What I think separates Royal Caribbean apart.

What I think separates Royal Caribbean apart from other cruise lines simply is ship design.

Whether the ship design is better, however, is a very subjective matter. You've said previously that you like large ships, so RC's fleet would definitely appeal to you.

Whether the ship design is better, however, is a very subjective matter. You've said previously that you like large ships, so RC's fleet would definitely appeal to you.

Yes I am a "the larger the ship the better" guy.

And I am going to be the odd one out here........:D

We just got off Oasis on Saturday. First RCCL cruise. Normally Carnival cruisers.

While we LOVED our cruise and thought the ship was beautiful, it was just TOO BIG.

We felt such a huge disconnect with the water, we just didn't feel like we were on a cruise ship. And we had an oceanview balcony. That was the ONLY time we got to the see the water........Also, we felt ZERO movement. I love lying in bed at night and feeling the ship rock. NOTHING on this cruise. So weird.

We're going back to Carnival.

But we are happy we got to try Oasis out. Again, beautiful ship. Just not for us.:o

Interesting... I just had a wonderful week on the Allure of the seas. Now I can see if you are not looking for the ocean you could miss it... But come on really? We too had an ocean view balcony, sat out there a lot, room service breakfast every morning. But we did not stop there, did you fin the wonderful walking / running track on deck 5? Awesome views of the ocean there... How about the gym on deck 6? Treadmill every morning with an ocean view. And every night we were blessed with a window in the MDR and we saw the ...ocean.

How about on deck 6 in the back of the ship in the Boardwalk area? Just behind the aqua theater there is the shuffle board area and... The aft view of the ocean. We then walked around to the rock climbing walls and hey there is the ocean... What about Deck 15? We camped out a lot in the solarium and got lounge chairs with.... An ocean view! Then we walked to the back of the ship, looking at that beautiful ocean all the way to the flow riders where we turned around and saw the aft view of the... Ocean....

It was a large ship, but if offered so much to do. I guess to each his own, but if you did not see the ocean that was your fault....

We like any cruise line we sail on. But the diamond & concierge lounges for D, D+ & P cruisers is the best loyalty program in the mainstream cruising business, bar none.

The lounges entice us to often 're-up' on RCI cruises while on board.

But, the growing number of D, D+ & P cruisers is straining the capacity of the lounges on some ships, especially during happy hour before dinner.

Oasis class ships totally isolate you from the water. I wouldn't consider sailing on them without a substantial balcony (JS or above).

There isn'r really a large cruise ship out there (Royal included) that doesn't scream "floating tenement". We see them as attractive because we appreciate the wonderful vacation they offer. But they are all U.G.L.Y.!!!!

Which makes me chuckle because of your user name. Wasn't that the name of a beer that Molson had in the 70s-80s? I was a kid then but remember the beer caps from my childhood.

Molsonschooner is a combination of my 2 dogs names. Dw is a beer drinker. She named the dogs. Molson was an obvious choice as he is a golden retriever and DW used to drink Molson Golden. Schooner is a maritime beer(possibly bottled by Molsons). Both our sons were in Sea cadets. Schooner is also a type of boat. So Schooner seemed to fit for the second dogs name.

I am not a fan of the Royal Promenade design. And the view from the Deck 5 running track on Oasis can't hold a candle to the true Promenades found on Freedom and older classes of ships. Glimpsing the ocean in between lifeboats isn't enough for me! But I do love Central Park at night for a few hours of calm and good dining.

I am an RCI fan because of their crew. We are willing to pay the upcharge for the specialty restaurants, although we've had some surprisingly tasty meals in the MDR lately. We avoid stuffing ourselves by declining the bread (or only taking the end piece), only ordering 2 courses and splitting the appetizers. Really not hard to do.

But, other than on the small ships of Azamara, we haven't found a line where almost 100% of the crew are smiling, look you in the eye and greet you (along with providing excellent service). The less large the ship (RCI has no small ships), the better it is, IMO.

But, other than on the small ships of Azamara, we haven't found a line where almost 100% of the crew are smiling, look you in the eye and greet you (along with providing excellent service). The less large the ship (RCI has no small ships), the better it is, IMO.

