Prices Too High

mcrcruiser

$29 per day is what I paid for a 15 night CRUISE on Reflection! :eek: :D :cool:

$449pp with $250 OBC and free "elite" drinks.

That's great, but as I've mentioned previously, many of us are not retired or are unable to take annual leave unless it's in the peak cruising months. I believe in the US that some employees don't even get 15 days per annum :eek:. So I was offering that poster another option: going for a cheaper cabin and taking the UDP if he preferred dining in a smaller venue.

I do agree that each of us have different priorities and unfortunately, at this particular time in our lives, we are unable to cruise last minute, out of the peak school holiday period when many of the deals are offered. What we lose in monetary terms, we gain from the experiences spent with our children ;).

And THAT is what is so absolutely fantastic about the free market... including cruises. :)

Everyone has different priorities... some people absolutely MUST have the 2000 square foot cabin and 1,000 square foot wrap around deck of a Penthouse Suite on an M class ship... and are willing to pay $500pp/night... or even more.

The ONLY time I spend in my inside cabin/prison cell is to sleep and shower, for which I am willing to pay $50pp/night...

... and I have absolutely no trouble finding plenty of cruises at that price... and quite often, even less.

I completely understand that. But like VillaUK I'm far from retirement and only get thirty days plus public holidays vacation time a year so the emphasis is very much on quality and not quantity. I'm certain that once I am retired that will change as I'd prefer to spend more time away if I have no work commitments etc.

A balcony is an absolute must as I like to have a drink late at night sat there in my underwear relaxing! Apologies to anyone I've just mentally scarred for life. :D

The longest number of consecutive sea days I've ever done is three. And that was enough for me. I need to be doing stuff to stop me from being bored. Again when I'm retired and will have evolved into an entirely different person a TA or TP might appeal lots.

But what those newbies reading need to understand is that the Elite drinks are not really free. You've just paid for them in previous cruises. And if your OBC is shareholder credit which I suspect it is, then people have to invest thousands of dollars at some risk in order to obtain it.

But if you're happy with your trips, which I think you are I think your strategy is great and it sounds like you're making the most of your retirement which is awesome. I have a lot of respect for people who do!

Hi Rich,

NCL has low prices, but they have a ton of add on costs. We start in an inside or OceanView cabin, but have always worked our way up to a balcony after final payment. (We do that with Celebrity as well)

NCL offers the same Drink package, paid gratuities, internet and UDP extras, but you have to pay for additional gratuities that go along with the drink package.

We always get the UDP -- Ultimate Dining Package (the free one only gives you three nights), so we will purchase the remaining nights. Very important to eat EVERY evening meal in one of their great alternative restaurants; skip the buffet completely; eat breakfast/lunch in the dining room, or one of their no-pay alternatives. Cuisine is as good, if not better than Celebrity's MDR using this strategy. Beef is better than HAL's, Princess's and Celebrity's.

Entertainment is better than Celebrity. Their space ratio on their older mid-size ships is pretty good. The ship decor is more lively compared to Royal, Princess, HAL..., but we kind of like that feel. Cabins are a bit smaller than Celebrity, but well laid out. Glass shower stall :)

We are going to try their megaships for spring break and next summer to see if we get the same vibe!

Enjoy!

Kel:D

Thanks for your insights & strategy Kel. We have sailed Breakaway twice, both times in summer with extended family, because the litttle ones like the many kids attractions. Our two biggest concerns are their nickel & diming, & the overcrowding. It may pay to try their smaller ships in other than summer, without kids. I agree that the only way to eat s to avoid their free restaurants, but the for pay ones are good to excellent. I hate that they charge gratuities for their "free" package perks, but their entertainment is great.

Thanks again!

Ha! For a small commission I could do that... :D

It's currently showing on a TA's website in the US. There are a few cruises past final pay date in Asia on Millennium and Constellation with all four perks in suites at very low prices.

Annoyingly, the air fare isn't that much either from the UK! There was even a cheap CS yesterday but predictably that's since been snapped up. I assume it was a late cancellation.

Apologies if already asked, but what cruise is this? Is it in Asia?

Apologies if already asked, but what cruise is this? Is it in Asia?

There is actually a couple with similar pricing. Here's one. Admin, if this is not allowed please delete this post!

11111.jpg

What I would say is ignore the alleged brochure prices! When this cruise opened an S1 was $5295. The CS is currently $3799 and the RS $4099.

I'm sure people will be quick to point out that these low prices only exist because it's now after final payment date which is obviously true. Other factors adding to the lower prices are the fact that it's just before Christmas and visas will be required by some (though they are really easy to obtain at least for us brits). You may also face an increase in air prices, though annoyingly for me flights from the UK flights there are very affordable still at just $530 return with KLM.

Edited by Mynki

We were interested in a Baltics cruise for July 2017-and it's out of the question with Celebrity-12 nights on Silhouette with one perk is AUD $12000 in AQ :(

Have you looked at the 8/1/17 Azamara 12 night from Scotland to Sweden with three nights in St. Petersburg? They have a promotion of second passenger 1/2 off. AZ includes free drinks and gratuities. All balcony cabin classes are the same price right now.

Also Celebrity's Captains Club and Azamara's Le Club share the same Captain's club number and co earn points on both lines simultaneously. Whatever CC level you are is the equivalent level on Azamara.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

There is actually a couple with similar pricing. Here's one. Admin, if this is not allowed please delete this post!

