Removing Partial Tips?

We are booked on Oasis in January and are traveling with a group so we booked through a TA. He suggested that if we choose to go to a specialty restaurant instead of the MDR for dinner, go to the customer service desk and remove the gratuities for that night for the MDR staff. He said it was something like $7 per diner ($21 for our party of 3).

Do people really do that?

Is that considered rude? Or is it considered fair?

Constructive thoughts are appreciated.

The tips allocated to the dining staff are pooled and are also given to those crewmembers that are working at the MDR and Windjammer (buffet) during breakfast and lunch.

Wow, really?

Well, you will get many opinions on this, but I will just say that your travel agent should know that the crew who serve in the dining room also work elsewhere on the ship. We have seen our waiter, assistant waiter, and head waiter all working in the Windjammer buffet. If you remove your tips for a specialty restaurant evening, you are effectively removing the tips for where the staff work when they are NOT in the dining room.

You asked, and in my opinion, it is not fair. The crew work very hard for you and their tips are part of their wages. Until and unless Royal Caribbean chooses to pay them more or include gratuities in the cruise fare, I am leaving all of the tips in place.

EDITED to add: we have taken cruises where we did not eat one single meal in the dining room, not one. We left the tips in place to cover where we did eat.

Edited by Langley Cruisers

We are booked on Oasis in January and are traveling with a group so we booked through a TA. He suggested that if we choose to go to a specialty restaurant instead of the MDR for dinner, go to the customer service desk and remove the gratuities for that night for the MDR staff. He said it was something like $7 per diner ($21 for our party of 3).

IMHO, that is very inconsiderate since those that serve you in the MDR at dinner will also be working other venues that you might visit during the day.

I've no idea what possessed your TA to make such a suggestion, but please add my emphatic "NO" to your responses. Is this a TA with much cruising experience? Some TAs are "jacks of all trades" with limited knowledge when it comes to cruising. You might want to re-evaluate other suggestions he has made.

Edited by Fouremco

You have heard several responses about how the waiters and the rest of the wait staff who you would be removing the tips from, for that night's dinner that you have in a specialty restaurant, WORK all over the ship throughout the day SERVING you, when you might not realize it.

So it is UNFAIR and WRONG to remove the tips, in my opinion for that evening.

What disturbs me, is your travel agent even suggesting it. They should know better. Or of course, they are more concerned with saving you a few dollars, than doing what is right. Removing the tips, is not right.

I cruise on average 20 + times a year. I have probably only eaten in the MDR two or three times over the past three years. I have NEVER reduced my tips and always give extra cash to those who go over and above what is expected.

I LOVE all of your responses. Thank you.

I wanted to add (but it was too late to edit) - this is not MY actual travel agent. This is the agent I had to use in order to stay with the group booking. I bet if I called my agent, she would be appalled as well.

And regarding the saving money comment, I was thinking...if I can afford to pay $3k+ for a cruise, almost $2k for airfare plus transfers, plus drinks etc, is $21 going to make a difference for me? No. But it will for the servers.

Thank you all for your comments. I did truly wonder if anyone had done that or even heard of that being done.

I LOVE all of your responses. Thank you.... And regarding the saving money comment, I was thinking...if I can afford to pay $3k+ for a cruise, almost $2k for airfare plus transfers, plus drinks etc, is $21 going to make a difference for me? No. But it will for the servers...

OP I was just coming back to this thread to say I hope that you didn't feel ganged up on or dumped on for asking about this. I felt you asked a sincere question in good faith, not that you were thinking of doing this. Tipping threads (as well as a few other hot button topics!) can get very heated, judgmental, and even mean... but your reply here is kind and eloquent. :)

I'm sure you will enjoy your cruise.

That would be the last time I used that TA. She has no knowledge of cruising to make such a suggestion. She is definitely thoughtless and encouraging you to do the same. Please leave the tips as we do.

I don't remove any tips when I go to the specialty restaurants. I do eat breakfast and lunch other places on the ship, so I still get service.

Just curious ..... I pay my tips before I get on board

But I do give extra to certain staff ..... Does that amount stay with that person only?

Mostly yes, however I do see bartenders putting cash into a tip jar from time to time.

And regarding the saving money comment, I was thinking...if I can afford to pay $3k+ for a cruise, almost $2k for airfare plus transfers, plus drinks etc, is $21 going to make a difference for me? No. But it will for the servers.

That's such a terrific way to look at it.

This is a little off topic, on my last cruise I needed to go to the bursars office and pick-up a package and wound up hanging around for about ten minutes. I was surprised by the number of passengers that were having their tip adjusted.

I wanted to add (but it was too late to edit) - this is not MY actual travel agent. This is the agent I had to use in order to stay with the group booking. I bet if I called my agent, she would be appalled as well.

Thank you all for your comments. I did truly wonder if anyone had done that or even heard of that being done.

Thanks for that clarification. Phew!

I would smack that TA up the side of his/her head! :eek:

Edited by Merion_Mom

The enthusiasm for tipping doesn't seem to be mirrored by the queues at the Customer Services desk requesting all tips to be removed. Not just for one night but for the entire cruise.

I'm unsure whether this practice of removing all tips is prevalent, or indeed possible, with Royal Caribbean but it is certainly the case with those who cruise with P&O.

I personally agree with you regarding how much a cruise costs along with whatever else needs to be spent to have a vacation......and my point was questioning the point of view of the travel agent.

Does anyone know what happens, if tips are removed, with the cash given to staff? There was a couple on my last voyage who insisted that they never take the easy way out and use the auto gratuities. Instead they pay cash to their servers. I am under the impression that in a case like this servers are required to hand in these cash tips if the autos have been removed. If autos have not been removed then servers are allowed to keep any extra $. Anyone know for sure?

IMHO: I love the tips being added to my account. I think it makes it easier and we always give extra to the servers and cabin stewards.

Terrible advise, we eat half our dinners in specialty and would never remove it for that, because of that we do not tip extra to waiters in MDR at end of the week. WE also always tip waiter in specialty restaurant .

Just my opinion......I HIGHLY doubt the TA, out of the clear blue sky, said "oh, by the way...go to customer service and remove the tips for the nights you don't go to the MDR". It makes WAY more sense to ME, that one of the people in the GROUP said "why should we pay tips on the nights we do not go to the MDR?" and THEN....the TA made the suggestion.