Security on Celebrity Eclipse

bearsden9

My wife has arthritis and as a result 2 replacement knees.

Each time we came on to the ship she was subjected to a pat down search by the same member of staff.

She found this discriminating and humiliating as she is very shy.

While we appreciate the need for security it was patently obvious that she was not a threat to the security of the ship.

Other passengers that we spoke to found the same problem.

As we had a drink package and the cruise in question was the Norwegian fiords there was very little possibility of smuggling contraband onboard .

There needs to be a better way.

Better technology and/or better staff procedures could lead to a more sensitive and welcoming approach.

Unfortunately the world we live in is such that security pat down's are a fact of life. I have been through pat downs in airports, on ships and going into government buildings. None of us want this experience but the ships security team is doing their job to insure our safety.

She can always ask for a private area

Agreed. I value the security procedures as I value my safety. I also value your wife's dignity. This would be the solution to both issues. It is an unfortunate bi product of today's world situation.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk

OP -- just curious -- what does your wife do/expect when she flies? I have several friends with 'replacement parts', and they are quite used to security line pat-downs. Most of them will volunteer that information, to save time. Oh, and any of the rest of us can be pulled out of line and subjected to the same thing, for "additional security" purposes. I can understand your wife's discomfort -- but sadly, that's the world we live in now. :(

And, despite the popular myth that security is only looking for smuggled booze, they are very thorough in checking for anything that could qualify as a weapon. On my last X cruise, I saw a very irate passenger in a port security line. He had a very nice (old school) 35mm film camera -- which the screeners were insisting that he either: a) put through the x-ray scanner, or b) remove the partial roll of film from the camera, so they could visually inspect the interior. When we got to the head of the line, he was still berating the screeners, as they waited for their supervisor to come deal with the situation.

Gee wiz, what have I let myself in for? Sounds more like prison than a holiday cruise.

Yes I have cruised before and never encountered anything like this story, but what does a demeaning public pat down search achieve? If one was really trying to get something on board I am sure that with a little effort a pat down search could be defeated and why such a large cruise line cannot make an accommodation for something to happen in private is beyond me. I carry a money belt on flights and when I was stopped in an airport for a random search, I was taken to a private area.

Let's have some respect for paying customers.

Gee wiz, what have I let myself in for? Sounds more like prison than a holiday cruise.

Yes I have cruised before and never encountered anything like this story, but what does a demeaning public pat down search achieve? If one was really trying to get something on board I am sure that with a little effort a pat down search could be defeated and why such a large cruise line cannot make an accommodation for something to happen in private is beyond me. I carry a money belt on flights and when I was stopped in an airport for a random search, I was taken to a private area.

Let's have some respect for paying customers.

It is not uncommon for pat downs to occur on cruise ships and one can ask to be taken to a private area and they will be accommodated. I don't consider a pat down demeaning nor do I pay attention when a pat down is occurring. If I had $10 for every airport pat down I have had my next cruise would be in a suite.

Good day,

While I am one of the biggest supporters of security the one issue I find is that the "same" staff member did the pat downs and that others complained. To me this is a pattern and should at least be brought to the attention of those in charge. Maybe someone just needs some retraining or there could be something else.

Does your wife carry medical documentation about her knees? Do you let the cruise ship know and give them a copy?

Did security offer to use the wand first? That is usually what happens... so again perplexing that a pat down is done.

Just my thoughts....

As a paying passenger, I would expect anyone who sets off security devices to undergo whatever security procedures are necessary to assure we are protected from anyone suspected of possibly endangering other passengers (regardless of physical outwardly appearance).

Your cooperation is expected.

Edited by Ravbo

Each time we came on to the ship she was subjected to a pat down search by the same member of staff.

While we appreciate the need for security it was patently obvious that she was not a threat to the security of the ship.

As we had a drink package and the cruise in question was the Norwegian fiords there was very little possibility of smuggling contraband onboard .

Better technology and/or better staff procedures could lead to a more sensitive and welcoming approach.

Sounds like that security staff member was consistently doing her/his job by not be complacent or assuming your wife was obviously (totally disagree with your choice of words) not a threat to the security of the ship and everyone aboard. We are glad security no matter where we are traveling to are doing their jobs and keeping us as safe as possible. 9/11...I'll never forget!