11111.jpg

What I would say is ignore the alleged brochure prices! When this cruise opened an S1 was $5295. The CS is currently $3799 and the RS $4099.

I'm sure people will be quick to point out that these low prices only exist because it's now after final payment date which is obviously true. Other factors adding to the lower prices are the fact that it's just before Christmas and visas will be required by some (though they are really easy to obtain at least for us brits). You may also face an increase in air prices, though annoyingly for me flights from the UK flights there are very affordable still at just $530 return with KLM.

Ov or balcony is better pricing than inside because of the perks in this case

True. Lately, Celebrity has been our cruise line of choice. Next month we are cruising Celebrity(Infinity), Princess during Christmas(Regal) and Celebrity again in January(Eclipse). I would have preferred a b2b with my December/January Celebrity cruises, but, the price is SKY HIGH(imo) for the December cruise compared to Princess ($774pp obstructed balcony gty). I suspect the price will fall after final payment to fill the ship, but, I will have made final payment on the Princess cruise by then. With that said, we are looking forward to a bit of a change that the Princess ship will bring.

Hold on minute here!!!

You are cruising next month which I presume to be October. You are also cruising during Christmas and then again in January and you are complaining about prices.

You need to come into the real world my friend. I cruise once a year and yes its a little expensive but its worth every penny I spend.

I personally think you have a cheek posting that when there are folk bursting their arse to cruise once a year!!

You could mention that this cruise is RT Abu Dhabi...........and the airfare for most of us would be vastly higher than the cruise price.

So much for a bargain

11111.jpg

You could mention that this cruise is RT Abu Dhabi...........and the airfare for most of us would be vastly higher than the cruise price.

So much for a bargain

Should have read my previous posts. I did state this and the others are in Asia. But even with the $530 flights, it's still a bargain. If others can't get cheap airfare, then that's just life. Sounds like you want your cake and eat it. Life doesn't always work like that I'm afraid.

The cabin may be higher. If people will pay higher rates, then Celebrity can increase profits. When bookings stop, there will be price decreases. It's all supply and demand. As long as they keep filling the ships, expect higher prices. However, as prices increase, some people will sail on other lines. I am elite plus. In the past year, I have taken 5 cruises. 3 on celebrity and 1 on Viking and 1 on Windstar. I am on Celebrity in January. When I booked it 2 years ago, the price was a lot less than it is now. If I were trying to book a winter Celebrity cruise now, I would look at the prices and look for other options. I also booked 2 more cruises for the spring....not on Celebrity. With all the competition to fill cruise ships, there will be some bargains. They may not be exactly when you really want to cruise. Expect to pay top prices if you cruise during periods of high demand.

Hold on minute here!!!

You are cruising next month which I presume to be October. You are also cruising during Christmas and then again in January and you are complaining about prices.

You need to come into the real world my friend. I cruise once a year and yes its a little expensive but its worth every penny I spend.

I personally think you have a cheek posting that when there are folk bursting their arse to cruise once a year!!

Yeah!!! Everyone that can afford to cruise more than once a year should be thrown in jail & forced to give their money to charity! How dare they spend their hard earned money how they deem fit, when there are those who can only cruise once a year. The nerve of some people!!!

Edited by richsea

Yeah!!! Everyone that can afford to cruise more than once a year should be thrown in jail & forced to give their money to charity! How dare they spend their hard earned money how they deem fit, when there are those who can only cruise once a year. The nerve of some people!!!

Rich,

I don't think the poster was so much complaining about the amount of cruises the other poster was stating they were taking in the next 4 months, more about them whinging at the high costs (the actual theme of the thread) and yet they were still able to cruise so many times on X in such a short period of time ;). That's definitely different from telling someone how to spend their cash.

Edited by villauk

Please re-read my post. Doesn't it say pp?

Sorry, yes, until recently, prices for cruising with a balcony would run from $2500-3000 for two for a two week cruise.

The top end of your range would amount to $2800 for two for 14 days. With the bundled pricing that price is harder to find.

Sorry, yes, until recently, prices for cruising with a balcony would run from $2500-3000 for two for a two week cruise.

The top end of your range would amount to $2800 for two for 14 days. With the bundled pricing that price is harder to find.

That's exactly why I said I consider anything in the $50-$100/pp/night range not expensive. I thought it was fair. Those were the prices before Queen Lisa started playing her rate game of forcing people to pay for perks to raise revenue.

I do pay more now but I've also started including other lines in my searches. If Celebrity gives me the itinerary I want at a price I feel is a better value, they will get my business.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

We on the Connie Suez repositioning 15 night in the spring , $719 CAD military rate inside gty, got a cat 9 cabin , but no perks and the taxes are high over $400 CAD, it would be nice if there a couple more ports

RCL is about $1500 CAD, for an inside

Air fare was $865 CAD with taxes Toronto to Dubai, Rome to Toronto direct flights in the cheap seats

Considering most TA or almost $1000 CAD for inside , I think it is good value

Take 30% off for USD pricing

Yes, the cruise fares are too high....and the drink prices, once you are on board, are even worse. $12.00 for a Scotch and Soda. I don't think so.

We've been on two Celebrity cruises in the past year, one 10 and one 14 day, but I think that's about it for us with Celebrity until they rethink the pricing.