prescription meds

4spring

2 hours ago, branda said:

Thank you these are prescribe meds and don't want my whole family seeing I'm just going to put them with the rest of my luggage and not my carry on

Its not likely you will be pulled aside for an additional security screening.  If you are pulled aside, your family will not be hovering over you as the security checks.  Think like airport security.  Chances are, the offending item won't look like a prescription container.  I just had the bad luck of security going  "I'm looking for a round thing".  😒

10 minutes ago, Rogueperson said:

Its not likely you will be pulled aside for an additional security screening.  If you are pulled aside, your family will not be hovering over you as the security checks.  Think like airport security.  Chances are, the offending item won't look like a prescription container.  I just had the bad luck of security going  "I'm looking for a round thing".  😒

You don't no my family lol but yea if it happens it happens I'm not loosing my meds

Are these prescription medications legal to carry, federally speaking? I think folks here are assuming that you're asking about standard Rx drugs you get from CVS, etc.,, and not something you get from a "medical dispensary" that several states now have. 

That sort of prescription medication isn't allowed due to federal guidelines, regardless of their allowance in your home state.

Doubt that's what you're talking about, but thought I'd post this as a disclaimer.

On 9/29/2016 at 11:10 AM, 4spring said:

Do I need to bring each script bottle or can I just make a list of them & carry them in one container? I don't have time to ask my MD for a letter.

RCI does not inspect any medications unless you carry 1,000 of anything.  doctors' notes, prescriptions, or original bottles are not required for the TSA or RCI.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/29/2016 at 5:58 PM, bwest the man said:

Technically it is illegal to have a controlled substance outside of its original labeled container based on federal law. Just take the bottles or ask your pharmacy for a smaller bottle and take only the number of pills you need in the smaller bottle with a couple of extras in case of a travel delay, if the original container is very large.

No, RCI does not care.  RCI is not local police.

• Thanks 1

On 9/29/2016 at 6:00 PM, Bosjoe said:

If your medications are classified controlled substance. You should have the bottle or at least the label that you get when you pick up. Most likely they will never check, but better safe then sorry.

No

On 5/29/2023 at 2:30 PM, lovesthebeach2 said:

Yes, security in ports is like the same kind as when flying, but with different rules, since you can carry on all the liquids you want (shampoo, conditioner, lotions, etc) 

Security is not the TSA.  Private security is looking for alcohol and prohibited appliances.

22 minutes ago, The Scurvy Pirate said:

Buy my doctor gave us a note that said we need to each drink two glasses of red wine a day  ... says a couple trying to take 7 bottles of wine on board at check in, as medication .... 🙂

I only drink one.  

Humorous Cards Wine, Funny Cards - Free postage included

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/30/2023 at 12:30 PM, branda said:

Apriacte that definitely would ruin my vacation I'll keep on carry on

I travel with quite a few meds. I carry on 8-10 syringes that I have to take out of the labeled boxes to fit in this travel fridge. (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08J6WQZ2P/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&th=1 ) It usually also has a frozen gel pack in it too if I am not using the fridge part. TSA at the airport doesn't even open the cylinder, let alone the port  I do carry one expired syringe in a box so if I am ever questioned I can show them, but have never been questioned by a port. I keep all of my meds and my cpap in a small bag that is labeled as a medical bag (you can get non official medical labels online) so I don't have to have it count as a carry on. That said I only have 3 cruises under my belt so I can only go by that experience. But traveling with meds that usually alert TSA, I have had no problems at the port so far. I wouldn't worry too much. And if they pull it out, unless your family has laser eyes, they wouldn't be able to read the medication and you can just tell them you threw some advil in a pill bottle for easy travel.

• Like 1

I also take several prescription meds and ALWAYS pack them in my carry on, not only so they’re not lost if checked luggage is lost but also to ensure they’re not exposed to temperature extremes. I’ve never had an issue at cruise ports or with TSA.

I always bring the original bottles, but usually because we go on long cruises and I'd have to have 6 pill containers, so, what's the difference?

At the very least, have a printout of your meds from your doctor, especially if they are controlled substances.

12 hours ago, RB9643 said:

I always bring the original bottles, but usually because we go on long cruises and I'd have to have 6 pill containers, so, what's the difference?

At the very least, have a printout of your meds from your doctor, especially if they are controlled substances.

Have carried prescription bottles with at least one refill left with sufficient meds to last one cruise longer than the ones we are on ever since we were stuck at sea for four extra days by hurricane Dorian and I had to go down to the medical center and get a refill of enough to make it through the extra days. Prior to that, I only carried enough meds in one of their expired prescription bottles to last the length of the cruise.

On 5/30/2023 at 12:26 PM, branda said:

I'm just going to put them with the rest of my luggage and not my carry on

Probably not a good idea.  On one of our cruises. the person's luggage got DROPPED in the water by the port people! 😬 (RCCL gave her money to shop for clothes at Kmart in St. Thomas). 🤣

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, island lady said:

But two per cabin.   One person can take two bottles on...but not to exceed the two bottles total in the cabin.  

Rules have changed.  Now 1 person.

1 hour ago, njkruzer said:

Rules have changed.  Now 1 person.

True, but I was pointing out one person (my DH) can pack two of his bottles in one carry on.  There are two of us in a cabin.  Two bottles for the cabin.   My wine is the comped 3 bottles they give us.