Opinions on Neptune Suite?

VintageGeo

Hi. We just accepted an upsell today on our Aug 28th first cruise. We're now in Neptune suite 7057 on the Noordam. We've been watching this forum for months now, and if we've learned anything about cruising from you good people it's that we have sooo much to learn. Well, guess you can't beat the classroom :D

So, does anyone have experience with this suite? Would anyone be willing to share their favorite reasons for sailing in a Neptune suite? Any tips for some raw newbies?

Our thanks to all of you for sharing your experiences and knowledge. You truly do help smooth the way for others.

George and Lori.

Last year we had a Neptune suite just a few doors away from the one you have booked. I note that you are directly opposite the starboard entrance to the Neptune Lounge which is very convenient. It was our first Neptune suite and our first HAL voyage in 41 years.

I can't give one favourite aspect of the Neptune suite. We particularly enjoyed the following: preferred check-in and boarding (we have no status with HAL and never will have); the suite itself which is twice the size of a standard balcony stateroom; the Neptune Lounge with its various refreshments; the laundry service at no charge; and being able to have a quiet breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill.

Have always sailed in these suits and find the crew and the suits very to our liking, There is nothing that is more secure as to having all your problems handled in a most rewarding manner [ have had a few minor problems] but it is the only way to sail, The crew is well trained to make sure your cruise is perfect. Its like you are a member of a royal family:) All the perks are great as noted on the Hal web site. Enjoy your upgrade but beware you will never want to sail without being in one:eek:

Mom and I talked our way into an upsell to a Neptune Suite on the Volendam this May. Last year we had a regular balcony cabin on the Noordam (nothing to sneeze at). My favorite thing about the Neptune Suite was the big L shaped couch. We were sailing Alaska's inside passage, so it's all about beautiful scenery all the time. In the regular cabin there was one comfy chair and one little desk chair. Mom and I would joke about whose turn it was to sit in "the" chair and look out. In the suite, we could both stretch out on the couch and see out the windows and balcony doors. Much more comfortable.

Also I could not imagine a use for a concierge. Turns out he came in very handy exchanging inconvenient preassigned explore four dinner reservations for days and times we wanted.

On the Noordam in a balcony cabin, every time I requested a table for two I got much static and resistance from the dining room manager. We often got directed to a shared table, a misery for my Mom who is hard of hearing. As Neptune Suite guests on the Volendam, we were ushered to a table for two by the window that became ours for the week. I don't know if this is a difference in dining room managers, cabin categories, or my increasing willingness to insist, but it sure was nice.

Enjoy your splurge!

Vicki

We had that room the last time we were on the Noordam. We intentionally booked it for its convenient proximity to the Neptune Lounge. It's a great location. IMHO, you can't beat it.

Once you have sailed in a Neptune Suite and have been spoiled -- you will always want to be in one.

There are 2 concierges -- sometime both are on duty at the same time.

You also have priority for tender ports -- Just go down to the gangway and get in line -- show your Gold ID card and off you go.

I noticed the dining comment a couple of posts up and the difference that poster experienced. Neptune Suites are supposed to receive their preferred dining whenever possible, so yes, it makes a big difference in open seating.

Now - as to your question, OP. The space in the Neptune Suite is very nice. Along with the verandah.

Pretty easy to eat in if you want or enjoy a glass of whatever.

You'll also find there is lots of room in the closets no matter how many suitcases you have.

One of the things we like is breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill (I think breakfast is there on the Noordam). When you get to your room, there should be a welcome letter. Read it as it lets you know the concierge hours in the Neptune Lounge, breakfast hours and location and, if there is a suite get together it can be on this letter now sometimes. There is usually one on embarkation night (although it was on the second night on a couple of our longer cruises).

the Neptune Suite is a great spot to grab some coffee, tea, water, snacks, whatever and the concierges are there to help you. They can help you with your shore excursions, account, specialty dinner reservations, etc.

And the laundry AND drycleaning AND pressing which is included is very nice too :)

Hope this helps a bit.

Don't be afraid to ask the concierge for assistance. Anything the front desk can do, the concierge can do for you. Asking for a running total of your bill, securing reservations for a hands on cooking class, a problem with getting someone to help you connect to the Internet , cashing a traveler's check.

