Wheelchair Courtesy

One of us is confined to a wheelchair and he exercises every possible courtesy/caution as not to harm/injure other passengers with his wheelchair while onboard ship and/or ashore and/or at home and in his hometown when out and about.

On board ship though he had a few of too many close calls when an impatient passenger suddenly jumped from behind him to in front of him and/or tried to squeeze past him in hallways while he and his wheelchair were in motion.

In short, he's very cautious and very considerate of others and only wishes that others would be the same in return.

I know what you mean.

I use a Rollator and have been nearly knocked over by people pushing to get in line at the Lido, getting on the elevators.

One time a woman on a scooter also pushed in front of me to get on the elevator.

The last couple of years I seen more rude people than ever -- on ships and on land.

Unfortunately, unlike freeways, there are no passing lanes in ship hallways, which tend to be narrow at the best of times. So faster moving foot traffic gets caught up behind a slower moving wheelchair and inevitably there will be someone wanting to get by. I'm not sure that there's an easy solution, but a bit of patience and understanding would go a long way in avoiding incidents.

My husband is mostly mobile but we sometimes use a wheelchair, borrowed from the ship, for embarkation/disembarkation. We used a wheelchair to disembark in LA recently for customs clearance. Ship staff were unable to leave the ship so I had to navigate the wheelchair myself.

It was hard to do! I apologize to everyone I almost ran over! If we got a little momentum going, and then someone stepped in front of us, I had a hard time slowing the chair down and averting disaster.

Carpet was also very hard to maneuver on.

So people even if you don't care about the wheelchair person, take care yourself! Give the wheelchair some space.

On board ship though he had a few of too many close calls when an impatient passenger suddenly jumped from behind him to in front of him and/or tried to squeeze past him in hallways while he and his wheelchair were in motion.

It happens all too often that people step in front of a moving scooter, too. Even worse is when they step in front of the moving scooter, then stop dead in their tracks :rolleyes:.

Happens all too often.

I understand the dynamic that the pedestrian is measuring clearance from their body to the body of the person in the assistance device. They don't take the portion of the device in front of the body as part of the moving unit into account.

The urge to run into them is very strong as you try to stop suddenly (then the pedestrian behind you has a problem :eek:).

Unfortunately, unlike freeways, there are no passing lanes in ship hallways, which tend to be narrow at the best of times. So faster moving foot traffic gets caught up behind a slower moving wheelchair and inevitably there will be someone wanting to get by. I'm not sure that there's an easy solution, but a bit of patience and understanding would go a long way in avoiding incidents.

Perhaps they could stay to the right?

Perhaps they could stay to the right?

I do stay to the right. My DH stays behind me. Thus there is room for people to pass.

What hate is when I have pushed the elevator button, move almost to the front of the doors -- allowing room for people to leave the elevator. Then someone will push in front of me even though I was there first.

When I am in a chair, I think I will get a very loud horn, and an assortment of responses in various voices to rudely behaving people that I can play at the touch of a button. And a can of pepper spray. Can't wait!

KenNMB

Volendam: NYC to Bermuda (1978)

Nieuw Amsterdam Seattle to Alaska (2007)

Noordam: Port Everglades TA to Rome (2014)

Zuiderdam: to Panama (partial) (2015)

Veendam: Port Everglades to Montreal (Spring 2016)

Zuiderdam: Quebec City to Port Everglades (Fall 2016)

When I am in a chair, I think I will get a very loud horn, and an assortment of responses in various voices to rudely behaving people that I can play at the touch of a button. And a can of pepper spray. Can't wait!

I think a nice little cattle prod or a a little something to give them a 'goose'. That will get their attention.....

That being said, I found Ruth's comment interesting << I understand the dynamic that the pedestrian is measuring clearance from their body to the body of the person in the assistance device. They don't take the portion of the device in front of the body as part of the moving unit into account. >> As a mobile person, I didn't realize tht is that natural dynamic. I wonder if something in the front with some height helps visualize the front better....and saves risk of limb to walker and rider?

I also can understand the reason many motorized pedestrians in Ottawa use a flag on the back of their 'ride'. But I can see that being a liability to the eyes on a ship.

As always, there are two sides to every story. There are certainly people who are rude in relation to people who are less mobile. Conversely, there are also people in chairs who go down the middle of "the road" with their family/friends arrayed around them, taking up 3 or more "lanes".

My peeve is people, fully mobile or otherwise, who suddenly stop in the middle of a "road" and chat up a storm...within any idea they have totally clogged up the flow.

Major first world problem!

Edited by CruiserBruce

What works for me in my rental scooter on board the ship is:

1. When entering and exiting an elevator I make sure to say, "Beware all, I am a legally blind old woman driving this baby, watch your toes." Needless to say, everyone waits for me to position myself first into the elevator and they all step off the elevator and hold the door for me as I get off (I make the same statement as I back out of the elevator), and then they get back in and continue on their way.

2. When driving the scooter in groups of peole I say the same thing as above and again people clear out of the way:)

3. When someone laughingly says you need a horn for that thing, I show them where the horn is and how nigh unto impossible it is to use it and drive safely at the same time. They then understand.

I've had just 1 incident of a rude person jumping in front of me into an elevator and I dealt with him in a sly way. There were 4 or 5 others that got on after I did (remember I was 2nd thanks to the rude guy) and I positioned my scooter so that he was literally trapped against the back left corner and since it was such a hassle to get all of us in, rude guy had to ride the elevator until we all got to our decks. I saw him twice after that incident and both times he offered to let me enter the elevator first:D

Joanie

When I'm the better version of myself, I look at a person as we pass, but sadly I often tend to be a little to focused on getting where I'm going and virtually ignore the persons I am "rubbing shoulders" with, be they walking or "on wheels".

Hopefully, on my cruises I will slow down a bit and remember... that I'm on a cruise!!

I know what you mean.

I use a Rollator and have been nearly knocked over by people pushing to get in line at the Lido, getting on the elevators.

One time a woman on a scooter also pushed in front of me to get on the elevator.

The last couple of years I seen more rude people than ever -- on ships and on land.

DITTO from this Disabled Veteran who uses a Cane and Rollator!;)

One of us is confined to a wheelchair and he exercises every possible courtesy/caution as not to harm/injure other passengers with his wheelchair while onboard ship and/or ashore and/or at home and in his hometown when out and about.

In short, he's very cautious and very considerate of others and only wishes that others would be the same in return.

You felt the need to post on 7 or 8 different boards?

What works for me in my rental scooter on board the ship is:

1. When entering and exiting an elevator I make sure to say, "Beware all, I am a legally blind old woman driving this baby, watch your toes." Needless to say, everyone waits for me to position myself first into the elevator and they all step off the elevator and hold the door for me as I get off (I make the same statement as I back out of the elevator), and then they get back in and continue on their way.

2. When driving the scooter in groups of peole I say the same thing as above and again people clear out of the way:)

3. When someone laughingly says you need a horn for that thing, I show them where the horn is and how nigh unto impossible it is to use it and drive safely at the same time. They then understand.

I've had just 1 incident of a rude person jumping in front of me into an elevator and I dealt with him in a sly way. There were 4 or 5 others that got on after I did (remember I was 2nd thanks to the rude guy) and I positioned my scooter so that he was literally trapped against the back left corner and since it was such a hassle to get all of us in, rude guy had to ride the elevator until we all got to our decks. I saw him twice after that incident and both times he offered to let me enter the elevator first:D

Joanie

While I think it is a little sad that people (myself included, at least sometimes) need to have our awareness of others perked up with methods such as these, it is nice to know that people such as yourself deal with life's difficulties with good humor!

As always, there are two sides to every story. There are certainly people who are rude in relation to people who are less mobile. Conversely, there are also people in chairs who go down the middle of "the road" with their family/friends arrayed around them, taking up 3 or more "lanes".

My peeve is people, fully mobile or otherwise, who suddenly stop in the middle of a "road" and chat up a storm...within any idea they have totally clogged up the flow.

Well said!

I have seen many mobile people be rude to wheelchair and scooter people. However, that works both ways. Many times, one will see a scooter and his family blocking traffic and not paying attention to the traffic flow. Same with strollers on a ship. Courtesy works both ways.

What hate is when I have pushed the elevator button, move almost to the front of the doors -- allowing room for people to leave the elevator. Then someone will push in front of me even though I was there first.[/size][/font]

I don't blame you. that IS rude!

Yeah, they're the ones who stop right at the top of the escalator, too.

I think the increase in rudeness is that people have become so self-contained. They walk around with their phones in front of their faces and their tunes in their ears. This leads to the "I'm the only person who matters" attitude. Basic courtesy doesn't seem to be worth the trouble.

Thank you.

Courtesy goes both ways.

You don't have to go on a cruise to see the lack of manners and increase of rudeness in people. Just go to a shopping mall or the grocery store.

I agree, we need to be more aware of those on scooters and wheelchairs, and do understand how it's impossible for them to stop on a dime. But rude people push in front of everyone, not just the mobility-challenged. :( I was almost knocked down the stairs by a man pushing past me on one cruise. (I did give him a piece of my mind) ;)

I can't count how many times I have waited patiently for an elevator, or coffee in the Lido, and been pushed aside like I was invisible. It happens to all of us.

Conversely, there are also people in chairs who go down the middle of "the road" ...

There are some really good reasons to go down the middle of the passageway, especially in the cabin areas.

In main areas, there are places where the passageway opens up for a bit, before narrowing down again, such as an entrance to a lounge. People walking behind make that an opportunity to try to pass, but can't get back in line before the passageway narrows, causing a potential collision in the process.

If there's a cross passageway, people pop out of it into the main passageway without looking. Being more toward the middle allows another second to avoid a collision.

In cabin areas, where the passageway is more narrow, it's essential to stay to the middle, unless passing someone coming in the other direction. People open their cabin door and step right out without looking first.

I listen intently for the "click" of the lock/doorknob, and practically come to a stop, as I know they are going to step without looking.

there are so many good points in this thread and a good reminder. Having had a family member require a transport chair for 2 years and me being the pusher for a lot of it I have seen much of what has been said.

What baffles me is that people can occupy the same public space having their own goals and not take a second to communicate how they are going to navigate that space together to reach their own goals. It's public space!

for example hallway walking- Hi, is it ok if I pass? I've found people in wheelchairs, rollators to be extremely accomodating if you talk to them.

at the elevator- Hi, how do you need this to work for you? They know... and it never takes more than 5 extra seconds for them to do what they need to do.

I guess some people are islands...IDK....pedestrians crossing the street on the walk sign are practically run over in our town. So sad.

Edited by sammygoose
rephrase