Can you pay for staying on board?

gordylad

When you dock after your cruise are you able to pay to stay on board and if so what time do you need to get off?

Thanks

When your cruise is over, unless you are on the next cruise, you must depart. They usually want you off the ship by 9am.

You must handle your own luggage if you extend your time beyond the normal disembarkation. This is limited to ports where you don't need to pass through Customs and Imigration. There is a fee to extend your disembarkation.

Why would you want to do that?

It's a whole different atmosphere on Disembarkation day. The cruise is over, people are thinking about their flights home or the next stage of their journey etc. The staff is desperately trying to get ready for the next cruise, and IMO those people who are excitedly waiting to board - need to do so with all the previous passengers (obviously excluding B-to-B) gone.

So odd.

Even if you CAN stay on the ship , you will have to be OUT of your cabin by 8am...that's not fun. Get off the ship...don't you remember how you wanted to be ON the ship?? Well, the next batch of cruisers want access to their cabin, too!

We did.

We had a late flight and didn't want to spend the day at the airport. We paid $35 i think. We were allowed to stay on board until 3pm and during that time were able to use the ocean view buffet plus it includes the classic drinks package as part of the fee.

We still had to leave luggage outside cabin door night before and leave cabin by 8am. We spent the day in sunset bar and al bacio.

Ps this was in Rome.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by claudiniusmaximus

We did.

We had a late flight and didn't want to spend the day at the airport. We paid $35 i think. We were allowed to stay on board until 3pm and during that time were able to use the ocean view buffet plus it includes the classic drinks package as part of the fee.

We still had to leave luggage outside cabin door night before and leave cabin by 8am. We spent the day in sunset bar and al bacio.

Ps this was in Rome.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ah, the famous consistent inconsistency. I was specifically told that I could not leave my baggage out for pick up and would need to take it off the ship with me. Perhaps a difference in ships,; perhaps a difference in ports. I was disembarking in Amsterdam.

I love how the first posts tell you no then others say your odd because you want to. What a supportive group here. Only to find out that in some places can stay on and there is good reason too. Also sounds like fun with the beverage package and food.

We live close to the port and are in no hurry to get off but it isnt offered here. Bummer

I love how the first posts tell you no then others say your odd because you want to. What a supportive group here. Only to find out that in some places can stay on and there is good reason too. Also sounds like fun with the beverage package and food.

We live close to the port and are in no hurry to get off but it isnt offered here. Bummer

When a poster is in error others post to correct the error so that the OP receives the correct information. When someone doesn't understand why others might want to do something! the "others" get on and provide an answer. These are good aspects of Cruise Critic.

If you pay for Celebrity's Extend Your Stay Program you lose access to your stateroom and must remain out in the public areas of the ship.

According to their PDF, the cost is $59 per guest.

CEL_ExtendedStay_Flyer.pdf

In most cases when we just want a place to pass the time before a late flight, we find that we are better off booking a day room at a hotel near the airport instead.

The cost is comparable, or sometimes even less.

Unlike the Extend Your Stay Program, you are not limited to European sailings as you can do it at US ports.

That way you can retreat to the privacy of your own room and bathroom where you can relax in comfort, stretch out on the bed to take a nap, shower, watch TV, access the internet, change clothes, and also have use of the hotel's public areas, including the pool and gym.

It beats remaining on the ship amidst the hectic hustle and bustle of turnaround day when cruise ship passengers and their luggage are departing and arriving.

In the middle of the day, you often have a hotel's pool or gym entirely to yourselves because the previous night's occupants have already left and the new ones have not yet arrived.

Also, most airport hotels provide a free shuttle to the airport.

Edited by fleckle

Why would you want to do that?

It's a whole different atmosphere on Disembarkation day. The cruise is over, people are thinking about their flights home or the next stage of their journey etc. The staff is desperately trying to get ready for the next cruise, and IMO those people who are excitedly waiting to board - need to do so with all the previous passengers (obviously excluding B-to-B) gone.

So odd.

There's nothing "odd" about the request at all. Especially when Celebrity offers such a program as outlined in post #3 of this thread.