The perks are all spelled out well but if I hadn't read here to go to the concierge with anything I felt like I needed the front desk for, I'd have missed out on a lot of very quick and easy help.

Thank you all for your replies. You have helped reinforce what we felt was a good idea. We anticipate being somewhat impressed by this experience, and if we are to be ruined for life, well, I suppose what must be must be. ;)

Oh, and if you hear rumors that it took two men and a horse to drag a lil' fat feller off of a ship somewhere, it's likely only a tale.....:o

George and Lori

Thank you all for your replies. You have helped reinforce what we felt was a good idea. We anticipate being somewhat impressed by this experience, and if we are to be ruined for life, well, I suppose what must be must be. ;)

Oh, and if you hear rumors that it took two men and a horse to drag a lil' fat feller off of a ship somewhere, it's likely only a tale.....:o

George and Lori

Enjoy it is heaven! And have at least one dinner on the balcony, ask for the linens! Bliss! But I am ruined for life:D:D

Hi. We just accepted an upsell today on our Aug 28th first cruise. We're now in Neptune suite 7057 on the Noordam. We've been watching this forum for months now, and if we've learned anything about cruising from you good people it's that we have sooo much to learn. Well, guess you can't beat the classroom :D

So, does anyone have experience with this suite? Would anyone be willing to share their favorite reasons for sailing in a Neptune suite? Any tips for some raw newbies?

Our thanks to all of you for sharing your experiences and knowledge. You truly do help smooth the way for others.

George and Lori.

As others have already mentioned, sailing in a Neptune Suite is a very nice experience. Whether it is worth the added cost of course depends on the person, but in your case with the upsell offer, IMO it is a great deal.

Gratz and enjoy your cruise!! :) Prepare to be spoiled!

Your proximity to the Neptune lounge is wonderful.

My favorite was the ability to stop in for a cup of coffee or lovely aromatic tea and some nibbles (sandwiches, pastries, cookies, fruit, hors d'oeuvres) almost any time of the day. We would just take a plate back to our balcony and enjoy the view of the world going by. We would do the continental breakfast from the Neptune lounge that way on days when we didn't want to fool with room service.

We have accepted a Neptune upsell on a few occasions.. and never regretted it. :D

I loved the variety small-sized snacks always available in the Neptune Lounge, during its opening hours.

I never go to the Lido the entire time when we have a Neptune Suite - cuts down on the busyness, table searching and noise as we instead enjoy these items in our spacious suite or generous balcony. If you like to feel private during a cruise, this is the way to go. Plus nice bite size portions cut down on calories too, when compared to grabbing something sweet or savory at the Dive Inn, ice cream or pizza stations.

Neptune suites are simply lovely pieces of real estate on HAL ships, offering both tangible and intangible benefits - each has to decide how much this is worth to them.

Don't forget the complimentary dry cleaning too. And as others have mentioned, the Pinnacle Grill breakfasts are again a very nice, quiet way to start the day. (Even when they fool you and offer them in the Upper Dining Room instead)

Edited by OlsSalt

We had that room the last time we were on the Noordam. We intentionally booked it for its convenient proximity to the Neptune Lounge. It's a great location. IMHO, you can't beat it.

Hi POA. Nice to see you posting. :)

Edited by sail7seas

My favorite perk seems to be the one I've used most recently. As we board, I'm thinking, priority boarding is great! We go to breakfast the next morning, and I say to DH, Pinnacle breakfast is the best perk! And it is, until I set out the laundry bag, and then I'm thinking free laundry is the best perk. I guess it comes down to the fact that all the perks are good!

And the "real estate" isn't bad, either. :D

... I can't give one favourite aspect of the Neptune suite. We particularly enjoyed the following: preferred check-in and boarding ...; the suite itself which is twice the size of a standard balcony stateroom; the Neptune Lounge with its various refreshments; the laundry service at no charge; and being able to have a quiet breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill.

For us, this Post says it all - agree 100%!!!

Smooth sailing and enjoy your NS ...

When I embarked at FLL the first time in a Neptune suite I was told I still had to wait in the line (long) to be checked in. The next time when I was in a signature suite, I waited in the line(as I had expected to) and the Neptune passengers were sent through without waiting.

I'm afraid the boarding may be hit or miss.

