Live from the Oasis--Woman Threatens to Kill Security Guards and Family in MDR

Eve

He is an amazing man, and I'm glad that no one actively destroyed his future by filming him.

I wasn't being serious when I said I would film her. If a situation like that were to come up where a drunk person in the dining room was throwing silverware at other people, I would tackle that person to the ground and hold them there until security arrived.

I could care less about her future at that moment. I would only care about the innocent people around her that were in danger of being severely injured.

Edited by Yorkvillain

I'm so sorry. And I'm very glad he's sober now. My father never really got sober; at one point he simply stopped drinking, but never joined any program or really changed his verbal behavior (the physical abuse only came out when drinking, and I'm not sure he could have taken on his second wife, who is 10" taller than my mom was). 20 years later he started socially drinking again, and that seems to be OK, but it's not like he ever stopped being a "dry drunk". No amends, no nothing.

Yep to all of that.

I get the urge to do that, but you could actually destroy her life like that. She needs to hit rock bottom so she can come back up and create a new life. But if you destroy any possibility of a future by filming that bad moment (that might or might not be her rock bottom), you are eliminating her future. SHE has to hit rock bottom; you don't need to do that TO her.

One of my dear friends is a drugs/alcohol counselor whose husband hit rock bottom 20 years ago and is fabulously sober now. They met after he became sober. Their children have ONLY known him as a sober man. He has been able to rebuild his life.

If, during whatever it was that caused him to finally "get it", he had been filmed and shamed all over the world, how could he have rebuilt his life? How could he have created this beautiful family?

He is an amazing man, and I'm glad that no one actively destroyed his future by filming him.

"Security takes a very long time to arrive and seems more concerned with trying to placate the screaming woman than they are with removing her from the dining room."

That's what they are worried about.

It's called de-escalation....a little research won't hurt.....:rolleyes:.....K.O.

I wasn't being serious when I said I would film her. If a situation like that were to come up where a drunk person in the dining room was throwing silverware at other people, I would tackle that person to the ground and hold them there until security arrived.

I could care less about her future at that moment. I would only care about the innocent people around her that were in danger of being severely injured.

Sounds like a plan to me.....K.O.;)

And how do you know security took too long to arrive? For all you know they were there immediately and held back to see if she'd calm herself down

This!

Plus, when there is a crisis situation going on our sense of time changes dramatically. Things - like security or other help - arriving seems to take a lot longer. I can remember when I finally gave in and called 911 at 2am when I was having a pretty serious asthma attack - the first I'd had since I was a kid so I did not have an inhaler as the belief even with my doctor was that I'd outgrown it - and nothing that had worked when I was a kid to help my breathing was working. It seemed like it took the ambulance FOREVER to get there. But in reality it was only a few minutes.

One other thing to consider... Oasis is a really big ship. Unless there is a security officer stationed at every door or corner, they have to travel from wherever they are to get there. It could take a couple of minutes at least. Add to that time seeming to warp when a crisis is going on, and it probably did seem like a long time.

Main Seating: Obviously inebriated woman sitting in MDR at early seating began throwing silverware and yelling at family seated at adjacent table. F-bombs being screamed and the woman yells at the waitstaff that she's an executive with Intel.....

...probably not for long. ;)

Edited by leaveitallbehind

+1

I've seen it done on a Qantas A380 headed to LAX:

. cabin staff knelt down and looked up at irate noisy business class passenger and calmly asked him if he could keep the noise down as people were trying to sleep.

. pax continued to get louder and louder (DYKWIA)

. more and more senior cabin staff knelt at his feet and looked up at him (submissive position/actions)

. eventually chief purser gave an ultimatum and he settled down.

What he didn't see were the air marshals in each aisle next to my seat waiting to see whether he was going to stop. They were deliberately outside his line of sight. (Their presence initially gave me a bit of a fright!)

Once he had calmed down they 'melted away' back to somewhere in the plane.

On the subject of air marshals: in this case their identity was obvious by their actions but I have always looked (without success) to see if I could identify any in the airport or on the plane. Always hoped they would be flying with me! Any tricks to IDing them?

On the subject of air marshals: in this case their identity was obvious by their actions but I have always looked (without success) to see if I could identify any in the airport or on the plane. Always hoped they would be flying with me! Any tricks to IDing them?

The key to their success is to NOT be identified.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Lets keep in mind when the crap hits the fan, the call to security doesn't go out right away. More than likely the dining staff tried to deescalate the situation first and then called for help when it didn't work. Also remember that time perception can be distorted during stressful, ugly, or excitable moments. Just saying sometimes it seems like a long time before incidents like these are brought under control when actually they're not.

Edited by Big_G

Here's an interesting thought....

Can you dial 911 from your cell phone when on a ship and will it go to the bridge? I know at home, it goes to the closest 911 dispatch.

Edited by chermilo

I wish I'd been there....not because I really wanted to see it, or would have done anything differently...just because that would mean I was currently on Oasis. :D

You have love to the DYKWIA crowd! New thread: "Best Answers to the Question: Don't You Know Who I Am?"

1.) I don't now, but the whole world will as soon as I post this video of you making an a$$ of yourself.

2.) I'm sure you're famous in your village, but this particular location has more than one idiot.

3.) The woman who's about to be fired for the black eye you just gave the company.

4.) Someone who obviously needs a new publicist.

5.) No, but I'm hoping you earn enough for bail money.

The best response I've seen to this is "Excuse me everyone does anyone know this person is, they seem to have forgotten who they are"

Main Seating: Obviously inebriated woman sitting in MDR at early seating began throwing silverware and yelling at family seated at adjacent table. F-bombs being screamed and the woman yells at the waitstaff that she's an executive with Intel and has two suites on the ship. Waitstaff attempts to contain her at which time she begins screaming that she will kill them and her family members if they don't leave her alone. Waitstaff begins scurrying to collect knives and silverware from all the tables in the area. Security takes a very long time to arrive and seems more concerned with trying to placate the screaming woman than they are with removing her from the dining room. Woman is led away screaming and security is overheard saying she will be turned over to the Sherriff's Deputies upon arrival in FLL in the morning. Guessing she's spending the night in the pokey.

Entire incident caused me to question the efficiency of security on the Oasis.

Alcohol and other issues, not good.

you guys, she's obviously elite platinum. It's a shame when the peasants don't recognize us rich important folk. Clearly the only way to make them understand our status in society is to throw a drunken tantrum.

Granny's back!:d

Edited by iheartbda

A moment to post our observation of security on the Liberty last month:

In the solarium pool, a guy had his MP3 player going. The folks we were with were all enjoying it, is good songs, not stupidly loud, but an hour or so in to it security told him it had to go.

Everyone in the pool booed. But that should have been the end of it. But this guy got marginally confrontation with the guard, and he lost his support (except from the thong clad blonde with him).

20 mins later the head of security was called and he said he could continue to MP3 - at a lower volume.

We and others in the pool thought this was a bad move for the boss to undermine his staff like that...

Funny thing was, 1.5 songs later the couple got bored and left with their MP3 player.

I think that a vacation situation differs some from real life. Security caving as they did - probably because whoever complained was long gone - probably was the right move because it didn't really set a precedent as everyone is new next week.

So on the whole, we thought security handled it exactly right.

Thanks for the post OP - had forgotten about the whole thing and you stirring our memory gave us a good laugh!

Edited by nealstuber

Well, isn't every person who cruises famous after a couple drinks of alcohol?

Well at least in their own mind.:eek:

Okay, not being sarcastic, but alcohol does have a big part in social situations.

The more you drink................well..................the more that could happen.

Thank God I travel with the DH.

One drink an hour I am very social.

Two drinks an hour, put me to bed...............to sleep

Three drinks......................."clean up on deck 17"

Just saying.

For me better to just drink slow so I do not make a fool of myself.

Just saying

SUE.....you must have seen me after the 3rd drink.....not attractive and a major buzzkill!!!:eek:

Yes, we all know it is in the best interest of customer service and legal to attempt to calm folks down.....however, maybe cruise lines need a new waiver with specific verbiage indicating that if you "threaten" staff, passengers, etc....security has the right to immediately attain you and remove you from the premises. Was the situation left to the dinning room staff try to calm the drunk as security viewed from afar? I guess you either look at a situation like this as dinning entertainment, or you don't wait for the person to settle down or for security to step in and you remove yourself from the dinning room for your own safety. Sounds a bit dramatic, but this world is now a very sad and crazy place.

Edited by Scootch

Yes, we all know it is in the best interest of customer service and legal to attempt to calm folks down.....however, maybe cruise lines need a new waiver with specific verbiage indicating that if you "threaten" staff, passengers, etc....security has the right to immediately attain you and remove you from the premises. Was the situation left to the dinning room staff try to calm the drunk as security viewed from afar? I guess you either look at a situation like this as dinning entertainment, or you don't wait for the person to settle down or for security to step in and you remove yourself from the dinning room for your own safety. Sounds a bit dramatic, but this world is now a very sad and crazy place.

They don't need a waiver to "immediately attain (sic) you and remove you from the premises", but good policing dictates that, whenever possible, de-escalation is the preferred option. Sounds to me like they handled the situation appropriately.