Are multi-port usb chargers banned

45 minutes ago, keishashadow said:

Question the mr has:  when you one says confiscate…does that mean you can get it back the end of the cruise same place I see steamers etc. when disembarking?

You get it back. Some pictures of the "naughty table" stolen from some other threads:

IMG_8302.thumb.jpeg.2c000ec5d98c9cb5f793b8b62ee8a00c.jpeg

F9AE8CE6-073C-4036-BFDE-89683E80DBD0.thumb.jpeg.72e6dba90cf950d997408e25d5fc88c6.jpeg

• Haha 1

Until it's clarified by actual experiences, as I read it, these should be allowed. I know it's inconvenient to not have a USB or electical outlet adjacent to the bed (as found on most older ships), I plan on keeping my phone on the night stand plugged into a portable battery pack if needed.

Screenshot 2024-09-18 185931.jpg

3 hours ago, shof515 said:

120v power

Does it have a transformer, or are you talking 120V directly?  Almost every 120V *thing* you could bring on a ship are not allowed anyway.  Can't bring a coffee maker, can't bring a hair dryer, etc.  What are you powering?

If it's electronics, you should check and see if it can run on 220V- as almost all electronics transformers can run 220V as well as 120.  So you just need the adaptor plug.

1 hour ago, VegasVic14 said:

Until it's clarified by actual experiences, as I read it, these should be allowed. I know it's inconvenient to not have a USB or electical outlet adjacent to the bed (as found on most older ships), I plan on keeping my phone on the night stand plugged into a portable battery pack if needed.

Screenshot 2024-09-18 185931.jpg

Correct, this is not a multi-outlet adapter since it has no outlets. Just USB connectors.

The change was to close a loophole with people bringing power strips which weren't technically "power strips"

I’ve been a loyal Royal cruiser for some time and while I understand the why, I find it very crappy of them to ban these whenever they’ve ignored updating cabins on their older ships. The guest shouldn’t be inconvenienced due to their lack of planning or updating of ships to be compatible with the modern traveler. May be an unpopular opinion here but it needed to be said. Royal is notorious for building fleets of new vessels while ignoring their older ones, especially the cabins.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, tntornadox said:

I’ve been a loyal Royal cruiser for some time and while I understand the why, I find it very crappy of them to ban these whenever they’ve ignored updating cabins on their older ships. The guest shouldn’t be inconvenienced due to their lack of planning or updating of ships to be compatible with the modern traveler. May be an unpopular opinion here but it needed to be said. Royal is notorious for building fleets of new vessels while ignoring their older ones, especially the cabins.

It's be quite impractical to try to add outlets to every cabin due to their modular nature.

Plus, it's easy to have enough outlets. Just buy a european adapter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tntornadox said:

A modern traveler has a phone, tablet, computer, and camera that they need charged- what else?  And many new computers can charge from a USB-C outlet.  

Still- all of those use a transformer system, and I have not yet seen a modern charger system that can't deal with 220V.  Meaning there are two extra outlets if you buy a couple of $5 converters.  And multiple outlet USB blocks have been around a long time- We've used a 4 USB thing for about a decade (since we got a smartphone).

I'm not aware of anything "modern" that uses 120V directly- most of those are old things like hair dryers, curlers, etc.  Most of which are not allowed on ships.

I get that you think that they should update the old rooms, but I don't think that's very feasible considering how they are built.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, alfaeric said:

Does it have a transformer, or are you talking 120V directly?  Almost every 120V *thing* you could bring on a ship are not allowed anyway.  Can't bring a coffee maker, can't bring a hair dryer, etc.  What are you powering?

If it's electronics, you should check and see if it can run on 220V- as almost all electronics transformers can run 220V as well as 120.  So you just need the adaptor plug.

Whoa... ease up there man, are you trying to incite a riot?  😉

Hair Dryers, hair straighteners, curling irons, etc are allowed. 

Are the extension cords provided by RCI to, for example CPAP users, have multi plugs?  If so, are those going to no longer be provided?  If the concern is that the ships outlet may not be able to maintain the power load (as opposed to a bad cord), then wouldn't this also apply to the RCI supplied cords?  If the RCI cords are multi plug, why just not ask RCI special services for one if you really need extra outlets.  Of course, this could be a problem if thousands of rooms all ask for one since they can no longer bring their own...

5 minutes ago, The Scurvy Pirate said:

Are the extension cords provided by RCI to, for example CPAP users, have multi plugs?  If so, are those going to no longer be provided?  If the concern is that the ships outlet may not be able to maintain the power load (as opposed to a bad cord), then wouldn't this also apply to the RCI supplied cords?  If the RCI cords are multi plug, why just not ask RCI special services for one if you really need extra outlets.  Of course, this could be a problem if thousands of rooms all ask for one since they can no longer bring their own...

The last time we received a huge orange extension cord that you get everywhere. I guess we could plug phones into that!