Celebrity Edge's Blocks Are In The House!

Lloyd555

Since this will be my first Celebrity cruise, I have no way to make a valid comparison on some things being discussed. As I have said, I think the ship overall is beautiful and I like that Celebrity is doing something different.

I have seen many references to S Class though here. So for those of you that have sailed on Celebrity S Class, RCI Quantum Class and TUI Mein Schiff Class (steamboat and others), what are your thoughts? What are the glaring pluses and missed opportunities?

You will enjoy it as it’s higher end product, but not stuffy. The crowd does not go sleep at 10pm either. Different and the edge is different by itself, specially with the price.

All the ships I have been on for the past 10 years or more have all had that alternating design where the portion with the bed is wider than the living area... I think that is standard. From what I saw on a video... one thing they did was to move the structural wall from the exterior to the interior wall of the cabin... that means there is less steel around the window... helping to bring in more light. One nice thing with the dull neutral colors is that they can brighten and periodically change it up by adding brightly colored pillows and that runner they tend to have at the end of the bed. That electrical box really bugs me. It really looks like someone messed up and this was an after thought so they could keep that sliding out table.

One idea for storage for the next ship... is to have the art piece be designed so that it could be opened up and shelves fold down... so that you could use it for storage or just an art piece. Kinda like the way TVs over fireplace can be hidden by a piece of art. There is just so much little stuff that doesn't belong in the bathroom storage and not necessarily in drawer either. Cameras', binoculars, lap tops, books, CPAP bag, sunglasses, hats, etc. I have never felt the need to packing storage stuff or magnets for hanging stuff on the walls. I am not the neatest person at home... but I really don't like having my cabin look like a dump with stuff stacked up on the sofa because there is no other place for it. With that said.... surely they know this... I am counting on secret storage in the rounded corner near closet. One other comment. What I really liked about some Royal ships and S class. Is the rounded ends of the bed... that add space and do you really need that corner for sleeping? Also... many of the pieces of furniture are also rounded.. Nice not to have pointed corners to run in during high seas.. so I am surprised that they did not round the edges of some of these pieces.

Great comment

But, they have no outlets throughout except the box ?

This is minimal design from Europe 1930’s. So they will have of arts and colored pillows, like they do in all there ships.

5. Where did the glass top small table of S ships go? Where the room service tray would land – that pitiful trunk-alike “chair” won’t hold it, and the balcony table has side handles popping up, so the standard room service tray will not fit there – unless Edge would have a special ones, but then you all know that even a standard hotel room service tray is about 2 ft wide…
As you can see in this screen grab which I took from Cruise Trade News' Instagram account, the side handles appear to flip out of the way to accommodate a tray. (link to source video here:
)

I think this highlights the point that until we have "real world" reviews we won't really know how functional / great / awful / somewhere in the middle these staterooms are compared to Solstice Class. But I would certainly avoid booking Edge -- or any new class of ship -- prior to revenue voyages with reviews from bonafide paying passengers if certain cabin features or amenities were essential to my enjoyment of a cruise vacation.

table.png

Edited to add: the more I look at other images, the more I am thinking that perhaps the table top can be flipped over to get the handles out of the way (either way, it seems that the designers were aware of the desire that many passengers have with regard to room service tray placement). I think we need to give the talented folk who dreamt up and created this ship a chance for their work to be experienced and reviewed by real passengers prior to making assumptions. There's a reason why some developers will not allow their property to be viewed prior to absolute completion.

