Is my luggage too big to carry on?

Lindalou76

I just purchased some new cruise luggage that I adore and do not want to check it, I'd much rather carry it on. In fact, I've never checked luggage, always prefer to keep it with me. It might sound vain but my cruise would be ruined if they lost my luggage or if it got left at the port so I do not like to take any chances. I know it rarely happens but it happened once to my mother in law so I'm always paranoid about that! lol Anyway, it is an inch or two bigger than the "recommended size" and i'm wondering how strict they are at the port and if they'll make me check it. It's 25x17x12. I really need this size but will take it back and get the smaller one if that's the only one I can carry on. Does anyone have any advice to offer? Thank you!!!

I just purchased some new cruise luggage that I adore and do not want to check it, I'd much rather carry it on. In fact, I've never checked luggage, always prefer to keep it with me. It might sound vain but my cruise would be ruined if they lost my luggage or if it got left at the port so I do not like to take any chances. I know it rarely happens but it happened once to my mother in law so I'm always paranoid about that! lol Anyway, it is an inch or two bigger than the "recommended size" and i'm wondering how strict they are at the port and if they'll make me check it. It's 25x17x12. I really need this size but will take it back and get the smaller one if that's the only one I can carry on. Does anyone have any advice to offer? Thank you!!!

Typically there are reasons for maximum sizes - mostly having to do with it fitting through the scanner at the terminal.

If it's too big,they may require you to check it through.

Correct, it will have to fit through the scanner. I'm hoping someone on here has taken a suitcase that size and can tell me if it fit through the scanner. lol This is what Carnival's website says:

Each suitcase should not weigh more than 50 pounds (22.68 Kilograms) and should not exceed 16 inches high x 24 inches wide, laying flat (40.64cm x 60.96cm); the length of the bag is not a factor.

I compared it to my old suitcase that I take on cruises...and across the top it is only 3" larger (i measured the old one at 13", new one at 16") and the width across the top was the same on each bag, right at 9" so maybe I will be safe. I'm just paranoid because at the Tampa terminal back in May I heard the porters convincing people to give up their bags by saying " that's too big, carnival will make you check it", when in reality I think they would have fit because they were the size of my new suitcase. Anyway, just looking for people who have taken larger bags I guess to ease my mind that it wouldn't be an issue because I've never taken a suitcase bigger than the small 21". Thanks :)

88b9ad2b72107cb01c85daea9a1e204f.jpg

Picture of my old pink suitcase next to my new one. It is quite a bit taller, but website said length did not matter.......

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Lindalou76

i understand... my dh feels the way you do, for years we took garment bags, even on airplanes... luggage restrictions have made that impossible. But we still can do garment bags when we go out of our home port, San Francisco. We have been told we could not carry them on by the door monitor and we simply say oh yes we can because we have done it in the past many times. When they realize you better than they do, then you can proceed.

We also pack all our dressy clothes in a carryon similar to you old suitcase, carry that on and check every thing else in another suitcase - so that is another approach. We do that when flying so we keep our dressy clothes with us.

That bag is never going on a domestic US (or most international) flights as a carry-on. You really need to be thinking bigger than driving to some Swamplandia port.

Flatbush Flyer: I will never use this suitcase on a flight. I realize it is WAY too big to check on an airplane. I live close enough to port to drive. I just want to be able to walk it on the ship instead of checking it.

Kamloops50: Lifting it definitely won't be a problem.

Thank you everyone else for the tips/advice as well :)

Do you believe it will fit in the "sizer" that determines if your carry-on is legal or not? If it fits without having to punch / sit / stand on it in order to get it in the confines of the sizer, then go for it. You do know, however, it won't fit in the overhead compartment of most airlines.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

Be prepared to check your bag.....that is much bigger than a carry on.

Once in Canaveral I thought I could carry on a bit larger bag. The porters told me I would need to check it, but I preceded to the terminal only to be turned around at the door to go back to the porters and check it.

