Why no complimentary Internet on non-Oasis class ships

dagunny

I just got off the Empress and had the Royal Suite. On Oasis class ships you get complimentary Internet with a grand suite. Why doesn't RCCL do this on all ships? It seems a slap in the face to those willing to spend the bucks for a nicer room and get nickled and dimed on frivolous stuff. As a stock holder I would like to see something done about that. How about something like Celebrity has (i.e. Concierge class and throw in Internet as an incentive for regular rooms as well as complimentary for suites). It seems RCCL has a two edged sword and discriminates against the smaller ships. It's a real nuisance to have to keep creating accounts to use the DP+ two free days. We have T-Mobile for the ports but sea days are something else. Come on RCCL, get your act together and meet the demand.

To Biker19 - I tend to think of the bigger picture for a larger return - give a couple cheap perks to those that spend the big bucks and they will spend more for cabins, drinks, gratuities, and come back more often.

As a businessman I would rather give away $50 in Internet and have them return and bring back friends at a couple thousand dollars each rather than going to another cruise line that gives better perks. Celebrity gives free gratuities, drink packages, Internet, and OBC. Hmmmm.

Dangle the carrot to stay competitive.

My $.02.

T

As a businessman I would rather give away $50 in Internet and have them return and bring back friends at a couple thousand dollars each rather than going to another cruise line that gives better perks. Celebrity gives free gratuities, drink packages, Internet, and OBC. Hmmmm.

On the flip side as a consumer I rather have very little included and get a lower price. While those perks are included on Celebrity, don't kid yourself that they are free - they are built into the price you are paying.

On the flip side as a consumer I rather have very little included and get a lower price. While those perks are included on Celebrity, don't kid yourself that they are free - they are built into the price you are paying.

I agree with this. However people whom spend a lot of money on the room are willing to pay extra money for all the bells and whistles and probably don't care about the fact that they are paying money for stuff they don't want or won't use.

I also agree with whoever mentioned that the price for a suite on the empress is a lot less than the price of a suite on the bigger, newer ships. I think that sailing in suites on those cheap ships is a way some people use to get double points on their crown and anchor accounts so they can then get discounts and perks on the newer ships with their "diamond" status or whatever.

It doesn't surprise me that the cheaper ships give less perks, regardless of the suite class a person sails in, since it isn't comparable to paying for suite class on a big ship. Although I suppose I can see why it would be expected.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by ColoradoGurl

I'd say it is a matter of cost recovery and competitiveness... Older ships had to be retrofitted, while Oasis and Quantum class already contemplated Internet connectivity. At the same time they can't increase the cabin price because it will decrease competitiveness.

I don't know how RCI manages its financials, but if we consider how the drinks packages change on every ship, it is very likely that they keep the revenue of each cruise ship independently and don't subsidize other ships.

Bottom line is, internet is built into the cost of the suites on Oasis Class and not on the other class. They could increase the suite prices on other ships enough to include internet of course, but for whatever business reason they have decided not to. Perhaps suite customers on other ships are more price sensitive, but the demand for Oasis class ship suites is such that they can get away with higher pricing.

Celebrity gives free gratuities, drink packages, Internet, and OBC. Hmmmm.

Stay competitive with their own sister line? If you'd rather pay more to get those perks and sail Celebrity, I don't think that decision would bother Royal Caribbean International one bit.

I suspect (but have no special knowledge) that the Royal Suite program will be expanded to the rest of the fleet eventually. I imagine that they are tweaking the product now and will have some sort of rollout of a similar service on the other ships, in time.

For the most part, those who cruise in suites expect, and are willing to pay for, the perks. I don't think they will be able to charge the same premium on the older ships that they can on the newer ships, but I believe that they will come up with some price point to permit a more "all inclusive" product on the older ships in the fleet once this program has matured.

JUST MHO

I just got off the Empress and had the Royal Suite. On Oasis class ships you get complimentary Internet with a grand suite. Why doesn't RCCL do this on all ships? It seems a slap in the face to those willing to spend the bucks for a nicer room and get nickled and dimed on frivolous stuff. As a stock holder I would like to see something done about that. How about something like Celebrity has (i.e. Concierge class and throw in Internet as an incentive for regular rooms as well as complimentary for suites). It seems RCCL has a two edged sword and discriminates against the smaller ships. It's a real nuisance to have to keep creating accounts to use the DP+ two free days. We have T-Mobile for the ports but sea days are something else. Come on RCCL, get your act together and meet the demand.

Most swords are two-edged. :)

Out of curiosity I priced up a 4 night cruise for 2 people on Empress January 26th.

Cost before taxes is $4282. with taxes it is over $1100 per night.

Regardless of the ship, that is still way more than the cost of a standard room on a per night basis on one of the bigger ships. It is also more than a lot of JS and GS per night on the larger ships.

I agree when you are spending $1000 per night on a cabin they could throw in a few perks.

Edited to add for $8050 for 2 people (just over $1000 per night can get sky class OS oasis with plenty of perks) sailing Jan 29th!

Edited by Spurschick

If I could afford to book Royal Suites, I wouldn't worry about spending a few dollars for Internet. Just saying...

It's more the principle that all the other lines I look at offer some perks for booking high end suites. As RC offer Internet/ drinks on the larger ships it shouldn't be difficult to extend it fleet wide. It's about it being inconsistent within the fleet.

Yes I get there are "some benefits" but actually I don't notice anything extra on non Oasis/Quantum class ships as I get all those basic benefits for being D+. The perks for booking suites on RC are pretty poor and certainly not keeping up with the competitors.

Edited by Spurschick

Out of curiosity I priced up a 4 night cruise for 2 people on Empress January 26th.

Cost before taxes is $4282. with taxes it is over $1100 per night.

Regardless of the ship, that is still way more than the cost of a standard room on a per night basis on one of the bigger ships. It is also more than a lot of JS and GS per night on the larger ships.

I agree when you are spending $1000 per night on a cabin they could throw in a few perks.

Edited to add for $8050 for 2 people (just over $1000 per night can get sky class OS oasis with plenty of perks) sailing Jan 29th!

I must be looking at the wrong thing. January 26, Empress, to Key West and Nassau:

I get $1,413 for JS on this cruise. Total for Royal Suite, same cruise, including taxes is $3,212. This is the total for 2 ppl I did not include any discounts like C&A or senior, etc.

Edited by harlekuin
added info

I must be looking at the wrong thing. January 26, Empress, to Key West and Nassau:

I get $1,413 for JS on this cruise. Total for Royal Suite, same cruise, including taxes is $3,212. This is the total for 2 ppl I did not include any discounts like C&A or senior, etc.[/

Here is what I see

image.jpg.e1944e75a7e8a7f4b37d1bf258bcc75d.jpg

I get $1,413 for JS on this cruise. Total for Royal Suite, same cruise, including taxes is $3,212. This is the total for 2 ppl I did not include any discounts like C&A or senior, etc.[/

Here is what I see

Cleared my cache and it appears I was still seeing some stupid RCL BOGO60% BS thing. Either way, both of those amounts are way too much for that suite on that ship.

I thought when Empress re-launched with Voom it was "free" for everyone? Is that accurate or was it just a limited time promotion or am I totally off base (likely)... :-)

Majesty had a free internet promo for a while, not sure about Empress. But I don't know of any free internet ship or promo at this time.