Edited by jsea

Way to much negativity by so many. Change can be a good thing. Lloyds photo's have been spectacular but a photo only shows so much. I can't imagine there will be that much less storage than in the past. Celebrity has always done of creating a great cruise experience. I believe this ship wil be no different. I for one will always make the best of any cruise that I am on. Like many previous cruises I hear people say how dissatisfied with the service my wife and I look at each other and say they must be on a different ship. I can't wait to get on this spectacular new ship 4/14/2019. Again Lloyd thanks again

Way to much negativity by so many. Change can be a good thing. Lloyds photo's have been spectacular but a photo only shows so much. I can't imagine there will be that much less storage than in the past. Celebrity has always done of creating a great cruise experience. I believe this ship wil be no different. I for one will always make the best of any cruise that I am on. Like many previous cruises I hear people say how dissatisfied with the service my wife and I look at each other and say they must be on a different ship. I can't wait to get on this spectacular new ship 4/14/2019. Again Lloyd thanks again

Dittos & Amen!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Ditto

:cool:

I agree with you. I have been away for a couple of weeks and as I'm reading to catch up I sense this previously positive board has taken a turn to the negative after actual photo releases. Too bad really. I guess the reality does not match the fantasy for some. Others need to be the first to describe everything they don't like. As for me, I need to focus on the many positives of this beautiful new ship. Some will call me a biased cheerleader. If I wanted to compare everything on Edge to what is better on S-Class (which I also love) I would just save a lot of money and sail S-Class. I also want to very much thank all of you for posting pictures and videos. Hats off to LLoyd!

Most of us have posted far more positive comments than negative these past months. It’s natural to compare a new ship to ones we’ve sailed in the past. It’s also natural that we have individual likes and dislikes. While I quickly became annoyed with the endless negativity from people who weren’t even booked on Edge, I respect the posts made by those who, like myself, are booked on her. And I need not agree with everything they say for me to read their posts with an open mind.

I agree with you. I have been away for a couple of weeks and as I'm reading to catch up I sense this previously positive board has taken a turn to the negative after actual photo releases. Too bad really. I guess the reality does not match the fantasy for some. Others need to be the first to describe everything they don't like. As for me, I need to focus on the many positives of this beautiful new ship. Some will call me a biased cheerleader. If I wanted to compare everything on Edge to what is better on S-Class (which I also love) I would just save a lot of money and sail S-Class. I also want to very much thank all of you for posting pictures and videos. Hats off to LLoyd!
Thanks.

Hats off to all the Edge's visitors who took all the great photos!

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

All the ships I have been on for the past 10 years or more have all had that alternating design where the portion with the bed is wider than the living area... I think that is standard. From what I saw on a video... one thing they did was to move the structural wall from the exterior to the interior wall of the cabin... that means there is less steel around the window... helping to bring in more light. One nice thing with the dull neutral colors is that they can brighten and periodically change it up by adding brightly colored pillows and that runner they tend to have at the end of the bed. That electrical box really bugs me. It really looks like someone messed up and this was an after thought so they could keep that sliding out table.

One idea for storage for the next ship... is to have the art piece be designed so that it could be opened up and shelves fold down... so that you could use it for storage or just an art piece. Kinda like the way TVs over fireplace can be hidden by a piece of art. There is just so much little stuff that doesn't belong in the bathroom storage and not necessarily in drawer either. Cameras', binoculars, lap tops, books, CPAP bag, sunglasses, hats, etc. I have never felt the need to packing storage stuff or magnets for hanging stuff on the walls. I am not the neatest person at home... but I really don't like having my cabin look like a dump with stuff stacked up on the sofa because there is no other place for it. With that said.... surely they know this... I am counting on secret storage in the rounded corner near closet. One other comment. What I really liked about some Royal ships and S class. Is the rounded ends of the bed... that add space and do you really need that corner for sleeping? Also... many of the pieces of furniture are also rounded.. Nice not to have pointed corners to run in during high seas.. so I am surprised that they did not round the edges of some of these pieces.

I re-watched that video this morning where they introduce the IV cabin and there were 5 points that Celebrity said people requested. They were: larger bathroom, larger bed, larger living space, more storage, and more of a connection to the sea. I think with the IV cabin, they succeeded in meeting 4 of those points. They did not meet the request for more storage IMO. I just don't understand Celebrity's thinking on the storage issue.

