Celebrity Eclipse -New Production Shows, oh dear.

kevinyork

Tavel + Leisure August Magazine has ratings on Cruise Ships ,hotels around the world ie . For brevity purposes . I am listing in order of best & then down the line how this magazine has rated those cruise lines in both the MKega & then the Large Ship Cruise lines .

Mega Cruise lines rated from top to bottom : 1) Cunard ,2) Disney 3) Princess 4) Celebrity (class )5) Royal Caribbean

Large Cruise Ship Category : 1) Viking 2)Crystal Cruises 3)Regent Seven Seas 4)Cunard 5)Azamara Club Cruises 6)Oceania Cruises 7)Holland America 8) Celebrity (M) class 9) Royal Caribbean

We can see the reasons why these ratings . In the Mega Class ,the new Princess ships have a step up over the Celebrity S class ;as Princess has recently added brand new Mega ships & the S class is getting a bit older . Disney always gives a premium performance in all categories & their prices are much greater . Cunard is simply elegant & would rate with the finest hotels in the world for impeccable service & quality

When it comes to the Large cruise ship ratings both the Celebrity M class & the older RCCL ships are really getting old compared to the cruise lines ahead of them . Viking is brand new to ocean cruising & their ships are smaller in the 40 000 ton range with less than 1000 passengers

My personal slant on cruise ship rating is a all encompassing over view of any cruise line ,like cabin size & amenities ,food preparation ,presentation & quality ,entertainment variety & quality , ports of call & tour quality ie .Those seem to be the major categories for comparing cruise lines . Then adjusting one's budget to be able to pick a cruise line that fits . ;)

Yes it not only takes time to learn about the difference in cruise lines ;but it also takes time & money to test them out for your own personal choices ;):D

as we age our tastes change ,when we were younger doing our first cruise the ports of call were most important & so it goes in stages of age & experience . Having done over 40 Celebrity cruise & a current total of 77 cruises & now being 77 our tastes are very different than when we fiorst started to cruise . The ships entertainment menu is a important factor when we consider repeat sailings on that cruise line .

We hope that Celebrity makes their shows appealing before we do the next B2B 11 & 7 night sailing May 2017 on Infiniti ;)

I have never been that great a fan of Celebrity's productions as once you've seen them once no need to attend repeat performances every cruise. This does not detract on the overall enjoyment of our cruise. It's the whole product

rather than one element

But please tell me they still have the late night comedians ??

We are sailing on the Silhouette in Sept .

Cheers

Scotslizzy

Tavel + Leisure August Magazine has ratings on Cruise Ships ,hotels around the world ie . For brevity purposes . I am listing in order of best & then down the line how this magazine has rated those cruise lines in both the MKega & then the Large Ship Cruise lines .

Mega Cruise lines rated from top to bottom : 1) Cunard ,2) Disney 3) Princess 4) Celebrity (class )5) Royal Caribbean

Large Cruise Ship Category : 1) Viking 2)Crystal Cruises 3)Regent Seven Seas 4)Cunard 5)Azamara Club Cruises 6)Oceania Cruises 7)Holland America 8) Celebrity (M) class 9) Royal Caribbean

We can see the reasons why these ratings . In the Mega Class ,the new Princess ships have a step up over the Celebrity S class ;as Princess has recently added brand new Mega ships & the S class is getting a bit older . Disney always gives a premium performance in all categories & their prices are much greater . Cunard is simply elegant & would rate with the finest hotels in the world for impeccable service & quality

When it comes to the Large cruise ship ratings both the Celebrity M class & the older RCCL ships are really getting old compared to the cruise lines ahead of them . Viking is brand new to ocean cruising & their ships are smaller in the 40 000 ton range with less than 1000 passengers

My personal slant on cruise ship rating is a all encompassing over view of any cruise line ,like cabin size & amenities ,food preparation ,presentation & quality ,entertainment variety & quality , ports of call & tour quality ie .Those seem to be the major categories for comparing cruise lines . Then adjusting one's budget to be able to pick a cruise line that fits . ;)