On the Constellation in Europe earlier this year, I was always wanded because my knee replacement would set off the metal detector. It was always the same staff person and you would think that after a few days she'd know me and give me a pass. However, she was diligent about her duties.

The pat down I got in the Rome airport, however, was quite intrusive, especially considering that it was done in full view of everyone. Fortunately, I know not to be a smart**s with airport security, especially in other countries. I really wanted to say "you don't know me well enough to do that."

Those of us with replacement parts have to learn to accept the treatment we will receive and find ways to simplify matters. Even though I have TSA Pre-Check, I've learned to always say to the agent checking my boarding pass that I have an artificial knee. He or she will send me to the front of the line where I can be examined appropriately.

Good day,

While I am one of the biggest supporters of security the one issue I find is that the "same" staff member did the pat downs and that others complained. To me this is a pattern and should at least be brought to the attention of those in charge. Maybe someone just needs some retraining or there could be something else.

Does your wife carry medical documentation about her knees? Do you let the cruise ship know and give them a copy?

Did security offer to use the wand first? That is usually what happens... so again perplexing that a pat down is done.

Just my thoughts....

To me this is a pattern and should at least be brought to the attention of those in charge. Maybe someone just needs some retraining or there could be something else.

Why does this person need retraining? Why would it be unusual for the same person to be assigned to a the security screening of returning passengers at each port? Just because the OP s wife and a few other guests didn't like getting a pat down doesn't mean the security person wasn't doing their job properly. And what else, exactly? There is a standard protocol, no different than at most airports (that don't have full body scanners) .

If you set off the metal detectors, the use of a wand will only isolate the areas where metal is located. It will still be followed by a pat down. I have no idea why anyone would find this as anything more than an inconvenience that only takes a few moments. However, if you're bashful, having the pat down done in a private area is an option. One that will take even more time than just submitting to the procedure.

Again. This is no different than going through security at an airport. No security person with 2 functioning neurons will read or believe any written or printed documents. They are too easy to fake. I have knee replacements. And since I know they will always set off the detectors, I warn security before going through. Pat downs are standard procedure and are always conducted in a professional manner and as quickly as possible. I'm sure there are a hundred things the security person would rather be doing than running her hands over an elderly, overweight, usually sweaty person such as myself. But it's her job. And I view it as my job not to make hers any more difficult than it already is.

Sorry the OP and his wife don't like it, but it's not going to change.

It's called security, shy or not.

Agreed. I value the security procedures as I value my safety. I also value your wife's dignity. This would be the solution to both issues. It is an unfortunate bi product of today's world situation.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk

I don't mean to sound flip, but They are not strip searching you, they are patting you down or wanding you after the detector goes off. And before you say I don't know what I am talking about, I have a titanium left knee, screws in my right knee, and screws in my shoulder. I set alarms off everywhere.

The security staff are professionals. They aren't groping you. They are just doing their jobs. They don't want to be patting people down. It takes them longer, but it has to be done.

You know its coming every time. Say hello, be polite, step to the side if they ask, lift your arms, and get on with it. It's a small price to pay to feel secure while traveling abroad.

None of us like it but it is the world we are living in, a minor inconvenience. I expect and I am thankful that the staff are diligent. How about those airport x-Ray machines where they can see everything ...and I mean everything. Whether it be at cruise ports, on the ship, airports, government buildings or even the Vatican Museums, the security screening is there to protect us all no matter how " patently obvious" we all think we are.

2000 passengers more or less go ashore each day and have to be screened back on board. Simplest way is to treat the security screening as part of the trip and go along with it with a smile. If you don't you are the only one who is going to get grumpy

Sunday will be the 15th anniversary of 9-11, the day the world changed. You know that your DW is not a security risk, I know that my DW isn't a security risk. However, Security doesn't know that either is not a security risk. If the bad guys noticed that an older demographic got a pass you could bet that they would recruit people in that demographic to perform terroristic acts.

Let's remember all the firefighters, police and first responders who gave so much on 9-11 and always remember the victims of violence.

I don't mean to sound flip, but They are not strip searching you, they are patting you down or wanding you after the detector goes off. And before you say I don't know what I am talking about, I have a titanium left knee, screws in my right knee, and screws in my shoulder. I set alarms off everywhere.