When I embarked at FLL the first time in a Neptune suite I was told I still had to wait in the line (long) to be checked in. The next time when I was in a signature suite, I waited in the line(as I had expected to) and the Neptune passengers were sent through without waiting.

I'm afraid the boarding may be hit or miss.

Unfortunately we learned twice there is no priority to get through any pre-sceening security lines (San Diego).

Only after we got through security, and then went to the ship check in desk - were we whisked to the priority boarding desk.

Which some times may have a longer line than some of the empty check-in desks for non-prority guests, depending on the time of day. :cool:

Edited by OlsSalt

Without question, the best aspects of the Neptune Suites are the real estate and the service from the Concierges.

Not having to line up at the front desk (or having a latté and a biscuit while the passenger in front of you is helped) makes it so much easier to take care of things.

The other perks are good--free laundry and dry cleaning is terrific, but on a seven day cruise it doesn't save that much packing. A shorter line for check-in is certainly nice, but at Vancouver, it doesn't facilitate security or US CBP pre-clearance. Priority tendering isn't relevant on the inside passage cruise, unless Noordam draws the short straw in Ketchikan when you're there.

But the concierges? Worth their weight in gold!!

Without question, the best aspects of the Neptune Suites are the real estate and the service from the Concierges.

Not having to line up at the front desk (or having a latté and a biscuit while the passenger in front of you is helped) makes it so much easier to take care of things.

The other perks are good--free laundry and dry cleaning is terrific, but on a seven day cruise it doesn't save that much packing. A shorter line for check-in is certainly nice, but at Vancouver, it doesn't facilitate security or US CBP pre-clearance. Priority tendering isn't relevant on the inside passage cruise, unless Noordam draws the short straw in Ketchikan when you're there.

But the concierges? Worth their weight in gold!!

Good points. The value increases on the longer cruises :)

It's a very nice perk on a 30 day cruise :).

With a bunch of sea days, the real estate becomes very nice :)

If you meet some friendly folks on your cruise (as you most likely will) and wish to invite them for a small reception in your suite, the concierges can with notice (unless this has recently changed--if I am providing outdated info, someone please advise) provide a nice spread of appetizers (at least cold ones and perhaps hot), cheese, fruit, etc., at no cost. If you use your mini-bar for soft drinks or liquor, that is of course an additional cost.

Yet it is very nice to be able to entertain in your suite--and then, someone else cleans up and removes it all.

Enjoy all the amenities with your Neptune suite. Bon voyage!

If you meet some friendly folks on your cruise (as you most likely will) and wish to invite them for a small reception in your suite, the concierges can with notice (unless this has recently changed--if I am providing outdated info, someone please advise) provide a nice spread of appetizers (at least cold ones and perhaps hot), cheese, fruit, etc., at no cost. If you use your mini-bar for soft drinks or liquor, that is of course an additional cost.

Yet it is very nice to be able to entertain in your suite--and then, someone else cleans up and removes it all.

Enjoy all the amenities with your Neptune suite. Bon voyage!

For sure that can be done ;)

And if you are inviting people for drinks etc., they will supply extra wine glasses, etc.

We had a roll call wine tasting on both the Prinsendam and the Westerdam and glasses,cheeses, yummy appetizers, etc were all supplied with no problem. :)

Technically I think the max is for 8 people (not 100% sure) but the portions are so generous normally that it will more than do the trick even if you have a larger group. On the P'dam they didn't blink when I said we had 55 people (but we were in the PS). On the Westerdam, there was a max, but the portions were HUGE and with a fellow roll call member in an NS we had more than enough. :).

In fact, some would say too much. I felt sorry for those doing early dining ;)

Edited by kazu

Agree, the guest appetizer portions were huge - we just had two people in and ordered hot and cold appetizers. Two huge platters arrived. It was embarrassing how much we had to throw out. But it was very welcome to be able to do this and to put the extensive suite "real estate" to such enjoyable use.

DH ran into an old med school classmate from 50 years prior, sitting down the lunch table on a HAL tour in Albania, of all places. They had a lot of catching up to do, but even that could not penetrate the mound of appetizers HAL offered. But it was also a good way to use the complimentary sparkling wine for a fun late afternoon of surprised reminiscing..