I have to disagree that RCI does not have small ships. RCI has Empress of the Seas which I booked for her size. She is double the size of two past NCL ships and slightly larger than two other NCL ships we sailed up to 2003. However, I still consider her small in this current age of mass market ships.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by coaster

While we have yet to sail the Oasis Class, I can't say whether we would like this class or not, with one exception, I am not a fan of what I call the split design, but am willing to give them a try. We favor the mid size to Freedom Class. The only other cruise line we have been on is Princess and have had a wonderful experience with them, yet feel they are not as easy to navigate, also their rooms are smaller then RCCL and for the moment their prices have kept us from sailing with them.

Each Class has something to offer which is good since we are different in what appeals to us.

Not sure we'd want it THAT rough:D:D

We just all agreed that with ZERO movement, it didn't feel like we were on a cruise ship.

More like a floating mall/resort.....

But, again, gorgeous ship!:D

We are "loyal to Royal" and completed a cruise on Allure in March. It does feel like a floating mall/resort. Don't abandon cruising on Royal just because Oasis wasn't your thing. Royal has lots of other great options. Please try another ship before you write Royal off of your experiences.

There were good and bad things about Allure. I did feel the same sort of disconnect you describe, primarily because the ship is so inwardly focused. You do almost have to have an oceanview balcony or be by the pool to see the ocean. There is very little opportunity for viewing the sea from inside spaces.

Not sure I would choose to do Oasis or Allure again if it were just me and my husband, but with a family cruise, I would be willing to give them another try if that was what was selected.

On other hand, with Oasis moving to Port Canaveral, it will be a far more convenient option. I may end up loving Oasis for the convenience.

I've only been on 3 cruises and so far I like the open feeling of Royal best. When you are in the main area Atrium (vision of the seas) so many windows, bright and lots of chairs too, and feeling of being on a cruise. Pool deck was easy to see water from too. I loved the MDR food too. More choices than the following two also, IMO.

My carnival one I felt like I was in a large Purple and Pink nightclub. Not many windows and certainly not many places to sit where I could see the seas.

MSC Divina a mix between the 2. Nice atrium area but not real open to windows etc.

Learning they are all different and all have good and not so good points. I have 2 more cruise lines coming up to compare to also.

Molsonschooner is a combination of my 2 dogs names. Dw is a beer drinker. She named the dogs. Molson was an obvious choice as he is a golden retriever and DW used to drink Molson Golden. Schooner is a maritime beer(possibly bottled by Molsons). Both our sons were in Sea cadets. Schooner is also a type of boat. So Schooner seemed to fit for the second dogs name.

Great user name and the story behind it. For non-Canadians it might make no sense at all. Thanks for the explanation.

I have sailed on most of the main cruise lines (and some luxury lines) and what I thinks sets Royal Caribbean apart are the entertainment/activity/dining options available on the ship. I am thinking of the largest ships, but those large ships are what set Royal Caribbean apart from Carnival, Norwegian, Princess, Holland America, etc. There are just more options for almost everything--more places to eat and types of cuisine; a lot more entertainment options (water shows, ice shows, comedy shows, musicals, music acts, outdoor and 3D movies); and tons of things to do not seen on other lines (wave riders, rock climbing, zip lines (Oasis of the Seas), sky diving (Anthem of the Seas), observation capsule (Anthem of the Seas). None of the other cruises lines provides some many on-ship options; that what makes Royal Caribbean different than other lines.

In my opinion service and design are pretty much on par with most other lines. For me, MSC has the best interior design for its ships with Cunard the best outside design (particularly Queen Mary 2 as the world's only true classic ocean liner). In terms of service, everyone on Royal Caribbean does a great job (in my experience) but it can't really compete with the luxury lines, where service really sets them apart from the main cruise lines.

I have sailed on most classes of RCCL ships - the things that set them apart for me from Carnival (the only other cruise line I have sailed):

Artwork on board, dining options and food quality, kids club activities, entertainment, staff attentiveness

None of this is to say that I didn't enjoy Carnival. But the expression I've used to quickly describe and compare the two lines is this: Carnival is mainly a 3 star cruise line that has a few 4 star activities; Royal is a 4 star cruise line that occasionally hits the 5 star mark for me.

Rob

Great user name and the story behind it. For non-Canadians it might make no sense at all. Thanks for the explanation.

A bit more Canadiana:

Schooner Lager is brewed by Oland Brewery in Halifax and was named after the Bluenose II, whose likeness adorns the bottles and cans of the beer. The Bluenose II is a replica of the original fishing schooner Bluenose and was built in 1963 for roughly $300,000 (in 1963 Canadian dollars) as a marketing tool for Schooner Lager.

The original Bluenose was launched as a Grand Banks fishing and racing schooner on 26 March 1921 in Lunenburg, Nova Scotia. When she took home her first Fishermen's Trophy in October of 1921, the legend began. During the next 17 years, no challenger — American or Canadian — could wrest the trophy from Bluenose. She earned the title "Queen of the North Atlantic" and was well on her way to becoming a Canadian icon. The majestic image of the Bluenose has adorned the Canadian dime since 1937 and three postage stamps, as well as the Nova Scotia license plate.

The Bluenose II was sold to the government of Nova Scotia for $1 in 1971. It has visited ports around the world, welcoming visitors and serving as a constant link to the glorious age of sail.

Edited by Fouremco

I have to disagree that RCI does not have small ships. RCI has Empress of the Seas which I booked for her size. She is double the size of two past NCL ships and slightly larger than two other NCL ships we sailed up to 2003. However, I still consider her small in this current age of mass market ships.

I'd call her midsized.;) Practically a tender for Oasis, but she's a beast.

I have only sailed the Grandeur and loved the solarium pool design. the restaurants were average but the buffet was a little less. I found the entertainment much better than Carnival but not as good as NCL. I truly loved the service on the ship was not just pleasant and nice but really seemed genuine. I am looking forward to booking another RC cruise but I am having trouble finding comparative prices. As for the big ship i am giving in and will try the Breakaway, maybe the waterfront area will help but i know I love the smaller ships for their feel.

Just finished a cruise on FOS and think she is a beautiful ship. The food in MDR was excellent as was service around the ship.

I much prefer this size ship (or smaller) than the Oadis class which I do feel are far too big.

Yes I am going on the Allure again in December but I won the cruise playing poker so not going to refuse a trip on her! 😎

Just finished a cruise on FOS and think she is a beautiful ship. The food in MDR was excellent as was service around the ship.

I much prefer this size ship (or smaller) than the Oadis class which I do feel are far too big.

Yes I am going on the Allure again in December but I won the cruise playing poker so not going to refuse a trip on her! 😎

We love FOS too. I find the ships with Promenades are very easy to navigate. Doing our first Oasis class in October on Harmony. Not sure if we'll like a ship that big, but I feel like it's something we should do at least once, and I know we'll have a good time regardless. :)

A bit more Canadiana:

Schooner Lager is brewed by Oland Brewery in Halifax and was named after the Bluenose II, whose likeness adorns the bottles and cans of the beer. The Bluenose II is a replica of the original fishing schooner Bluenose and was built in 1963 for roughly $300,000 (in 1963 Canadian dollars) as a marketing tool for Schooner Lager.

The original Bluenose was launched as a Grand Banks fishing and racing schooner on 26 March 1921 in Lunenburg, Nova Scotia. When she took home her first Fishermen's Trophy in October of 1921, the legend began. During the next 17 years, no challenger — American or Canadian — could wrest the trophy from Bluenose. She earned the title "Queen of the North Atlantic" and was well on her way to becoming a Canadian icon. The majestic image of the Bluenose has adorned the Canadian dime since 1937 and three postage stamps, as well as the Nova Scotia license plate.

The Bluenose II was sold to the government of Nova Scotia for $1 in 1971. It has visited ports around the world, welcoming visitors and serving as a constant link to the glorious age of sail.

Thanks for this information

• 2 weeks later...