Video of Celebrity Infinity Crashing Dock in Ketchikan Yesterday

sapper1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehxiSLzP7Lc&t=1m48s

The Pearl made a clean exit into the heavy winds. Then Infinity started approaching from the north. As she nosed her bow towards the City Float cruise ship dock, a big gust pushed her bow even further towards shore. Moored just to the north of City Float is the Zaandam. Having watched many a ship dock here in Ketchikan, it appeared to Alex, that Infinity was too close to shore, and too close to Zaandam! Alex stated this fact out-loud, but failed to start rolling the cell phone video. Darn!

Both the Infinity's stern and bow thrusters running hot apparently couldn't keep the ship from gaining towards shore and the moored Zaandam. A bow only starboard thrust would allow a soft landing square to the dock, but would push the stern to port and shore-ward, and since
the Infinity's stern was overlapped with the forward part of Zaandam, a collision would occur
. The pilot's only choice was to
continue thrusting to starboard and moving forward

When the forward sections of the Infinity hull ground into the City Float piling, a loud metal-on-metal noise could be heard. Once clear of Zaandam's bow, the stern thruster helped square up the boat. But the cruise ship dock, catwalk, piling, auxiliary inside float and Infinity's port side suffered.

Sounds like they were describing a handbrake parking.

I wonder what happened to those cruisers who had private tours booked.... was there refunds for the delays?

Thank you for this information.

When something like this happens, excursions booked via the ship are refunded.

Private tours -- those people have to call their vendors.

My parents are currently on this ship and we're having lunch when it happened. Although they felt it, nobody was hurt. They said nobody was allowed off the ship initially and all excursions were cancelled. It sounds like they didn't depart and had to stay docked most of the night.

Mom said the winds were very high and water was choppy.

Glad everyone was ok on board!

Thank you for this information.

When something like this happens, excursions booked via the ship are refunded.

Private tours -- those people have to call their vendors.

Most private tours are very co-operative KK and those of us that book check the "what if". The private tour operators would have known what would have happened and would have been co-operative I am sure.

In fact, I have found the private tour operators to react more quickly more than HAL shore excursion. JMO.

Edited by kazu

The Pearl made a clean exit into the heavy winds. Then Infinity started approaching from the north. As she nosed her bow towards the City Float cruise ship dock, a big gust pushed her bow even further towards shore. Moored just to the north of City Float is the Zaandam. Having watched many a ship dock here in Ketchikan, it appeared to Alex, that Infinity was too close to shore, and too close to Zaandam! Alex stated this fact out-loud, but failed to start rolling the cell phone video. Darn!

Both the Infinity's stern and bow thrusters running hot apparently couldn't keep the ship from gaining towards shore and the moored Zaandam. A bow only starboard thrust would allow a soft landing square to the dock, but would push the stern to port and shore-ward, and since
the Infinity's stern was overlapped with the forward part of Zaandam, a collision would occur
. The pilot's only choice was to
continue thrusting to starboard and moving forward

When the forward sections of the Infinity hull ground into the City Float piling, a loud metal-on-metal noise could be heard. Once clear of Zaandam's bow, the stern thruster helped square up the boat. But the cruise ship dock, catwalk, piling, auxiliary inside float and Infinity's port side suffered.

I wonder what happened to those cruisers who had private tours booked.... was there refunds for the delays?

--:eek:-- I would have luved to be on the Zaandam's bridge at that moment- to see the reaction of the crew--holy moly--:eek:

Edited by maxie99

Most private tours are very co-operative KK and those of us that book check the "what if". The private tour operators would have known what would have happened and would have been co-operative I am sure.

In fact, I have found the private tour operators to react more quickly more than HAL shore excursion. JMO.

That's my experience too with cancelled ports. Also, we had to depart a 14-day cruise mid way due to a medical issue and the owners of all of the private tours we had booked returned our deposits without a question, each wishing my DW a speedy recovery. We have since returned to each of their islands and rebooked with them, and have recommended them to anyone who will listen.

--:eek:-- I would have luved to be on the Zaandam's bridge at that moment- to see the reaction of the crew--holy moly--:eek:

The Zaandam had the dead whale on the bulbous bow last Sunday when we disembarked at Skagway and now this near miss. Many people are on the 14 day round trip so get to experience both incidents. Captain Turner and his officers are having an "interesting" time.

The Zaandam had the dead whale on the bulbous bow last Sunday when we disembarked at Skagway and now this near miss. Many people are on the 14 day round trip so get to experience both incidents. Captain Turner and his officers are having an "interesting" time.

Wasn't that Seward?

..................................... The pilot's only choice was to continue thrusting to starboard and moving forward.

The pilot is on the bridge to advise, especially re: any challenges, i.e. currents, special maneuvers required, etc. to take the ship into a port that he/she is very familiar with! The captain or his/her designee, usually the staff captain, would have had the conn, and would have been the decision maker when Infinity was berthing in Ketchikan yesterday

Will be goin up there in a couple of weeks, I've heard that the Nieuw Amsterdam, usually docks at pier 3, but now don't know. I sure hope when the ship gets there on June 23, they don't have to tender. Kinda wonderin who was bringin the ship in, the pilot or the captain, and who will get chewed out? Think somebody's job might be on the line.

Edited by gottagoacruzn

The pilot is on the bridge to advise, especially re: any challenges, i.e. currents, special maneuvers required, etc. to take the ship into a port that he/she is very familiar with! The captain or his/her designee, usually the staff captain, would have had the conn, and would have been the decision maker when Infinity was berthing in Ketchikan yesterday

I think the only time the Captain is not in control is when the ship is in the locks in the Panama Canal

I think the only time the Captain is not in control is when the ship is in the locks in the Panama Canal

Even there, the captain has ultimate responsibility! It becomes more of a cooperative effort between hi/her and the canal pilot(s)

Even there, the captain has ultimate responsibility! It becomes more of a cooperative effort between hi/her and the canal pilot(s)

What you say is accurate to a point when comes to the crew and ship response as the captain is the ship owners person in command. However at the Panama Canal if the master overruled the Canal pilot involving damage to the ship, other ship or the Canal itself, then the master has just made the ship owners financially and legally liable. If by some good fortune there is no damage in the master overruling the pilot, then the transit would be terminated and not resumed until the master was replaced. I have witnessed a cruise ship taken to the dock, denied transit until a new master was flown in from Miami. For the record it was a Royal Caribbean ship!:D

I used to work very closely with the Canal pilots and said to a good pilot friend... "I guess a Navy captain likes having aboard for the transit since it is you that is on the blame line." His answer was... "not really, if something serious were to happen then the Navy would have expected him to somehow finesse the situation to avoid the incident and he would probably be relieved as a result."

A cooperative effort between the pilot and master is crucial.

When things go the way they are suppose to they make it look so easy, parking a ship in some tight places. But when things go side ways they better come up with a plan B in a hurry, guess that's why they pay them the big bucks. It could of been a lot worse, glad nobody was hurt, they can fix the damage that did occur.

Allan

Also, as soon as the ship crosses the sill of a drydock, the Master is no longer in command or responsible, the shipyard's docking master has command.