Can anyone tell from the photos so far, what the dimensions of the chest of drawers are? With two people in a cabin, I see the top drawer being used for "stuff", and then each person has 1 drawer for clothing.

I wish they would put two nice big drawers under the sofa. That would be great storage.

I would like to know Celebrity's reasoning for the electrical storage box to be on the counter and the size that it is, because, I do agree, it is ugly. Maybe there is some new regulation that we do not know about. Even if they just put the strip on the counter, it would have taken up less space.

In any case, the public spaces looks very nice and I'm excited to be on it in Dec.

3. Why would one change the glass door-covered shelves in the bathroom (on S ships) with the open ones, without even small rails, like it is accustomed on the ships EVERYWHERE, to protect your stuff of falling down on the rough seas…
I see small rails in the photos (perhaps so small as to not be very functional for keeping taller items from tipping off?). Will be interesting to see what sort of (if any) doored storage is available under the sink or elsewhere in the bathrooms. Couples / pairs traveling together may like this "shelving parity" when compared to S Class ships where there was only one side of higher level shelving.

Great image courtesy cruisetricks.de / steamboats' DH -- thank you. https://www.cruisetricks.de/werftbesuch-celebrity-edge-eindruecke-bilder-neuigkeiten/

bathroom.png

Some thoughts on prior comments:

I like the idea of the outlet box. This eliminates the snaking charging cords on exposed surfaces you find in hotel rooms and cruise cabins. The box looks large enough to put a few cell phones inside to get them out of the way. Even losing the space is a lot neater than a tangle of cords. Slots in the side would allow cords to be run outside if you have something larger to charge. I would guess most people are like me and tuck away their phones during a cruise as you would normally not use it on the ship or in foreign ports. As this ship has you using a smartphone as an option, I would think they gave thought to the need to keep it charged.

There have been many negative comments on this and other threads as to c-pap machines. I bring mine and someone in the ship's crew runs an extension cord to the bed and tapes it to the floor with a wide tape designed for the purpose.l It doesn't look great but works fine. As to space on the bedside table, the machines have become a lot smaller and I see no problem. If you travel a lot, it might be worth purchasing a portable machine that doesn't need to be plugged in.

As to tables and chairs, I seem to recall most staterooms don't get lounge chairs unless they're a larger suite with a big balcony. I'm sure "X" puts items such as furniture out to bid and decision makers sit in a lot of chairs before making a decision. The veranda table seems clever. If it flips over, that means it can be removed from the base. The handles would be so you could take the top inside like a tray, put refreshments on it and carry them out. The inside table may be small but there might be plans when used for room service. I seem to recall, on Regent, one of the few times we ordered room service they brought a tray that nested on the table using it as a base for a larger surface.

It seems strange that nobody took photos of the INSIDE of the closets, at least none that saw. How much actual storage there is would be only a guess.

Ecslady, we haven’t yet seen the interior of the closet, possibly because they’re not yet finished. If they have provided shelves, as well as space to hang clothes, they may have met the goal of more storage. Shelves in a portion of the closet seem logical because they’d probably place the safe on one of the shelves. We also haven’t seen the area under the bathroom counter. I agree that the recent photos of the public areas of the ship are very beautiful, and I’m looking forward to my April sailing:)

Edited by Silkroad

Thanks.

Hats off to all the Edge's visitors who took all the great photos!

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Yes, they did a great job, but you and your contacts are the best.. and have been from the beginning of this exciting adventure.

KUDOS TO LLOYD AND FRIENDS!

We enjoy all of our cruises as well but are not plunking down big bucks to "make the best of it" .esp for EDGE which is extra big bucks....esp for 2 booked cruises on her!

Ships overall looks amazing but the IV veranda cabins, other than the bathrooms, are not showing very well...More emphasis seems placed on tech stuff like running the window up and down than on the furniture , cabin artwork and decor. Hope it will look more appealing once we board.!.. Fingers crossed!

Way to much negativity by so many. Change can be a good thing.

