What are the chances of a price drop

bidtrips

We are booked on Aft Emerald deck on Coral for May 27th, 2017 Alaska cruise. The last time I looked, we are back there all alone. I have looked at a couple of other dates at this section of cabins, it does not seem to be a popular area. Unless I have been misinformed, this is very likely a great area for Alaska. Now here is the dilemma.... we can get a OBC of about $120 from our TA if we make final payment by October 31st. So...what are the chances that this section stays relatively empty and Princess drops prices to fill cabins? If prices drop and I have made final payment am I out of luck for price adjustment? Are the chances good enough of getting a price drop, to pass on early payment, and hope for price drop, or go for the sure thing and pay now?

I appreciate all views on this issue, thanks

First, there is no way to tell how full the ship is. Yes, you can see some empty rooms, but you can't tell the number of guarantee bookings. They could literally be one booking away from all those cabins being full.

As the amount of bookings would drive the possibility of a price drop, therefore there is no way to tell if or what type of price drop you might get.

Can't answer as to what your situation might be as to getting money back if the price drops, but I think would would take the chance, and forego the $120 OBC, and hope to get a better price on the cabin. On the other hand...bird in the hand...

Edited by CruiserBruce

As long as the new lower sale price is not marked "new bookings only" you are eligible for the price drop even if you made final payment. Your issue is that as you booked with a TA they would be responsible for requesting the adjustment from Princess, and as said TA is incentivising you to make final payment early you have to find out if some or all of that incentive will be lost if you ask your TA to make any changes to your booking.

I have never heard of a TA asking for final payment so far in advance. For myself, it would not be worth $120 to make final payment this soon. Is this a TA you have used previously? It just does not set right with me, jmo. Since it is early in the Alaska season, you very well could see a price drop.

I have seen a couple of posts recently about TA's requesting very early payment and offering additional OBC if you do so. That screams cashflow issues to me and I would be worried about the financial stability of the TA. No way that I would be making the payment 7 months in advance for an extra $120 OBC :eek:

The offer for the early payment OBC was made at an Alaska presentation hosted by a well known national travel agency , and the presentation was given by a Princess representative. The TA host made the offer at the presentation with Princess rep right there. So, is it my understanding that the TA holds the $ until Princess final payment date or is $$ paid to Princess? In either case am I likely to get a price adjustment if applicable?

I am not trying to be greedy, just get best deal I can.... more $$$ for exploring

We are booked on Aft Emerald deck on Coral for May 27th, 2017 Alaska cruise. The last time I looked, we are back there all alone. I have looked at a couple of other dates at this section of cabins, it does not seem to be a popular area. Unless I have been misinformed, this is very likely a great area for Alaska. Now here is the dilemma.... we can get a OBC of about $120 from our TA if we make final payment by October 31st. So...what are the chances that this section stays relatively empty and Princess drops prices to fill cabins? If prices drop and I have made final payment am I out of luck for price adjustment? Are the chances good enough of getting a price drop, to pass on early payment, and hope for price drop, or go for the sure thing and pay now?

Slim and none.

Crazy to pay this cruise so far in advance.

Are you paying the cruise line, or the TA?

I am very familiar with the workings of a TA and this is quite unusual even with the October CLIA "Cruise Week" promotions. Of course agencies can do what they like but this is quite odd.

In addition to looking for a TA that offers better or similar perks, there's also a website that you can use to get notifications on price drops. The same site can be used to look at past prices for the same cruise. It'll give you a rough idea if price drops are common. It's against the rules to mention the site even though it's free (or you can pay a buck per cruise to get email alerts), so you'll have to search it out yourself.

The TA wanting final payment that early is highly unusual [emoji45]

However when it comes to any adjustment that you may qualify for ,

the only Final Payment date that matters is the cruise lines Final Payment date .

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Very unusual indeed.....

Bob

I have never heard of a TA asking for final payment so far in advance. For myself, it would not be worth $120 to make final payment this soon. Is this a TA you have used previously? It just does not set right with me, jmo. Since it is early in the Alaska season, you very well could see a price drop.

By making a final payment you are now locked into that TA for this booking and bookings cannot be transferred once Princess has been paid in full. (I am assuming the payment goes to Princess and not to the TA's own account.)

So...what are the chances that this section stays relatively empty and Princess drops prices to fill cabins?

Outside of minor price adjustments (up or down about $100), chances are that there will be no significant price drops until within 75 days of the cruise and then only if the ship is not nearly sold out and any lower prices will be for new bookings only.

Between now and then the basic price will remain about the same but amenities with a $$$ value will come and go. These amenities (such as free gratuities) effectively lower the price of the cruise without affecting the base pricing.

Also, if cabins in that area are still unsold, before lowering the price significantly, Princess will likely offer other booked passengers upsells to that area of the ship and then re-sell their original cabins.

I called Princess last night and was told that my TA could call and request adjustment, even if final payment has been made to Princess...... the kicker is IF my booking qualifies, eg price reduction only for new bookings...

I just read so much on here about price drops, but it doesn't seem all that likely in my case. I have booked a cruise tour and I seem to remember reading about someone who couldn't get cruise price drop b/c it was a cruise tour....

I think I will just wait to pay and let the $$ fall where they may... I mean its not even the cost of an excursion for two.

one last thing, a few folks have suggested I look for and possibly switch the booking to another TA..... at this point the work is all done, why would I give the commission to someone else? ... just doesn't seem right.

Thanks for all the input, I do appreciate it. This is our third cruise and I wouldn't book with out coming here first.

The above statement from your T.A. does not sound all that good. Who does the T.A. want you to pay by Oct 31st, them or Princess cruises. Princess has never offered that kind of deal so it appears that the T.A. wants your money to improve their cash flow or sales goals and will sit on it until final payment is due on March 13. Even though we always book using a T.A., we never pay the T.A. directly. Our payment is always a direct charge from Princess Cruises.

Have you booked your cruise under the 3 for free promo? The fares will probably will not get much lower than the 3 for free, but if they do before March 13th you can re-book. This promo is available for your sailing. Under the 3 for free you can receive an upgrade from your cat. BE balcony cabin, $75/pp OBC for the first two passengers in the cabin, and free gratuities worth $13.50/pp/day or $94.50/pp for a 7 day cruise.

Also, Can you take advantage of the military benefit and/or the Carnival stockholder's benefit? Look them up.

I have booked a cruise tour

This detail would've helped....

You don't have to worry about price drops if you are booked on a cruisetour.

IF your payment goes to Princess then I say to make the payment and get the promo.

IF the TA holds the money until final payment date then I say to wait, OR buy travel insurance that clearly includes coverage for financial default.

Thinfool...are you saying there is not chance of price drop with a cruisetour??

Yes, anecdotally and personal experience, Princess does not separate the cruise from the land portion for price matching.

Please verify/double check this with your TA.

Thinfool...are you saying there is not chance of price drop with a cruisetour??

Cruise tours can sell out and the type cabin you have booked for the cruisetour may not have sold out.

If your cruisetour is sold out, there is no reason for Princess to reduce its cost even if equivalent unsold cabins get a reduction in price.