Yes it not only takes time to learn about the difference in cruise lines ;but it also takes time & money to test them out for your own personal choices ;):D

as we age our tastes change ,when we were younger doing our first cruise the ports of call were most important & so it goes in stages of age & experience . Having done over 40 Celebrity cruise & a current total of 77 cruises & now being 77 our tastes are very different than when we fiorst started to cruise . The ships entertainment menu is a important factor when we consider repeat sailings on that cruise line .

We hope that Celebrity makes their shows appealing before we do the next B2B 11 & 7 night sailing May 2017 on Infiniti ;)

I never read much into these awards. The nomination, judging process and voting processes are often suspect. In some cases there is commercial relationship (advertising) between the magazine and the nominees / winners.

Most magazines seem more about selling a product than being strictly objective. My golf magazine keeps telling me how my 3 year old Ping golf clubs are now rubbish compared with the new Ping golf clubs - despite winning the award for best golf club. My camera is now supposedly only good, 2 years after being one of the best. Even web based sites like Trip Advisor seem more focussed on pushing the hotels it thinks suit you best (or them!) .

I realised how duff it all was a few years back when I was asked to vote in a UK Business Travellers magazine's "prestigious"annual awards. Best Airport for customs and immigration was a short list of (IIRC) Heathrow, Singapore, Hong Kong, Frankfurt, and JFK. Heathrow ended up winning!!! I guess largely because of the Largely UK based readership who breeze through. Best hotel in the world was a short list exclusively from the Far East, no requirement to have actually even visited the country let alone the hotel in order to cast your vote.

Edited by DYKWIA

Just wondering how long until Celebrity creates "specialty Show experience" where you pay $$$ to experience an enjoyable show. I've seen at least 6 of the home grown shows and , to be polite let's just say, they need work. I really feel for the cast that has to make this stuff work.

P&O already have this on Britannia with the Limelight Club, an extra charge evening dinner venue with guest entertainers, although many I would probably not bother seeing for free in the theatre.

I never read much into these awards. The nomination, judging process and voting processes are often suspect. In some cases there is commercial relationship (advertising) between the magazine and the nominees / winners.

Most magazines seem more about selling a product than being strictly objective. My golf magazine keeps telling me how my 3 year old Ping golf clubs are now rubbish compared with the new Ping golf clubs - despite winning the award for best golf club. My camera is now supposedly only good, 2 years after being one of the best. Even web based sites like Trip Advisor seem more focussed on pushing the hotels it thinks suit you best (or them!) .

I realised how duff it all was a few years back when I was asked to vote in a UK Business Travellers magazine's "prestigious"annual awards. Best Airport for customs and immigration was a short list of (IIRC) Heathrow, Singapore, Hong Kong, Frankfurt, and JFK. Heathrow ended up winning!!! I guess largely because of the Largely UK based readership who breeze through. Best hotel in the world was a short list exclusively from the Far East, no requirement to have actually even visited the country let alone the hotel in order to cast your vote.

Imo I feel that this magazine rating on the Mega & Large ships is accurate & not biased because of any advertising with the magazine or any other monetary reasoning ;) . Recommend that you study ships ,ages ,amenities ,attention to service & detail & you too could perhaps agree with Travel +Leisure .

We are still new to cruising. We have been on 4 seven night cruises and 1 five night cruise. I just booked a 13 night TA on Eclipse in April. Will we be seeing repeat shows on a 13 nighter? or will every evening be a different show?

From our experience on 14 night cruises on X, you will see a maximum of 3 different shows by the production staff and the rest will be guests and sometimes a crew show, but the last is rare on X and more common on HAL

You won't get repeats as such. The production shows should be 3 separate ones shown one time each on different nights. The other nights will be a variety of guest entertainers, sometimes a couple of them will combine together to do a different show to their solo ones, you may also get additional matinee performances from either guest artistes or individual ships company members. HTH.

From our experience on 14 night cruises on X, you will see a maximum of 3 different shows by the production staff and the rest will be guests and sometimes a crew show, but the last is rare on X and more common on HAL

Thanks to you and Harz99.

• 2 weeks later...

We took a cruise on the Eclipse in its first year and remember the performers around the ship and they were all different and we enjoyed them all. The production shows in the Theatre have always been pretty naff . Last year on the ship there appeared very little around the ship except the house band as an alternative entertainment in the evenings.

We are again on the Eclipse in a couple of weeks and it sounds like things haven't changed much.With the money RCI are supposed to spend on these "creations" you would think it shouldn't take much to get things better. The management obviously are easily pleased.

I was recently on Eclipse and I thought the entertainment was excellent. In fact, I thought Topper was one of the best shows I've seen on a cruise. It was very upbeat with modern music and when they started singing Uptown Funk, people were dancing in the audience.

I was recently on Eclipse and I thought the entertainment was excellent. In fact, I thought Topper was one of the best shows I've seen on a cruise. It was very upbeat with modern music and when they started singing Uptown Funk, people were dancing in the audience.

Recently?

We have repeat bookings on Infinity.

Can someone run down the theater and atrium shows, etc for that ship?

Not expecting anything great after seeing how bad they were on Equinox. The cast worked hard & did the best job possible with terrible material but we had hoped for more after all the hype...but maybe there will be a surprise bright spot on Infinity.

Wondering how long each show will be on a particular ship.?

Phew !!! I can just picture my six year old grooved dancing to uptown funk !!! He adores that one

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I agree. We did a 14 Night Caribbean Cruise 2 April 2016 and enjoyed all 3 Celebrity production shows and all the other entertainment.

Well, in December. Regardless, it was post-refurb and with the current shows that the OP did not like.

That's the point, in December Eclipse was sailing out of Florida on completely different itineraries to now, with a different set of cruisers with different likes/dislikes to those on this side of the pond. The OP sailed out of Southampton, as did I and nobody was dancing to these new shows, the only movement was people walking out.

That's the point, in December Eclipse was sailing out of Florida on completely different itineraries to now, with a different set of cruisers with different likes/dislikes to those on this side of the pond. The OP sailed out of Southampton, as did I and nobody was dancing to these new shows, the only movement was people walking out.

Ok.

I was just saying that I really enjoyed the shows. Nothing more, nothing less.

I'll continue to reassure people that, I think, Eclipse entertainment is excellent, regardless of the itinerary.

I belong to another Celebrity chat group and someone onboard now is raving about the production shows. They also are saying Topper is one of the best shows they've seen at sea

I belong to another Celebrity chat group and someone onboard now is raving about the production shows. They also are saying Topper is one of the best shows they've seen at sea

Each to their own. Where is the ship sailing from and to?

We are Elite on Celebrity and just got off the Oasis for RCCL. The entertainment on the Oasis was much better than what we've recently seen on Celebrity, good production numbers and great variety, but I missed the food on Celebrity.

We are Elite on Celebrity and just got off the Oasis for RCCL. The entertainment on the Oasis was much better than what we've recently seen on Celebrity, good production numbers and great variety, but I missed the food on Celebrity.

Those Oasis Class ships have some great shows.

Peng Fei featured in the Cirque type show on Eclipse the last few years and often did a show of his own featuring his magic. Alas with the changeover to in house production shows such talent has been lost.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As an update, I've chatted with Peng Fei a few times online. He's now switched to parent company RCCL & is cruising the far East region at this time.

The Broken Strings show just needs to be explained...

If I can't figure it out in the first few minutes, it's pretty much a miss. No matter how well the costuming and staging is done, which visually was quite good. Musically - definitely some things to be desired.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by pumpkin 11