The security staff are professionals. They aren't groping you. They are just doing their jobs. They don't want to be patting people down. It takes them longer, but it has to be done.

You know its coming every time. Say hello, be polite, step to the side if they ask, lift your arms, and get on with it. It's a small price to pay to feel secure while traveling abroad.

We totally agree. In addition to the passengers who set off metal detectors, thousands of people with implanted medical devices, such as pacemakers or spinal cord stimulators, are not allowed to pass through metal detectors.

So even though they never set off metal detectors, they are required go through manual screening every time at locations that use metal detectors.

With so many people of all ages having implants of one kind or another embedded in their bodies these days, manual screening at security checkpoints is common.

It is not as though they are singling out the OP's wife.

There is nothing "discriminating" or "humiliating" about it, although it is easy to understand how it may be perceived that way by somebody who is unaccustomed to it.

If anything, it is the opposite. They now bend over backwards to give at least the perception of treating all passengers equally, after complaints that some ethnic groups felt they were being discriminated against.

I believe the reason that the OP's wife is so sensitive about it is probably that she is from Scotland and unaccustomed to such procedures.

Somebody asked what the OP's wife does when she files.

Many airports use full-body scanners these days instead of (or in addition to) metal detectors, greatly reducing the need for manual screening.

So it could be that she she goes through a scanner.

But it will probably be a long time before scanners replace the metal detectors for cruise ship passengers.

As Orator points out, we all remember 9-11, and there have been recent violent terrorist attacks in other countries.

The USA has since experienced many mass shootings at different locations by various "crazies" as well.

Many of us are quite accustomed to encountering security procedures, not only at cruise ports and airports, but government buildings, museums, rallies, sports events and other places that draw crowds.

So to us they are pretty routine and necessary and we are grateful for them (even though we still complain about the long security lines).

Edited by fleckle

I'm sure we've all been patted down at one time or another. Annoying, but just one of the joys of travel nowadays. Whenever a pat down was over, my DH (artificial knees) would usually say, "you know, I think you're gonna have to buy me a nice dinner now." Always brought a big smile, even in Europe.

Unfortunately, in the world in which we live, we have to accept security. Your wife's discomfort is no more than mine having to admit to wearing a corset (for medical reasons) during public searches - the latest at the Museum of London just this week. For the same reason, we have to ignore heavily armed police throughout Kings Cross Station - also this week.

You live in Scotland. I can only assume that you live in a remote area. Otherwise you cannot be a stranger to security. Unlike our friends in the USA, we have had some security risk or other in the UK for almost as long as I can remember.

Edited by Project_gal

The ship's security team, and any port security off the ship are guided by either the ship's or the port's ISPS (International Ship and Port Security) Code, which is a mandatory international (IMO) requirement. This code spells out how ship and port security measures are implemented. This particular security agent is following the requirements as spelled out in the company's document, each and every time, as they should. Ship security is often subjected to "testing" by the port state (the country the ship is docked in) of their compliance with the ISPS Code, so the security screeners never know when a "ringer" from the Coast Guard is watching to see if they are complying. Failure to comply can result in fines or detention of the ship.

Consistency is key to security, so the screener is doing the right thing to pat down the woman each and every time. As others have said, she can request a private area, but the pat down should still happen every time.

Sorry. Can't see what all the fuss is about. If you keep setting off the scanners then you keep getting searched. just because you got searched on the first does not mean that you shouldn't get searched on any of the following days.... Think I would be annoyed that a security search person let you through with no checks what so ever...........

if you have a medical condition then surely you would travel with the relevant documentation from your GP stating your condition to help assist you though any checks that are being given.

Get used to being pat down. It's become a necessary part of traveling. At first when it happened to me, I was upset. The only metal that I had was the filings in my teeth. I haven't had any replacements or screws in my body. I made it a point not to wear anything with metal when I traveled to avoid the pat down. Even that didn't work. Recently, I questioned the TSA as to what set off their alarms. Why ME? Their response was it can also be sweat that shows up. I take showers, use deodorant antiperspirant, wear clean clothes, etc.....and I still get the pat down. It depends how high the sensors are set. Last week, flying from Amsterdam, everyone was pat down. Nobody escaped. The security agent did apologize because the airport was on high alert. The airport was filled with military, police with visible weapons, and dogs. If a pat down can avoid a problem, let them do it. They are just doing their job.