Surf Shoes needed at Labadee?

mjgep0316

We are headed there shortly and have never been. Is the water in the swimming area rocky at all? We are fortunate enough to be sharing one of the Nellie's over water cabanas, so any knowledge of that area in particular would be appreciated. Thanks to all for sharing your knowledge with us...it's greatly appreciated and makes each cruise better and better.

Thanks,

Mark

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

We have them, and use them to walk around the area, because the sand is very hot and the walkways as well.

This last time in August we were on Barefoot beach and the entrance to the water was actually the sandiest it has ever been, with a little broken shells at the waters edge.

We wore our water shoes anyway, many did not.

Some of the other beaches have rocks and some as big as boulders....

Yea you should take them.

We found cheap ones at wall mart and our good ones we actually got at Target.

Our good expensive ones only last two years.

Enjoy Labadee, we do.

We have them, and use them to walk around the area, because the sand is very hot and the walkways as well.

This last time in August we were on Barefoot beach and the entrance to the water was actually the sandiest it has ever been, with a little broken shells at the waters edge.

We wore our water shoes anyway, many did not.

Some of the other beaches have rocks and some as big as boulders....

Yea you should take them.

We found cheap ones at wall mart and our good ones we actually got at Target.

Our good expensive ones only last two years.

Enjoy Labadee, we do.

Thanks for your feedback. We are approaching Labadee now and it looks and feels very calm. Leaving San Juan yesterday afternoon was quite choppy...in the evening, we had a great view of the water in the pools sloshing back and forth and spraying 7 or 8 feet in the air!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You definitely need them for Adrenaline Beach. It's quite rocky. But if you are in a Cabana at Nellie's you shouldn't need them. It's sandy around that side of the island. However as others have said, the sand can get hot and the path to the water. We had a Cabana a few years ago and found no need for surf shoes.

Sometimes there are sharp shards of broken coral under the sand even in areas where the sand looks soft. We've seen a few people get bad/deep cuts on their feet, so we always wear water shoes or Teva sandals on Labadee

We always take ours and wear them to every beach/island we go to. Labadee has just enough rocks, even on the sandiest beach that they do come in handy. As a pp said, they're also great to walk around the island in.

The rocks can also be very slippery. Our last time in Labadee ended up with a trip to the ship medical. My daughter slipped on the rocks at the very edge, and nearly broke her wrist with the fall.

On a side note, the medical team was awesome, and it was interesting to see the facility and capabilities. It did turn out to be only a bad sprain, and she was treated very well!

We were there in March and the shuttle driver refused to drop anyone off at the beach of their choice. Many were meeting family, or had reservations for the cabanas. He just keep going making many very angry.

He told us he had to even out the crowd.:(

Yes, water shoes are a necessity.

Yea, what she said. Conditions were nice on Barefoot beach in 2015 and didn't have to have them, but they are helpful on hot sand. The Adrenaline beach side looked rockier, but I didn't spend much time there.

Edited by BillOh

The only beach you do NOT need water shoes on is Columbus Cove - all the way in the back on the right side.

That is true (and it's our favorite spot in Labadee), although they are helpful for walking TO Columbus Cove. There are some rocky areas going past the water slide that some may prefer having shoes on to cross over...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been there twice. Both times necessary - barefoot beach and nellies had LOTS of coral/shells on the beach. DH forgot his and bought some for $10 inside the trading post. Not the village, but the one in the building where they do not hassle you.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

A cut on the bottom of your foot is going to make the rest of your vacation unpleasant. It doesn't matter how sandy most of the bottom may be. It only takes one sharp object that happens to be in the same location as your foot....

We've seen black Urchins and lots of rocks and coral at Adrenaline Beach. Barefoot Beach is better, but I still feel more comfortable with water shoes. The sand can be very hot everywhere. Funny, because I spent 10 years of my youth living in South Florida and would think nothing about spending hours in the ocean with my friends, swimming out to the sand bar, etc. I don't think water shoes were a thing in the 70's...I know sunscreen wasn't. And now when I'm in the water, even a piece of seaweed brushing up against my leg gives me the heebee jeebies. :eek: