What are your biggest cruise pet peeves?

Panda3

Dogs in strollers! Of course, unless the dog performs a real service.

My pet peeve is other passengers who hover over the fake service dogs and pet them with words of affirmation for this deceptive practice.

I just don't get the dog in a stroller thing. If the dog is supposed to "sense your blood sugar levels or stress or whatever else it is, how can they do that if they aren't right next to you? Dogs in strollers are almost always "dressed up".

On our last two week cruise, we had two dogs in strollers and one REAL service dog who acted and was treated as you would expect for a real service dog. The walking deck in the bow was closed off for their potty area. I am 110% in support of real service dogs, but the foo foo dogs that are fed licks of ice cream from their owner's cone (when the dog is supposed to sense diabetes issue) is a bit hard to accept.

How about not eating ice cream on a cruise if you are REALLY diabetic and leaving your dog at home?

My pet peeve is other passengers who hover over the fake service dogs and pet them with words of affirmation for this deceptive practice.

I just don't get the dog in a stroller thing. If the dog is supposed to "sense your blood sugar levels or stress or whatever else it is, how can they do that if they aren't right next to you? Dogs in strollers are almost always "dressed up".

On our last two week cruise, we had two dogs in strollers and one REAL service dog who acted and was treated as you would expect for a real service dog. The walking deck in the bow was closed off for their potty area. I am 110% in support of real service dogs, but the foo foo dogs that are fed licks of ice cream from their owner's cone (when the dog is supposed to sense diabetes issue) is a bit hard to accept.

How about not eating ice cream on a cruise if you are REALLY diabetic and leaving your dog at home?

Well said.

Or maybe I should start bring my "service cats". :eek: ;)

At least my towels animals on the bed would be real. :p :p

Thanks for the good laugh. I agree it's a serious issue, and I love the way you presented it.

Margy

Despise people who think that being a guest on board means you can be demanding and rude to the crew. These are royal arses! Far too many times I have chastised those who act like boores. Where does this entitled behavior come from???

These are the ones that need their cabin toilet scrubbed out real good with their toothbrush;)

Edited by lahlah57
Punctuation error

Despise people who think that being a guest on board means you can be demanding and rude to the crew. These are royal arses! Far too many times I have chastised those who act like boores. Where does this entitled behavior come from???

These are the ones that need their cabin toilet scrubbed out real good with their toothbrush;)

Sounds like a plan!!

people who talk loud, like they are the only one on the ship... in the theatre, on their balconies etc. Similar to people talking on cell phones in public areas... like we want to listen to their conversation?

Another one, is when you are waiting in line at the front desk, i.e., the elite line, and someone cuts in front of you. I had this happen on my last cruise on the last day, even the lady at the desk told the man, I was next but he simply refused to accept it because he was standing in the other line, finally I just told her to help him because he was interrupting us. I could not believe it, did tell him he was not gentleman!!

Hi All,

What I dislike is people in the buffet who fill their plate then only eat a small amount to try it then leave that plate and get another plate full of different food. If they want to try the food get a small amount if they like it they can get more.

Pete

Edited by Enforcer

Most of mine have already been mentioned.

People stopping in the middle of the hallway to chat about where to go next.

People sitting at tables on lido, playing cards or reading during the height of the lunch hour.

Chair hogs.

Blowhards.

One of my biggest pet peeves is people who take fruit or other perishable food items into a port. This is so dangerous to our global ecosystem (hello, stink bugs :rolleyes:). I believe lots of people just don't understand the significance of this, and a few don't care (you know, the "it's my vacation" people).

But I must disagree with some of you on the "washy washy" thing. I ALWAYS wash with soap and water before I go to the buffet. I have no need to put alcohol on my hands after that. I do not need to be accosted as I enter the buffet. I certainly do not need to be chased down and embarrassed because I refuse the hand sanitizer. Some of us have skin that does not react well to those ingredients, but it does not mean that we do not practice good hygiene.

Most of mine have already been mentioned.

People stopping in the middle of the hallway to chat about where to go next.

People sitting at tables on lido, playing cards or reading during the height of the lunch hour.

Chair hogs.

Blowhards.

One of my biggest pet peeves is people who take fruit or other perishable food items into a port. This is so dangerous to our global ecosystem (hello, stink bugs :rolleyes:). I believe lots of people just don't understand the significance of this, and a few don't care (you know, the "it's my vacation" people).

But I must disagree with some of you on the "washy washy" thing. I ALWAYS wash with soap and water before I go to the buffet. I have no need to put alcohol on my hands after that. I do not need to be accosted as I enter the buffet. I certainly do not need to be chased down and embarrassed because I refuse the hand sanitizer. Some of us have skin that does not react well to those ingredients, but it does not mean that we do not practice good hygiene.

As aforementioned, there's such an easy solution to the buffet issues: eliminate "self-serve."

I group many of these annoyances into my overarching pet peeve, those who feel "entitled", including:

• entitled to cut in front of me because you are older and, therefore, somehow are more equal than the rest of us
  • entitled to treat the staff like your personal servants because you paid for this
  • entitled to ignore your kids because, damn it, this is your vacation too!
  • etc.

As aforementioned, there's such an easy solution to the buffet issues: eliminate "self-serve."

Not a bad idea. I know it will take extra staff but some people are beyond gross. I will no longer enjoy the buffet after seeing the person (not a lady) push the remaining pasta salad off the serving spoon with her finger. I stood there and waited until a server came by and they removed the whole container. I didn't say anything to the person as I was so surprised at the time.:(

ahhh just remembered another one.......This happened on my last cruise, on the oasis of the seas. Daily, there was a man who would come to the solarium sanctuary area, get a lounge (that he had saved by chair hogging) He brought his own boombox. daily.... well..today's version, an ipod and speakers. He would very loudly play latin caribbean music. I was always near him because i was in the covered solarium area of the oasis of the seas where people (like me) read books. His music was so loud, why not use headphones? I did "rat" on him to a crew member and the crew member said there was nothing he could do.

So thats my peeve, crew allow some guests to disrupt other guests. Maybe there is no rule against loudly playing your own music, but...c'mon!

Not a bad idea. I know it will take extra staff but some people are beyond gross. I will no longer enjoy the buffet after seeing the person (not a lady) push the remaining pasta salad off the serving spoon with her finger. I stood there and waited until a server came by and they removed the whole container. I didn't say anything to the person as I was so surprised at the time.:(
I say it loud enough so the offender hears it and sees that the food has to be removed.

On my last Celebrity cruise a woman put her finger into a seafood dish as she was pointing out that there was shrimp in it. Right away I called over the server and told him, she put her finger in the food. Even though I knew and would have insisted, he said they had to remove it and throw it away. The woman, while licking the food off her finger, said "I didn't touch it". Folks were looking at her shaking their heads as she sulked away.

#1 Groups of people traveling together that must spend every waking minute together, wherever they go. Especially when they reserve seats in the theater then their companions show up after the show is started.

When I see someone down front waving to attract their late people, I wave back.

#2 People popping up their cell phones and tablets to record shows in the darkened theater so I have to see their lit screens in front of me.

#3 Shows or other events that don't start at their scheduled time to let the habitually late people come in.

Someone earlier complained about those of us that secure a table then take turns getting our food. That's so we don't have food getting cold while looking for a table. What difference does that make, you have to find a table anyway.

Edited by cruzincurt

Poor hygiene gets me every time ... And if your in the bathroom and I see you leaving without washing your hands I will say something to you and I won't be nice !!! :D

I have to disagree about the use of hand sanitizer though ...I have an autoimmune disease with multiple allergies including an allergy to purell. I once had a member of staff berate me in public about refusing to use it though ...

