What are your biggest cruise pet peeves?

Panda3

Simple enough. Don't cruise again with NCL. Problem solved!

I do not expect to - unless, of course, they rethink their approach. After all, they used to offer a pretty decent experience, and they are continually adjusting how they do things - so it is important to never say never: they might just clean up their act.

None whatsoever. We are happy just to be able to get on the ship. We simply skate around any issues that have the potential of annoying us. If it is a cruise line issue we simply vote with our feet.

We no longer wrap ourselves around the axle over things or people that we have absolutely no control over. Dress, manners, the lot. The good aspects of a cruise, including the people we meet, far out shadow the less perfect aspects.

Given a choice between focusing on pet peeves or the great times we have had on board we will always select the latter.

5. THAT guy. You know the passenger. He thinks you can't have fun without him being social director wherever you are. He's loud, he's drunk, he's EVERYWHERE. He's making his way around the excursion boat while you are trying to take in the calm, the scenery, the beauty of it all without wanting the experience to be a frat party. At one point he was spraying the women passengers with his water bottle and shouting out "ARE WE HAVING FUN YET?!?!" Yes, gold chain guy, we are having fun. Chill.

I'm pretty easy going. If the guy sprayed me I would be a bit annoyed but not that big of a deal. If he intentionally sprayed my wife or daughter then we would have an issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

people who talk loud, like they are the only one on the ship... in the theatre, on their balconies etc. Similar to people talking on cell phones in public areas... like we want to listen to their conversation?

Another one, is when you are waiting in line at the front desk, i.e., the elite line, and someone cuts in front of you. I had this happen on my last cruise on the last day, even the lady at the desk told the man, I was next but he simply refused to accept it because he was standing in the other line, finally I just told her to help him because he was interrupting us. I could not believe it, did tell him he was not gentleman!!

I am probably guilty of speaking too loud....when you live with two very hard-of-hearing people, it just becomes habit having to speak loudly (and then have to repeat 50% of what you said). Honest - in our family it's not intentional to be that way.....but I do try to be mindful of it..... Usually I can tell who is being loud "just to be heard about how important they are"...

#1 - Seeing passengers treat the staff and crew nasty. I can't stand it. They know the crew can't speak up in their own defense and this is inexcusable. :mad:

#2 - Passengers that touch the tongs and serving utensils at the buffet and toss them back onto the dish when they are finished handling them. When the crew sees this, they have to replace the entire serving tray. I've seen passengers reach into a tray and take things with their bare hands. Yuck! :confused:

People next door that leave balcony light on all night even when not using the balcony. I think some do it as a night light but it totally ruins sitting on balcony in the dark and gazing at the stars or moonlight and listening to the water. :mad:

People next door that leave balcony light on all night even when not using the balcony. I think some do it as a night light but it totally ruins sitting on balcony in the dark and gazing at the stars or moonlight and listening to the water. :mad:

Yes! I keep the balcony light off all cruise

I've seen passengers reach into a tray and take things with their bare hands. Yuck! :confused:
When I see this, I loudly call over a server and tell them that (pointing to the person who did it) the food was touched and needs to be thrown out. Only one time did a person who touched the food retaliated at me and that was a lady who, as she was yelling at me that she hadn't touched any food, was licking it off her finger. I have no problem embarrassing these folks.

Safety briefing and how the Jacksonville port handles non-Americans

[YOUTUBE]zhdwdO5vWwo[/YOUTUBE]

Happened to us in Tampa too. Just when we thought we were your Canadian cousins, you called us aliens and ordered us around at 7 a.m. Huh. You think we Canadians have weapons in our suitcases after a cruise? Dudes. Many of us in Canada still go to sleep at night without locking our doors.

Happened to us in Tampa too. Just when we thought we were your Canadian cousins, you called us aliens and ordered us around at 7 a.m. Huh. You think we Canadians have weapons in our suitcases after a cruise? Dudes. Many of us in Canada still go to sleep at night without locking our doors.

I sailed out of Tampa earlier this year and that didn't happen to us, it was like any other port

Granted that the language could be smoother, but, as a practical matter, Canadians are properly described as aliens (along with people of every other nationality) in material dealing with how non-US citizens might be processed differently from US citizens by US immigration staff.

Granted that the language could be smoother, but, as a practical matter, Canadians are properly described as aliens (along with people of every other nationality) in material dealing with how non-US citizens might be processed differently from US citizens by US immigration staff.

Just the way Canada processes non Canadians. It can be quite the ordeal entering Canada whether flying or driving. Sometimes I feel like I'm a two year old. Of course, I feel the same way entering the US from Canada. Must be a rival thing going on. :rolleyes:

Canadians are properly described as aliens

I find the term "alien" a little off-putting. It makes me feel unwelcome. Would "non-American", or "non-us citizen" be such a problem to use instead? Seems a bit more accurate and respectful.

I was born in the US but hold a Canadian passport, being called an alien and woken up hours before everyone else for a redundant process that is then repeated when I leave the ship makes me feel unwanted and so I won't be sailing out of Jacksonville again...and now perhaps Tampa as well.

• 10 months later...
An annoying issue to me is after a day in port when everyone is in line to re-board the ship there will be some people who act like they have never done this before (and yes I know some are newbees). They will wait until they get to the front of the line and act shocked that they have to get out their cruise card to return to ship. I can forgive this on the first or even second port for newbees but by the last port they should know this. So we all stand around while they dig through their bags trying to locate the card. This doesn't ruin my vacation but it is annoying.

Chris

These people are the same as those in the British supermarkets - mainly elderly shoppers who choose to shop during the lunch breaks! They wait until the cashier has scanned all the goods and rung up the total - then they begin to rummage in the obligatory spare shopping bag (which often has a spare shopping bag inside it - can't be too careful!) to find the purse. Then they rummage inside the purse to find the 'right change/money' and produce large amounts of coins which they count out, one at a time (and often lose count, so have to start again ...). And, having done all of that, just as the cashier is about to conclude the transaction, the shopper then produces 3-4 dog-eared vouchers for 'money off'! The cashier then has to examine each voucher - and you can guarantee that at least 1 will have expired and another will be for next week's shopping or will require the purchase of a minimum amount (5 times the value of the older person's shopping), thus causing a further delay ... 'Tis the supermarkets' fault, you see - they provide the training grounds for these cruise-queue disrupters ... ;p

Single supplements

Yup, about to set off on my first solo sailing... Although in the past I have seen itineraries that were very interesting to me, but when you add the single supplement it becomes priced out...or just more than I'm willing.

The fact that cruise lines use Internet charges that go right to their bottom line. This is what hotels were doing 10 years ago. ..time to include Internet in cost of the cabin. ...

Yeah, I basically roll my eyes at that. I'm still shocked when I go to regular hotels that have Internet fees.... How...... Barbaric.

And for me, personally, I think people who act self-important or self entitled about everything and anything. Nobody cares, we're all on the same vacation......

I find the term "alien" a little off-putting. It makes me feel unwelcome. Would "non-American", or "non-us citizen" be such a problem to use instead? Seems a bit more accurate and respectful.

I was born in the US but hold a Canadian passport, being called an alien and woken up hours before everyone else for a redundant process that is then repeated when I leave the ship makes me feel unwanted and so I won't be sailing out of Jacksonville again...and now perhaps Tampa as well.

Whoa! Don't blame the port!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums