OMG.... Slamming Doors

Could be some anger behind that slam.

Yes. The first day, standing at their door, they looked at OUR door and sneered, "We didn't know the doors were going to be so close together!"

That was a real head-scratching moment.

They put their suitcases IN FRONT OF OUR DOOR on the final night.

:eek:

Yes. The first day, standing at their door, they looked at OUR door and sneered, "We didn't know the doors were going to be so close together!"

Nice people.:rolleyes:

Nice people.:rolleyes:

Oh, I forgot the best part.

I was standing there, just staring at their suitcases, when they came out of their cabin. I said, "Your suitcases are in front of our door!"

She said..............................

wait for it......................................

"Oh, I didn't notice your door there."

:rolleyes: :D :rolleyes: :D

Oh, I forgot the best part.

I was standing there, just staring at their suitcases, when they came out of their cabin. I said, "Your suitcases are in front of our door!"

She said..............................

"Oh, I didn't notice your door there."

:rolleyes: :D :rolleyes: :D

You should have replied "my door is the one you weren't slamming during the Cruise!"

Love that name.

Leaving a note or saying anything usually results in more noise. No earplugs or white noise machine blocks it. On a cruise there are many late night activities so the coming and going is worst.

Since people are rude the only option is for hotels and cruise ships to change the door but that requires money.

Last cruise the slam family of parents and a teenager 2 cabins down set a record since I have started keeping track (can't sleep so I amuse myself). From midnight to 1AM they came and went 56 door slams. The next morning they had out the do not disturb sign. I used a house phone to call their cabin, when they groggily answered the phone I told them I would be calling them back the number of times they slammed their door after midnight. I got to 10 calls before they disconnected their phone. Next night no door slamming, but still loud talk and cursing.

I used a house phone to call their cabin, when they groggily answered the phone I told them I would be calling them back the number of times they slammed their door after midnight.

Sounds like a plan! I may give it a try! I realize an occasional slam may be unintentional, but when it becomes continuous . . . and it's the same people doing it . . . :mad:

Well I am glad to see others have had problems with this other than us. It is just plain rude to let your door slam when you walk out or in. Please be considerate to others and take the door and let it shut gently. This has waked us up every day starting early in the morning and one already knows not to have both balcony door open and your hallway door open for the wind tunnel effect. Just saying....tired of it.

This ^^^^^ !

Our Majesty cruise in 2007 we were in an inside stateroom right next to where the crew enters and leaves and blam blam blam all night went the door.

This happened to us on Independence. It was horrible during early morning room service hours. I called guest services (it was so loud it woke us up every morning) and it would stop for a minute and then start up again.

When we got home I sent an emailed to RCCL and suggested some sort of mechanism for these doors to cut down on the slamming. A few days later I received a phone call to apologize and a credit to a future cruise. It was unexpected but appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by brenderlou

We did too - that is because Harmony was build so cheap without proper insulation in cabins - we have never had that on any other ship.

Harmony has sooo many flaws - she is just hyped right now!:rolleyes:

WOW - we'd love to see what facts support those inaccurate claims. Please provide a detailed list of the "flaws" so that they can be carefully reviewed and refuted. :rolleyes:

Fact is Harmony was actually built with more cabin soundproofing/insulation.

The noise anyone hears depends mostly on cabin location (including what is located across the hallway to help "echo" the sound, such as another cabin) - as well as the key factor -how much force the idiots who slam the door use or assist in that process. There certainly are cruisers who simply lack courtesy, common sense, or class towards their fellow cruising passengers.

We've had such wacko "neighbors" just once...and simply reported them to the room attendant after the first time. It never happened again.

Well I am glad to see others have had problems with this other than us. It is just plain rude to let your door slam when you walk out or in. Please be considerate to others and take the door and let it shut gently. This has waked us up every day starting early in the morning and one already knows not to have both balcony door open and your hallway door open for the wind tunnel effect. Just saying....tired of it.

I totally agree. Try cruising Carnival, who has the swinging balcony doors instead of sliders. When you get stuck next to the brain dead, which I always seem to do, you get the door slamming from both ends.

Fact is Harmony was actually built with more cabin soundproofing/insulation.

Please provide facts to that claim!

I seriously doubt that - as almost everybody we spoke to - admitted that their cabin was more noisy than on other ships.

