day Med cruise confined to the cabin courtesy of someone with poor hygiene practices.

I wish the cruise lines would have sinks at the entrance to the buffet so you could choose whether to wash you hands or use the Purell, I would be one of those choosing soap and water but until that day......

Oh and BTW according to an article on NBC "most people don’t wash their hands properly, either -- it takes about 30 seconds of vigorous rubbing using hot water and soap to wash away the tiny bits of virus, and that means getting under the nails, too"

FYI......temperature of the water has nothing to do with it. You can wash your hands with ice cold water if you so choose and has the same out come.:)

FYI......temperature of the water has nothing to do with it. You can wash your hands with ice cold water if you so choose and has the same out come.:)

While the vigorous rubbing, with the use of soap, is the primary cleansing effect, the fact that hot water IS somewhat more effective than cold water as a solvent. Additionally, as humans prefer comfort to discomfort, very few would keep their hands in ice cold water long enough to do the job - so temperature of the water does have something to do with it.

Wow! Unbelievable admission that the dog is not a service dog and apparently has cruised 5 times.

It may be an "emotional support animal." There's a lady in Arkansas who has an emotional support skunk and shops with it at Walmart. I wonder if she will ever bring it on a cruise?

Some of us actually wash their hands and are allergic to that crap they spray on our hands so we don't use it. Also, it does not protect you from noro.

I agree. I don't like the hand sanitizer, so I wash my hands in my cabin with soap and hot water, then I open the door using a piece of fabric - usually my jacket hem and don't touch the elevator buttons or stairway railings with my hand - I use the hem of my jacket instead. I make a conscious effort NOT to touch anything on the way to the dining venue. This way, I arrive with clean hands.

But I must disagree with some of you on the "washy washy" thing. I ALWAYS wash with soap and water before I go to the buffet. I have no need to put alcohol on my hands after that. I do not need to be accosted as I enter the buffet. I certainly do not need to be chased down and embarrassed because I refuse the hand sanitizer. Some of us have skin that does not react well to those ingredients, but it does not mean that we do not practice good hygiene.

I hate that sanitizer crap. So much comes out of the “squirt” that I end up wiping my hands on my pants to get rid of it so my hands aren’t slimy. Fix the machine or accept that I will happily wash my hands before entering.

ahhh just remembered another one.......This happened on my last cruise, on the oasis of the seas. Daily, there was a man who would come to the solarium sanctuary area, get a lounge (that he had saved by chair hogging) He brought his own boombox. daily.... well..today's version, an ipod and speakers. He would very loudly play latin caribbean music. I was always near him because i was in the covered solarium area of the oasis of the seas where people (like me) read books. His music was so loud, why not use headphones?!

I would first ask him to turn it down. If he did not I have zero problem with standing next to him and yelling at the top of my voice “how many people wish this guy would turn down his music so you ALL could enjoy your day? Raise your hand”.

#1 Groups of people traveling together that must spend every waking minute together, wherever they go. Especially when they reserve seats in the theater then their companions show up after the show is started.

While I don’t agree with people saving rows of seats, I don’t get why you care who travels with who. Fifty people traveling together and fifty people traveling alone should have no bearing on your day.

Someone earlier complained about those of us that secure a table then take turns getting our food. That's so we don't have food getting cold while looking for a table. What difference does that make, you have to find a table anyway.

I too see nothing wrong with people getting a table then getting their food. Especially if you are traveling with young children, elderly or someone else that needs assistance. I often travel with family and friends and since we don’t sleep in the same cabin meeting up at breakfast happens often. So we get our table and friends/family come and go.

Poor hygiene gets me every time ... And if your in the bathroom and I see you leaving without washing your hands I will say something to you and I won't be nice !!!

My other pet peeve is the people who stare ... I noticed this a lot on our last cruise. People openly staring for some unknown reason ... If you going to gawp at someone at least put some shades on so they can't tell

Umm, if you "say something and I won't be nice" expect that it will get ugly between us. Who the &^* do you think you are? They will have to break us up. I mean, while hands should be washed you are not my keeper or my boss. Saying something politely is really out of line as far as I'm concerned but by your own words you will obnoxiously tell a stranger how to run their life.

I'm guessing the reason you saw a lot of people who stare at you is because that is their way of silently telling you they think you are overbearing, rude and obnoxious. They are probably making no effort to cover their contempt for you because of your rude actions towards others. Let's face it. You have told us that you act rudely to others and then wonder why people stare at you.

I'm ashamed to admit, though, as I read the comments on getting a table in the WJ and having half my family go get food while the other half saves the table, that we were guilty of this on our recent cruise. In hindsight it makes perfect sense why this is a "pet peeve" move. Forgive me!