I agree completely. So much bitching and moaning about nonsense. I mean no one has even sailed on the ship yet. Give it a chance. If you sail on it and still hate it, fair enough. There are hundreds of other ships to choose from.

I recently sailed on MSC SEASIDE. Storage space was very limited on that ship as well. Basically the small closet and nothing else. No drawers at all in the dresser and no cubby holes. Would I have preferred more storage space? Absolutely. Amazingly it didn’t ruin the cruise and I certainly didn’t dwell on it. Life goes on.

All the ships I have been on for the past 10 years or more have all had that alternating design where the portion with the bed is wider than the living area... I think that is standard.

It’s called an interlocking design and I believe the Solstice Class were the first ships to introduce it. Now it is fairly standard although not every new ship has adopted it. The newest Princess and Carnival ships are still the standard rectangle.

Why is it done? Revenue of course. When the Solstice Class ships were under construction, Royal Caribbean/Celebrity made a pretty big deal about the interlocking design, and how it enables about 10 more cabins per deck compared to standard rectangle cabins in the same amount of space.

I agree completely. So much bitching and moaning about nonsense. I mean no one has even sailed on the ship yet. Give it a chance. If you sail on it and still hate it, fair enough. There are hundreds of other ships to choose from.

I recently sailed on MSC SEASIDE. Storage space was very limited on that ship as well. Basically the small closet and nothing else. No drawers at all in the dresser and no cubby holes. Would I have preferred more storage space? Absolutely. Amazingly it didn’t ruin the cruise and I certainly didn’t dwell on it. Life goes on.

Wow., we pack wisely but bring our cruise clothes...part of the enjoyment!

Sounds like MSC not for me as I already suspected,. Good to know,

Ecslady, we haven’t yet seen the interior of the closet, possibly because they’re not yet finished. If they have provided shelves, as well as space to hang clothes, they may have met the goal of more storage. Shelves in a portion of the closet seem logical because they’d probably place the safe on one of the shelves. We also haven’t seen the area under the bathroom counter. I agree that the recent photos of the public areas of the ship are very beautiful, and I’m looking forward to my April sailing:)

I can't wait to see pics of the inside of the closet, and I do hope there are some shelves in there. :) If there are I'm thinking the bottom half of one side with the safe, and then there would be an area to hang shorter items. The other side of the closet for longer items. Time will tell.

I decided to do some close scrutinizing. Indeed one can find things that seem unsatisfactory, not necessarily to everyone but to some people. It's okay. Different strokes for different folks, if you will. What concerns me might not concern you and vice versa. It's all good. Here's what I'm seeing.

The telephone cord is too long for it's placement next to the bed. For a sound sleeper with restless leg syndrome, you might just get caught up in that cord, toe dial room service at 3:00am and tie yourself to the bed trying to get free. At the same time, the cord is not long enough. If I want to sit on my infinite balcony drinking a Bluefish Martini, inhaling the fresh sea air and talking to one of you good folks about all these deficiencies, I can't.

If the bed is near the bathroom, the picture over the sofa near the balcony is distorted and rendered unattractive by the glare from the daylight. Perhaps this set-up should be for nighttime cruises only.

I'm hoping the toilet paper is an over, not an under. No pictures of that yet. I'm assuming it is ambidextrous in it's unraveling.

In all the pictures, people are wearing hard hats on the decks. I hope this is not a new requirement that whenever we are outside, we must wear a hard hat. If that's the case, I'll have to bring two bathing suits. A hard hat does not go with a European Speedo. Got to wear board shorts with that.

In the cabin pictures, looking toward the door. In some there is a person standing there. Like Air Marshalls, are these folks Sea Marshalls? I don't know about you, but I don't want anyone standing inside my door all night. I'll settle for less safety and more privacy. That's just me.

Finally, those large elephant ear thingies ( I called X, that's what they're called), what are they for? Reminds me of props used in some fancy Las Vegas Show Girl shows. Actually, never mind. They might not be too bad after all....just sayin'.