A fact is also that we have NEVER been on a ship where you could hear ANY of your neighbours flush their toilet - on Harmony you can keep track of all the cabins around you using their bathrooms:D!

Another fact confirmed by many fellow passengers....

Please provide facts to that claim!

I seriously doubt that - as almost everybody we spoke to - admitted that their cabin was more noisy than on other ships.

A fact is also that we have NEVER been on a ship where you could hear ANY of your neighbours flush their toilet - on Harmony you can keep track of all the cabins around you using their bathrooms:D!

None of your statements are facts...they are firsthand observations.

Feel free to consult with some of the RCI engineering or other staff who frequent this website to get confirmation about the errors in your statement about construction.

The volume or frequency of noise is based on the people who generate it, not what you claim about design/construction.

None of your statements are facts...they are firsthand observations.

Feel free to consult with some of the RCI engineering or other staff who frequent this website to get confirmation about the errors in your statement about construction.

The volume or frequency of noise is based on the people who generate it, not what you claim about design/construction.

So all your statement was is - bla bla bla :rolleyes:.....no proof or facts or first hand observations:p...

Hearing the toilets in the cabins flush that are around you is a FACT!

It is also a FACT that such noise was never observed by us on any other ship but the mis-designed Harmony!

The noise a toilet makes when it is flushed and how that sound travels up and down the deck and even decks - does NOT depend on how and who presses the button - correct?:cool::D

BTW the "toilet problem" was first addressed by the media and reviews after the maiden voyage of Harmony - the problem still exists today - but the impact is not as big as it used to be back then.....also the first cruise where we had the toilet-function break down 3 times...also very common to fellow passengers much more common than an other ships - another design problem of Harmony it seems...

Edited by germanfflyer

I would have been tempted to remove the tags while moving them away from the door:D

I would have been tempted to remove the tags while moving them away from the door:D

I would simply have moved their luggage to in front of their door before they came out. This would have provided them with a very good lesson on why you don't put your luggage in front of the adjacent cabin door. :D

I would simply have moved their luggage to in front of their door before they came out. This would have provided them with a very good lesson on why you don't put your luggage in front of the adjacent cabin door. :D

Pretty simple isn't it really.

So all your statement was is - bla bla bla :rolleyes:.....no proof or facts or first hand observations:p...

Hearing the toilets in the cabins flush that are around you is a FACT!

We've heard other cabin toilets flush on every cruise ship we've ever sailed...that is nothing unique. :rolleyes:

Based on that statement and others, it is clear those posts are simply vents or ways/reasons to hear one's self complain. So be it.

In the mean time the rest of us will continue to enjoy our cruises.

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001

Pretty simple isn't it really.

Indeed a good way to address this scenario - it's not the end of the world like some proclaim.

I'm not arguing. I just have a theory. I noticed an increase in noise when RCI and Celebrity went to this cabin design of having neighboring doors right next to one another, rather than in the middle of the room like on other ships. Now, every time a door slams, your wall flexes and it sounds like it was your own door that was slammed closed. Plus, you hear more conversation because when your neighbor has a visitor, they're chatting right outside your door.

Ref the toilet thing...I've always heard neighboring toilets flushing.

We've heard other cabin toilets flush on every cruise ship we've ever sailed...that is nothing unique. :rolleyes:

Based on that statement and others, it is clear those posts are simply vents or ways/reasons to hear one's self complain. So be it.

In the mean time the rest of us will continue to enjoy our cruises.

We have also always heard the toilets flush on cruises, especially at night when it is more quiet. You can hear toilets flushing in some hotels at night also.

I also hate the door slamming, but I'm not going to let it ruin my cruise. If it becomes an issue then I will complain to guest services.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm not arguing. I just have a theory. I noticed an increase in noise when RCI and Celebrity went to this cabin design of having neighboring doors right next to one another, rather than in the middle of the room like on other ships. Now, every time a door slams, your wall flexes and it sounds like it was your own door that was slammed closed. Plus, you hear more conversation because when your neighbor has a visitor, they're chatting right outside your door.

Ref the toilet thing...I've always heard neighboring toilets flushing.

Sounds like a good theory!

We were never disturbed by other toklets before....either they were louder this time or we were more observant - we will see once we will have our next cruise on a more decent ship!

Edited by germanfflyer