There is zero reason for you to apologize. You are entitled to get a table for the family while they get there food. No one is suddenly going to jump up when they see your family coming to give you your table. The questionable behavior is those that see people waiting, are done eating or are doing something other then eating and yet don’t get their butts out of the chair for those that actually have food to be able to eat.

I wash my hands before entering the buffet. I hate the crap that drowns my hands in solution so that if I want to take my plate, knife and fork I must then wipe my hands all over my dirty jeans or wait 5 minutes for it to dry while holding up the line. Fix your machines!

I'll move them out of the way for you.

Last cruise, I was waiting for an elevator with several ...older people...waiting ahead of me. A youngish couple of fools come around the corner jut as the doors opened and the headed to ward it working to get past everyone who was waiting...

I'm still pretty quick and stepped in front of them and waved the older guys into the elevator. The fools discovered there wasn't enough room after those who were ahead of them got onto the elevator.

It is Amazing to see the inconsiderate actions of the able-bodied fools near an elevator when someone who is rolling is there needing the elevator.

Rudeness abounds.

I too will hurry and get to the elevator doors. I make sure I get the door open and stand blocking everyone so that those that need room for their scooters or those slow walkers that need time to get there. I also have no problem with stating loudly, you take your time sweetheart. Those that can walk don’t mind waiting for you to go ahead. We all know you are running. If they still try to get on ahead, telling them that others were ahead of them will also be said. Their rudeness will depend on my loudness.

I agree. I don't like the hand sanitizer, so I wash my hands in my cabin with soap and hot water, then I open the door using a piece of fabric - usually my jacket hem and don't touch the elevator buttons or stairway railings with my hand - I use the hem of my jacket instead. I make a conscious effort NOT to touch anything on the way to the dining venue. This way, I arrive with clean hands.

...having only touched everything your jacket hem might have touched or rubbed against since the last time it was cleaned.

Again, the easiest solution is to eliminate self-service in buffets.

This one's an odd one, and I think we only had it happen on one ship. It happened several times, but I think it was only on the one ship. Picture this: full elevator. Several people continue to cram their way in, "Oh, there's room for us." The elevator goes into overload mode and won't move. The last arrivals - the "crammers" if you will - stand there in immovable, cluelessness. Okay folks, we're not going anywhere until this load gets lightened. You all were the last ones on. Get off, for Pete's sake before the cables break and we all plummet to our deaths! (Yeah, I know that's not going to happen. Just a little drama here.)

This one's an odd one, and I think we only had it happen on one ship. It happened several times, but I think it was only on the one ship. Picture this: full elevator. Several people continue to cram their way in, "Oh, there's room for us." The elevator goes into overload mode and won't move. The last arrivals - the "crammers" if you will - stand there in immovable, cluelessness. Okay folks, we're not going anywhere until this load gets lightened. You all were the last ones on. Get off, for Pete's sake before the cables break and we all plummet to our deaths! (Yeah, I know that's not going to happen. Just a little drama here.)

Turn your back to them and as you back them out, say " Hey, stop pushing back there!"

Again, the easiest solution is to eliminate self-service in buffets.

Well, maybe if you keep repeating it over and over it will happen. :rolleyes:

WE have no control over this - and I don't see it happening on most of the cruise lines any time soon.

On one of the last ships we were on, either the Veendam or the Star, they actually had a hand wash station at each entrance to the Lido.

You stick your hands in, they get doused with water and probably some type of mild disinfectant, rinsed, then they are dried by an air knife as you pull your hands out. Took about 15 seconds for the entire process. We used it every time we came into the Lido.

Well, maybe if you keep repeating it over and over it will happen. :rolleyes:

WE have no control over this - and I don't see it happening on most of the cruise lines any time soon.

On one recent HAL ship, there was no self service for the first couple of days. I guess the thinking is that at mid-week if you catch something you'll be back home before it hits.:rolleyes:

Edited by cruzincurt

On one recent HAL ship, there was no self service for the first couple of days. I guess the thinking is that at mid-week if you catch something you'll be back home before it hits.:rolleyes:

If they were serving in the buffet it means they were cleaning up from a Noro outbreak.

While the vigorous rubbing, with the use of soap, is the primary cleansing effect, the fact that hot water IS somewhat more effective than cold water as a solvent. Additionally, as humans prefer comfort to discomfort, very few would keep their hands in ice cold water long enough to do the job - so temperature of the water does have something to do with it.

