Cleaning your cabin when boarding.

danielsumner

Or money. Money is the filthiest thing on the planet.

You've twice mentioned a random man's junk in your posts. Is there a story?

Haha! I would have to say yes [emoji12] I have seen enough things behind closed doors to be wary of what's lurking, not to mention the things we see in public that make me wonder what happens when nobody is looking.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have done 50+ cruises and only got sick on one and never have employed wipes etc. This was several years ago probably on my 40th or so cruise. The only thing I could attibute it to was I went to see a show in the main show room, put my glass of wine in the drink holder in the arm rest. The guy next to me constantly coughed in my direction and towards my glass of wine. No amount of wipes would have helped me.

This link sums up my thoughts on wipes and they may actually be causing problems.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/03/science/fda-bans-sale-of-many-antibacterial-soaps-saying-risks-outweigh-benefits.html?_r=0

I remember years ago my doctor talking about anti bacteria soaps when they first became popular. She was totally against them, and said in the future they will cause many more problems than they are supposed to prevent. She always said plain soap and water was the best preventive.

I remember years ago my doctor talking about anti bacteria soaps when they first became popular. She was totally against them, and said in the future they will cause many more problems than they are supposed to prevent. She always said plain soap and water was the best preventive.

Yes and it took me awhile to get DH to stop buying everything anti bacterial that he could get his hands on.

What would you all do on a non "western" land tour ?

I had to do third world travel in my corporate life. One example, North Africa. Ever seen the "footprint" toilets / squatter type - actually more hygenic than the western type in that environment.

Often these are also the shower, lower a grating and take a shower. In a lower class place the shower water flushes the 'toilet' in practice. No exaggeration, very efficient.

Never got sick from that, just wash hands often, use common sense.

Cruise ships, never an issue, same as before, wash hands and use common sense.

Well.....

we know people do get sick on cruise ships. noro, colds, flu ....

we've seen people who don't have the same hygiene standards as we do on board...

I don't wash/sanitise my cabin but like others I try not to touch surfaces outside my cabin with my hands (stair rails, elevator buttons, bathroom doors). I use a piece of clothing or a paper towel and the disabled door opener to open the bathroom doors.

I wash my hands with normal soap regularly.

When I use slot machines on the cruise, I take a small bottle of antiseptic hand wash gel to wipe the buttons and my hands.

I also take a shower whenever I return from a shore excursion or an airline flight.

It is interesting to read others' rituals

Edited by lucymorgan

Well.....

we know people do get sick on cruise ships. noro, colds, flu ....

we've seen people who don't have the same hygiene standards as we do on board...

I don't wash/sanitise my cabin but like others I try not to touch surfaces outside my cabin with my hands (stair rails, elevator buttons, bathroom doors). I use a piece of clothing or a paper towel and the disabled door opener to open the bathroom doors.

I wash my hands with normal soap regularly.

When I use slot machines on the cruise, I take a small bottle of antiseptic hand wash gel to wipe the buttons and my hands.

I also take a shower whenever I return from a shore excursion or an airline flight.

It is interesting to read others' rituals

Correct, cruise ships are nothing special. People get sick on them just like they do every where else on planet Earth. I see colds and flu every day in the office. The vast majority of these people have been no where near a cruise ship.

Some of the images from posters make me say Yikes and :eek: The only cruise I was sick on, I must have gotten on the flight down. We have to breathe on planes and not all masks keep out germs. I did wipe down the tray latch, the tray and the seat button, though.

It was after the muster drill on the ship and we were waiting for the crowd to disperse a little and I started to sneeze. I had Kleenex and stayed away from people. Back in the room I hoped I was just reacting to some of the flowers blooming everywhere in Miami and the sneezing had stopped. But by morning I knew I had a cold.

Dr. Oz once said on his show that the incubation period for a cold is 24 hours. He said we notice small things - the start of a scratchy throat, itchy eyes, sneezing, etc., and by the next day we know we have a cold. I took Advil Cold and Sinus and tried to be as careful as I could, watching what I touched and washing my hands often. None of my family got the cold. I hope nobody on the cruise did either, but I'll never know.

We cannot avoid all germs, even when we try to.

I don't care about those things. I can wash my hands before I eat or put my hands near my eyes or mouth, knowing that those things are dirty, but if it's in the room, I clean it because that reduces the amount of time I have to wash my hands when I want to relax or get ready for the day, and because I do things in my room to clean myself up where I put my hands on my face (to wash, to put on makeup), in my mouth (to brush and floss) etc, and I'd rather not have to set my toothbrush or my eyelash curler on someone's pee germs, or have some random man's private parts (or the stuff that comes out of that) all over my stuff. Sorry to be gross but I don't know why that doesn't cross some people's minds, or have you not seen what couples do in rooms on vacation? Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You've twice mentioned a random man's junk in your posts. Is there a story?

