Can princess upgrade your cabin without your permission????

portcbob

Hi princess cruisers.

We are in a mini suite for our upcoming cruise. We just paid our finals this morning and our t/a told us that princess can change/upgrade our stateroom without asking us first. We are presently just forward of aft and we are a little concerned if this is right they could?? Move us to the front of the ship where we don't want to be.

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers bob.

Hi princess cruisers.

We are in a mini suite for our upcoming cruise. We just paid our finals this morning and our t/a told us that princess can change/upgrade our stateroom without asking us first. We are presently just forward of aft and we are a little concerned if this is right they could?? Move us to the front of the ship where we don't want to be.

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers bob.

Have your TA mark your booking "No upgrades". She or he should know this.

Princess can "upgrade" you at their discretion. There have been numerous reports of those who have indicated "no upgrades" still being upgraded. Having your booking marked "no upgrade" only tells Princess that you would not like to be upgraded.

Princess can "upgrade" you at their discretion. There have been numerous reports of those who have indicated "no upgrades" still being upgraded. Having your booking marked "no upgrade" only tells Princess that you would not like to be upgraded.

Which is why it is a really good idea to check your e-mail account for e-mails from Princess and/or check your cruise details on the Princess website for any cabin changes. If a change happens and you don't want it, the sooner you call Princess to get it reversed the more likely you will be able to get your original cabin back.

BTW, it is more likely these days that you might be offered an "Up-sell offer" rather than a "free Upgrade".

Edited by ar1950

Hi princess cruisers.

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers bob.

I would love it if they forced a suite on me. :eek:

An "upgrade" indicates that you would be getting a BETTER cabin than what you paid for. Since you booked a forward aft mini, the only better cabin would be a suite or a mini that's a higher category (a more midship location). You wouldn't be upgraded to a forward cabin, unless it was a suite.

Edited by JF - retired RRT

Hi princess cruisers.

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers bob.

You have to mark your reservation no upgrades.

Which is why it is a really good idea to check your e-mail account for e-mails from Princess and/or check your cruise details on the Princess website for any cabin changes. If a change happens and you don't want it, the sooner you call Princess to get it reversed the more likely you will be able to get your original cabin back.

BTW, it is more likely these days that you might be offered an "Up-sell offer" rather than a "free Upgrade".

I was moved to the Window Suite next to the Handicapped Accessible Window Suite which I'd reserved. The TA sorted it out, and I'm hoping that no one needing a wheelchair will want the Window Suite on my cruise-I need the grab rails for balance.

You can also have it marked "meta upgrade only" which indicates you only want an upgrade if it's from one category of cabin to another -not to a different category of the same cabin type.

I was moved to the Window Suite next to the Handicapped Accessible Window Suite which I'd reserved. The TA sorted it out, and I'm hoping that no one needing a wheelchair will want the Window Suite on my cruise-I need the grab rails for balance.

Normally if you have a balcony cabin they won't upgrade you to a cabin without one.

Don't be too concerned, all of the Window Suites have grab rails fitted afaik on Golden. I have seen them in F303, F307 and F311.

An "upgrade" indicates that you would be getting a BETTER cabin than what you paid for. Since you booked a forward aft mini, the only better cabin would be a suite or a mini that's a higher category (a more midship location). You wouldn't be upgraded to a forward cabin, unless it was a suite.

Not true! We were on Caribe and got "upgraded to deck under Lido" (Aloha)! F'ing nightmare. Upgraded to right under MUTS? Chairs scraping the deck, people clopping back and forth. I hated it! Ever since NO UPGRADE! There will be hell to pay if they did that to me.:mad: F bombs would fly - that's for sure!

Hi

Got moved once we boarded, got to cabin and was told not to un pack,

after sailing was given another cabin, as they wanted to take a block of cabins

out of use for maintenance, got moved from inside to outside so was happy,

yours Shogun

My brother had his inside cabin. We were traveling with a group so I had made up "phone books" for everyone. Their name, cabin number and phone number. He got to the check in and told they had moved him one cabin over. Basically they reversed the two. No reason. He asked the other cabin if they had requested it. Nope, they just switched the two around. A real pain for them as everyone in our group kept calling the wrong cabin.

You can also have it marked "meta upgrade only" which indicates you only want an upgrade if it's from one category of cabin to another -not to a different category of the same cabin type.

This is what we've done every since we got "upgraded" from an aft Caribe balcony to a mid-ship Baja closer to elevators. We always book aft Caribe away from the elevators for a reason :rolleyes:

Hi princess cruisers.

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers bob.

As the others have said, be sure your cabin is marked as "no upgrade" or "meta upgrade only". If you use a travel agent, I would still recommend you contact Princess directly to verify it as we got moved one time, and the TA said they told Princess to mark it that way.

Princess decides what rooms they consider a higher category than others, based on location, etc. We booked a mini-suite on Baja, in the very front, with a fully covered balcony. That is always my first choice as like the motion of the ocean.

The mini's on Dolphin deck in the back of the ship, were a higher category, as have a larger balcony, partially covered and that is where they up and moved us too. Most probably consider that an upgrade, although it was a major downgrade to us as don't like those balconies.

Now, we pick the room we want, flag it as "no upgrade" and hope they don't move us.

As others have stated, have your TA mark your reservation as "do not upgrade". In most cases, you will be fine. There is a chance, some would say remote, that you are asked to move to a different cabin by the cruiseline. This has never happened to us in 18 cruises, but apparently it can happen.

On this cruise coming up we had booked an oceanview. About 2 months before final payment we were upgraded to a balcony on mid aft Rivera deck. We were sent an email that said we had 48 hours to reply if we did NOT want the upgrade. Well....we kept it! I love it!! :D

Not true! We were on Caribe and got "upgraded to deck under Lido" (Aloha)! F'ing nightmare. Upgraded to right under MUTS? Chairs scraping the deck, people clopping back and forth. I hated it! Ever since NO UPGRADE! There will be hell to pay if they did that to me.:mad: F bombs would fly - that's for sure!

Wow, somebody's got their panties in a bind. What fare category was your original cabin, and what fare category was the upgraded cabin?

That's the point: Princess has no way of knowing your preferences. To them, it's all about the categories: lower category to higher category is an upgrade, higher category to lower category is a downgrade, PERIOD. I use that logic when picking a cabin. Take the Ruby for example: we usually book a mini-suite, and prefer to be at least mid-ship if not further forward. If we pick a full-forward mini-suite (category ME), we could get upgraded to MD (mini full aft), MB (mini mid-aft or mid-fwd), MA/M1 (mini mid), or a suite. We prefer to be mid-ship or forward, so ME leaves us at risk for aft or mid-aft, so if we book it, we mark it no-upgrades (perhaps meta-upgrade?). Now, if we booked a mid-forward mini (MB), the only upgrade options are MA/M1 (mid mini) or suite, so if we go there, I absolutely mark the booking upgrade eligible. Sure, there are some suites that are in what we'd consider less-than-ideal conditions, but not enough to warrant missing the upgrade.

With so many balcony cabins on many ships, you've got to look at the options and decide what would work for you.