Oh my....the walk of shame was not pretty for me.......:o:o:o

Edited by GTO-Girl

I'm not sure why people keep commenting on how this won't fit on a plane in the overhead......I have NO intentions of flying with this suitcase. I simply want to take it on the ship with me. If the carnival website says 16x24 and i take a tape measure to prove it is 16x10 (across the top) then can't I take it on with me? Doesn't make sense why they would tell me i have to check it. (At least it doesn't make sense to me, lol). I don't know for sure if it will fit, as I've never attempted to take a bigger suitcase. This will be my first time taking something over 21".

I don't prefer to take 2 suitcases because my husband is unable to assist me. We took 2 suitcases last time, and while I managed it's not something I will do again unless I'm left with no choice.

I suppose I can purchase the smaller suitcase that matches my new set and leave it in the car and worst case scenario if they deny me entrance with it I will take it back to the car, put all our stuff in 2 suitcases and deal with it like last time.

Thanks again for all the input.

I apologize, I just reread my original post and it seems to be a bit vague and I can understand the confusion of why some of you are commenting on it not fitting on a plane or through their security etc. For some reason I can't edit the original post, but if I could I would specify that I meant that I did not want to check it with a cruise porter, that I want to carry it straight onto the ship. I will not be flying with this luggage at all, so i'm not taking anything plane or airport related into consideration....just the cruise port and their scanners ect. Sorry for any miscommunication :)

Correct, it will have to fit through the scanner. I'm hoping someone on here has taken a suitcase that size and can tell me if it fit through the scanner. lol This is what Carnival's website says:

Each suitcase should not weigh more than 50 pounds (22.68 Kilograms) and should not exceed 16 inches high x 24 inches wide, laying flat (40.64cm x 60.96cm); the length of the bag is not a factor.

I compared it to my old suitcase that I take on cruises...and across the top it is only 3" larger (i measured the old one at 13", new one at 16") and the width across the top was the same on each bag, right at 9" so maybe I will be safe. I'm just paranoid because at the Tampa terminal back in May I heard the porters convincing people to give up their bags by saying " that's too big, carnival will make you check it", when in reality I think they would have fit because they were the size of my new suitcase. Anyway, just looking for people who have taken larger bags I guess to ease my mind that it wouldn't be an issue because I've never taken a suitcase bigger than the small 21". Thanks :)

A bag has three sides- height, length and width. The scanner can scan bags 16x24, two dimensions. As long as two of your bag's dimensions don't exceed the scanner's you'll be fine.

Basically a 26x13x9 bag will fit because two of the dimensions are less than 26x24. But a 24x24x24 box will not.

Edited by SadieN

A bag has three sides- height, length and width. The scanner can scan bags 16x24, two dimensions. As long as two of your bag's dimensions don't exceed the scanner's you'll be fine.

Basically a 26x13x9 bag will fit because two of the dimensions are less than 26x24. But a 24x24x24 box will not.

Sorry, I'm confused - OPs bag is 25x17x12. Carnival says dimensions must be (max size) 16 inches high x 24 inches wide.

It seems that 2 of her dimensions exceed the 16X24 size. Even if you use the smallest dimensions she has (17X12) one of them is still larger than allowed. Or what am I missing?

The bag is 25x17x12, however the website says length doesn't matter so the 25 is irrelevant. The 17 is smaller than 24 and the 12 is smaller than 16 is how I interpreted it. Again, I may be wrong as I've never taken a larger suitcase so I don't know for sure. Anyways, my husband says this is too much trouble and told me to buy the smaller suitcase in addition to what we already have. This way I will carry all my essentials in the smaller suitcase on the ship and just check the larger one with our "extras" if they insist!! Problem solved I suppose. Lol

Sorry, I'm confused - OPs bag is 25x17x12. Carnival says dimensions must be (max size) 16 inches high x 24 inches wide.

It seems that 2 of her dimensions exceed the 16X24 size. Even if you use the smallest dimensions she has (17X12) one of them is still larger than allowed. Or what am I missing?

Missing that the bag is a three dimensional object that will lay flat going thru the scanner. It'll go thru the scanner as a bag with the dimensions of 12 high x 17 wide x 25 long.

The 25" is when the bag is standing in its wheels. Bags lay flat when going thru the scanner.

Clear as mud;):D

OP's bag is 25x17x12

Scanner accepts 24x16x any length

Rearranging the dimensions

OP's bag is 17x12x25

Scanner is 24x16 x ???

Since the first two dimensions are smaller, the bag will fit thru when lying flat.

Another example

24x24x24 will not go thru because no dimension is less than or equal to 16.

Edited by SadieN

I recently carried on a 20x12x32 bag on Carnival in Galveston. When asked if I wanted to check it I replied "no thanks, it's only 20 inches wide" and kept going. No problem. However, I have since purchased a smaller bag as that was hard to handle.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

i'm wondering how strict they are at the port and if they'll make me check it. It's 25x17x12. I really need this size but will take it back and get the smaller one if that's the only one I can carry on. Does anyone have any advice to offer? Thank you!!!

Yes, it will fit.

Mine is 24 x 18 x 11 and it went through @ Port Everglades just fine.

Like a previous poster said, the check in agent asked if I wanted to check it, and I said no thanks, I like to get settled (and have a cocktail).

The new luggage is so light, and the spinner wheels so efficient, I can push it with one finger.

Go for it - I am a carry on convert now for anything 7 days or less. You will love being all settled in before muster, and without the "where's my bag" stress.

Off topic, but I am also a late-to-the-party convert to rolling up items and putting them in giant vacuum sealed Baggies. So easy, and it really does avoid wrinkles. !

I recently carried on a 20x12x32 bag on Carnival in Galveston. When asked if I wanted to check it I replied "no thanks, it's only 20 inches wide" and kept going. No problem. However, I have since purchased a smaller bag as that was hard to handle.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Because two of your measurements (20x12) were smaller than the 24x16 max.

I apologize, I just reread my original post and it seems to be a bit vague and I can understand the confusion of why some of you are commenting on it not fitting on a plane or through their security etc. For some reason I can't edit the original post, but if I could I would specify that I meant that I did not want to check it with a cruise porter, that I want to carry it straight onto the ship. I will not be flying with this luggage at all, so i'm not taking anything plane or airport related into consideration....just the cruise port and their scanners ect. Sorry for any miscommunication :)

the scanners at the cruise terminal are the SAME SIZE as airports so if an airline would make you check it, so will the cruise line. and unless you are planning on boarding later in the day,. you will have to schlep it with you until he cabins are released. ( typically after 1 pm) elevators will be CROWDED until hen.

the scanners at the cruise terminal are the SAME SIZE as airports so if an airline would make you check it, so will the cruise line. and unless you are planning on boarding later in the day,. you will have to schlep it with you until he cabins are released. ( typically after 1 pm) elevators will be CROWDED until hen.

Size of your bag on flights is determined by airline not airports, and size of bag that is allowed is determined by what can safely fit in overhead bins. On a cruise ship the bag size is determined by what can fit in scanner.

I myself usually bring on airline sized cases (cabin) with no issue, have a swimming suit on under clothing and slide the case under my sun lounger , no problem.

I believe you are incorrect. It is not the scanner that determines when you must check a bag, it is the airlines' sizer bin and measurements. The scanner dimensions are actually larger than the sizer bin; back a decade or so, one or two of the airlines had security place a template in front of the scanner entrance that matched their "requirement." Others complained that it unfairly restricted their bags on other airlines and those airlines also complained. The template was removed.

The scanner only limits width and depth - it does not limit length. Someone could theoretically have a bag that is 40x14x9 and it would fit through the scanner...