Performance of CCL stock….

JudithLynne

We do not own CCL stock. Actually, we know very little about stocks as we are invested in mutual funds. As we have just completed our 39th cruise, we are very much into cruising. We are enticed by the OBC offered by owning CCL stock. Is this, historically, a well performing stock? Would appreciate any information before making this purchase. Thanks so much…..

The shares pay .35 cents per share 4 times a year. Plus the OBC, which, of course varies by number and length of cruises. There are MANY threads here where the comments are almost always positive. The only negative seems to be some (like us) who bought relatively high, as opposed to many who bought relatively low.

If you are going to buy it, now is a good time. It is as low as I've seen it since I've been following it.

As to the stock in general....it has been rather flat this year but steadily gaining over the long term. It pays a decent dividend ($30 per $100 shares), and in addition you get the OBC for each cruise. It is $50 on cruises of 6 nights or less, $100 on a 7-13 night cruise up to $250 on longer cruises. If you are going to cruise much on any Carnival Corp product, this is a great benefit.

Would I buy it without the OBC? Likely not. With a couple cruises per year, it's lovely.

It's a good stock for those who cruise fairly often due to the shareholder's benefit for owning only 100 shares.

But there are far better investments for your retirement portfolio imho.

Mike:)

Hi,

I have owned Carnival Corporation stock for many years and have greatly enjoyed the onboard credit. I have received the credit on numerous Cunard, Holland America and Princess cruises. Note that Carnival Corporation allows you to combine this credit with other credits or discounts (this is not the case with Royal Caribbean, which is very restrictive with its credit). I have never been denied a credit from Carnival Corporation.

Chuck

I question the "far better" claim; for some investors, dividend yield and lower volatility than the market are actually important investment considerations. CCL has a beta of .86, meaning it swings about 14% less than the S&P 500 index. The 3% dividend yield currently isn't unattractive either. CCL ain't gonna make you rich unless your last name is Arison, but it's not a dog.

I'm very pleased with my annualized returns from my holdings, and think that $2700 worth of stock that has spun out more than its purchase price in OBC, plus paid a dividend yield, and increased in value every year is actually a good fit in my portfolio.

I question the "far better" claim; for some investors, dividend yield and lower volatility than the market are actually important investment considerations. CCL has a beta of .86, meaning it swings about 14% less than the S&P 500 index. The 3% dividend yield currently isn't unattractive either. CCL ain't gonna make you rich unless your last name is Arison, but it's not a dog.

I'm very pleased with my annualized returns from my holdings, and think that $2700 worth of stock that has spun out more than its purchase price in OBC, plus paid a dividend yield, and increased in value every year is actually a good fit in my portfolio.

Agree! We've recouped our capital outlay in OBC alone, not to mention price appreciation as well as dividends.

Today's news for those that haven't seen:

Carnival Corp. nearly triples 2Q profit to $605 million, while revenues rise (Link to article: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/business/tourism/fl-carnival-corp-2q16-earnings-20160628-story.html)

Like those above, I purchased 100 shares when the market was real low years ago. What I like about CCL is that the cruise lines under the umbrella allow the OBC to be combined with other discounts/offers. This isn't true of RCCL.

It only takes 100 shares to be eligible for the OBC. If you have a retirement account (i.e. 401K, IRA, Roth, etc.) you can trade some of your mutual shares for the purchase. That's what I did.

Edited by iluvcruzin

We bought 3 years ago at $34, the price today is >$44. Even with the current downswing, we could make money if we sold today. But, not gonna sell, we have more cruises to take first.

One more cruise and we will have our initial investment back in OBC, so when we do stop cruising:(, it will be all profit when we sell.

I bought my shares a long time ago when they were about $24.00 for one reason only cruising, not as a stock investment. I don't really care what they do as far as the market is concerned. 100 shares will never change my life. When we decide not to cruise anymore I will sell the shares. I've got more out of them with OBC and dividends then what they change in value.

My CCL stock has outperformed some of my other stocks but not all. After considering the OBC for the 11 Princess, Holland America, and Carnival cruises we have taken, its performance is even better. I set up my account with an online brokerage company five years ago. It was quick and easy to do. And having the dividends from CCL sitting in that brokerage account is what led me to buying some other stocks.

I'd recommend it for anyone who knows they'll be taking several CCL brand cruises. We're booked for our 12th since I bought the stock on a HAL ship in August, and I'm looking at booking another Princess cruise for December. After I retire in February, I'm hoping we can take at least four cruises a year--including some longer ones.

I have a question... I already have a Princess cruise booked and paid for (10day in October) if I bought the stock now can it still be applied?

Absolutely. You need to send them proof of ownership of the stock 90 days or fewer before cruising but at least 14 days before embarkation. Proof is your brokerage statement or other official form from the brokerage that holds your account.

As most others here have said, the OBCs make it worth it. My brother and I each purchased 100 shares some time ago and have a running joke about being titans of the cruise industry and wondering which of us will get the owner's suite on any particular cruise:D

I have a question... I already have a Princess cruise booked and paid for (10day in October) if I bought the stock now can it still be applied?

Yup! They don't want you to apply before about 90 days before the cruise, since they want ownership evidence from about that time interval.

Took about a week from mailing in my request until it posted to my September cruises. Most folks use fax to send it in.

Second other's recommendations to use a retirement account. My company had a "Self-Directed Account" where you could buy any stock. Dividends tax-free (at the time) and money I wasn't going to spend anyway.

Like others, I bought shares because we decided that Princess was a good fit for us. Eventually, we will get our investment cost returned.

We like the benefits of owning stock in the Carnival Corporation. For instance, we will get $250 OBC for our next cruise. Nice indeed :D

We also, for the same reason, got a Barclay's Princess card. Benefits - money game.

Like them, I want to get as much back as I can for my investment.:)

The shares pay .35 cents per share 4 times a year.

While I would definitely agree with your comments about the value of the stock for someone who cruises on any of the Carnival Corp. lines, I would question your statement that it pays that amount 4 times a year. This past quarter was the first quarter in over 3 years that it's been that high. Hopefullly, it'll continue to be that high (or even higher!) for a long time now. ;)

But a big advantage, as a couple of people have mentioned already, is the non-taxable benefit of getting the onboard credit! :D

Tom

While I would definitely agree with your comments about the value of the stock for someone who cruises on any of the Carnival Corp. lines, I would question your statement that it pays that amount 4 times a year. This past quarter was the first quarter in over 3 years that it's been that high. Hopefullly, it'll continue to be that high (or even higher!) for a long time now. ;)

But a big advantage, as a couple of people have mentioned already, is the non-taxable benefit of getting the onboard credit! :D

Tom

Most US companies do not raise and lower their dividends very often. They only raise the rate if they are confident they will be able to continue the rate. So I would expect the 35 cents to be paid in the coming quarters.

We finally saw the light and switched cruise lines to Princess with a few CCL side cruises. Luckily we purchased our 100 shares of stock in early 2009 when the stock market was in the trash can so we got a great deal on it. We view it not as an investment but as a provider of an endless amount of OBC not just on Princess but the other Carnival Corp lines. The stock dividend is nice also. The stock is part of our 401K. By the end of 2016 we will have received $650 OBC and the small dividend.

Most US companies do not raise and lower their dividends very often. They only raise the rate if they are confident they will be able to continue the rate. So I would expect the 35 cents to be paid in the coming quarters.

That may very well be true, but "expecting" something to happen is a lot different than saying that something "does" happen! ;)

Tom

After a few cruises on Princess and P&O (Australia) I discovered the benefits of owning CCL shares. Like others have stated, I initially purchased the shares for the OBC. I purchased the shares when the AUD$ was a lot higher against the USD$. With the re-adjustment of the AUD$, my investment has doubled in value plus the dividends being over AUD$40. :)