She might want to read this Story though it´s about flying, not cruising, but then most of us Need to fly to cruise.;):D:p

I'm going out and buying one of those bubble balls to wrap myself in. My only question is can I still pick my nose and eat it. I'm almost afraid to touch anything after reading all these comments. How did I ever survive my childhood? EEK, I just ate a piece of candy and did not wash my hands first.

Personally, I think some of you go way over board with the cleaning :D but if it makes you feel better, then it's certainly your choice to do so. We don't clean the room, but we do try to keep the room uncluttered to make it easier for the cabin stewards. In 40 cruises I've only been sick once, some respiratory bug, but I'd guestimate that 80% of the passengers/crew had it too. I've also never missed a day of work in my 27 years as a nurse at a mid size hospital,but perhaps I've just been lucky.:D

My grown sons are rarely sick, and I tell them it's because they were fortunate to grow up with mom who was not a clean freak!:D

Sherri:)

What would you all do on a non "western" land tour ?

I had to do third world travel in my corporate life. One example, North Africa. Ever seen the "footprint" toilets / squatter type - actually more hygenic than the western type in that environment.

Often these are also the shower, lower a grating and take a shower. In a lower class place the shower water flushes the 'toilet' in practice. No exaggeration, very efficient.

Never got sick from that, just wash hands often, use common sense.

Cruise ships, never an issue, same as before, wash hands and use common sense.

Um, they have those things in Western Europe. I've seen them in them in France. They are also common in Russia and China. They aren't just Third World oddities.

Edited by VASOXFANN

I understand keeping your cabin neat to whatever standard makes you comfortable. What I don't understand is anyone feeling the need to do the steward's work for him/her. What's that about? That's their job, they get paid for it and tipped as well, so what's with the guilt about letting them do it? I don't leave the place a mess or make their life difficult, but I don't feel any guilt about letting someone clean up after me if that's their job.

Since I read an article about airline cleanliness or lack thereof I always wipe down the tray area. Report stated it had high concentration of bacteria, stands to reason and with quick turnarounds with flights this could be missed.

With so many cruisers flying to cruise this could be a reason why some get sick.

I am not too concerned in my cabin (even taking into account the random man), I have faith in my cabin steward doing his/her job efficiently.

As mentioned earlier good hygiene and common sense.

I do wipe down the cabin with Lysol wipes when we first arrive. I got Noro on my first cruise, so I am extra careful. Other than the one cleaning of common things we touch, lots of hand washing and avoid touching my face. So far, so good. It takes 5 minutes and gives me peace of mind

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Forums mobile app

Thanks all of you above...this has been a very entertaining read today :D

I recognize many of you from your screen names..but now know probably more than I wanted to about some of you :)

Edited by Ashland

I understand keeping your cabin neat to whatever standard makes you comfortable. What I don't understand is anyone feeling the need to do the steward's work for him/her. What's that about? That's their job, they get paid for it and tipped as well, so what's with the guilt about letting them do it? I don't leave the place a mess or make their life difficult, but I don't feel any guilt about letting someone clean up after me if that's their job.

I didn't see anyone feeling guilt. If you understand others keeping their cabin neat as a comfort level then you should understand some people just want to make the steward's job a little easier.

We don't put towels or clothes on the floor, and keep our stateroom picked up, because I don't like messiness at home and I am no different on the ship, I certainly don't want to make more work for the steward.

We keep all dishes and glasses on a tray, then ask the steward to take them or give them to room service as needed.

This time, we're at the end of a deck, so it will be interesting to see how things go.

Not quite as extreme as OP but I do have Lysol wipes that I give everything a quick once over with. I do the same on airline seats/tray tables.

I also keep the cabin reasonably tidy and would never expect anyone to pick things off the floor, mute point really as nothing gets thrown on the floor.

I am an over packer, don't care about that either, but I have a lot of little things and gadgets to help keep the cabins tidy and utilize space so nothing is lying around as such.

Edited by CELTICGIRLCRUISER

Hi

If people feel more comfortable doing a thorough cleaning of their cabin, or anywhere else they frequent, good for them. Personally I can't imagine going to the lengths that some have stated.

If I spill something or make a mess, I will clean up after myself, but I certainly won't make an effort to sanitize. If I was as fearful as some appear, I probably wouldn't venture out without gloves and mask. I certainly would try to avoid crowds, after all how could I be sure I wasn't missing something.

Anyways, that isn't why I am writing. I was curious in seeing that the OP is allowed to bring a bottle of rubbing alcohol no board. I know Carnival won't even let you bring on a "bottle" let alone one containing alcohol.

I can only hope that I get the cabin after one of the thorough cleaner has travelled. Can't hurt. :)

have a great cruise