Sorry...I am not here to argue...but you are wrong. I am not suggesting anyone washes their hands in ice cold water...brrrr.....I am stating that there is no difference in the two. You would have to have the water scolding for it to kill certain bacteria's. The method is in amount of time, vigorous and drying..not the temp of the water.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/energy/2013/12/131213-washing-hands-hot-water-wastes-energy-health/ There are tons of articles on the subject and they all say the same. I am not an expert, but I did learn this in nursing school.

Plus...everyone with the whole Purell thing...I hate it too...and it does NOT kill the Noro Virus either. I wash my hands before AND after touching a patient. Very rarely, do I use Purell.

For the people that suggest that the buffet should no longer be "self serve"...I agree. On the Celebrity Summit, there was an outbreak and for the duration of our cruise...EVERYTHING had to be served to us. Soooo much more efficient and safe. The line moved so quickly. Loved it.

Edited by champagne123
ffffff

...having only touched everything your jacket hem might have touched or rubbed against since the last time it was cleaned.

Except I only touch things with the inside of my jacket hem - the outside remains clean. So basically, my hands ARE completely protected from contamination by 2 - 3 layers of fabric depending on how large the hem of the jacket is. AND...I always wear a different jacket each day - a clean one. I can tell this works as I have not gotten sick on a cruise with a contagious illness since I started doing this about 18 years ago.

For the people that suggest that the buffet should no longer be "self serve"...I agree. On the Celebrity Summit, there was an outbreak and for the duration of our cruise...EVERYTHING had to be served to us. Soooo much more efficient and safe. The line moved so quickly. Loved it.

I agree with you 100%. The buffets should not be self serve on any ship. In fact, I won't eat anything from a buffet station that is self serve for all the reasons listed here.

My other pet peeve is the smoking in the casino. It's disgusting and really limits how much time I can spend in there. Cruise lines need to realize that having someone like me who plays slots at the top amount consistently is better than having 5 - 20 smokers in there playing at the lowest level on the machine. I just don't get why cruise lines don't understand that they are chasing away valuable players when they allow smoking in their casinos and that their policy - you can smoke but you must be playing - only results in the lowest bets ($ .01 per line) in most cases until they are done with their cigarettes.

If they were serving in the buffet it means they were cleaning up from a Noro outbreak.

Not so.

This is policy on most if not all, HAL ships, for the first few days.

Their thinking (correctly so) is that people bring sicknesses on board with them, and the few days will reduce the contagious nature of Noro.

Seems to work, they have very low instances.

Not so.

This is policy on most if not all, HAL ships, for the first few days.

Their thinking (correctly so) is that people bring sicknesses on board with them, and the few days will reduce the contagious nature of Noro.

Seems to work, they have very low instances.

Huh. News to me.

Sorry...I am not here to argue...but you are wrong. I am not suggesting anyone washes their hands in ice cold water...brrrr.....I am stating that there is no difference in the two. You would have to have the water scolding for it to kill certain bacteria's. The method is in amount of time, vigorous and drying..not the temp of the water.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/energy/2013/12/131213-washing-hands-hot-water-wastes-energy-health/ There are tons of articles on the subject and they all say the same. I am not an expert, but I did learn this in nursing school.

You clearly ARE here to argue -- my post to which you object merely took issue with your earlier statement to the effect that there was "no difference" between washing your hands in hot water or "ice cold water".

I never said that the water temperature kills bacteria (or, to be on point: virus) I simply pointed out the facts that warm water acts as a slightly better solvent than cold water (which solvent effect -enhanced by soap is what cleans hands) and added that warm water allows people to take the time necessary to do the job -- whereas the "ice cold water" to which you referred would result in people rushing the uncomfortable process of washing in "ice cold water" and almost certainly diminishing the time - and therefore the effectiveness of the washing process.

Ergo: there IS a difference between washing ones hand in warm water and doing it in "ice cold water".

I do not question your training in nursing school - merely you misquoting others - and taking remarks out of context.

Except I only touch things with the inside of my jacket hem - the outside remains clean. So basically, my hands ARE completely protected from contamination by 2 - 3 layers of fabric depending on how large the hem of the jacket is. AND...I always wear a different jacket each day - a clean one. I can tell this works as I have not gotten sick on a cruise with a contagious illness since I started doing this about 18 years ago.

Wow - a different - and clean - jacket every day. I am impressed - and have to wonder about your laundry and dry cleaning bills --- which must also cover your skirts and/or slacks - which must come in contact with the "inside of ... jacket hem".

I hope CDC takes notice of this initiative.

Wow - a different - and clean - jacket every day. I am impressed - and have to wonder about your laundry and dry cleaning bills --- which must also cover your skirts and/or slacks - which must come in contact with the "inside of ... jacket hem".

I hope CDC takes notice of this initiative.

I want to know how much luggage is involved...:eek: