what will Holland America do when the Prinsendam turns 30 ?

What will Holland America do when the Prinsendam turns 30 years old ? Will they spend the money to do various repairs and upgrades? On a side note Viking Ocean Cruises has 2 already plus 4 ordered small ships. Hay Holland America how about building 2 small ships.

Edited by we're sailing away....

She is always on sale. No bidders yet but be assured they will sell.

Best thing about her is the smaller ports she can stop in BUT bigger ships with more stores, fancy restaurants, and bars make more money. and profit is the objective!!

The Prinsendam is actually the most profitable ship per passenger in the fleet!

Of course her smaller size limits how much profit is made overall but she is a very profitable ship for the line.

Sadly, I suspect HAL will not replace her when she finally goes. No crystal ball of course, but HAl's direction seems to be the bigger ships.

Rumor has it that a Seabourn ship will be replacing

the Prinsendam when the time comes.

How do you figure?

Seabourn's old ships were acquired by Windstar and their new ships are all still very new. Likely to be in service 20 years or more under Seabourn's brand.

How do you figure?

Seabourn's old ships were acquired by Windstar and their new ships are all still very new. Likely to be in service 20 years or more under Seabourn's brand.

I agree that transferring a Seabourn ship seems unlikely for the same reason. I would love to see HAL use the Encore model to build a ship adapted to HAL needs and the market the Prinsendam currently serves.

I don't think it's likely but would love to see it.

Roy

HAL has said they will never do the World on a Vista or larger ship, so they'll need a couple of smaller ships to continue the World and Grand Med and S. America cruises.

These could be two of the R class, I suppose, but it seems that HAL will be selling them off, too.

Stay tuned! It will be interesting what happens.

HAL has said they will never do the World on a Vista or larger ship, so they'll need a couple of smaller ships to continue the World and Grand Med and S. America cruises.

These could be two of the R class, I suppose, but it seems that HAL will be selling them off, too.

Stay tuned! It will be interesting what happens.

The 2 "flagships" Amsterdam and Rotterdam are 16 and 20 years old respectively.

Statendam and Ryndam were both 23 but weren't kept up as well as R class has been. Given the aft pool situation I trust it would be Amsterdam that continues to be the World Cruise ship. (Zaandam and Volendam just don't have that same feel as Amsterdam... but that pair is relatively the same ages.)

I could see HAL getting a smaller ship transferred from within Carnival Corp or acquiring a ship - but unlike smoking, dress code, Koningsdam's promenade and library and so many other topics that are beat to death on here I won't go into detail for the umpteenth time on why a new ship is so entirely not practical.

Unless HAL plans on acquiring new(er) small tonnage, there will come a day they have no choice but to either discontinue the world cruise product or put a Vista Class or larger on the course. That size ship can pretty easily fill for a world cruise. Costa does it with Luminosa, Cunard does it with ALL THREE of their ships actually... OR they could take a totally different approach and not offer one. Celebrity doesn't and is thriving just fine. It MAY even make the World Cruise get fuller when it goes out since the additional balconies, etc would likely help bring down the per stateroom price and yet they could still come out ahead. If I had the means, I would much prefer a Vista/Signature/Pinnacle class ship for a world cruise.

Edited by InTheWASide

And, they charge a significantly higher per diem for Prinsendam.

Which I gladly pay.

We were on the post dry dock cruise and depending on who was talking they said HAL spent $12-14mm on the dry dock. I have to believe that indicates they will keep her in service for at least a few more years. After that who knows. I am fairly certain in ten years we will be sailing a different line to continue to enjoy smaller ships.

Another possibility would be to transfer the Pacific Princess after the arrival of the new Princess Cruises Royal-Class in 2019. The 2017 delivery of the Majestic Princess is now slated for the China market. The Pacific Princess is 11 years younger than the Prinsendam and about 8,000 tons lighter. $12-14M for a dry dock is not that much considering the upkeep required and amount of equity. The Prinsendam is still shown for sale for $100M.

I believe that it will be a case of a transfer rather than new-build. An example is the Ryndam and Statendam to P&O Australia with Adonia (former Royal Princess) to Fathom. Princess also sold the sister ship Tahitian/Ocean Princess this year to Oceania. Oceania reportedly spent $40M on refurbishment.

Another possibility would be to transfer the Pacific Princess after the arrival of the new Princess Cruises Royal-Class in 2019. The 2017 delivery of the Majestic Princess is now slated for the China market. The Pacific Princess is 11 years younger than the Prinsendam and about 8,000 tons lighter. $12-14M for a dry dock is not that much considering the upkeep required and amount of equity. The Prinsendam is still shown for sale for $100M.

I believe that it will be a case of a transfer rather than new-build. An example is the Ryndam and Statendam to P&O Australia with Adonia (former Royal Princess) to Fathom. Princess also sold the sister ship Tahitian/Ocean Princess this year to Oceania. Oceania reportedly spent $40M on refurbishment.

I also think it may be a transfer in. HAL has a 30-year useful life on its ships, and the Prinsendam is nearing this. A new build replacement would be on order by now.

I also think that HAL may simply retire the class. Unlike others on this forum, I do not believe that the P is the most profitable. It seems counter intuitive to me to invest in new larger classes of ships sailing with 2650+ passengers if your most profitable class is less than 40,000 tonnes. Why not just build more ships at this class?

What will Holland America do when the Prinsendam turns 30 years old ? Will they spend the money to do various repairs and upgrades? On a side note Viking Ocean Cruises has 2 already plus 4 ordered small ships. Hay Holland America how about building 2 small ships.

If you to Boats.com you'll see the Prinsendam for sale for 100 million$'s also the Veendam for 150..

It seems counter intuitive to me to invest in new larger classes of ships sailing with 2650+ passengers if your most profitable class is less than 40,000 tonnes. Why not just build more ships at this class?

Just because Prinsendam is the most profitable of the SMALL ships, doesn't mean it's the most profitable in the fleet

I also think it may be a transfer in. HAL has a 30-year useful life on its ships, and the Prinsendam is nearing this. A new build replacement would be on order by now.

I also think that HAL may simply retire the class. Unlike others on this forum, I do not believe that the P is the most profitable. It seems counter intuitive to me to invest in new larger classes of ships sailing with 2650+ passengers if your most profitable class is less than 40,000 tonnes. Why not just build more ships at this class?

Just because Prinsendam is the most profitable of the SMALL ships, doesn't mean it's the most profitable in the fleet

Exactly InTheWASide. As one of those that said it was the most profitable - I did say PER PASSENGER. That doesn't make it the most profitable in the fleet but it is a profitable ship ;)

Would you mind providing the source of this assertion? I have been trying for some time now to get further financial information on all of Carnival Corp's brands for investment purposes and have been told that it cannot be released. If you have a source regarding individual ships that would be most helpful.

if I was inclined gfto do a WC whi ch I am not, Maasadam would be mychofice ofship if Noordam was g theship, I'd b e a happy cruiser. I have no wish to do WC.

Edited by sail7seas

Exactly InTheWASide. As one of those that said it was the most profitable - I did say PER PASSENGER. That doesn't make it the most profitable in the fleet but it is a profitable ship ;)

Would you mind providing the source of this assertion? I have been trying for some time now to get further financial information on all of Carnival Corp's brands for investment purposes and have been told that it cannot be released. If you have a source regarding individual ships that would be most helpful.

Not IntheWAYSide, but my source on the information I posted came from two chats with two different captains on two different Prinsendam cruises and a chat with a staff captain on the other. Prinsendam also remains the ship with the highest repeat passenger ratio in the fleet. Again, according to them.

That'll be on 26 Nov 2018

If you to Boats.com you'll see the Prinsendam for sale for 100 million$'s also the Veendam for 150..

Always breaks my heart to see that but after at least 7 years for the P'dam being up for sale (1st noticed this in 1999), have now figured she will stay with HAL for a long time, especially as they continue to put big money into her upkeep.

May she sail a LONG time yet.