For those posters who are saying you cant extend your time on the ship on debarkation day, that is not correct. It all depends on the port and the ship. In September we extended our cruise in Barcelona, Spain. Our flight didn't leave until 4:00 P.M. We extended our stay and were out of our cabin at 0800 hours. We were allowed to go anywhere on the ship we desired, and eat at any venue that was open, use the pool and hot tubs, and have a drink. We placed our bags outside our cabin the evening before, and after we were off of the ship we claimed them at the same baggage area as those who left the ship early.:):)

Nothing odd about wanting to stay on if that is what meets someones needs. Just because you don't do it it doesn't make it odd, it's no different to a late check out at a hotel.

Well, actually according to our experience it is not at all like a late check out at a hotel.

Whenever we request a late check out at a hotel, we get to sleep in that morning, keep our room and have full regular use it until we are ready to get dressed, pack up, and leave.

Celebrity would not let us do that.

When we asked about their Extend Your Stay program, we were told that we and our belongings had to be out of the room no later than 9 a.m. and we would not be allowed to go back and use our room again at all after that.

So in reality it is more like checking out of your hotel room early, and then spending hours still staying there, hanging around the hotel lobby and the other public areas without being able to get back into your hotel room.

But I agree with you that there is nothing odd about some people wanting to do it.

It is just an individual choice that appeals to some people, but not to others, like everything else they sell on the ships.

Edited by fleckle

thanks looking at the small print it says......Available on select European sailings.

Anyone know if it also applies to US sailings?

It is only available for certain European ports (as all the posted examples show ;)). If you are asking because you're on a night flight from the US back home (which I presume you are), then you have several options: book a day room at a local hotel; hire a car and lock your luggage in the boot and explore at your own pace; take an excursion (ship or tour operator) etc.

Edited by villauk

We have had several occasions world wide where we have finished a cruise but are not flying until the evening.

For total lack of stress and convenience we have found the ships excursion and airport drop offs have worked well for us. These tours tend to drop you at the airport by about 3pm. We also (if we are not booked in business) look at paying for access to an airport lounge then we can shower, relax and have a nice drink before boarding.

I must say, however, that most of the pay for lounges in the US (and many of the business lounges too) leave a lot to be desired compared to European and Asian offerings where there are often very good food choices too.

Ah, the famous consistent inconsistency. I was specifically told that I could not leave my baggage out for pick up and would need to take it off the ship with me. Perhaps a difference in ships,; perhaps a difference in ports. I was disembarking in Amsterdam.

In Barcelona upon completion of consecutive cruises aboard Equinox... It was handled very efficiently and--in my case--worked extremely well...

• The fee was $39 per person...
  • Luggage was picked up--with a dedicated tag number for the relatively small group [i'd guess it was < 25]--the night before disembarkation...
  • Luggage for "Extend Your Stay" participants was held for pick-up in the cruise terminal... An attendant--who watched over the bags until claimed and provided assistance to transportation--was assigned to the area...

I booked my flights via ChoiceAir [fortunately;, the first cruise was initially scheduled to depart Istanbul (embarkation relocated to Athens in late June)] eleven months prior to departure and, at the time, the best air schedule with the best prices would have required a real dash to the airport--with no margin for error--to make my flight... So I decided to stay in Barcelona an additional day--using a reward night from my "go to" hotel chain--and departed for Miami early the next morning...

I contacted my hotel near the airport in Barcelona about six weeks before my departure for Europe to inquire about early check-in but they advised that it was unlikely as my hotel [and most hotels in Barcelona/its suburbs] were fully sold out, starting the night before my arrival, for much of that week... Turns out that there was a world-wide pharmaceutical trade show--billed as having 36,000 participants from 150 countries/ 2,500 exhibitors [my hotel was a block from the primary convention center]--in town coincident with my stay...

For me, "Extend Your Stay" was the perfect alternative--in pleasant, known surroundings with continued access to many [but not all] services--to sitting around a hotel lobby for six/seven hours awaiting a room assignment... I'd use it again if necessary with hopes that the program is executed as well across the fleet as it was on Equinox in Barcelona...