Would cruise lines store a lot of different types of medication?

Kosi

Say on the off chance I forgot my beta blocker.. -which if you stop taking can make you have an irregular heart beat..would cruise lines store that type medications in their medical department?

I'm not sure how much they would stock, but you can call the medical needs department of the cruiseline and find out. I sent them an email ( address given to me when I phoned ) and they checked with the specific ship and got back to me. Always better safe than sorry I say. Happy cruising!

Unlikely. Think of the cruise line's medical facility as an urgent care clinic. They'll have some basic antibiotics and pain meds on hand, they can stabilize broken bones and organize blood transfusions if truly necessary, but mainly they get the passenger stabilized until they get to the nearest port.

What can, and does happen if you forget a medication is that you find a pharmacy in port (or, if you arrived a day ahead of time you thank your lucky stars that you have time to figure this out before the cruise starts) and figure out how to get your prescription. Often, medications that require a prescription in the US pharmacists in other countries can legally distribute without a prescription. Sometime a doctor's visit is necessary. Either way, it's going to take some real time away from your vacation.

Rule number one when I travel and when my patients did. DO NOT forget to take your medications with you. Always hand carry them and consider taking 2-3 extra days worth in the event of delays. Expecting the ship to stock the broad variety of meds that a full scale pharmacy does is very dicey.

I always think about what is replaceable and what is not. Medications are often quite variable and I would not count on a cruise line to have what you might need

Several years ago when DD was in Pharm school, she toured the "sick bay" with the ship's physician. She was impressed by their stock of pharmaceuticals. IIRC, she was comparing it to an ER, not a retail setting.

Cruise Ship Medical Facilities generally stock the bare bones basic such as medications for gastro-intestinal and cardiovascular issues; respiratory problems; infectious diseases; eyes; ears, noses and throats; and urinary tract, as well as vaccines. Even if you're luck enough that ship stocks beta-blockers it might not be the brand and dosage you require. Besides the cost will be exorbitant. Bottom line - pack all medications first in a carryon bag.

Edited by xxoocruiser

The cruise ships couldn't hope to stock tons of various medications. They are not a drug store.

I keep an updated list of all medications that we need to take on vacations. About 2 weeks before we leave I count out what we need plus at least 5 extra days of supplies. And since we have no choice but to fly, all prescriptions are kept in their original bottles.

It isn't hard to type up a list and print it out.

I'm having a hard time believing someone could forget a medication like that.

Insulin would be another medication that is hard to imagine forgetting.

But I can see someone losing the meds on vacation.

My sister in laws BP medicine was left at home on a cruise to Bermuda. The clinic on the Dawn was able to replace it for $60 for 7 pills. She's never forgotten it since.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

One of my asthma inhalers failed on a long cruise, and the ship's Doctor wrote a prescription and the nurse got off the ship and had it filled for me in the next port of call. I also had an asthma attack and they did have a nebulizer treatment.

I'm having a hard time believing someone could forget a medication like that.

Insulin would be another medication that is hard to imagine forgetting.

My DH packed his medications him self, some how did not include his blood pressure medication atrip few years back. He is 82. And I did not have a list of his medications...

From that point, I now double check what he packs and always update his medication list and carry it in my wallet. I make sure I have the generic name of medications... so that if some how we lost medications, when in port I could go to a pharmacy and see if I could obtain the medications to get us through the trip. I would guess if necessary a pharmacy could ref us to a local doctor to write a script. That is a Plan B.

leia,

I

I keep an updated list of all medications that we need to take on vacations.

I've gone one better with the list. I now take the typed list and email it to myself. All I have to do is look up the email and show it to them. If need be, I can always forward a copy to the doctor. I still have a copy of the written one though.

I had never thought about packing extra days worth of pills until a friend of mine got stranded for more than a week in Japan when air traffic came to a screeching halt after 9/11. Now I bring at least an extra week's worth if I am flying back from overseas.

Several years ago when DD was in Pharm school, she toured the "sick bay" with the ship's physician. She was impressed by their stock of pharmaceuticals. IIRC, she was comparing it to an ER, not a retail setting.

Hmmmm, here is someone thats says their daughter has personally seen the variety of medications on board. but yet so many people speak from no experience what so ever of what is available.

Why do so many people answer a question without personal experience, but rather by what they “think”????

Makes some one wonder.:confused:

The cruise ships couldn't hope to stock tons of various medications. They are not a drug store.

I keep an updated list of all medications that we need to take on vacations. About 2 weeks before we leave I count out what we need plus at least 5 extra days of supplies. And since we have no choice but to fly, all prescriptions are kept in their original bottles.

Why type a list? Just ask your pharmacist for a "med history" (also referred to as a "back panel" by some pharmacies). The best versions of these have more identifying info than the original containers (including your ID, MD, med name/dose/description (or picture), etc.

BTW, if you are flying, TSA recommends but does not/cannot require that you use original containers.

Hmmmm, here is someone thats says their daughter has personally seen the variety of medications on board. but yet so many people speak from no experience what so ever of what is available.

Why do so many people answer a question without personal experience, but rather by what they “think”????

Makes some one wonder.:confused:

Well I've been though a medical centre too, and I'd say my GP has more drugs in his surgery than they had on the ship. A very limited range and a very limited supply.

Very interesting responses.. plus I learned a thing or two. I asked this cause last week I left behind my beta blocker meds when we went to our lake house.. (first time I ever did this..traveling any where) I skipped it one day, and we left earlier than we would have.

Thanks !