My other pet peeve is the people who stare ... I noticed this a lot on our last cruise. People openly staring for some unknown reason ... If you going to gawp at someone at least put some shades on so they can't tell :cool:

I have to disagree about the use of hand sanitizer though ...I have an autoimmune disease with multiple allergies including an allergy to purell. I once had a member of staff berate me in public about refusing to use it though ...

If that becomes a problem carry your own sanitizer, one that you can use, and use it in a very obvious manner when you are passing the Purell. That's what we do. If you can't find a sanitizer that is safe for you to use, just carry a small spray bottle of water and use that. ;)

If that becomes a problem carry your own sanitizer, one that you can use, and use it in a very obvious manner when you are passing the Purell. That's what we do. If you can't find a sanitizer that is safe for you to use, just carry a small spray bottle of water and use that. ;)

I am sure the lady washes her hands frequently, as this is one of her pet peeves and calls out the one's that don't in the ladies room. Even if she did carry her own....is she supposed to stand near the Purell pump, pull out hers and spray so that everyone see's it? :confused: Just saying.

Edited by champagne123
gggg

Without a doubt my biggest pet peeve is when a cruise ship allows a large group on board to have private access to a lounge all night. This has happened to us many times. As a result, we have to check many different groups to be sure that we are not on a cruise when this will happen

My Cruise Critic peeve:

People who say, "...but I didn't let it ruin my vacation." or "I know food is subjective, but..."

Okay, maybe my peeve isn't with people who say that, but rather the fact that some over-the-top reactions have conditioned people to feel that they need to make those disclaimers. :D

As I was reading this , I was thinking the exact same thing. It's ok to have a pet peeve, to not like something ,without having to defend yourself lol.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Yes, Yes, Yes to the ones you listed. I'm ashamed to admit, though, as I read the comments on getting a table in the WJ and having half my family go get food while the other half saves the table, that we were guilty of this on our recent cruise. In hindsight it makes perfect sense why this is a "pet peeve" move. Forgive me!

Elderly people shoving and hitting people with their canes, walkers, or scooters to get to their destination. I will gladly let you enter the elevators first ( when I see you) so please don't shove me out of the way with your walking device...my parents did teach me respect.

Hi,

I have used this as a quote to just highlight a problem for Scooter users, not having a go at the author.

I am a scooter user and take mine on cruises, it is a huge problem for scooter users that other people don't see them yet they can see other people. It is as though you aren't there.

I am not a wallflower being the size of a small country, even though I will politely ask people to move some just expect you to go around even though there isn't enough room.

Pete

Yes, Yes, Yes to the ones you listed. I'm ashamed to admit, though, as I read the comments on getting a table in the WJ and having half my family go get food while the other half saves the table, that we were guilty of this on our recent cruise. In hindsight it makes perfect sense why this is a "pet peeve" move. Forgive me!

There is nothing wrong in doing that!

I think I would have to say the people who rudely push past the washy washy girl in the Windjammer. Personally I think if you don't washy washy you shouldn't get to eaty eaty, after all if you make me ill I won't be able to eat for days.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Some of us actually wash their hands and are allergic to that crap they spray on our hands so we don't use it. Also, it does not protect you from noro.

• Like 1

Hi,

I have used this as a quote to just highlight a problem for Scooter users, not having a go at the author.

I am a scooter user and take mine on cruises, it is a huge problem for scooter users that other people don't see them yet they can see other people. It is as though you aren't there.

I am not a wallflower being the size of a small country, even though I will politely ask people to move some just expect you to go around even though there isn't enough room.

Pete

I'll move them out of the way for you.

Last cruise, I was waiting for an elevator with several ...older people...waiting ahead of me. A youngish couple of fools come around the corner jut as the doors opened and the headed to ward it working to get past everyone who was waiting...

I'm still pretty quick and stepped in front of them and waved the older guys into the elevator. The fools discovered there wasn't enough room after those who were ahead of them got onto the elevator.

It is Amazing to see the inconsiderate actions of the able-bodied fools near an elevator when someone who is rolling is there needing the elevator.

Rudeness abounds.