Do you register your trip with the US State Dept?

celebrity

We register all of our overseas trips, cruises or not, with the US State Department's STEP program.

https://step.state.gov/step/

Hopefully it will never be needed, but in times like these, we think it is a prudent measure.

These are the benefits of registration, from the STEP website:

+ Receive important information from the Embassy about safety conditions in your destination country, helping you make informed decisions about your travel plans.

+ Help the U.S. Embassy contact you in an emergency, whether natural disaster, civil unrest, or family emergency.

+ Help family and friends get in touch with you in an emergency.

ps - registering a month before your travel is definitely not too early.

We register all of our overseas trips, cruises or not, with the US State Department's STEP program.

https://step.state.gov/step/

Hopefully it will never be needed, but in times like these, we think it is a prudent measure.

These are the benefits of registration, from the STEP website:

+ Receive important information from the Embassy about safety conditions in your destination country, helping you make informed decisions about your travel plans.

+ Help the U.S. Embassy contact you in an emergency, whether natural disaster, civil unrest, or family emergency.

+ Help family and friends get in touch with you in an emergency.

ps - registering a month before your travel is definitely not too early.

We always do this when we leave the country whether cruising or not. On our last trip to Europe we got emails from STEP with updates and info about possible places to avoid, etc. It's free and in this day and age, why not?

We always do this when we leave the country whether cruising or not. On our last trip to Europe we got emails from STEP with updates and info about possible places to avoid, etc. It's free and in this day and age, why not?

You bring up a good point: Why Not!

Thanks, LuLu

Absent some emergency, the helpful thing we find about the State Dept STEP program are the emails you receive from the countries you are planning to visit. These emails will give the the latest advisories as to what may be going on in the country that might impact your visit.

A word of warning for those interested in setting up a travel notification... the first time, it is a little clunky. You may find you are having to re-enter information for multiple locations where you will be visiting. Sometimes you might not have an address in the city you will be visiting (such as a port call). In that case, I just list the cruise ship as my residence.

As someone else mentioned, it is FREE. Just takes a bit of time to complete.

My wife and I would like to meet other seniors who are travelling as a single couple to join together for off ship excursions. We are mainly concerned about safety at the various locations.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

There are various forums on Cruise Critic. Here is a link to your specific cruise. You should re-post your request on the following thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2144634

Planning on doing so on my upcoming Med cruise.

Is it too early for a trip next month?

Thoughts?

If I were going to be in the same country for a week or more I might register my trip. But for a cruise that spends less than a day in each port, and sometimes less than a day in a country, I wouldn't bother registering my trip.

Had a coworker who's husband is required to notify the State Department every time he leaves the country. Must tell them where he is going, the dates he will be there and the reason for his trip. Depending on where he is going, he might have to check in periodically. Of course, he retired five years ago and was a special forces officer and the highest possible security clearance. They have a special needs child so his wife would get a 48 hour notice (if possible) on when he might be leaving so they could make care arrangements if needed, but she never knew anything else.

Other than him, I have not encountered anyone who tells the State Dept. where they are going.

Edited by TC1957